Advertisement

Author Topic: This is how I learned about volunteering at homeless shelters and soup kitchens  (Read 435 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
...in my younger days. I used to work in the restaurants during my teen years and during closing time, a couple of us employees would drop off the leftover food like canceled orders to the homeless shelter, soup kitchen or any other agency that serves the less fortunate. And there's not a day where there weren't any leftover food because someone always canceled after the food is already made or never show up to pick it up and plus, there were wrong orders too due to communication issues. Receiving food such as pizzas have always made those kids at the shelter's day...and that makes me happy too. O0

After that, I would regularly stopped by those places to volunteer my time as I get older. What I did varies as I can be serving food, reading books to the children, etc., just depends on where the need is. Some of those folks have some really interesting stories. I also shared my stories with them too when asked and let them know about how my family and I have struggled in life too especially back in Laos. Many of them don't even know what Hmong is but I was able to teach some of them how to say basic Hmong words such as greetings, thank you, etc. It was a good experience and interaction and something that was beneficial to put on my resume when I applied for jobs especially when I applied for a job in the social services field. That real world interaction and experience count as a lot of of their clients are similar to the folks I've interacted with.

Fast forward to today...upon reading this, it's a little sad that they just throw the food away. Guess some companies just can't afford to drop leftover food off to places that need it anymore so it's easier to just throw it in the trash?  ???:

Have you ever wondered what happens to all the unsold and unconsumed food at Dunkin' at the end of the day? Sadly, the company doesn't donate the food or even give it away to customers. Rather, according to one employee, it actually instructs its workers to throw everything away.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
It is also a liability issue for some of these companies.  Sure they would love to donate to a local shelter but what if an outbreak comes out from it?  That could shut down your business and everyone goes poor. 

I too grew up working fast food where we donated to the shelter our leftovers.  There's actually a group in some cities that does this.  They would go around closing time and would ask for donations of leftovers for them shelters.  I forgot the name of the organization but I thought it was neat to introduce a good thing to the local volunteers. 

Even if you think about giving some random kid a candy and they might have some kind of allergy, the law suit will be on your head.  Yeah I know the rule sux and it takes away a piece of our humanities. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Yep, that can be a factor too especially with COVID and all and it definitely falls under the "can't afford" umbrella.. ???

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +248
    • View Profile
Yep, that can be a factor too especially with COVID and all and it definitely falls under the "can't afford" umbrella.. ???

NO, it's not due to covid... it's due to lawsuits.
Businesses that have leftover, even uncook food will not just drop them off to shelter because of lawsuits. If someone at the shelter got sick from eating one of the food they brought - that's a big lawsuit coming.

I remember a couple years ago, I stop by a gas station to get some hot food because of late work and they were going to give them all to me free because all the food was going to the trash in another 15 minutes after I arrive. So, I took three burgers, two hot sandwiches and a slice of pizza home  O0.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
COVID has affected some restaurants' ability to donate...

Good to know some restaurants are still donating though:

How Chick-fil-A restaurants are using leftover food to serve their local communities and help the environment

The Chick-fil-A Shared Table program bridges the gap between restaurants with surplus food and community organizations that serve those in need

Chick-fil-A started the Chick-fil-A Shared Table program in 2012 in an effort to make use of surplus food in restaurants, while also meeting a need in the community. Today, more than 1,200 Chick-fil-A restaurants take part in the program, which continues to grow each year. With the help of Food Donation Connection, the program bridges the gap between Chick-fil-A franchise Operators and local agencies like shelters, soup kitchens and charities. After Chick-fil-A Team Members package and send the surplus food, the organizations then are able to incorporate it into the meals they serve weekly.

https://www.chick-fil-a.com/stories/inside-chick-fil-a/shared-table-chick-fil-as-food-donation-program

Some of these guys were donating up until the COVID so not sure how many are still doing it?  ???:

6 restaurants that donate their food at the end of the day

https://www.insider.com/restaurants-that-donate-food-at-the-end-of-the-day-2018-8

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
Some people, you do a nice thing once and then they will insist that you do that for the rest of their life. 

"But I always get a free upgrade every time I come here." 

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Advertisements