Advertisement

Author Topic: Do you know where your parents met...  (Read 7308 times)

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
Do you know where your parents met...
« on: June 05, 2019, 05:52:05 AM »
Or were they arranged?

I don't believe I ever asked my mom that. Maybe I should lol

Like this post: 0
I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: Do you know where your parents met...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 06:59:43 AM »
I intentionally asked my Mom that.

She said they met at an outdoor Hmong New Year festival.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Peachy Fish

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 08:10:06 AM »
My dad saw my mom fetching water from the river/lake to bring back home and instantly fell in love at sight. He convinced his brothers to help him bridenap my mom and the rest is history. Of course, mom grew to love dad, but whenever she looks back on that day, I'm pretty darn sure she wants to slap my dad, because it meant less time she had with her parents and siblings.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 10:09:11 AM »
They met in Laos!  ;D

Luang Prabang to be exact... ;D

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 10:55:42 AM »
The town's sweetheart was my mom.  All my dad's friends got their shot first but my my mom turned them all down cuz she got eyes for my dad. 

The last guy usually the chump but my dad allows his friends to try first cuz he doesn't want a case of "oh it should of been me" kind of a case amongst his friends.

My dad no chump.  He was the town's hustler, playing billard for cash and other stuff so he is associated with them bad guys who lingers at pool halls like thugs n what not. 

Nice girls like bad boys by the way.  She thinks she can turn a be guy good.  Well in this case, she won. 

I only knew cuz one day, I bought a pool table and he be killing all the balls with one turn.  They play 3balls so using that skills on 8 balls or 9 balls, they can set the ball at ease.  Never knew Dad had such hidden talent.  He has others but I'm not pushing it like ex naval seal trained by the Americans so who knows how many VC he killed or how well his artillery skills are.  I will know once he kills someone  :2funny:

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 11:43:52 AM »
They met in Laos and my dad bride-napped my mom too.  I guess bride-napping your wife was a pretty common thing for Hmong men to do in Laos.  Hopefully that's still not going on back there.  I know Hmong Americans stopped the practice in the late '80s or so.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 12:40:54 PM »
bride napping = prince charming on white horse
women loves a man who can sweep her off her feet and he carries her into bedroom....

:2funny:  wait...that was old men's tales...

My parents had the old classic...see the photo...fall in love with photo.

But we have a history in our family...it's the women who catches the men.

That's in a way a problem for heroes...they tend to be not selective, nor are they ever worried about choosing...in a way they have too many to choose from and then contemplate too much, too late at times.

My mom caught my dad.  Similar love story with most of my uncles and aunties...

Most are typical love story about singing, music, and ball toss...
I ain't got any singing nor music talents...all I had was ball toss...and they always say you need to find someone with ball toss skills you like...well it's never happened to me...

I am a hero so no singing nor music talents is gonna help when the zombie apocalypse comes...I'm pretty sure ball tossing skills will be more useful...just saying.  O0

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline WildRedLotus

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 12:53:21 PM »
My mother was from a rich family thatproduced opium to sell to the Chinese. My father was an orphan. Only had a mother. He traveled to the country side where my mother lived. Saw my mother and fell in love. However, my mother didn't really like my father. Not only that but my grandparents didn't want my mother to date my father because he was from a poor family. So, my mother avoided my father. My father came many times to tried to talk to my mother but she refuses to acknowledge him. He then came to visit some of the village girls yet his heart and eyes was set on my mother. He could never come close to her house because grandma was always outside with a stick and yelled at my dad. So far away.. he couldn't only stared. She finally gave in after her sister passed away and she didn't want to live the same town because it was too painful for her with all the memories. She agreed to marry my father. Years later he told my mother that "You know... all those times that I came to your hometown.. and when I passed by your house, I always look to see if you are outside so I can catch a glimpse of you"... "No matter who I was talking... I was always missing you". TRUE LOVE... I hope that my marriage will last as long as my parents.

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 05:13:51 PM »
My parents met in Paris, France.

Wow, really? That's so romantic.   :)

Like this post: +1

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 05:24:51 PM »
I met a French girl once...she said to me, "Voulez vous couchez avec moi."

In Hmoob...sounds ... :2funny:

crazy turn crazy and missing heart crazy hurt...

I said, "You're CRAZY!"

She said, "Merde"

she called me, lady dog.... ;D

So I decided to take French language class... :D
what a surprise!  They told me it was language of love.  :-*

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 05:26:57 PM »
My parents met in Laos.

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 05:58:15 PM »
My dad saw my mom fetching water from the river/lake to bring back home and instantly fell in love at sight. He convinced his brothers to help him bridenap my mom and the rest is history. Of course, mom grew to love dad, but whenever she looks back on that day, I'm pretty darn sure she wants to slap my dad, because it meant less time she had with her parents and siblings.

So they were living in the same area/city?

Theravada

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 05:59:59 PM »
They met in Laos!  ;D

Luang Prabang to be exact... ;D

Most answers will be from Laos. Lol. But cool that you know they met in Luang Prabang. No special event?

Theravada

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 06:01:04 PM »
The town's sweetheart was my mom.  All my dad's friends got their shot first but my my mom turned them all down cuz she got eyes for my dad. 

The last guy usually the chump but my dad allows his friends to try first cuz he doesn't want a case of "oh it should of been me" kind of a case amongst his friends.

My dad no chump.  He was the town's hustler, playing billard for cash and other stuff so he is associated with them bad guys who lingers at pool halls like thugs n what not. 

Nice girls like bad boys by the way.  She thinks she can turn a be guy good.  Well in this case, she won. 

I only knew cuz one day, I bought a pool table and he be killing all the balls with one turn.  They play 3balls so using that skills on 8 balls or 9 balls, they can set the ball at ease.  Never knew Dad had such hidden talent.  He has others but I'm not pushing it like ex naval seal trained by the Americans so who knows how many VC he killed or how well his artillery skills are.  I will know once he kills someone  :2funny:

Cool dad lol

Theravada

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 06:02:38 PM »
They met in Laos and my dad bride-napped my mom too.  I guess bride-napping your wife was a pretty common thing for Hmong men to do in Laos.  Hopefully that's still not going on back there.  I know Hmong Americans stopped the practice in the late '80s or so.

According to some videos I have seen here on PH, it’s still going on in some places.

I should do that to someone lol

Like this post: +1

Theravada

Advertisements