Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong Christians on same last name relationships (taboo)  (Read 4874 times)

pseudonym

Hmong Christians on same last name relationships (taboo)
« on: June 11, 2016, 10:21:07 PM »
The majority of hardcore Hmong Christians I've met still blindly follow the obsolete traditional Hmong rule of no dating anyone of your last name.

Hmong people, Christian or otherwise, what is the logic and reasoning behind this if according to Christianity, everyone is descendents of (strangely and conveniently European-named) Adam and Eve.

Confused!  Help!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline joot

• Jr. Poster
  • Lonewolf & Cub
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Re: Hmong Christians on same last name relationships (taboo)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 10:01:23 AM »
^^ Dudes, you do not have to be a Christian to "blindly" date anyone with same last name.  This is a very well know Hmong social TABOO, it's a NO-NO.  Don't do it.  There is a reason for it...

pseudonym

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 06:55:50 PM »
^^ Dudes, you do not have to be a Christian to "blindly" date anyone with same last name.  This is a very well know Hmong social TABOO, it's a NO-NO.  Don't do it.  There is a reason for it...

I think you misread my questions, but what is the reason behind it being a "taboo", and what religion do you practice?  How does that religion affect your logic behind it?

Offline joot

• Jr. Poster
  • Lonewolf & Cub
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 07:39:51 AM »
Religion has NOTHING to do with that Hmong social taboo...I don't get why you equate religion with that taboo at all...simple answer to that taboo...would you marry your sister (yang marrying yang)? 

Like this post: +1

pseudonym

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 12:02:11 AM »
Religion has NOTHING to do with that Hmong social taboo...I don't get why you equate religion with that taboo at all...simple answer to that taboo...would you marry your sister (yang marrying yang)?

Uh.  Okay.

*Nods awkwardly.

Moving right along. 

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +248
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 07:47:56 PM »
The majority of hardcore Hmong Christians I've met still blindly follow the obsolete traditional Hmong rule of no dating anyone of your last name.

Hmong people, Christian or otherwise, what is the logic and reasoning behind this if according to Christianity, everyone is descendents of (strangely and conveniently European-named) Adam and Eve.

Confused!  Help!

This has nothing to do with Hmong Christian... it's the tradition that Hmong believe in. Even Hmong that are not Christian forbid marrying within clans (people with the same last name).
Now-a-days... if two men or two women can married each other, Hmong can marry anyone they want. It's all fair game from now on.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 10:53:11 PM »
This again!  :idiot2:

You obviously do not understand the significance of the clan.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 10:54:21 PM »
There is an explanation. But the logic isn't there. Simply because the reason everyone says is that same last name is like "incest" but in reality, Hmong people already participate in "incest" with the whole aunts daughter,uncles son thing.

It is actually very logical and I have explained it numerous times before in past postings. Just because you don't comprehend doesn't make it illogical.

zena

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 01:14:01 PM »

Confused!  Help!

Hmong people mostly follow the Hmong way before their Christian beliefs.  That's the flexibility of being a Christian in this day and age.  It is second to the culture.

As for Adam and Eve being European names, they were so because it made it easier to understand for English speakers.  The Christian bible was not originally written in English.  It was written in Latin and Hebrew and later, French.  Then translated to English.  The English people just did a better job at distributing the bible.

can

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 04:50:21 PM »

Confused!  Help!

Christianity is a religion based on hypocrisy. simple as that.

Dom

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 09:05:07 AM »
Incestuous practices explain why hmong people are the way they are.  :idiot2:

Advertisements