Advertisement

Author Topic: Pros and cons of living in Minnesota  (Read 683 times)

Offline Rebel

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Pros and cons of living in Minnesota
« on: March 31, 2023, 04:43:42 PM »
Everyone is trying to get me to move there… so in the summer time I’ll be coming for a weeklong visit.

If you lived in California and moved there, what do you like most about Minnesota, compared to California?

I prefer smaller towns, what is a smaller town that is also close to the big city but Not so far out but is near Hmong people lol

What kind of things do single Hmong people do there for fun?

Recommend me your favorite coffee shops?

If you’re single, how do you spend your day?

What area have the most professional and single people living?

Weather wise, how hot does it get? And what happens if I freak out and can’t drive in the snow… do I pull over? Haha just kidding

How close knit are Hmong communities? I don’t live near any so, I’m just curious…

What type of jobs are in the areas of Minneapolis and St. Paul?

Approximately how much is the cost of living around at Paul/Minneapolis? Which part of town is more affluent? Which is not?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m feeling a little pressured to moved… I just want an idea that all hahaha

And probably have more question but that it for now… thanks :)

Oh and yes, I’m sure I can google some fo these but I really just want to hear it from you ;)

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
Re: Pros and cons of living in Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 11:08:15 PM »
You want to live on the outter city limit
Thats where all the new houses are built
My cousin bought one for $350k

WOOT EXPENSIVE AS SHYT
Houses there ain’t cheap

He makes $100k per year though

;D ;D

God did not created man...man created god

Offline TsovTom

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 01:01:05 PM »
Since you're a "REbel" and all...MN is a great place to live, possible one of the best states if you're Hmong!

Everyone is trying to get me to move there… so in the summer time I’ll be coming for a weeklong visit.
~you should come, see and conquer!

If you lived in California and moved there, what do you like most about Minnesota, compared to California?
~cost of living and less crime.

I prefer smaller towns, what is a smaller town that is also close to the big city but Not so far out but is near Hmong people lol
~we have a lot of small cities clumped together, so it's considered as all one big city...but there are plenty of  smaller cities 30-60 minutes outside of the twin cities.
I would recommend Rogers, Mora, Chisago, Prior Lake.

~depends on what kind of socialites you are...clubbing (american and hmong), Bars and private parties.  anti-social people usually do outdoor activities (fishing, camping and etc)

~Speedway or Holiday...chea p and made just how you like it (your own customization).

~eat, sleep and work

~Saint Paul, it's centrally located.

Weather wise, how hot does it get? And what happens if I freak out and can’t drive in the snow… do I pull over? Haha just kidding
~our weather is as bipolar as women!  haha, j/k!  we have 4 seasons but winter seems to be the longest.  we don't have a heat issue but a humidity issue during the summer.  we have abnormal snow falls and negative windchills in the winter.

as for driving in the snow, learn how to drift if you have a sedan, we would recommend 4wheel drive trucks/suvs.

How close knit are Hmong communities? I don’t live near any so, I’m just curious…
~we are a very close knit community;  our hmong community is very supportive, our funeral homes are always overpacked, we protest like blm but peacefully. our gossip is faster than wild fire, and if you're fresh meat it's like fly on sh!t!

~we have a wide variety of jobs available, inner city usually consists of temporary and manufacturing/assembly jobs, nursing is also popular and self-employed individuals like real estate agents to insurance sales reps.

Approximately how much is the cost of living around at Paul/Minneapolis? Which part of town is more affluent? Which is not?
~due to the high inflation things have gone up a bit, renting is at $1000/mo. on average, housing market is at the average price of $235k-$260K for single family,
a bowl of pho is approximately $12.00, a dozen eggs is $4.99, gas is at $3.29/gallon, utilities on average is $200/mo during summer and $400/winter (for single family homes).
Western metro cities is more affluent, that's where most of the rich people live.  avoid the whole city of minneapolis, poor politics, crimes and people.

Sorry for all the questions, I’m feeling a little pressured to moved… I just want an idea that all hahaha
~never feel pressured to move, i came to visit and just haven't left yet...that's like 2 decades ago!

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +248
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 01:10:59 PM »
Since you're a "REbel" and all...MN is a great place to live, possible one of the best states if you're Hmong!

~you should come, see and conquer!

~cost of living and less crime.

~we have a lot of small cities clumped together, so it's considered as all one big city...but there are plenty of  smaller cities 30-60 minutes outside of the twin cities.
I would recommend Rogers, Mora, Chisago, Prior Lake.

~depends on what kind of socialites you are...clubbing (american and hmong), Bars and private parties.  anti-social people usually do outdoor activities (fishing, camping and etc)

~Speedway or Holiday...chea p and made just how you like it (your own customization).

~eat, sleep and work

~Saint Paul, it's centrally located.

~our weather is as bipolar as women!  haha, j/k!  we have 4 seasons but winter seems to be the longest.  we don't have a heat issue but a humidity issue during the summer.  we have abnormal snow falls and negative windchills in the winter.

as for driving in the snow, learn how to drift if you have a sedan, we would recommend 4wheel drive trucks/suvs.

