Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong is the biggest Asian ethnic group there so hope they didn't run into hate  (Read 155 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1329
    • View Profile
...too  ???:

Homophobia Rears Its Head at Chili Cook-Off at California County Fair

Competitors at a chili cook-off in Northern California say they were subjected to homophobic slurs at the event and that someone drove a vehicle over their goods.

Thomas and Cody Nicholson Stratton, a married same-sex couple who own a farm called the Foggy Bottoms Boys, were competing in the cook-off at the Humboldt County Fair in Ferndale, according to the Times-Standard, a newspaper in nearby Eureka.

They heard antigay comments from another attendee all day, such as “Oh, that’s so gay. You should be over there. With the F-ggy Bottoms Boys,” Thomas Nicholson Stratton told the paper. He did not identify the source.

“As I was going to get our vehicle to pack up our items, we had that person that was doing hateful comments run over some of our ingredients and then back over them again,” damaging the supplies and a piece of equipment, he said. he continued. “Our employees were literally a foot away sitting on coolers and chairs,” he noted.

Other people on the commenter’s team kept trying to intervene and did not join in the homophobic actions, he added.

Although Nicholson Stratton did not name the person or team involved, an area business, the LoCo Fish Co., apologized via a comment on the Foggy Bottoms Boys’ Instagram post about the incident.

“I’m extremely sorry for our actions,” LoCo wrote. “We are NOT anti-LGBTQ in any shape or form.” The Times-Standard sought comment from the business but did not receive a response.

Not sure if these Hmong folks participated at that Fair but if they did, hope they did well:

The circular Yang's Kitchen tent set up in Old Town for the last Friday Night Market of the year resembles a beehive. Owner Thao Yang and his wife, Mai Vang, dart around and past one another from the bubbling fryers to the stainless steel bowls of sauce and up to the front window to pass paper trays of eggrolls and saucy chicken wings to a young man taking orders and calling out customers' names to the cluster of people on the curb. Around the sides and the open flap in back of the tent, a handful of friends and family are milling and chatting.

Yang's Kitchen is one the few Hmong-owned food businesses in Humboldt County and among those, possibly the only food vendor or restaurant. Yang has been making the rounds selling mainly wings, eggrolls, crab cheese puffs and fried rice and noodles at local events and on Wednesdays at the Bigfoot Taproom in McKinleyville. But he's got his sights on expanding with a broader menu that includes more Chinese and Hmong dishes, as well as a truck from which to sell them.

Born and raised in Eureka, Yang says the climate drew his Hmong parents Chong Yang and Va Xiong, who immigrated from Laos after fighting for the U.S. during the Vietnam War, to the North Coast after stints in Boston and Fresno.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +248
    • View Profile
A gay couple name their farm Bottom Boys?  :2funny: :2funny:

So, they had one person who's anti-gay that's throwing those hateful comments at them. I have had racist comments throw at me from white, black, latino and othe asian but I report it.

You'll never get rid of hateful, racist, etc etc people.

Like this post: 0
- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Advertisements