Advertisement

Author Topic: That tends to be a common theme with brand new teachers  (Read 76 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
That tends to be a common theme with brand new teachers
« on: March 25, 2024, 02:02:18 PM »
‘It doesn’t work’: This Florida waitress says she tried doing what she loves but couldn’t afford to live

Waiting tables is a common way for students to make some extra pocket change while in college. But now, many keep serving way past college graduation.

Genevieve Sleboda, who goes by @genevieve.show on TikTok, revealed that she is one of these people in a viral video. After graduating with a master’s degree in education, she realized that none of the jobs in her field pay enough to cover her rent.

The Fort Lauderdale, Florida resident took a serving job at a bar instead — which she claims pays better than an education job.

“In this economy, as a post-grad Gen Z, I cannot afford to start a career on a first-year salary,” Sleboda says.

“I tried doing what I love — it doesn’t work out for me.”

Education vs serving

Jobs in Sleboda’s field of education pay a decent salary. Teachers make a median salary of $61,250, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). This falls slightly above the median national yearly earnings of $59,540.

But Sleboda says that when she has worked in education, it was bad news for her wallet: “I’ve had to take money out of my savings to pay my rent.”

Rent.com reports the median Florida rent as $2,099 per month — which equals over $25,000 over a year. This would mean that Sleboda would spend nearly half (41%) of her $61,250 education salary on rent.

Though servers tend to make less money per year than teachers — the BLS reports a median of $29,120 per year — they can make a lot in tips. Staffing platform Adia approximates that servers bring in $100 in tips per night. And none of those earnings are taxed.

If you work five shifts per week, you could bring in an extra $500 a week. By the end of the year, you’ll have an additional $24,000, nearly doubling your salary to $53,000 — almost as much as a teacher.

Not only could you bring in a similar amount of income to a teacher through serving, you’ll also avoid all the unpaid parts of the education profession: marking, lesson planning and parent calls. On an hourly basis, you may even find yourself coming out ahead, as Sleboda does.

Read more: The US dollar has lost 87% of its purchasing power since 1971 — invest in this stable asset before you lose your retirement fund

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
Re: That tends to be a common theme with brand new teachers
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 04:46:58 PM »
In some states, the bus drivers make more than the teachers.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: That tends to be a common theme with brand new teachers
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 10:50:45 PM »
Starting salary is an issue and then when Teachers try to do side hustle, they get fired...

It's no wonder there's a shortage of Teachers..  ::)

Michigan teacher fired after parent exposes her creative side hustle
Domonique Brown, who also goes by the rap name Drippin Honey, was voted teacher of the month in December

By day, Domonique Brown was a history teacher at Taylor Preparatory High School in the Detroit area, but in her off hours the educator worked as an aspiring rapper named Drippin Honey.

That is until she was let go from her job.

Brown told FOX 2 that a parent complained that she was a "bad influence" on her students because she’s a rapper, despite being voted teacher of the month in December.

She said she never received a complaint in writing and asked the administration, "Could we ask the parent to come in and see professionalis m, see me in a classroom, see me after school, see me at all the games, see me dropping kids off every day, buying food, doing all these things? Can they come see me in my element before they try to say I’m unprofessional?"

Brown said the parent remained anonymous and didn’t go into detail about what they found objectionable about her rapping.

"Music is part of the culture. We’re from Motown. This is what we do," she added.

This week, after her firing, Brown posted a music video on her social media that she made with some of her students.

In the video, "Drippin 101," Brown danced with her students and rapped about "Motown, baby, going crazy like the ‘80s."

Advertisements