~we are a very close knit community;  our hmong community is very supportive, our funeral homes are always overpacked, we protest like blm but peacefully. our gossip is faster than wild fire, and if you're fresh meat it's like fly on sh!t!

~we have a wide variety of jobs available, inner city usually consists of temporary and manufacturing/assembly jobs, nursing is also popular and self-employed individuals like real estate agents to insurance sales reps.

~due to the high inflation things have gone up a bit, renting is at $1000/mo. on average, housing market is at the average price of $235k-$260K for single family,
a bowl of pho is approximately $12.00, a dozen eggs is $4.99, gas is at $3.29/gallon, utilities on average is $200/mo during summer and $400/winter (for single family homes).
Western metro cities is more affluent, that's where most of the rich people live.  avoid the whole city of minneapolis, poor politics, crimes and people.

~never feel pressured to move, i came to visit and just haven't left yet...that's like 2 decades ago!

Qhia nwg tej nov dabsti os tsovtom...

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline TsovTom

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 01:47:15 PM »
Qhia nwg tej nov dabsti os tsovtom...
mn has been dry lately, we need more "pojlaibs"! 

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +248
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2023, 02:04:04 PM »
mn has been dry lately, we need more "pojlaibs"!

O0 O0

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2023, 02:29:47 PM »
Whatever we tell you isn't anything like just moving here and living it by experience,
Rebel.

Go ahead and move here.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2023, 02:32:49 PM »
hmong captial  of the world... right

;D ;D ;D

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2023, 03:16:36 PM »
My turn and my non midwest bias and non hmong point of view is better.

You need to come in the summer and the winter.  I did both and had a heck of a good time for both but that was only because my situation as a former playboy and in my prime made it memorable.  I had a condo in the suburb, a bachelor pad and party it up every weekend.  Weds was college night at some club on rice street then thursday for typical asian night then friday then sat then we hibernate or go on dates on sunday

Your typical people lives in bunches in st. paul.  Like the movie grand turisimo, something like that.  I only hung out there a few times cuz I went to visit some chicks I just met at the club.  The follow up house visit are that important.  I don't think I can live in such neighborhood.  No hard feelings for those who are living there but it feels like a college type town living without the college student.  Older Victorian homes so of speak.  Everyone else lives out in the suburb and on the weekend, everyone come flooded into the metro phis because that is where them bars and clubs are at.  It was fun in the summertime before the pandemic as the streets are flooded with young crowds like how they be walking the strips of vegas.  I don't know what is happening now as my cousin from mn are kind of retired from that scene.  They only do big venue events and the last one I did was last year for j4 at club myth.  This venue is nice.  Almost vegas like  O0 

Unless you go to hmong central, it will be hard for you to find a hmong in the suburbs unless you go find them at your local walmart.   The good single people are all taken by word of month or friends hook up and add just less than 2 years of dating and they all get married and have kids. Hmong high school dating to me is a joke.  IF they get married at that young of an age then that's a bigger joke.  If they are not married then they will end up with someone else. 

uptown perhaps.  Last time I had sophisticated coffee there was asking for a double shot.  What I got was strong coffee, about two tablespoonful amount in a small cup.   :2funny:

I hunt for my women on the weekends.  I get as much numbers as possible and for off days like sun, mon, tuesday, those are follow up date days.  If they are good enough, I'll meet them at the clubs over the weekend.  You know the numbers keep on piling up so as a guy, I have only one week to follow up on them or else they will forget who you are.  Why so?  Well you are not the only guy that asked for their number.  Women are players too  :2funny:

I give you hint on how you can use your vagina to capture a professional guy.  They hang out at bars and lounges at them bigger hotels.  Usually they are traveling guys so they may not be in it for a long time. Just be warn. 

It gets hot and humid.  I'm a summer guy so I can take it.  I loved hot weather as I love sweating to the oldies.  I don't drive in the snow.  I hated it.  We have snow up them ways to tahoe and reno and when it snow with chain requires, I stay home.  I visited mn during the winter time and I had a rental.  I was skidding all over the place because I can't drive slow.

If you want hmong action, you have to make hmong friends.  They will bring you into their world as my hmong associates all have done for me.  I don't have hmong connection in MN no more as my family now lives 30 minutes away from the metropolis.  Where they at, all white folks.  You can tell by going to the local liquor store and you are the only asian head around.  The only way for me to see hmong or asian is if I would go to the mall of america or go to a pho house or asian grocery stores like sun foods. Back in them days when we were living in brooklyn park which is kind of a diverse city as broklyn center is just next door and they are known for kaydoos, we would go to a $2 movie theater on tuesday in brookyn center and you would see a bunch of hmong kids there.  They would bring their gf and what a cheap date it is.   

