Advertisement

Author Topic: How to deal with Hmong people who don't like their own culture  (Read 5613 times)

Buttercup

How to deal with Hmong people who don't like their own culture
« on: January 21, 2016, 12:31:23 AM »
Have you come across Hmong people who don't like their own culture and are xenocentric?  How do you deal with them?  Do you teach them?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1323
    • View Profile
Re: How to deal with Hmong people who don't like their own culture
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 12:38:28 AM »
Have you come across Hmong people who don't like their own culture and are xenocentric?  How do you deal with them?  Do you teach them?

Depends...due to different variables, what I do can vary from individual to individual.

dust

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 12:51:32 AM »

Yes. I ignore them.

If a person doesn't have a problem with not liking their own people group, then I shouldn't try to make it into a problem. It's not my job to convince them otherwise because it's their life and their decision to make. Whether I agree or like their decision is irrelevant.

Buttercup

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 02:06:08 AM »
Yes. I ignore them.

If a person doesn't have a problem with not liking their own people group, then I shouldn't try to make it into a problem. It's not my job to convince them otherwise because it's their life and their decision to make. Whether I agree or like their decision is irrelevant.
I have friends who ignore everything that is Hmong but follow all American traditions and holidays.  They are neither religious or follow any Hmong cultural traditions like hu plig and jingle bells.

It is awkward to see them as Hmong, guess you can call them Asian American?

I like your approach.  Said what I said in way shorter words. 
Just mind your own business and yea. :)

Wish more people were like you.

- Now that I think of it.  You can apply this to just about anything.
Mind your own business when it's such trivial matters that serves no significance to your life.  Don't make it a bigger issue than it needs to be.

The world (atleast America) would be so much better if people would just mind their own business on such trivial matters.
We can ignore them and mind our own business but is it our responsibility as a HMONG person to guide them back to their roots?  The American tradition is a compilation of many different cultures from around the world not just one if you really look at it.  Kind like how we've borrowed ideas, words, and traditions from other Asian cultures and adopted them into Hmong tradition—how do we even know that our traditions were originated by Hmong people?  Most of our history is by word of mouth.

Offline starchaser1989

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 05:52:54 AM »
You can't do nothing.  Whatever you preach goes in one ear and out the other.  Their mind is already made up.  You can't help a person who don't want help bcus change have to come from them first.  Even when they know you are right they will have excuses and reasons to back up their BS.  Sad, but oh well you can't save everybody. 

Lyn Song

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 06:25:21 AM »

Lyn has met a few but they had their reason. Only thing Lyn could do for them is to respect who they are. In times maybe they will become a someone of interest for Lyn. ;)

Offline Superan

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 07:02:33 AM »

Culture as in religion? History? Proud to be Hmong?
As a Hmong woman in today's society, how do you feel about Hmong always suppress their female counter part as 2nd class citizen  as part of their culture?

'MELT AWAY WITH ME"

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 07:38:25 AM »
Overly stating the obvious but let them be. Everyone is due their own slice of the proverbial pie.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 09:38:35 AM »
You can't do nothing.  Whatever you preach goes in one ear and out the other.  Their mind is already made up. 

Agree for some, just like how you can't stop cheating spouse that already made up their mind.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 09:41:20 AM »
I had a White Professor that is ashamed of being White because of what his people have done to the natives...For him, I don't say anything because he formed an educated opinion on the matter...not just spewing ignorance.

Offline Mengo

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 09:41:51 AM »
The Hmong culture so the primitive, me no like.

TheDeviousOne

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 09:45:57 AM »
I donut caring. 

yuknowthat

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 10:43:06 AM »
I no k, not I phov-blem...they can let live and hate their culture as they like. They still ha mung. :2funny:

Offline joot

• Jr. Poster
  • Lonewolf & Cub
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 10:52:30 AM »
What exactly do you mean culture?  Like they don't like attending Hmong New Year?  Not liking tying the strings around birthday boy's hands?  Give us an example please.  It's too broad...

Offline Yebleng

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 01:12:02 PM »
Kind of like Stacey Dash wanting BET and Black History month wiped away? I feel sorry for her and people who thinks like her.

Advertisements