Advertisement

Author Topic: What IS a Gentleman?  (Read 6642 times)

NkaujNom

What IS a Gentleman?
« on: October 12, 2016, 11:14:30 AM »
Before work, I stopped at a cafe for some hot chocolate and breakfast. While eating, a couple came and sat in the table in front of me. The lady pulled out her chair and was about to sit down. The man grabbed the chair and blocked the woman from sitting. She looked at him and then walked to the opposite side and sat down.

He then gave her an angry look and says, "I tried to be a gentleman and pull out the chair for you to sit. Are you embarrassed of me?" She responded, "No, I thought you wanted to sit there, so I came over here. Sorry. I'm not used to you pulling out my chair because you've never done that before..." Then she smiled at him and continued talking, "Thank you, but you don't have to do that. Just relax and let's have breakfast". The man sat down, picked up food and threw it at where the woman was sitting. She did not move. She then slowly took it, ate it, and said, "Don't throw my food at me anymore."

What is a gentleman? And how would you respond if you were the man or the woman?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

NkaujNom

Re: What IS a Gentleman?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 11:45:41 AM »
Yes, it was so awkward. Fighting while eating is always bad. If she already pulled out her chair, she is halfway to seating herself. The man was already too late anyways. And for her to not expect him to offer any assistance, just shows that she is independent. She was not rejecting him, so he did not need to be angry at her or throw food at her - especially if she had no idea what he was doing. It's unfortunate that unpleasant things like this even happen.

can

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »
Before work, I stopped at a cafe for some hot chocolate and breakfast. While eating, a couple came and sat in the table in front of me. The lady pulled out her chair and was about to sit down. The man grabbed the chair and blocked the woman from sitting. She looked at him and then walked to the opposite side and sat down.

He then gave her an angry look and says, "I tried to be a gentleman and pull out the chair for you to sit. Are you embarrassed of me?" She responded, "No, I thought you wanted to sit there, so I came over here. Sorry. I'm not used to you pulling out my chair because you've never done that before..." Then she smiled at him and continued talking, "Thank you, but you don't have to do that. Just relax and let's have breakfast". The man sat down, picked up food and threw it at where the woman was sitting. She did not move. She then slowly took it, ate it, and said, "Don't throw my food at me anymore."

What is a gentleman? And how would you respond if you were the man or the woman?

is it one of those places where you get your food first before sitting. they were just about to sit, how did he have food to throw at her?

NkaujNom

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 01:06:46 PM »

is it one of those places where you get your food first before sitting. they were just about to sit, how did he have food to throw at her?

Yes, this was at Tim Horton's. It's a cafe like Starbucks or Panera Bread. These places usually don't have wait service. You order your food/ drink and then you take it to your seat.

can

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 02:14:40 PM »
Yes, this was at Tim Horton's. It's a cafe like Starbucks or Panera Bread. These places usually don't have wait service. You order your food/ drink and then you take it to your seat.

what did they ordered?

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 02:14:45 PM »
the only time one should throw food at their mate is if they're going to lick it all off.  :D ;D

a gentleman should be two steps ahead of their mate, not literally but mentally.  if he was to pull the chair for her, he should have been more mindful of it and be first to act.  if his action was delayed, could have stalled her a second by pulling/holding onto her hand and motioned to push the chair in. 

a gentleman never show his negative emotions, all smiles, patience and politeness...h e waits for the right moment (usually alone time) to address his displeasure in his mate's attitude and/or behavior.

a gentleman should apologizes, whenever he makes his mate feel uncomfortable.

;D  :2funny:

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 02:16:44 PM »

what did they ordered?

Maybe OP is skipping past the minor details of the story?

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 02:17:58 PM »
Definition of a gentleman: a man who has good/well behaved manners regardless of social status and isn't particular which people he is with at the moment to use respectful and considerate speech.

