Advertisement

Author Topic: Sad to see sh!t like this still on especially when it comes to home appraisal  (Read 485 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
 ???:
Couple says they faced discrimination in home appraisal because of wife's race
“Why did I let myself forget that I live in America as a Black person?"

On the day of the appointment, Abena Horton was there to greet the appraiser who would go over their family’s four-bedroom, four-bathroom ranch style home. But when the Hortons got the appraisal back, they thought the price was shockingly low.

Abena Horton decided to conduct her own experiment. She requested a second appraisal, but this time she had her husband greet the appraiser alone, while she and their young son were out of the house. Prior to the appointment, she removed all photos and books showing he had a Black family. Doing this, hiding this part of their family, was “crushing” for her spirit, Abena Horton said. She felt “ashamed of the fact that my son will see that this is something that I did.” “I’m ashamed to say that I really wanted to refinance and pay off my house sooner and have full equity in my home, and so I was willing to put up with that indignity to do it because I knew it was going to be effective,” she said. “So it was a combination of pragmatism and deep and profound sadness.” The second time around, with only her white husband at home, the second appraisal came back showing the value of their home had gone up more than $100,000.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
So the moral of the story is this..

If I want a deal, I'll buy a house from a kaydoo. 

Like this post: +1
X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
The reality is that most non-black homebuyers try to avoid predominantly black neighborhoods. This alone already brings down the property value. If you live in a state that has one city with a large black community, that typically has a lot of problems, most likely non-blacks already view blacks unfavorably.

Lowering the price may make it more desirable to non-black homebuyers OR make it more accessible to black homebuyers, who may not have as much purchasing power.

To be honest, the real estate market is just responding to the buyers out there.

And this lady's experiment didn't really prove anything since she used two different appraisers. The second one may have given her the same value as they did her husband.

This wasn't exactly a good experiment.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
You know nothing being "flat broke" with zero integrity nor credibility..b y crawling back to prove me right again.. ;D O0

Advertisements