Advertisement

Author Topic: Agree, age is not as important as compatibility  (Read 1516 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Agree, age is not as important as compatibility
« on: November 01, 2023, 12:15:55 AM »
A 26-year-old woman says dating a 43-year-old aligns with her lifestyle more than dating men her age

Day Villafane, a 26-year-old in Philadelphia, is dating a man who is 17 years older than her. Villafane said she's always had relationships with significant age-gaps, and prefers it that way. She said that older men tend to have more similar interests than peers her age.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
Re: Agree, age is not as important as compatibility
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 09:58:58 PM »
She's dating a GILF (Granddaddy I Like to Fv<k).

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 10:58:14 PM »
A 33-year-old woman is married to a 51-year-old. This is how they navigate raising kids while having different energy levels.

Dr. Mindy DeSeta, a Miami-based licensed mental health counselor and sexologist, first met her husband through their friend group when she was 25 and he was 43. They casually dated on and off, both hesitant to fully jump in due to their 18-year difference in age.

But after two years of going back and forth, they still had feelings for each other. So they decided to pursue a more serious relationship.

"We then gave it that second try, but really acknowledging that there is this age gap and some of the challenges that we could be up against," DeSeta, now 33, told Insider.

After a year of officially dating, the couple tied the knot and now have a one-year-old son.

Like any other couple, they've experienced challenges in their age-gap relationship. But DeSeta also said it comes with perks.

Dr. Mindy DeSeta
Dr. Mindy DeSeta
DeSeta became a young stepmother
DeSeta was 27 when they began the serious part of their relationship and took on the role of a stepmother to her husband's daughter from a previous relationship, who was eight at the time.

"I was really young," she said. "If you're with someone who's older, you're young coming in as a stepmom or a stepparent and you have no formal training."

She was also worried about what her friends and family would think of the relationship. Even if people didn't say anything to her directly, she said she feels "there's always some internal judgment" from others.

But over time, it became easier for her to cope with. "I think living in Miami has been huge because nobody looks twice at our age difference down here," she said. "It's very common."

DeSeta's husband helped her achieve her career dreams
One perk to dating someone older, DeSeta said, is that they can help walk you through life experiences that they've already been through — including career milestones. "They've been through it and they can almost give you that reassurance," she said.

With her husband's help, DeSeta opened her own boutique therapy service in Miami, where she offers individual and couples therapy, as well as sex therapy and hypnotherapy.

"He is entrepreneuria l at heart, and he had learned so many lessons on how to build a successful business through his 20 years ahead of me," she said. "So I was able to come in and really take his guidance and build a successful practice on the first try."

Dr. Mindy DeSeta
Dr. Mindy DeSeta
They have different energy levels, but make compromises
DeSeta said she and her husband, who is now 51, are "very active" and enjoy wakeboarding together. But their age gap also means they have different energy levels.

"I was used to a life of going out, living in the city, and at his age, he was used to Friday nights at home," DeSeta said. "After a long week, he was mentally and physically tired when I would just keep bouncing."

She said how they spend weekends together is one of the compromises they've made as a couple. DeSeta said she'll either go out without her husband or stay in on Fridays, but then they'll do things together the rest of the weekend.

Since having a child, these differences have come out more."I have a lot more energy than he does," she said. While her husband had raised a child before, she said it was "a surprise for him" to have less energy with age.

"He thought being active, he'd be able to get up five times a night and go to work the next day," she said. "Absolutely not. And I think maybe that was a little bit of a shock to me, too."

But as in any relationship, she said communication is key. "He respects where I am in life," DeSeta said. "I also respect where he is in life."

Offline Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 12:56:29 AM »
Shoot! Where can I find a rich MILF these days?  ;D

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 12:04:09 AM »
My husband is 11 years older than I am. When I met him at 23, I didn't think it would work, but our age gap was actually a good thing.

Our May-December romance began in 2003. We were both performing in a repertory theater in a converted basement where you could often hear the toilet flush during performances. He was performing in "The Fair Maid of the West", and I was in "Romeo and Juliet." The first time I saw him, he made a grand, hilarious entrance by literally rolling onto the stage. I thought, "Who is that handsome fool? I must know more…"

We met about a week later when a friend introduced us. I remembered seeing him onstage and was excited, but aside from saying "hello," he didn't give me the time of day. Even so, my crush on him didn't subside. Over the next two years, we continued to exchange hellos at various parties, or at the theater, until finally, at a cast party, we found ourselves huddled in a corner, completely smitten with one another, and he asked me out.

