Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong Ghost Stories  (Read 1590479 times)

LADY-K-TUSHLUB

Re: Hmong ghost stories
« Reply #1200 on: December 30, 2009, 01:51:12 PM »
Okay, more stories from the "old" country of Laos.  This one is from a friend of when they were younger.  He was an orphan and lived with an aunt and 7 other kids.  Most of the kids were between 10 and 14 years old.

Their house was built on a taller hill in a valley with taller mountains surrounding the valley.  The house was built at the end of the hill, with downward slopes on 3 sides of the house.  The main entrance is towards the flat side of the hill itself.  The family has farmlands all around the valley on all 3 sides of the hill.  The downward slopes of the surrounding mountains were still forested with trails leading to their house from other villages.  On the left mountainside, there is another family's house about 500 to 800 yards away.  That family is a family of a young husband and wife with a young child.

Every day, the children would tend the farm, tend the livestock, and bring enough water and firewood to last the night and the next morning.  But since it was closer to winter, the kids brought more than the usual amount of firewood and made a nice pile close to the house.

One moonlit night (qaim qaim hli), the children got ready for bed.  The aunt was the last one to go to bed, so she went to close the window.  The windows were the type where it is just like a door hinged at the top, propped up with a stick at the bottom.  It lets air in, but not rain.  By this time, it was maybe 9 or 10 PM at night. 

While the aunt was closing the window, she noticed three bright glowing dots coming down the trail on the right-side mountain (the side furthest from the other family).  It is said from the elders that when you see a lion at night, you can tell because of its three glowing dots, especially on moonlit nights.  The friend telling the story presumes it is the eyes (two of the dots) and the tip of the tail (the third dot) reflecting the moonlight.

So, with that knowledge, the aunt knew what was coming, so she quickly closed all the windows and told all the kids to not fall asleep yet.  That something was coming.  The next thing they knew, they heard this emanating roar fill the entire valley.  Immediately, they knew it's not the usual lion.  From what the aunt saw, the lion was still at least 1000 yards away (you know, 10 football field lengths) but the roar was as it the lion was already outside the house.

She quickly ushered the kids to go outside and start four fires -- one close to each corner of the house.  They were to throw chile peppers and faj (some sort of sulfur) into the fires.  The kids scrambled and split into teams of two -- two to each bonfire.

They quickly started four fires and threw chile peppers and faj into the fires.  The lion never came close, but it never stopped its roaring either.  The family and the lion kept at what they were doing all night long, until it started getting light.  The roaring stopped and they assumed the lion left.

By the time morning came, they had depleted their large pile of firewood and almost their entire stock of chile peppers they harvest from that year. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

LADY-K-TUSHLUB

« Reply #1201 on: December 30, 2009, 02:22:02 PM »
A few days later when an uncle of the family came to visit, the aunt told him about the lion's visit and how strange it was.  He had a few SKS's with him because he had come by after a hunt.  When he left, he left the family one of his SKS's and some ammo, some of which were tracers.  If you don't know what tracers, they are bullets that, when fired, they light up so you can see where the bullet is going when you shoot at night.  In a string of ammunition, every 3rd or 5th one is a tracer.  It is still a bullet, but it has the added capability.

Well, it was a good thing that the uncle left them that rifle.

A few months had past, but this time it was a dark summer's night.  It was in the middle of the night and all the windows (of the type I described earlier) were open.  Everyone was sleeping.  All of a sudden, a dav hli nyug (kinda like a vulture) let out its eery scream.

Back in the "old country", it is said that dav hli nyug's are either really a dav hli nyug, or it is a dav hli nyug turned into a monster, or just a monster.  So in other words, you never know what it actually is.  Its scream is so eery to people who hear it because it is said that whenever you hear it, it means somebody in your village died or is going to die.

Anyway, at first, they heard its scream from far away.  Just a few seconds later, its scream was closer.  Then just a few more seconds, its scream was closer.  It was as if it teleported closer and closer.  Finally, the scream came from the tree just outside the rear of the house (on one of the slopes). 

One of the older kids (older than my friend) went outside with the SKS and started shooting at the tree, which was about 50 feet away.  At that same moment, they could see tracers flying from the other family's house too.  The husband had come out with his rifle and started shooting too.  At that point, the screams of the dav hli nyug then switched to a further tree.  They started shooting at that other tree.  Then it just stopped.  After shooting for a few more seconds, they stopped and the screeches of it stopped too.

sweet_luvin

« Reply #1202 on: December 30, 2009, 02:22:48 PM »
LADY-K-TUSHLUB, the more I read ur stories, the more I remember ghost stories I've heard in the past. ;D

I know I shouldn't talk about this but I thought this was the scariest time of my life as a kid.

