Advertisement

Author Topic: What are the benefits and drawbacks of diversity in society?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +556
    • View Profile
Any thoughts?

Like this post: 0
I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: What are the benefits and drawbacks of diversity in society?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »
Just my experience...T here are many of each but I don't have the time to list them all.

Negative: Many assert their versions of the law or what's right in their cultures and expect those to be upheld in courts or against law enforcement, etc.

For example, a recent arrival was charged for molestation when he kept holding his grandson up and kissed the nuts of the infant; in his culture, that's affection and love; it's just teasing and playing with a child that's totally permitted;

Positive: We all learn different views or ways on handling a situation. Americans simply steam catfish pieces and spread butter over the lean meats. That's tasty and fine. But when the Hmong and Lao people take the catfish, we steam, boil and add spices beyond butter and margarine for a totally different but most admirable taste.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 11:27:24 AM »
Diversity brings exposer and with that, education about those we don't know.  Plus it opens up our mind about the world and how big this Earth is. 

Only negative is now we are exposed, we will continue to fight to become the best of the breed. 

The majority will walk the line for all else.  Like China man looking people, if he does well, we get praises and I know Kung Fu.  If negative, I will hear it from the ignorant like I'm not Hmong, I'm not chai Vang. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Yebleng

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 11:28:08 AM »
Diversity is good for everyone. Only problem is that everyone wants to flood into one area, or it might be that earth is getting too small.

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 12:17:45 PM »
Diversity is good for everyone. Only problem is that everyone wants to flood into one area, or it might be that earth is getting too small.

I agree on that. Isn't that human nature to want to be closer?  ;D

Theravada

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 12:18:37 PM »
Just my experience...T here are many of each but I don't have the time to list them all.

Negative: Many assert their versions of the law or what's right in their cultures and expect those to be upheld in courts or against law enforcement, etc.

For example, a recent arrival was charged for molestation when he kept holding his grandson up and kissed the nuts of the infant; in his culture, that's affection and love; it's just teasing and playing with a child that's totally permitted;

Positive: We all learn different views or ways on handling a situation. Americans simply steam catfish pieces and spread butter over the lean meats. That's tasty and fine. But when the Hmong and Lao people take the catfish, we steam, boil and add spices beyond butter and margarine for a totally different but most admirable taste.

What? kiss his nuts? what?!  :o :2funny:

Theravada

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »
Diversity brings exposer and with that, education about those we don't know.  Plus it opens up our mind about the world and how big this Earth is. 

Only negative is now we are exposed, we will continue to fight to become the best of the breed. 

The majority will walk the line for all else.  Like China man looking people, if he does well, we get praises and I know Kung Fu.  If negative, I will hear it from the ignorant like I'm not Hmong, I'm not chai Vang.

Diversity does make the world smaller.

I disagree, I don't think Lao want to be the best.  ;D

Theravada

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 12:25:35 PM »
See? That's the kind of thing that's negative. One person doesn't  understand another's.

I didn't mention the person's culture, because I knew someone is going to point more fingers at that culture. Not Hmong or Lao or any SE Asian culture though.

What? kiss his nuts? what?!  :o :2funny:

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 12:28:45 PM »
See? That's the kind of thing that's negative. One person doesn't  understand another's.

I didn't mention the person's culture, because I knew someone is going to point more fingers at that culture. Not Hmong or Lao or any SE Asian culture though.

You can't blame others if they don't understand. It is not normal lol ;D

Theravada

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1329
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 07:07:01 PM »

Perhaps just steam and butter for some "Americans" but from what I've seen and eaten, there are quite a few catfish dishes cooked by various  "Americans" groups...

Advertisements