I would apologize, then sympathize with the person, and lastly ensure the person I will think of their feelings if it happens again, but that is the respectable me talking.

I really don't know, it depends on the situation and place.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 03:03:01 PM »
I need your opinion on something, Giggles.

How long does it take for a man to go from a gentlemen to being himself? Say in a relationship. Is it a ruse to get in a women's bed? Does he stay a gentlemen or is it pretty words and no good deeds done?

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 04:17:24 PM »

Definitely not ones that take advantage of women that are passed out by raping them without their consent. Then when those women pressed charge, they quickly try to sweep their deeds under the rug by asking the women they raped's hand in marriage...bec ause they don't want to wear the felony label of "sex offender" forever... ;D

FetishDream

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 04:41:02 PM »
It is due to the fact that chivalry is dead.   :2funny:

Like this post: +1

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 07:47:36 AM »
I need your opinion on something, Giggles.

How long does it take for a man to go from a gentlemen to being himself? Say in a relationship. Is it a ruse to get in a women's bed? Does he stay a gentlemen or is it pretty words and no good deeds done?

Can't you be both? Finding a common ground to be yourself and show some gentlemen traits at the same time isn't very hard, right?

I am sure many men want a woman who can be themselves and be a "gentle-woman" or correct term "lady like".

If you are pretending to be a gentlemen only to gain sexual relations in a relationship then it's a "ruse", but as the relationship progresses, then anything can happen. You can either change completely or your true character will appear, which isn't bad. This by the way applies for both genders,  no segregation among females or males LOL. Plus it depends if you love the person or not?

If I didn't care for the person, I would so toss the gentleman card and be myself. Most girls like the bad guy persona, I am being honest only. (I don't want back lashing from girls, now) :2funny:

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 08:05:39 AM by Giggles_Shyly »

Like this post: +1

NkaujNom

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 04:27:16 PM »
the only time one should throw food at their mate is if they're going to lick it all off.  :D ;D

HAHAH!!! ;D

what did they ordered?

Not exactly sure. Either pancakes or some type of sandwiches and the hashbrown that the man threw. What does that have anything to do with the topic? Are you saying it was the food? :o

Maybe OP is skipping past the minor details of the story?

I'm just describing the situation according to what I saw and recall. I do not have any other extra details as to what happened before and after.

NkaujNom

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 04:34:19 PM »
It is due to the fact that chivalry is dead.   :2funny:

WTF? That's so cliche. That's like saying ladies are dead and they're all hoes now. ::)

Can't you be both? Finding a common ground to be yourself and show some gentlemen traits at the same time isn't very hard, right?

I am sure many men want a woman who can be themselves and be a "gentle-woman" or correct term "lady like".

If you are pretending to be a gentlemen only to gain sexual relations in a relationship then it's a "ruse", but as the relationship progresses, then anything can happen. You can either change completely or your true character will appear, which isn't bad. This by the way applies for both genders,  no segregation among females or males LOL. Plus it depends if you love the person or not?

If I didn't care for the person, I would so toss the gentleman card and be myself. Most girls like the bad guy persona, I am being honest only. (I don't want back lashing from girls, now) :2funny:

I feel that being a gentleman or a gentlewoman/ lady doesn't mean you have to put up a front just for the sake of your face. These should be a part of our character that is simply ingrained within us - either through learning, experience, genetic, or whatever. It's just who we are as a person IMO.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 05:02:47 PM »
Just like an old lady crossing the street, i helped her across but i held onto her purse, she beats me up with it. 

The problem is some women do not deserve the chilvary coming from a gentleman.  She were raised to be cautious n to handle her own business.  By taking the other seat, she is dissing him and hurt that gentle guys feeling.  She broke him down and he will forever be traumatized thus why he threw the food at her, his anti chilvary tactics.

Can't blame her though.  Poor women might think that chilvary is a con artist way of getting into her pants.  I mean i only open the doors for you is because i was checking out your azz. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Advertisements