For our first official date, we went for ice cream. He told me about the 10 years he'd spent doing theater in another city, and it dawned on me that he might be older than I had initially assumed. I blurted out, "So how old are you?" He said, "34. How old are you?" After I steadied the ice cream I'd almost dropped in my lap, I said, "23." His smile evaporated as my heart sank. I think we both felt like it would never work. I needed more ice cream.

I didn't think my dad would love me dating an older guy, and I was worried we might not have that much in common. But we had a connection we couldn't deny, so we continued dating and getting to know each other. We were incredibly compatible, and it didn't take long for us to realize that we weren't concerned with other people's opinions. We didn't have to justify our relationship to anyone else if we were happy.

Advertisement

After a year, we moved in together. After six years, he proposed. This past September, we celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary and 20 years together.

The author and her husband at their wedding in 2010.
The author and her husband at their wedding in 2010. Courtesy of the author
Our relationship taught me to value the experience that comes with age
My husband and I learned that our age gap was one of our greatest relationship strengths. At first, I didn't see the age difference as a benefit aside from the fact that it'd allowed him time to build up a larger savings account. But the things he'd already experienced and shared with me influenced some of the growth I went through during the first three or so years of our relationship.

His advice and support helped me navigate personal and professional situations I wouldn't have dared talk to anyone else about as a headstrong 20-something. It was like I had my own sexy Yoda. No man has ever received a greater compliment.

My experiences were just as valuable to him
He's solidly within the Gen X age range, and I'm on the cusp of the Gen X/millennial divide. I grew up using computers, and he was in college when they were just being made available to students. As our lives have shifted over the course of our marriage and his interests have moved away from acting toward carpentry and other crafts that don't require him to plaster on a forced smile for commercial auditions, I've helped him learn to use technology he wasn't proficient in.

Advertisement

I'd like to think I provided a safe space to help my partner learn and grow, even if that means he has sometimes asked me questions such as, "How do you tell the difference between a PDF and a JPEG?"

The author and her husband on a beach in 2004
The author and her husband in 2004. Courtesy of the author
There's a double standard when dating with an age gap
Though initially, my husband was hesitant to date someone so young, I noticed the not-so-subtle high-fives his buddies gave him when they learned we were dating; he was doing his best Leonardo DiCaprio impression. I didn't mind when it was good-natured joshing because I agreed; he was lucky to be dating me. But I didn't love it when people insinuated that I was a conquest of his. Luckily, my husband didn't like those sorts of machismo comments either and shot them down before I had to. We were on the same page about the tired tropes in which older men who dated younger women had earned some sort of prize.

Meanwhile, none of my friends said, "Way to hook a grandpa!" But I did have one friend at work who was hesitant about me dating him. She asked, "What's wrong with this guy? Why isn't he dating women his own age?"

I understood where she was coming from; I was lucky to have a friend with a healthy dose of skepticism and a protective instinct. But as she got to know him, her tune changed, and she even coordinated our wedding. Most of my friends noticed he was there for me, behaved like a mature adult, and was emotionally ready to be a caring partner.

Advertisement

Now, we've spent 20 years together; he turned 55 on his most recent birthday, and at this point, no one cares about our age difference. Finally, it seems all that matters to others is what's always mattered most to us in the first place — that we are committed to one another and that we're in love.

The author and her husband at an airport making silly faces at the camera.
The author and her husband in 2019. Courtesy of the author
We're managing life together and appreciate each other's strengths
Though we will always be a decade apart, maintaining our health and navigating aging has given us something in common. Things that used to separate us are now barely a blip on the radar. No longer do we butt heads over whether Journey or Nirvana is the better band; now, our mutual concerns are, "What's an umbrella policy?" and "How did a pillow send me to the chiropractor?"

The author and her husband wearing hats sitting on a gondola
The author and her husband in 2023. Courtesy of the author
We also have complementary strengths; I research things to death before deciding, and he makes choices without much fuss. Though we don't always see eye-to-eye about how to do things, we help each other through life, and see the positives in each other's approaches: His way works best for everyday decisions, such as picking a restaurant, and my way is great for choosing a mortgage. Because we've successfully navigated trivial and meaningful issues, we've discovered that the scary "adult" things we're now dealing with are more manageable.

Understanding that there are times when we will be in different places in life is inevitable. But we've learned how to help one another navigate these times. One thing we've always agreed on is that age is what you make of it.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 05:30:10 PM »
That guy is only 43?

Advertisements