I remember as a kid, I would have dreams of my mom’s younger sister. I’ve never met her before nor seen how she looks like before. I can only see her in my dreams. I never understood why I had dreams about her coming to get me but every night as I go to sleep and starts dreaming, there she is. She would chase after me and tell me she’s hungry. Then she would tell me since she can’t take my mom with her, she’s going to take me. But I would run as fast as I can and hide from her. As soon as she catches up with me, I force myself to get up.. I remember I was scared to go to sleep because I knew it was coming for me. Sorta like the Freddy movie..

Anyhow, one night I was sitting under this table that was next to the window. It was pretty dark outside and I started hearing noises.. Then I felt something grabbed my head and said “ I’m coming to get you no matter what.” I moved the hand as fast as I can and came out under the table. I knew it’s got to be my mom’s sister only. As much as I dreamed of her and stupid things happening to me, I never told my parents. I had so many questions in my head on why my mom’s sister wants me instead of my mom but I remain silent. The only person I told about my dreams was to a friend and she gave me this dream catcher thingy.. Since then my dreams of her slowed down.

Not long after those dreams, my grandpa passed away and my parents decided to move away. Ever since then I don’t dream of her anymore. But I would think of her when I see one of my mom’s dress that my mom told me it belong to my mom’s sister.

It was until I married my husband is when I found out about how my mom’s sister passed away.

Hil

« Reply #1203 on: December 30, 2009, 02:34:52 PM »
LADY-K-TUSHLUB, the more I read ur stories, the more I remember ghost stories I've heard in the past. ;D

I know I shouldn't talk about this but I thought this was the scariest time of my life as a kid.

I remember as a kid, I would have dreams of my mom’s younger sister. I’ve never met her before nor seen how she looks like before. I can only see her in my dreams. I never understood why I had dreams about her coming to get me but every night as I go to sleep and starts dreaming, there she is. She would chase after me and tell me she’s hungry. Then she would tell me since she can’t take my mom with her, she’s going to take me. But I would run as fast as I can and hide from her. As soon as she catches up with me, I force myself to get up.. I remember I was scared to go to sleep because I knew it was coming for me. Sorta like the Freddy movie..

Anyhow, one night I was sitting under this table that was next to the window. It was pretty dark outside and I started hearing noises.. Then I felt something grabbed my head and said “ I’m coming to get you no matter what.” I moved the hand as fast as I can and came out under the table. I knew it’s got to be my mom’s sister only. As much as I dreamed of her and stupid things happening to me, I never told my parents. I had so many questions in my head on why my mom’s sister wants me instead of my mom but I remain silent. The only person I told about my dreams was to a friend and she gave me this dream catcher thingy.. Since then my dreams of her slowed down.

Not long after those dreams, my grandpa passed away and my parents decided to move away. Ever since then I don’t dream of her anymore. But I would think of her when I see one of my mom’s dress that my mom told me it belong to my mom’s sister.

It was until I married my husband is when I found out about how my mom’s sister passed away.

So? How did she pass?   ??? :o

Hil

« Reply #1204 on: December 30, 2009, 02:35:12 PM »
A few days later when an uncle of the family came to visit, the aunt told him about the lion's visit and how strange it was.  He had a few SKS's with him because he had come by after a hunt.  When he left, he left the family one of his SKS's and some ammo, some of which were tracers.  If you don't know what tracers, they are bullets that, when fired, they light up so you can see where the bullet is going when you shoot at night.  In a string of ammunition, every 3rd or 5th one is a tracer.  It is still a bullet, but it has the added capability.

Well, it was a good thing that the uncle left them that rifle.

A few months had past, but this time it was a dark summer's night.  It was in the middle of the night and all the windows (of the type I described earlier) were open.  Everyone was sleeping.  All of a sudden, a dav hli nyug (kinda like a vulture) let out its eery scream.

Back in the "old country", it is said that dav hli nyug's are either really a dav hli nyug, or it is a dav hli nyug turned into a monster, or just a monster.  So in other words, you never know what it actually is.  Its scream is so eery to people who hear it because it is said that whenever you hear it, it means somebody in your village died or is going to die.

