Advertisement

Author Topic: Excellent, cream of the crop, known Hmong folks on mainstream news (literally)  (Read 639 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile

Why we should thank our local Asian American reporters: Gia Vang, Chenue Her and Dion Lim keep marching forward in the face of racism

Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders have been victims of xenophobia and racism for hundreds of years. Many Asian Americans, however, are currently experiencing highly publicized, violent forms of anti-Asian hate as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. One group of individuals who have been particularly impacted by this aggressive increase are Asian American reporters.

Local broadcast news reporters are highly accessible online, and their contact information is usually available to those who want to submit tips or suggestions for stories. Because they act as a resource to the communities they serve, their social media is often available to the public as an open forum.

For many of these reporters, their comment sections on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook have become less of a space to share and discuss news and more of a place where they receive negative comments and harsh threats, often directly targeting their race.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 10:45:00 AM by Reporter »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: Above average known Hmong folks on mainstream news (literally)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 06:14:43 AM »
These are not just above average. They are way better than you and me, dude.They are excellent! They are cream of the crops!

But I didn't know Dion Lim was from a Hmong clan. Did she change her last name's spelling? Or is she Cambodian?

Why we should thank our local Asian American reporters: Gia Vang, Chenue Her and Dion Lim keep marching forward in the face of racism

Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders have been victims of xenophobia and racism for hundreds of years. Many Asian Americans, however, are currently experiencing highly publicized, violent forms of anti-Asian hate as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. One group of individuals who have been particularly impacted by this aggressive increase are Asian American reporters.

Local broadcast news reporters are highly accessible online, and their contact information is usually available to those who want to submit tips or suggestions for stories. Because they act as a resource to the communities they serve, their social media is often available to the public as an open forum.

For many of these reporters, their comment sections on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook have become less of a space to share and discuss news and more of a place where they receive negative comments and harsh threats, often directly targeting their race.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Solemn Wind

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 09:42:19 AM »
These are not just above average. They are way better than you and me, dude.They are excellent! They are cream of the crops!

But I didn't know Dion Lim was from a Hmong clan. Did she change her last name's spelling? Or is she Cambodian?

It’s all a matter of perspective.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 09:47:35 AM »
Ok. Some of us are right where they are: top.

But tell me what's "above average" in your grading system at work. What's your student getting if it's an "above average" grade? :2funny:

It’s all a matter of perspective.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 10:36:40 AM »
Not only are they targeted by xenophobic fear, I’ve seen first hand some childish Hmong and Asians talking down to them as well. Must be folks like our very own ph clown.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
I would not considered them "Excellent, cream of the crop, known" because there are still too many Hmong who don't know who those reporters are and they are even less known in the mainstream society as a whole.

Advertisements