Advertisement

Author Topic: You guys have gym membership? Gotta say gyms seem so competitive now  (Read 2111 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
So a friend is a member of 24 Hour Fitness and wants me to go with her as a guest. I told her I've not gone to a gym in like 20 years since I canceled my membership at In-Shape. I went with her anyways to see what's up with the gyms these days and wow, they seem so competitive now in terms of retaining their current members and recruiting new members. After we're done, I wasn't interested because I prefer to workout in natural settings like at a park or a hiking trail...With that said, judging by all the amenities (both indoor and outdoor equipment} that gym has to offer, it looks like they are trying really hard to compete and win members of other gyms..??  ???:

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
Re: You guys have gym membership? Gotta say gyms seem so competitive now
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 07:41:31 AM »
on my way to thunder valley and on your left side off that highway, you can see a new gym club just popped up.  Totally packed on grand opening day. 

gym with a big budget can afford to turn it into a resort but at the cost of you guys cuz they be charging a lot

I also have a female friend that has a gym membership at planet fitness.  I used to have that gym membership for a year when it was only $99 all in package that I once bought.  I told her to upgrade her memebership to the next level which only cost an extra $10 and with that, she can go to any of the planet fitness club plus can bring a guest.  I'm that guest and I'll be her presonal trainer

So for around $20, 2 people can go.  Not as fancy but have enough to serve the purpose.  Fancy is not an automatic result.  I can get better result training at home.  A gym then is a place where you can floss your goods.  You see them super fit people there?  They did not get that body there.  I'm sure that it is a combination of working out elsewhere and the gym is to flaunt what they got to the public while making it seems like they got that body there. 

Like this post: +1
X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline one-tai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 01:10:22 PM »
One thing's for certain, your waistline does reflect your 20 years drought from a gym.  O0

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 05:08:40 PM »
Long time member of 24 hrs fitness, some clubs are super nice while others are quite generic. One thing I like about 24 hrs, you can work out in Sac or SF, Austin or DC, NYC or LA, they have gyms in the hundreds.

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 05:09:43 PM »
One thing's for certain, your waistline does reflect your 20 years drought from a gym.  O0

Plenty of over weight people at the gym.  :idiot2:

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 10:57:35 PM »
Not as fancy but have enough to serve the purpose. 

Going to a park or a hiking trail serves my purpose. With that said, the nice thing about 24/7 gyms is those that can't workout during the day can do it at night..at a gym for safety reasons...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 11:01:47 PM »
I go to Cal-fit aka California Family Fitness and have been a member for over 8+ years... although the amenities for that 24 hr. is really nice, I still prefer Calfit for the amenities that they offer...

It is nice to have those amenities available but it's only worth it if one takes advantage of it IMO...Otherwis e, it's being paid for but not use..

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 11:02:46 PM »
Long time member of 24 hrs fitness, some clubs are super nice while others are quite generic. One thing I like about 24 hrs, you can work out in Sac or SF, Austin or DC, NYC or LA, they have gyms in the hundreds.

That's the nice thing about having a huge network across the country..

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 11:06:05 PM »

Oh look, the cry baby that I made cried finally had enough courage to show his face on this site again.. ;D ;D ;D

Yep, the "one" and only idiotic "tai"...Same cry baby that I made cried and then he ran to the "mods and admins" and cry to them about how unfair life is because he didn't get the "last word"... ;D ;D ;D

And yes, he'll crawl back because his foam will take over..

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 09:27:47 AM »
Damn that's one nice looking 24!

I've visited and used several over the past few years..

---
Planet Fitness.
Hands down, cleanest place  I've been to.  Nice clean new equipment. 10 dollars a month white card, or 20 dollars black card membership (comes with waterbed massage, massage chair, tanning (?), and free guest pass).

Downside: This place is not for heavy lifters. They do not have freeweights besides dumbells. smith machines only if you want to bench press. AND, These people hate people who lift weight.  Any noise will result in them pressing the LUNK ALARM which sounds like a fire alarm. 
I got in trouble 3x. I only went 1 year and kept going that 1 year cause my black card membership was mandatory 1 year membership (they got rid of it now).

----
Cal Family Fitness.
Upside: Rock climbing, 2 huge pool (1 for laps, 1 for family to swim and have fun), A lot of equipment, I never had to wait once!
downside: The specific one I went to was just a pain. the people who tour you get paid commision, so  it's like going to a car lot with some **** trying to make a sale telling you. .Hey it cost this much but I can give you sale. TODAY ONLY!  Piss off motherducker.. dude got so mad when I said I wanted to use a free 10 day pass I got.  He was only going to give me 7 till i showed him the email.  and on top of that. this motherducker didn't even register my name so next day i went in, I DID THIS SHIT AGAIN WITH HIS ASS!

If you have a family membership it's not bad, it can be as low as 20 dollars a person for 3+ people. but single membership its 40.. rediculous.

----
24 hour.
I got the costco plan, 2 year membership. something like 430 upfront. (pretty cheap).
I go to two locations nearby. 1 smaller location, i think it used to be an office cause the ceiling is very low, took a bit to get used to the less air in the building.  decent equipment.  5 minutes from work.

the other one i go to. it used to be an albertson/ralph, so it's a big facility.

----
Sacramento State Wellness Center.

It is not worth paying 35-40 bucks a month or 9 dollars for a day pass.
But..  I love this place.
Pro: Big space. lots of cardio equipment. they even have an interactive bike which is cool.  Indoor soccer. the track albeit super small (8 laps = 1 mile) it's on the second floor with the basketball and volleyball in the middle on the ground floor.  Watch people play as I run. 
And as a student - the urgent care, primary care, vision and hearing centers are right here too.. all super convenient. :)

Con - barely any space for weight lifting. no sauna. no hot tub, not much here despite the size.

Nice summary of your experience!  O0

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 01:39:09 PM »
Tried out once with a friend and I don't like it because of the cost and doesn't get much results either. I rather not waste money and do my exercise outdoors or basic work out at home.

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 11:23:59 AM »
Tried out once with a friend and I don't like it because of the cost and doesn't get much results either. I rather not waste money and do my exercise outdoors or basic work out at home.

Everything about me is physically and mentally stronger but i’ve been going for years and spent thousands for gym membership. On top of the gym, outdoor activities are excellent as well. A gym can’t give you the mountain air or scenery but a body and mind that you want is attainable there when the right mindset is applied.

Advertisements