Advertisement

Author Topic: Can't really blame dad, just be grateful that he did your responsibility for you  (Read 746 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
..because it's not his job to raise your kid too after raising you... ???:

My dad used to babysit my toddler. He broke all the rules.

When my daughter was a toddler, I was lucky to have a job where I could work from home. However, occasionally, I had to go into the office for meetings. My dad was our go-to babysitter because he had a flexible job. Caroline loved him, and he was free.

I am a very routine-oriented parent. I regularly enforced naptimes and bedtimes, limited screen time, and made sure snacks were always healthy. My parents knew our household rules and followed them — or so I thought.

Cream puffs were in endless supply
The first time my dad showed up to babysit, he brought a catering-size box of cream puffs from the wholesale store. He said that he thought he and Caroline might like a snack. I thought, "OK, why not?" and figured a little treat couldn't hurt.

But when I got home, the box was almost empty, and I was livid. What kind of sugar high would I now have to deal with while my dad drove home to peace and quiet?

Grandpa wasn't adept with diaper changing
I arrived home one day after a long day of meetings and an hour's commute to my dad and Caroline smiling at me from the front door. It lifted my spirits to see them there so happy. I got out of the car and walked up the sidewalk to Caroline's outstretched hands as my dad announced proudly, "I didn't have to change her diaper all day!"

I couldn't believe it. Caroline's diaper was soaked through with pee. It turns out my dad thought you only had to change a diaper if the kid pooped. Good thing Caroline wasn't prone to diaper rash.

Naptime wasn't just for the little one
I knew my dad knew the naptime routine — read a few books, lay down with Carolina for a minute, then tuck her in and leave the room. This was one thing I felt confident that he would handle according to my guidelines because he liked the break.

Where I would normally go to my office across the hall to work during naptime, my dad went to the recliner. I assumed he would watch a ball game or play solitaire on his phone. Turns out, it was his naptime, too. I found out because our very verbal almost-3-year-old told us later she had gotten out of bed, found my dad sleeping, and went back to her room to play dolls.

She was so proud of herself for "sneaking." She wasn't savvy enough to realize she not only just told on herself but also ratted out my dad.

After we put Caroline to bed that night, my husband asked if we should even leave her with my dad. The sleeping on the job had him worried, but I reassured him everything was fine. My dad's a light sleeper, and if anything happened, I knew he'd be awake and take care of things.

Sure, it was frustrating when my dad ignored our rules. But now Caroline's a freshman in college who eats vegetables and has a good-enough sleep routine despite the rule-breaking my dad did. Not only that, but he's also her "Words with Friends" partner and the one she texts when she hears a funny joke. He texts her when he needs a "young example" for one of his sermons. Their relationship is one to make any grandpa envious, and who's to say that it didn't start in those days when they sneaked a few cream puffs together, away from my watchful eye?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Advertisements