Advertisement

Author Topic: I used to serve but tips are so foreign now so had to apologize to the bartender  (Read 103 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1323
    • View Profile
I order a drink from a Las Vegas lounge and I didn't realize how their tips are counted now compared to when I was working at the restaurants as a server or food delivery driver. Did not know they have a tip compliance policy. For those that don't know what that is. It's basically this:

the IRS will automatically calculate the individual's yearly tip income by multiplying a nonparticipant tip rate (much higher than the participant rate) by the number of hours the employee worked during the year.

I ordered a couple of drinks and tipped the bartender 20% but when I found out about the tip compliance policy, I felt compel to give the bartender more tip due to the excellent service. I apologized to the bartender because I felt I didn't tip her enough and tried to hand another $20 in cash directly to her but she couldn't accept it. She informed me that there are cameras all over so if she's caught accepting and pocketing tips instead of directing the customers to put the tip in the staff community tip jar, she could get fired.

That blew my mind...because of how things have changed compared to the time when I was in their shoes ... :o

« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 11:35:31 PM by theking »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Advertisements