Advertisement

Author Topic: Asian vs Asian because dude thinks racism against Asians is a big "lie"  (Read 283 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1323
    • View Profile
GOP Senate candidate Peter Yu defends ‘This racism thing? It’s a lie' statement

Republican Senate candidate Peter Yu defended his statement at a campaign event in Golden, Colo., last month, suggesting the #StopAsianHate movement has been “politically exaggerated.”

What happened: Speaking at an event hosted by the Colorado Log Cabin Republicans on July 20, Yu said he had never experienced anti-Asian discrimination amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Colorado Times Recorder reported.

“Do you know how many times I wake up in the morning and am fearful of going outside? Never,” the candidate said. “Do you know how many times I’ve been attacked in the last year and a half because of COVID-19? Zero. Do you know how many people have spit on me or looked at me weird? None. The truth is, if you want to see racism, you’ll see it.”

He added, “The racism thing? It’s a lie.”

Howard Chou, co-founder and chair of Colorado Democrats Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) Initiative, later issued a statement criticizing Yu’s comment, saying racism and violence against the AAPI community are real. Chou also called Yu out over how he wants to “perpetuate a myth that racism doesn’t exist and wants to blame survivors and victims.”

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Online Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
Re: Asian vs Asian because dude thinks racism against Asians is a big "lie"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 03:36:34 PM »
Peter Yu is in his own bubble and he has never step a foot in California or Minnesota where racism happened.

Like this post: 0
There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Advertisements