Believe it or not, I used to work in mn too.  I even had my mn driver license and fishing license too.  I overstayed a trip because I met a gal, pa moua, and took employment because I was bored during the weekdays since my cousin is at work and all.  I made beer money.  Actually, I got the job interview over the phone while I was boarding my plane.  I applied for the position before I went on vacation.  It was a backup just in case i get bored and I could not believe they actually called me for an interview.  It was during a better time though as jobs openings were everywhere.  Some hmong girls I dated, well most of them are into healthcare so it is a nitch for the hmong people to get into healthcare as a stable job.  Not sure about the job market there now though.  [/color]

If you look on zillow website, you can find the housing in certain areas.  If you are talking about 2 hours away from metropolis and living in the woods and out of nowhere then yes, housing is cheaper.   

You might fall in love with it at first trip but after a few trips, I'm jaded.  Well that is because I broke hearts and when I see them women again, they'll biatch at me for leaving them but hey, they are now married with other people.  Mn is cool but not for me.  The only time I want to go mn now is during the j4 time when I get to see more hmong and to me, it is interesting to ask them where they are from.  If they are from st paul/minneapolis, I already know what they are about.  IF they are from califodrnia, I'll pass   :2funny:  If they are from cities that is foreigner to me then perhaps I get interested for a bit like eau clare but that's wisconsin or down southern tip of mn closer to illinois.  Different hmongs are different, depending on where they live.  They say that if you want changes in your life, you have to make gradually changes.  My hmong friend left his wife and kids on the drop of a dime, just to moved to mn and be with his mistress.  He is living with her so he's poocee whip cuz, well what choice does he has?  Get kick out and go homeless or move back to cali and still be a laughing stock by his clan?   

Now here's my take on your situation.  If stalking ex bf of yours is the reason for you to move then do it.  Just remember to start fresh cuz once the hmong there knows that you bump "OTHERS", you'll then be a nam yau $2  :2funny: To live in a place, you have to have a foundation. You have to have a network of friends unless you are an introvert and being a lone fits you best.  You have to have a way to make your dollar bills and you have to have things to do to kill the time.  YOu can't just drink coffee every week unless you own a coffee shop.  The hmong there tends to get fatter in the winter for hibernation but i also heard that mn is where you find more people working out and doing healthy things.  Maybe because there are less things to do thus why they spend so much time working out.  Here in california, we are a hustler.  We have so many things that we can do that squeezing in a working out session is far and beyond.  I've been to mn and had a condo for vacation living and was at a point of moving there but things did not work out for me.  California is where my heart is at.  It just a tad more expensive as california was not meant for the poor to live in.  Now if I had a trusted family member that lives in mn, i can make the money in cali and pumps that money over to mn as the dollar goes further in mn.  In no time, I can buy all the houses on a given block in mn and retire there as the king of my castle.  Maybe in my next life I would do that.  Thank you for reading and good luck to you and what you want to do in your lifetime.  As always, stay beautiful  :D

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2023, 03:52:15 PM »
Don't move there.  Don't let them midwest dudes to fawk you   :2funny:

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

P90xbox

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2023, 10:54:21 PM »
dang girl, some of my childhood friends had moved back to Cali..yeah they were part of the mid 90's migration to the midwest and east coast...lols only one of them told me like it is...it's too damn cold, and the snow was just too much...haha true californian... lols the few others were like, oh we just missed cali...we were kids and if our parents move, we had to go along...but I know..it's the damn cold...lols

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 10:57:57 PM »
dang girl, some of my childhood friends had moved back to Cali..yeah they were part of the mid 90's migration to the midwest and east coast...lols only one of them told me like it is...it's too damn cold, and the snow was just too much...haha true californian... lols the few others were like, oh we just missed cali...we were kids and if our parents move, we had to go along...but I know..it's the damn cold...lols

Yup

They can’t handle the cold
When it -20 degree and you just need that sunshine

;D ;D ;D

Don’t act like yall can handle the heat 100+
When i was there
We don’t even get out till the sun goes down
Indoor and AC

P90xbox

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2023, 11:06:05 PM »
Yup

They can’t handle the cold
When it -20 degree and you just need that sunshine

;D ;D ;D

Don’t act like yall can handle the heat 100+
When i was there
We don’t even get out till the sun goes down
Indoor and AC

shit bros, our last summer was humid as fuke...climate change man yo..for reals...haha

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 11:09:15 PM »
shit bros, our last summer was humid as fuke...climate change man yo..for reals...haha

Yea i was in the cali valley many moons ago
It was freakin sweaty balls 24/7
Basically no wind, air or cloud at all

THANK hmong YER SHAO for the AC

;D ;D

P90xbox

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2023, 11:17:27 PM »
not just no valley man, the bay area was hitting triple digits too yo man, it was scary man...with the ocean right there and still triple digits...somet hing ain't right man...haha good thing is raining season for cali this past winter was like what a normal cali winter should be...so should be a pretty normal summer this year..hot, but no humid...cool evenings...riv ers and lakes high, great fishing ahead this summer..haha

Advertisements