Advertisement

Author Topic: So PH wives, do you want a repayment?  (Read 351 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
So PH wives, do you want a repayment?
« on: October 19, 2020, 09:06:58 PM »
..If it was you??  ???:

My husband earned less than me for a decade, so I paid more towards our expenses. I want him to repay me.

‘Am I unreasonable for asking him to pay off the extra money I contributed? I have not even added any interest’

Dear Moneyist,

My husband and I have been married for 19 years. During the first decade, our income was comparable, and we contributed equally to our expenses with not much put aside for a rainy day. In 2012, I started earning two-thirds more than my husband. We decided to share expenses according to our incomes. So he pays one-third and I pay two-thirds.

My husband’s pay has increased considerably since then, although he still earns less than me. I told him to pick up the slack and pay more until my extra share is paid off because I know he can afford it now. I have built three houses, all paid off, and stashed money for our children’s 529 plans.

He gives me a fixed sum towards the expenses, saves the rest of his money, and expects me to pay all the other expenses. He was in the military, so the kids can use his GI Bill toward their education, but that does not amount to much compared to my contributions.

I have not even added any interest, just the initial outlay. This has become a major issue in our marriage. Otherwise, we are happily married. Am I unreasonable for asking him to pick up the tab, and put his savings towards paying me off the extra money I contributed towards our lifestyle?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Advertisements