Advertisement

Author Topic: $6 billion may not seem a lot here but it's a huge amount in Laos  (Read 245 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
At least traveling from Laos to China will have another option now  ???:

Laos' financial debt to China grows as $6 billion high-speed rail line between the countries is unveiled

China is now connected with Laos via a recently completed high-speed rail line, which reportedly cost $6 billion. Chinese-led initiative: On Friday, a virtual ceremony attended by Chinese President Xi Jinping and Laotian President Thongloun Sisoulith marked the opening of the rail line, which is part of China’s global infrastructure development strategy called the “Belt and Road Initiative,” reported Reuters. China has a 70% stake in the joint venture, which the Chinese and Laotian governments co-signed back in 2015. The 621.37-mile line connects the two countries from the city of Kunming in southwestern China to Vientiane, Laos’ capital. Laos is covering 30% of the cost of the 260-mile segment inside the country in the form of additional loans to China, according to South China Morning Post. Around 4,400 Laotian families were reportedly forced to relocate to accommodate the railway’s construction. The line is set to expand further, eventually connecting several countries, including Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. "China is willing to strengthen strategic communication with Laos, promote the high-quality development of the Belt and Road Initiative, and continue to build an unbreakable China-Laos community with a shared future," Xi was quoted by state-run CCTV as saying. Laos state news agency KPL described the project as an integral part of its government's plan to change Laos from “a landlocked country to a land-linked one."

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
Re: $6 billion may not seem a lot here but it's a huge amount in Laos
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 07:01:55 PM »
asia silk road I'm telling you.  If you invade another man's country, the whole world is watching you and that's a no no but if pave a way for your citizens to slowly populate in another man's country and then take over the majority seat of the house and owns the country then that's just sneaky deeky.  Think Malyasia.   Chinese influences are big that country. 

What is in it for the Laos' government?  Tourism dollars from Chinese tourists will pump into the Lao's economy. 

However, with chinese tourists, they will reach out to eat chinese food first so laos food vendors?  I'm sorry to say but you guys are gonna get obsolete.  The children that are growing up in them tourist areas will want to learn chinese first because their future in their family's business is mandatory to speak the chinese language.  If you don't follow the herd, you are gonna starve and die.

This is one of the many views battling from the side that they are not gonna tell you about.  Plenty more views are out there.

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
Re: $6 billion may not seem a lot here but it's a huge amount in Laos
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 07:14:40 PM »
That’s what happen when you’re poor.

More changes coming by the year 2031. Vientiane city will get a facelift and all the surrounding cities as well. Got to change with time.

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Advertisements