Advertisement

Author Topic: Closing Hmong Achievement Gap  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
Closing Hmong Achievement Gap
« on: April 19, 2019, 03:54:22 PM »
https://sophia.stkate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1539&context=msw_papers

So here is another research thesis written by a Hmong that listed 9 factors as having impacted Hmong students in post-secondary education. The factors were: Family Expectations, Gender Roles, Cultural Identity, Racial Prejudice, Learning Environment, Language, Financial Struggles, Academic Perception, and Separation or Divorce in the Family.

While I agree that all factors do impact performance and can determine the outcome of Hmong student achievement in post-secondary, I also find the study redundant of other written literature. It seems many intellects in this field of research are recycling information and offer up no new revelations. The questions are typically the same and the conclusions tend to fall in line with a progressive victimology narrative.

It is not responsible to assume that other groups who are performing better do not experience family issues, cultural identity gaps, hardships, etc.

None of these studies, thesis, textbooks and what have you address the obvious: the Hmong lack informational and knowledgeable resources in their communities.

What I mean by this is that if a low-income white student wanted to better his socioeconomic status, there is a plethora of information and knowledgeable resources available. That means any other white person within his proximity who had similar upbringings that can model the process.

When you're a low-income Hmong kid trying to become a doctor, you don't have immediate role models around you to show you the ropes. No Hmong adult within your proximity is available to guide you and help you make informed decisions. Most Hmong professionals have had to figure it out by themselves or rely on non-Hmong figures to serve as a resource. Hmong communities are not creating environments that are built to ensure the success of the Hmong.

I would like intellects to ask their participants:

"Who and where do you go when you are stuck on making an informed decision?"

"How knowledgeable about the topic is this resource person?"

I can tell you that Hmong people, be it a student or an adult, the Hmong don't have someone immediately available to ask about things like education, legal, investment, entrepreneursh ip, health, medical, finances, workforce, etc. At best, they have someone who might have speculations about any of the given topics.

Well-to-do people/groups surround themselves with abundant resources that are available at the drop of a hat. They create an environment where their children can find opportunities to succeed and people are held accountable when they fail to deliver on their promises.

This is doable in Hmong communities despite some being low-income. Human capital becomes a huge asset when finances are low. Unfortunately, the Hmong do not invest enough into their communities and depend on government funding/involvement, which breeds a culture of no accountability from those who claim to be helping the Hmong.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
Re: Closing Hmong Achievement Gap
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 10:25:51 AM »
 :2funny: :2funny: @GOP Jesus.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 11:05:26 AM »
https://sophia.stkate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1539&context=msw_papers

So here is another research thesis written by a Hmong that listed 9 factors as having impacted Hmong students in post-secondary education. The factors were: Family Expectations, Gender Roles, Cultural Identity, Racial Prejudice, Learning Environment, Language, Financial Struggles, Academic Perception, and Separation or Divorce in the Family.

While I agree that all factors do impact performance and can determine the outcome of Hmong student achievement in post-secondary, I also find the study redundant of other written literature. It seems many intellects in this field of research are recycling information and offer up no new revelations. The questions are typically the same and the conclusions tend to fall in line with a progressive victimology narrative.

It is not responsible to assume that other groups who are performing better do not experience family issues, cultural identity gaps, hardships, etc.

None of these studies, thesis, textbooks and what have you address the obvious: the Hmong lack informational and knowledgeable resources in their communities.

What I mean by this is that if a low-income white student wanted to better his socioeconomic status, there is a plethora of information and knowledgeable resources available. That means any other white person within his proximity who had similar upbringings that can model the process.

When you're a low-income Hmong kid trying to become a doctor, you don't have immediate role models around you to show you the ropes. No Hmong adult within your proximity is available to guide you and help you make informed decisions. Most Hmong professionals have had to figure it out by themselves or rely on non-Hmong figures to serve as a resource. Hmong communities are not creating environments that are built to ensure the success of the Hmong.

