Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting close to the season  (Read 469 times)

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +650
    • View Profile
Getting close to the season
« on: June 09, 2023, 05:43:19 PM »

Can’t wait…

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Getting close to the season
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 05:57:57 PM »
Not a big fan of peach but nice photos, thanks for sharing, +1.  O0

Like this post: 0

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 06:16:39 PM »
I have some girls who have love affairs with fruits throughout the seasons here. I do enjoy stone fruits as well.

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 06:37:42 PM »
Love them!

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 09:45:25 AM »

Full blown for melons though. What are the best ways to pick a watermelon?

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 01:07:37 PM »

Full blown for melons though. What are the best ways to pick a watermelon?

test it by....   well from what I saw from other customers

they knocked it.  They smelled it

To me, I'm looking for that yellow base as a sign of ripen.  Sweet and all but there is a way that I forgotten where you get more red than white skin, although mommy would asked us kids to eat the red and leave her the white skin where she recycled it to stir fry it into another dish.  It is her secret to taking care of leftovers.  She knows that we kids do not eat leftovers so she modify and hides it by turning it into another dish.   O0

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 09:27:03 AM »
I wish...hasn't tasted as good since 2018. I used to be able to get 5 for $5. Now they're over-priced, small and not as sweet. Well, the ones we get shipped to the Midwest anyway. CA must be holding out.

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 11:04:00 AM »
test it by....   well from what I saw from other customers

they knocked it.  They smelled it

To me, I'm looking for that yellow base as a sign of ripen.  Sweet and all but there is a way that I forgotten where you get more red than white skin, although mommy would asked us kids to eat the red and leave her the white skin where she recycled it to stir fry it into another dish.  It is her secret to taking care of leftovers.  She knows that we kids do not eat leftovers so she modify and hides it by turning it into another dish.   O0

I use the leftover for compost from pretty much everything that can used as compost.

The ways I pick watermelon is the shape, weight, color, and only during season. When in season, most watermelons will be delicious. I’m trying to pick the right texture inside as it can get kind of mushy and that would be straight to compost.

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 11:15:00 AM »
I wish...hasn't tasted as good since 2018. I used to be able to get 5 for $5. Now they're over-priced, small and not as sweet. Well, the ones we get shipped to the Midwest anyway. CA must be holding out.

I buy most of my white peaches but the yellow are grown in my yards. Sweet and a tinge of sour for the home grown but goes great with tajin. The local white peaches are deliciously sweet every year but I think it’s a different kind of sweet toward the later stage where the pink becomes more pronounced like the picture above. It varies from vendors so I tend to stick to just one. This farmer has a following so get there quick and move on or get stuck in line and the potential of not getting anything is looming.

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 11:21:52 AM »

I always go early to beat the crowd.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023, 11:29:38 AM »
I buy most of my white peaches but the yellow are grown in my yards. Sweet and a tinge of sour for the home grown but goes great with tajin. The local white peaches are deliciously sweet every year but I think it’s a different kind of sweet toward the later stage where the pink becomes more pronounced like the picture above. It varies from vendors so I tend to stick to just one. This farmer has a following so get there quick and move on or get stuck in line and the potential of not getting anything is looming.

I prefer white and only when they're crisp and slightly sweet like an apple  ???

I want that snap when I bite into it. I'm a ruffage guys so I eat it with the skin on.

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2023, 11:52:00 AM »
Maybe you might like white nectarines if that is your preference. White nectarines are excellent and delicious too more crunch than peaches imo. Also, if pick off the trees, you’ll get that freshness and more likely that crisp but peaches have a good range if kept cool.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2023, 12:09:07 PM »
Maybe you might like white nectarines if that is your preference. White nectarines are excellent and delicious too more crunch than peaches imo. Also, if pick off the trees, you’ll get that freshness and more likely that crisp but peaches have a good range if kept cool.

We tried. My fil tried growing a tree but it never matured. Ended up green and sour. It was great with peppers  ;D

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2023, 12:58:50 PM »
No lie, I get confused when paying at the self check out at walmart. 

So which one did I end up bagging?  White or yellow peach?  One is $2.69 vs one is $2.99.  Maybe that is why I'm the employee of the year because I'm bankrupting walmart with my mistake.   :2funny:

Not on purpose though.  Don't want to bust a hmoobrock and make him a gawd.   ;D

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Advertisements