Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong Clan Orgs  (Read 666 times)

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
Hmong Clan Orgs
« on: October 09, 2023, 01:16:14 PM »
Just curious, what functions does the clan organization serve?

I understand the theory historically. I've seen celebratory events, fundraising and "parties". Rarely have I seen anything that's impactful enough or at all to justify the money they bring in. Especially when many file as non-profits.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline JonniJacko

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Re: Hmong Clan Orgs
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 10:43:05 PM »
the hell that old Hmong man drives a tundra and owns a 500k house. haha

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 10:44:59 AM »
My point exactly. Take it with a grain of salt but with what these orgs put out on social media I would assume that it feels/looks like some sort of grifting is going on. Someone prove otherwise.

Offline Prude

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 10:46:52 AM »
Just curious, what functions does the clan organization serve?

I understand the theory historically. I've seen celebratory events, fundraising and "parties". Rarely have I seen anything that's impactful enough or at all to justify the money they bring in. Especially when many file as non-profits.

Days of yesteryears of practice or traditions when a chief rules over the group of people living
in a same location.

Clan doesn't mean you share the same last name. Clan means you are under the same chief.
A Yang chief can have clan members who are Lee surnames, Her surnames, and Yang surnames.
That was what my grandpa was to our clan.

The chief decides all things. Marriage conflicts, other conflicts like theft of someone's cow or
pig.

He is also responsible for all things that happen in his village that's under his control. Someone from
another village gets killed in his town, he has to respond to it.

That's what it was.

Now they are trying to do those things but it's not working anymore. So, they keep titles.
That's it.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 10:00:44 AM »
Days of yesteryears of practice or traditions when a chief rules over the group of people living
in a same location.

Clan doesn't mean you share the same last name. Clan means you are under the same chief.
A Yang chief can have clan members who are Lee surnames, Her surnames, and Yang surnames.

The chief decides all things. Marriage conflicts, other conflicts like theft of someone's cow or
pig.

He is also responsible for all things that happen in his village that's under his control. Someone from

That's what it was.

Now they are trying to do those things but it's not working anymore. So, they keep titles.
That's it.

So it's not truly "Clan" but chief?

Offline Prude

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 03:34:57 AM »
So it's not truly "Clan" but chief?

Yes.

But the Hmong orgs are missing the real meaning. Now all those with the same surnames
(the elders say "last names") under one chief are clan members.

When I think of clan, I think of very backward Native American tribes that live on
hunting with arrows and savagery. I'm not sure why I have that.

Why do we continue to use  "Clan" for the Hmong in modern Saint Paul, Minnesota?

« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 03:41:18 AM by Prude »

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 09:38:40 PM »
Take for example our PH LOCAL VILLAGE IDIOT: theking
He doesn’t go out and chop meat
Eat laab and drink budlight with the guys
Don’t meet and talk to any of his relatives

Don’t know anyone

When his parents die and he want to do a hmong funeral
But there no one he knows
Cuz he skip out on all hmong stuff

So he call the 18 hmong clan
They will help find you people to do funeral, wedding, shaman, etc…
Settle divorce and etc…
Of course its going cost you

O0 O0

God did not created man...man created god

Offline Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2023, 11:39:48 PM »
:laughing4: hamungKAREN getting personal.

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 06:05:50 AM »
...because the politics that the governments have their hands in on...in the end, they want the voting power of the mindless mass.

The government money is there, either use it or lose it.  So some people just waste it.  That's how millionaires are made over night. 

Now with that little bit of poli power...they feel big in head of supposedly being head of clans now...bossing everyone around.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +248
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 08:26:36 AM »
in a same location.

pig.

That's what it was.

That's it.

I beg to differ... It depends on how you define what 'clan' is... A clan is a group of people united by actual or perceived kinship and descent.- this is the definition I use when dealing with Hmong clan.

In the old days, some villages have one chief while others have their own clan leader and no village chief. Usually, the dominant group clan will have one of its member as the village chief.

Hmong people have always done things by clan... meaning, they will support their own clan over the other.

The current Hmong Org don't work because they carried that mentality into the organization. I see many of these Hmong orgs run that way - whatever clan is in charge that year, their members benefit the most.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 09:41:33 AM »
I beg to differ... It depends on how you define what 'clan' is... A clan is a group of people united by actual or perceived kinship and descent.- this is the definition I use when dealing with Hmong clan.

In the old days, some villages have one chief while others have their own clan leader and no village chief. Usually, the dominant group clan will have one of its member as the village chief.

Hmong people have always done things by clan... meaning, they will support their own clan over the other.

The current Hmong Org don't work because they carried that mentality into the organization. I see many of these Hmong orgs run that way - whatever clan is in charge that year, their members benefit the most.

i don't think you seen the modern USA version...
i will just tell you
cuz i've been in a few of those meeting myself as viewer (my uncle is a part of it)

they will select a leader
and the leader will rule and make decision and case
the leader will be incharge for that area like MN, wisconsin, california, appleton, milkwaukee and etc...

they do alot of good things man
help do wedding, funeral, hmong divorcee, new year, event etc...
even help some of family member get citizen ship  O0 O0 O0
and voting and stuff

;D ;D ;D

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +248
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 12:20:30 PM »
i don't think you seen the modern USA version...
i will just tell you
cuz i've been in a few of those meeting myself as viewer (my uncle is a part of it)

they will select a leader
and the leader will rule and make decision and case
the leader will be incharge for that area like MN, wisconsin, california, appleton, milkwaukee and etc...

they do alot of good things man
help do wedding, funeral, hmong divorcee, new year, event etc...
even help some of family member get citizen ship  O0 O0 O0
and voting and stuff

;D ;D ;D

Did I ever claimed all of them are bad? I said many because I've seen how they operate.
No Hmong org control a whole state bro... The only one that  a lot of Hmong tend to agree with is the 18 clans council thing... Not sure about the correct name.
Other than that, some cities have their own Hmong org.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2023, 12:55:03 PM »
Did I ever claimed all of them are bad? I said many because I've seen how they operate.
No Hmong org control a whole state bro... The only one that  a lot of Hmong tend to agree with is the 18 clans council thing... Not sure about the correct name.
Other than that, some cities have their own Hmong org.

They do good stuff man
Organize hmong new year as i type this

;D ;D

Advertisements