I would like intellects to ask their participants:

"Who and where do you go when you are stuck on making an informed decision?"

"How knowledgeable about the topic is this resource person?"

I can tell you that Hmong people, be it a student or an adult, the Hmong don't have someone immediately available to ask about things like education, legal, investment, entrepreneursh ip, health, medical, finances, workforce, etc. At best, they have someone who might have speculations about any of the given topics.

Well-to-do people/groups surround themselves with abundant resources that are available at the drop of a hat. They create an environment where their children can find opportunities to succeed and people are held accountable when they fail to deliver on their promises.

This is doable in Hmong communities despite some being low-income. Human capital becomes a huge asset when finances are low. Unfortunately, the Hmong do not invest enough into their communities and depend on government funding/involvement, which breeds a culture of no accountability from those who claim to be helping the Hmong.

:2funny: :2funny: @GOP Jesus.

LOVE IT!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 11:47:16 PM »

The Trump disciple, zdn can keep a "straight face" especially when he receives it "from behind" via his master Trump... ;D

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 07:29:34 PM »
The factors were: Family Expectations, Gender Roles, Cultural Identity, Racial Prejudice, Learning Environment, Language, Financial Struggles, Academic Perception, and Separation or Divorce in the Family.

There a single word to describe everything there: FOCUS.  Hmong students lack FOCUS because <list your lame excuses>.  Talk about making excuses.

A child who is focus and discipline will achieve greatness if they like it or not.  FOCUS requires one to choose between Family and Success aka make trade off decision aka make sacrifices.  You cannot have your cake and eat it.  You have to choose from.  If you choose family then guess what you got exactly what you desired.  If you didn't choose then life defaults your decision.  Discipline will tell you to write your goals down, write your TO-DO down, and check the boxes off daily, weekly, monthly, and annually.  Simple.  How hard is it to write your goals down?  A K5 student can do that.  How hard is it to make a TO-DO list?  A K5 student can do this too.  How hard is it to do your job?  A K5 student can do this too.  So why can't a grown man/woman do this?  FOCUS and DISCIPLINE.  Everything else is you making an excuse for your failure to cope with your failure.

Btw, I get all the group theory, family responsibility, blah blah blah...optimiz ation requires one to take a real serious take on decision making.

Yeah, Hmong people, we have an achievement gap because we are not focused on the achievement gap...NO DUH...

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 07:36:55 PM »
I think those who are interested in solving the problem need to read about resilience engineering.  The approach to resilience engineering is not about talking about bad behaviors but focusing on proper behavior.  The research shows resilience engineering results in higher compliance and better achievement to key performance indicator.  I use this in my work because I'm responsible for driving culture at my workplace.  I spend more time focusing on PROPER behavior than I do on IMPROPER behavior.  For example, I spend a few minutes saying this is wrong, then I go on my lecture stating these are the proper action and behaviors.  People come out knowing what to do and how to do to change.  This is how you create the flywheel effect in your people and thus your organization.

Another story...I attended a boys and girls club meeting.  It was full of brown, black, white and I was the only Asian.  I felt excluded by the brown and black.  I was sad that the brown and black folks only talked about the problem of society and made the children feel like they had to go to war with society.  I tried to inspire the kids and the brown and black mentors told me to stop saying those things because it would only cause a disappoint (gap in expectation and results).  I told the mentor you are wrong, you need to inspire greatness...mo st will fail, but 1-2 will succeed greatly and come back.  What I learned from this experience is truly we have the BLIND leading the YOUNG.  How can someone who cannot succeed ever mentor a group of children to succeed?  I ask this same to my family member who works in NGO to help young children succeed.  These family members who are trying to help young kids succeed in college, they need my help to help them succeed professionally .  They are as lost as the kids...  Why is that?  Nobody HUNGERS to succeed...  Nobody reads a book a month...  Bottom line, LIFE LONG LEARNING and HARD WORK WINS.  Easy to understand but VERY HARD to do.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 07:52:28 PM by w1s3m0n »

Advertisements