Advertisement

Author Topic: 2018...smaller than the miata...detuned type R motor....  (Read 3367 times)

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
2018...smaller than the miata...detuned type R motor....
« on: May 29, 2016, 01:43:31 PM »
That is the rumor going on..

The new s2k will be smaller than the miata with way more power possibly from a detuned type R motor....so I'm expecting somewhere around 270-280 HP with the car weighing around 2900 lbs.  Set to be released as soon as 2018.

Wow, can't wait!  Obviously I won't be buying it of the shelf but.. .I can't wait to see it released and see it's performance numbers.

Like this post: 0
I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Adverstisement

Sifu

Re: 2018...smaller than the miata...detuned type R motor....
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »
If it wants to be successful then it needs to fight the Miata; especially at the price point.  S2K was asking a good chunk of change for a two seated brand new.

Hitokiri

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:48:56 AM »
Let's make one point here clear - the MX-5 and the S2000 care not in the same class. The only cars that are in the same class and price range as the S2000 is the 370Z (are they still making that car?) and maybe the lower level Porsches like the Cayman (are they still making that car?).

All fingers are pointing towards a larger car with 300+ horsepower. Why would Honda make one of their flagship cars smaller and less horsepower then their Honda Civic? If Honda is trying to beat the Miata with the S2000 that's pretty sad because their aim should be Porsche.

Sifu

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:58:50 AM »
I'm saying that if they want the S2k to be successful then they need to stick it to the Miata.  If they want racing pedigree then there's only one way to do that and that's to go race Porsche.  I highly doubt the latter will happen.  Not many people will pay $50k+ for a roadster but people will buy Porsches all day long.  They're going to need more than 300hp to give a Boxster, Cayman or 911 to take a second look.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Hitokiri

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 12:50:03 PM »
http://blog.caranddriver.com/rumor-honda-to-celebrate-its-70th-anniversary-with-new-s2000-roadster/

The link to what I read

So basically it's going to be as big as today's MX5 with a lot more horsepower which isn't too much of change from before. Today's MX-5 is about 13 feet long and 4.5 feet wide which is about the same deminisions as the last model S2000. With all that extra power I bet you the next S2000 would not only be fast but stupid fast. The Civic Type-R is rumored to have almost 310 HP if not more. Even if the S2000 loses 20-30 HP it's still a 12 second car or at least VERY low 13 second car. With all that power and torque though I wonder what kind of transmission they're going to put on that thing.

Sifu

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 02:46:49 PM »
They'd probably use the Civic Type R transmission.   :D

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 02:51:21 PM »
If my main focus was on power, I wouldn't even consider it. I would rather spend $39k and get that brand new 700HP Stang I posted about a few weeks ago with my money.

Sifu

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 03:31:14 PM »
The focus has never been power but the roadster market is already SLIM!  So Honda wants to nip at some Merc, BMW and Porsche sales.  They will need a compelling argument for that to happen.  The original S2K did pretty good but sales went south during the mid 2000's.  Used ones go from $9k-$15k so they're a great deal for the money now. 

A roadster is all about driving experience and expression.   If it wants to capture the higher European flare then it has a LONG way to go.  Not ragging on the Miata either; it's been pretty solid and a benchmark for roadsters and club racers.  Plus it's reliable and affordable.

But if they're gunning for Porsche then they're going to need to be on point. 

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 01:47:12 AM »
I hope they don't go too minimalist on it, to fetch a high price it needs at least a good navi/ infotainment, obviously leather, like good leather, a nice stereo system as well.  That's all I'm asking for! 

Envy2

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 11:11:08 AM »
As long as Honda don't bust a FRS they would be fine.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:14:49 AM by Envy2 »

Sifu

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 11:31:52 AM »
Honda should totally bust an FRS/BRZ.  The competition would only make the segment better.  Look at the mid size market?  You cannot tell me that the competition is fierce among most mid size car offerings.

Hitokiri

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 04:16:49 PM »
Honda should totally bust an FRS/BRZ.  The competition would only make the segment better.  Look at the mid size market?  You cannot tell me that the competition is fierce among most mid size car offerings.

When you look at the mid-size RWD sports cars - there aren't any. For years it was dominated by the 350Z and S2000. The FRS/BRZ would have done well but they were underpowered. I think if they had an extra 50 HP then they would have dominated the markets much like the other two cars before them did. If the S2000 comes as they said above then there's really nothing to stop the S2000 besides Porsche but Porsche is a luxury brand so that takes it out of the picture. I'm not even sure the S2000 would have any competitors in it class mostly if it remains RWD.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 05:18:51 PM »
They are coming out with a s2000 type r as well.

Offline Boost

• Jr. Poster
  • "Year Of The Dragon"
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 08:50:40 PM »
Smaller than the Miata?  The S2000 is already kind of too small. lol. 

GR Supra - Armaspeed, AWE, Function Werk, Forge, JB4..
S2000 - AP1 w/AP2 Swap, GT35, Haltech, AEM, Tial, T1R..
RX400h - Hybrid

Advertisements