Advertisement

Author Topic: Now you're going to recoup the money after the damage's done and waste more tax  (Read 350 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1323
    • View Profile
..money on the FAILED matter?  ??? :idiot2::

Treasury Vows to Recoup Virus Relief Aid Claimed by Big Companies

WASHINGTON — The Los Angeles Lakers are not what most people think of as a small business. Yet the basketball franchise is the latest example of a large company that managed to qualify for small-business loans from a hastily devised government program intended to help barbershops, restaurants, dry cleaners and other mom-and-pop shops.

Now, the Treasury Department is frantically trying to figure out how to recoup hundreds of millions of dollars from big companies that applied for loans and received them under the program’s initial terms.

On Tuesday, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin made another attempt to deal with problems largely of his own making, as he tried to quickly funnel billions of dollars to businesses with vague guidelines. Threatening to hold big companies criminally liable if they did not meet the program’s revised criteria for accepting loans, he said the administration would audit any company that received more than $2 million.

“I never expected in a million years that the Los Angeles Lakers, which I’m a big fan of the team, but I’m not a big fan of the fact that they took a $4.6 million loan,” Mnuchin said on CNBC. “I think that’s outrageous.”

Congress created the Paycheck Protection Program as part of last month’s $2 trillion economic relief package, intending it as a lifeline for small shops so they could keep paying workers even if they had no customers. The money, which ultimately grew to $660 billion, came with strings attached, requiring businesses to keep their workers on the payroll for eight weeks if they wanted the loans forgiven, but the eligibility requirements were vague.

From left, Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin and Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) look on as President Donald Trump speaks at an Oval Office signing ceremony for the Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act on Friday, April 24, 2020.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
I don’t blame amazon, best buy, walmart, etc....

SHAMELESS BRO

God did not created man...man created god

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1323
    • View Profile
I don’t blame amazon, best buy, walmart, etc....

SHAMELESS BRO

"amazon, best buy, walmart" didn't apply for PPP but NOT surprised you don't know so chalk it up as another ignorant LIE... ;D

Advertisements