Advertisement

Author Topic: They gave Jackie Chan Bruce Lee's torch and even added White girls  (Read 745 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
..but still not the same impact as Bruce had on Hollywood back in the day:

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Re: They gave Jackie Chan Bruce Lee's torch and even added White girls
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 09:57:18 PM »
Chan didn't do too bad for himself over the years though both here and Asia:

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 10:06:13 PM »
Jackie is far from being on the same boat as Bruce Lee, not even close.

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 09:10:47 PM »
Yep, Lee's impact was unmatched:

Shannon Lee, Simu Liu, JLin and Bao Nguyen share how Bruce Lee transcended cinema to become a global cultural icon

Maina Chen
Mon, December 6, 2021, 7:21 PM

There may never be a day where Bruce Lee is forgotten for his major contributions to martial arts and film, which have solidified his status not just as a martial artist, but also as a cultural icon.

Lee had an unyielding drive that propelled him to pursue American stardom in the ‘60s and ‘70s — a time when it was nearly impossible for any Asian actor to break into Hollywood. During that period, Hollywood cinema was full of racism and caricatured Asian Americans as subservient jokes or scheming villains. The men were commonly portrayed as emasculated and weak while the women were exoticized and fetishized.

Asian roles would go to white actors in yellowface or to those who could pass as “Asian-presenting.” Asian characters were portrayed in demeaning ways, and because there was no real opposition from Asian or white viewers at the time, Hollywood continued to churn them out. A prime example of this is the Charlie Chan films of the ‘30s, which soared in popularity when white actor Warner Oland replaced Asian leads as the titular character, a Chinese Honolulu police detective. Almost four dozen films featured Oland and other white actors as Chan, further reinforcing the prejudiced view that films with Asian leads wouldn’t sell. Oland also played the villainous Dr. Fu Manchu (“The Mysterious Dr. Fu Manchu”), an overtly racist character who was thought of as the Yellow Peril personified.

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 09:20:17 AM »
The one and only and forever in my book.

Theravada

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 10:31:23 AM »
Yep, Lee's impact was unmatched:

Shannon Lee, Simu Liu, JLin and Bao Nguyen share how Bruce Lee transcended cinema to become a global cultural icon

Maina Chen
Mon, December 6, 2021, 7:21 PM

There may never be a day where Bruce Lee is forgotten for his major contributions to martial arts and film, which have solidified his status not just as a martial artist, but also as a cultural icon.

Lee had an unyielding drive that propelled him to pursue American stardom in the ‘60s and ‘70s — a time when it was nearly impossible for any Asian actor to break into Hollywood. During that period, Hollywood cinema was full of racism and caricatured Asian Americans as subservient jokes or scheming villains. The men were commonly portrayed as emasculated and weak while the women were exoticized and fetishized.

Asian roles would go to white actors in yellowface or to those who could pass as “Asian-presenting.” Asian characters were portrayed in demeaning ways, and because there was no real opposition from Asian or white viewers at the time, Hollywood continued to churn them out. A prime example of this is the Charlie Chan films of the ‘30s, which soared in popularity when white actor Warner Oland replaced Asian leads as the titular character, a Chinese Honolulu police detective. Almost four dozen films featured Oland and other white actors as Chan, further reinforcing the prejudiced view that films with Asian leads wouldn’t sell. Oland also played the villainous Dr. Fu Manchu (“The Mysterious Dr. Fu Manchu”), an overtly racist character who was thought of as the Yellow Peril personified.

Did Bruce ever acted in a Shaw Brothers production? Bottom picture looks the part.

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 11:38:28 AM »
No, there were other similar pictures taken. Must have been for stage test at the time.

Theravada

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 02:14:00 PM »
There's never going to be one like him again.

I heard of him on the far hills of Laos as "the nunchuk hero." Someone must have seen "Return of the Dragon" in Long Cheng and spoke about him on our remote villages.

The one and only and forever in my book.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 02:16:34 PM by Reporter »

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 06:01:36 PM »
There's never going to be one like him again.

I heard of him on the far hills of Laos as "the nunchuk hero." Someone must have seen "Return of the Dragon" in Long Cheng and spoke about him on our remote villages.

Saw his film in camp, the big boss. Thai people don’t call him Bruce Lee. He was known as Li Xiaolong.

I was 9, and still my hero and I’m one of the biggest fan.

Theravada

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 06:34:27 PM »
The only Bruce Lee movie I saw in Ban Vinai was "Return of the Dragon." 

What I remember about this time was that it was an outdoor screen showing by the Thai mobile movie theater. They surrounded a large spot with tall fabric fence to make people buy tickets to get inside. Several guys climbed trees the back to watch it instead. Then when Bruce and Chuck were fighting, two guys were so moved, they rocked the branches and the branches broke.  Down they came.

I still didn't know his name and didn't even know that he was already long gone in 1979 when that movie was shown to me.

Saw his film in camp, the big boss. Thai people don’t call him Bruce Lee. He was known as Li Xiaolong.

I was 9, and still my hero and I’m one of the biggest fan.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Advertisements