Advertisement

Author Topic: I wonder what it's like for Hmong parents of teen girls in Laos..  (Read 664 times)

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
I wonder what it's like for Hmong parents of teen girls in Laos..
« on: September 15, 2019, 02:14:20 PM »
How do you feel when every night, you hear guys whispering to your daughter through the walls?  Like, do you just pretend to be asleep while you easedrop?  Do you pay attention to what they're saying?  Do you have to go patch that hole in the wall everyday only so they can come make another hole to reach through to touch your girl?  Hrmm..

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: I wonder what it's like for Hmong parents of teen girls in Laos..
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 12:30:14 PM »
Hmong parents there are proudest when suitors whisper to their daughters through the wall openings.

Why is that? A family with a daughter that has no such suitor is the saddest family, because that means no one likes their child. Their hope of a prospect son-in-law is slim then.

So, they do welcome such courtship.

Do they pretend to be asleep? Do they pay attention to what they're saying?  Etc.?  Well, you ask them. I don't have any teenage girl living there, so I can't tell you what I would have done in this situation.

How do you feel when every night, you hear guys whispering to your daughter through the walls?  Like, do you just pretend to be asleep while you easedrop?  Do you pay attention to what they're saying?  Do you have to go patch that hole in the wall everyday only so they can come make another hole to reach through to touch your girl?  Hrmm..

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
Re: I wonder what it's like for Hmong parents of teen girls in Laos..
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 05:53:36 PM »

:2funny:

These things are rather rare nowadays. Some folks still does the whispering part but the modern guys will just text the girl to come out. Overall the whispering and talking thru the walls is pretty much dead. It's only suitable for straw houses. As most houses are made of cinder blocks and concrete these days, sound don't go thru as easy. As for the parents, I'm not one there so I wouldn't know but young folks these days, don't need to see each other at night at the girls house. They readily meet in public places and school or at the motel. Things had change a lot over there. Curfew, I believe there's such a thing there but you only see the green men during the day, you don't see any of them at night. However, they do have check points at least in Xayabuli ban...

Advertisements