Advertisement

Author Topic: I've been on the fastest and like 80 on 65 or 70 on 55, folks are just not using  (Read 346 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1333
    • View Profile
..common sense so that's probably the main reason why accidents are up  ???:

AAA Tracks Impact of Raising Speed Limits: More Crashes, Fewer Tickets

The Impact of Speed Limit Adjustments on Road Safety: A Study by AAA

The past decade has seen a shift in the approach to speed limits across the United States. While state governments have advocated for higher speed limits on limited-access highways, urbanists have championed road diets and reduced limits in cities and towns. However, the efficacy of these initiatives has been difficult to measure without comprehensive data. In an effort to provide insights into the impact of speed limit adjustments, AAA conducted a study over the past five years, excluding 2020 due to the pandemic. The study analyzed speed limit changes on various roadways nationwide, including interstate highways, principal arteries, minor arteries, and collectors. Let’s delve into some key takeaways from the study.

Raising speed limits may lead to more fatal accidents

One of the most significant findings of the AAA study is the potential increase in fatal accidents when speed limits are raised. While fatalities increased on three of the roads where limits were raised, two others saw a decline, and one showed no change. Notably, the increase in fatalities on interstates I-70 and I-95 was offset by a decline on I-84. However, AAA emphasizes that the combined total of fatalities across the three interstates did not show a statistically significant increase. The small variances in fatalities suggest that a longer-term study would be necessary for more definitive analysis.

I took these photos when I was on the fastest highway in America, and if you're not going at least 100 MPH, stay on the slow lane. Even with moderate traffic, folks still don't care about others sharing the roads with them:

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Even 18 wheelers are pushing pass 85mph on that stretch of the fastest highway in the U.S. I was following one doing 90mph on the *slow* lane... ;D:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 03:19:25 PM by theking »

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
It's a "toll" highway so some are not willing to pay to drive on it but many of those that do just don't use common sense from what I saw:

"allowable speed limit is 85 mph, State Highway 130 in Texas – between San Antonio and Austin. Highway 130 was privately constructed in 2012, is a toll road and parallels highly congested Interstate Highway 35."

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
It's a good idea but like many other situations, when folks don't use common sense, tragedy can happen:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 03:20:06 PM by theking »

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +657
    • View Profile

Fastest I ever gone on a vehicle, 140. Above picture, I was passing but quickly went to right lane.

On one of those highways, I had a 18 wheeler passed me while I was going 90.

Like this post: +1

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Yep, gotta go with the "there's a time and place"....

I've done over 100mph on several occasions but got to be the right time and place like this "loneliest road in America"...for example:

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +657
    • View Profile
Interstate 70, and 80 are pretty nice to punch it pass 100 since some areas and states are 80-85 limit and not much vehicles on the interstates on that stretch. Utah i70 had 85 limit for a long time(hundreds of mikes) and i70 in CO had 80. Wyoming had 80 on i80.I feel like people drive so fast on the interstates in CO. I’m going 90 and getting passed up by so many locals.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Here's more info on the fastest highway in America but it's still slower than some other spots around the world... ???:

This Texas highway is the fastest in the United States. What is the posted speed limit?

If there was ever a doubt, the fastest posted speed limit in the country can be found in the Lone Star State. Texans are familiar with driving on roadways with 70 or 75 mph speed limits. There are even a few sections of highways where 80 mph is the maximum speed. However, the fastest posted speed limit in the country of 85 mph is only found in a certain stretch of Texas highway.

Here’s what we know: WHERE IN TEXAS IS THE SPEED LIMIT 85 MPH?

To really put the pedal to the metal, Texans need to head south. Former teacher gives victim impact statement to Timberview High shooter State Highway 130 between State Highway 45 in Austin and Interstate 10 in Seguin is where drivers can legally drive 85 mph, according to Driving Geeks. The 85 mph segment runs about 41 miles. The stretch of speedy highway passes through towns such as Mustang Ridge, Mendoza and Lockhart. WHAT DOES TEXAS LAW SAY ABOUT SPEED LIMITS? Texas law sets the maximum posted speed limit at 70 mph, but there are a few exceptions. The Texas Transportation Commission is allowed to bump up the speed limit in certain sections to 75, 80 and 85 mph, according to the Texas Department of Transportation . The speed limit can be raised if the highway is deemed safe and reasonable after a traffic or engineering study. Speed limits on state highways can be set by either the commission or by city government if its within city limits.

IS 85 MPH IN TEXAS THE HIGHEST SPEED LIMIT IN THE WORLD?

Nope, just in the United States. Certain stretches of roadway in the United Arab Emirates capitol Abu Dhabi have posted speed limits of 160 km/h, which translates to about 99 mph, according to Which Car. Other speed limits set in the United Arab Emirates include 140 km/h, which is round 86 mph. However, while the UAE holds the highest posted speed limit sign in the world, the German autobahn is a different story. About 70% of the autobahn is free of speed limits, with the average driver traveling about 141.8 km/h or 88 mph, according to the University of Washington. But the fastest speed ever recorded on the autobahn came in 1938 from German race car driver Rudolf Caracciola, who traveled 432.59 km/h or 268.8 mph.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/article277715778.html#storylink=cpy

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
My uncle can not drive faster than 85mph.  He gets nervous.  It is built in some people's blood.  Like phobias and what not. 

I too get nervous in the triple digits.  If your car vibrates, it is time to slow down.  I trust the car but I don't trust the tries. Unless it is new or near new, I wouldn't mess around them higher speed limit. My phobia is going high speed and your tires blow out. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Advertisements