Advertisement

Author Topic: Is a Shaman different from a Hmong Shaman?  (Read 2512 times)

unmatchable

Is a Shaman different from a Hmong Shaman?
« on: June 17, 2016, 08:10:41 AM »
Sorry for my ignorance,  but what are the differences? Is it that a Hmong Shaman practices animism? Do Shamans have their own beliefs? If you're Hmong, and called to b a Shaman, should we assume you practice Hmong Shamanism? I guess I want to know what are the core or foundational beliefs that can be universal.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Giggles_Shyly

Re: Is a Shaman different from a Hmong Shaman?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 08:56:43 AM »
So many forms of it now I don't even know either. I ask my parents a few times about the same thing. They tried to explain it to me by referencing back, "thaum koj yawg thiab koj yawm txiv lawv ua neeb mas thiaj li yog neeb qub, neeb peb hmoob ib txwm ua, cov neeb tamsi no yog neeb ntshiab lawm xwb, neeb qus", so I left it at that.

The Shamans during my parents decade are the old school ones and have been passed on spiritually throughout our clan. My parents say that the shaman spirits skip generations, I guess you have to be special or especially pick to be a shaman.

Nothing wrong with Shamanism or it's customs, I would much rather got to church, but that is my preference. I will have a say once I am married. Until then, whatever my parents say is what I will do and be religiously.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:04:28 AM by Giggles_Shyly »

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 10:42:00 PM »
They got all kind of weird shaman performance.  Look up on YouTube and some of them are just too funny because they would jump, laid on the ground, get carried, etc.  I think they are pretty much seen and classfied just like how each group/clan has their own dab qhuas.  We have 2 shaman in our clan.  They fight like shit or more like we only need one leader to follow.  If one performed the other don't show up.  Green and White Hmong shaman can be different too. 

The one nowadays are either being taught and I wouldn't trust them.  Another distant clan/relatives have 2 shaman performed together and you can find him under Vang youngest shaman on youtube. 

To me I don't used shaman or need their service as I'm not big in them for everything.  I don't want to know anything they are doing or saying.  I also don't like church.  My husband doesnt pay much attention to it just like we din't have a shrine in our home. 

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:45:40 PM by SummerBerry »

r3b1rth

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 01:35:14 PM »
A shaman is a person who communicates between this and the spirit world. They journey into the spirit world to gain wisdom and healing and are taught by their spirit guides so basically every shaman's training is unique to them. All shamanism is the same at the core, meaning they communicate between worlds... are chosen by the spirits, etc, but each culture has it's own unique practice that adapts to times but doesn't change much throughout history.

This is something interesting that happened to me just last month, I had a dream that I became a shaman, and that I had to find a yellow rock that glowed. My mother was with me. If we find the rock it would show us the way to my little brother's spirit. He was lost and (being all emotional about some shit, I don't want to put him on blast for it, lol). But we found the rock and it guided us in his direction, almost like a compass, glows stronger in the right direction. We ended up finding my brother and brought him back. Anyway, I told my mom about it because it was so weird, and I never had a dream like that before.

On another note, my mom recently became a shaman and her guides force her to wake up early in the morning to practice. I talked to her a lot about what its like and what she sees. She just started but her spirit guides are teaching her what to say and how to say things. They frequently show up in her dreams to teach her. She tells me her spirit guides take her on journeys to different places and show her different things. She doesn't really know how to communicate well yet in the spirit world but she's learning little by little.

Since she needs a lot of experience she's been soul calling each member of the family for hours and hours. As much as 4-8 hours in one sitting. She said she doesn't get tired. It's surprising because before she became a shaman my mom always complained about pain and body aches. I don't hear her complaining about that anymore. She mentioned to me that when she was soul calling for me, she had to go to Arizona (that's where I went to school) and she talked about a tall building by the river. It's weird because I worked at a tall building by the river (Hayden Ferry Lakeside) and one day I decided to go up to the top floor to watch the sunrise. When I got up there and the elevator door opened, there were things strewn all over the floor (basically this shit looked like an abandoned building). I was so scared. I quickly pressed the close button. But the door took forever to close. I forgot about it until my mom mentioned that to me. I asked her why her spirit guide took her there. She said that she has no choice, they want to take her there to call my soul back, but she also mentioned that when she got there, something freaked her out on that floor of that building. Just looking at the building below you will never think of it that way.

My aunt has the ability to be a shaman, they visit her every night but since she is not married yet and still wants to pursue her career, she's not going to be one yet. But it's always nice talking to her, she has a lot of interesting experience, and I love 'interviewing' her, lol.

Sifu

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 10:07:46 AM »
Posts have been removed.

Advertisements