Anyway, at first, they heard its scream from far away.  Just a few seconds later, its scream was closer.  Then just a few more seconds, its scream was closer.  It was as if it teleported closer and closer.  Finally, the scream came from the tree just outside the rear of the house (on one of the slopes). 

One of the older kids (older than my friend) went outside with the SKS and started shooting at the tree, which was about 50 feet away.  At that same moment, they could see tracers flying from the other family's house too.  The husband had come out with his rifle and started shooting too.  At that point, the screams of the dav hli nyug then switched to a further tree.  They started shooting at that other tree.  Then it just stopped.  After shooting for a few more seconds, they stopped and the screeches of it stopped too.

So? Did they find the vulture?   :o ;D

sweet_luvin

« Reply #1205 on: December 30, 2009, 02:38:42 PM »
So? How did she pass?   ??? :o

Did died due to sickness around her teenage age? I musta been a baby or real young when she passed away cuz when I had those dreams was when I was only 4 or 5. U know how u can only remember up to a certain age... But I can't tell why she was after me..

juxwendy

« Reply #1206 on: December 30, 2009, 02:40:08 PM »
Did died due to sickness around her teenage age? I musta been a baby or real young when she passed away cuz when I had those dreams was when I was only 4 or 5. U know how u can only remember up to a certain age... But I can't tell why she was after me..

I was gonna ask the same thing, but sometimes it's best to not say. You never know.

sweet_luvin

« Reply #1207 on: December 30, 2009, 02:49:23 PM »
I was gonna ask the same thing, but sometimes it's best to not say. You never know.

I'm no longer my family's "dab qhuas" so that's why no more dreams bout her.

LADY-K-TUSHLUB

« Reply #1208 on: December 30, 2009, 02:50:21 PM »
So? Did they find the vulture?   :o ;D
No.  It just stopped screeching and disappeared.  They never did hit anything.

sweet_luvin

« Reply #1209 on: December 30, 2009, 02:51:12 PM »
ADoseOfMee, I don't know why I never told them. maybe I was afraid they'll think I lied about it. I guess I was one of those kids in those movies that sees ghost but don't tell the parents. ;D

I'm just glad it's all in the past.

Hil

« Reply #1210 on: December 30, 2009, 02:54:23 PM »
I need to stop reading these stories.  These past few nights I've been unable to sleep the entire night through!  ;D

LADY-K-TUSHLUB

« Reply #1211 on: December 30, 2009, 02:54:34 PM »
Thanks.  That's the thing ... the more I read of others' stories, it reminds me of my own stories, and then the more I tell of my own, it reminds me of other stories that I know too.  I guess what I'm saying is, I'm glad the inspiration is there for others to tell their stories too.  I'm sure everybody has their own stories to tell.  It's just so fascinating that we live among spirits, yet half of the world's population refuse to believe they exist.

sweet_luvin

« Reply #1212 on: December 30, 2009, 02:56:15 PM »
Thanks.  That's the thing ... the more I read of others' stories, it reminds me of my own stories, and then the more I tell of my own, it reminds me of other stories that I know too.  I guess what I'm saying is, I'm glad the inspiration is there for others to tell their stories too.  I'm sure everybody has their own stories to tell.  It's just so fascinating that we live among spirits, yet half of the world's population refuse to believe they exist.

I'm a scary cat and sometimes I like to leave scary things in the past but damn u make me think of a lot now. ;D :D

Hil

« Reply #1213 on: December 30, 2009, 03:07:55 PM »
I made my husband stay in the bathroom with me while I took a shower because I was a chicken.  He yells at me everytime he sees me reading this thread.   ;D

Hehehe... I wish I could leave the lamp on at night but then the hub won't be able to sleep... so since it's my fault for reading this thread so much I take the hit in not getting the sleep.   ;D

The outdoorsy stories don't bother me as much as the ones that happen indoors...  they creep me out.   :o :D

LADY-K-TUSHLUB

« Reply #1214 on: December 30, 2009, 03:09:14 PM »
I'm a scary cat and sometimes I like to leave scary things in the past but damn u make me think of a lot now. ;D :D

Hehehe ... hey, I'm a scardy cat too.  Oh crap!  That just made me think of another one.   :o  But after I post this one, cause I already typed it out and ready to post.

Advertisements