Advertisement

Author Topic: They are not married so is she entitled to half??  (Read 102 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
They are not married so is she entitled to half??
« on: March 18, 2024, 10:25:15 PM »
I’ve paid rent to my boyfriend since 2012 — and helped raise his child. He’s making $200,000 on the sale of his home. Am I entitled to half?

I have a question, and I’m not sure who else I can ask without ruffling feathers. I’ve been with my significant other for 12 years now. We are not married! He had a 2-year-old son when I met him; his son is now 14. We also have a son together who is 2 years old. We recently put an offer on a new home and it was accepted. We have come up with a percentage split based on our incomes which works out to 58/42.

I moved into his home around 2012. I pay him a monthly rent and I also buy all the groceries and household items (laundry detergent, toilet paper, paper towels, etc). I take care of the landscaping by mowing or paying half for someone to mow. I pay half for mulch and I pay for all the plants and greenery myself. I have contributed to the decorations and upkeep of the home as well.

Only he is on the mortgage and the deed of the home we live in now. He’s looking at about a $200,000 profit when he sells his home. My question is: What is fair? I have taken care of his first child from another marriage for about 12 years — that’s a lot of money out of my pocket spent on food, hygiene items and household items. I have also taken care of the home all those years and helped to make it what it is today.

I’m not looking for financial gain, but I think maybe he should cover the realtor’s commission when we sell this home, or maybe cover a renovation project or two after we buy our new jointly-owned property. I will continue to pay for the older son’s expenses as he will be living in our new home most of the time (it’s 50/50 custody but he is with us about 75% of the time as he prefers to stay at our house). What are your thoughts?

Trying To Do What’s Right

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
Re: They are not married so is she entitled to half??
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 12:07:39 PM »
Yes. Let these people who want to play house learn a harsh lesson.

In fact, I'd want to take it a step farther. If a cohabitating couple splits, one of them should be able to get alimony as well.

Beware ladies, for dealing with a hobosexual. When you finally kick him out of your home for being a non-contributing bum who only used you because he wasn't an adult who could pay his own bills, maybe he should get monetary support from you too while he finds a new place and gets back on his feet. lol

Or how about the hobosexual who uses a woman while he's furthering his career - be it getting a degree, building his professional firm, etc. Maybe this hobosexual will have to pay her alimony when he ditches her.

Like this post: 0

Advertisements