Advertisement

Author Topic: This hmong educator is teaching hmong  (Read 1155 times)

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
This hmong educator is teaching hmong
« on: July 07, 2023, 03:34:26 PM »
California educator teaches kids their native language. ‘You cannot find an app for Hmong’

https://news.yahoo.com/california-educator-teaches-kids-native-123000770.html?fr=yhssrp_catchall

O0 O0 O0

Like this post: 0
X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Adverstisement

Offline Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
Re: This hmong educator is teaching hmong
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2023, 07:41:15 PM »
Pssshhhfff... we have to donate so this bill pass. Good riddance.

Just create an account on YT and teach it for free. Sheez  ::)

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
Re: This hmong educator is teaching hmong
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 03:49:08 PM »
Many Hmong charter schools receive funding to do this. Minnesota has a great standard set up. The real problem is: they won't let the people who are passionate about it do what they need to do.

The other issue is that many Hmong students are struggling in school as it is. The pandemic only worsened the situation. At one charter school, more than 70% of the students tested below basic. There was a push to stay focused on core content, NOT Hmong language and culture.

Until Hmong parents are willing to step up and pay out of their own pockets, rather than rely on public education, their children will lose the language and culture. I was very disappointed in the Fresno community. After decades of having one of the largest Hmong communities in the US, they have done very little to create a thriving Hmong environment where Hmong youths can live out their Hmong identity. It is a challenge but not impossible. The Hmong simply need to be more proactive about keeping their language.

Hmong camp is a start but beyond that, where would Hmong youth utilize their language in ways that they find meaningful and beneficial?

« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 03:30:39 PM by Believe_N_Me »

Advertisements