Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong Ghost Stories  (Read 1590296 times)

meiyouren

Re: Hmong ghost stories
« Reply #2850 on: November 04, 2011, 01:20:49 AM »
My grandma said that back in Laos, her cousin's wife died a few weeks after giving birth.  Apparently her chicken diet literally killed her - she choked on one of the bone pieces and it got stuck in her throat.  They ua neeb later, several years later, and the shaman said that it was her deceased mom who came and took her.  The wife's family was what grandma said was "tsis huv" or not clean/pure.  Grandma said that it means that when someone in the family died they kept coming back.  

Well, the cousin had three older kids besides the newborn.  My uncle was still a baby, grandma said that he was beginning to sit by himself, so she had breast milk and because of that the cousin asked her to take care of the newborn.  The three older kids were split up and put into different families until the funeral was done.  My grandpa attended the funeral and he said that she was so rotten and the stench was so bad that they had to rush the funeral and bury her as soon as possible.  

During the day the newborn was with her family but my grandma took care of her at night because she needed to nurse the baby.  Well, as soon as the cousin's wife was buried, she came back.  Grandma said that the night the dead wife was buried, she came back.  Grandma said that she and grandpa were sleeping with the babies in between them when they heard shuffling footsteps outside the house, it was one of those traditional Hmong houses, tsev nqeeb.  She said that they could smell the stench of rotten flesh inside the house.  The dead wife would walk around the house, pause outside of where my grandparents were sleeping, walk around and pause again outside where they were sleeping.  It would continue until morning comes and then you can hear the footsteps fading away into the distant.  This occurred for several nights and throughout those nights they could not sleep at all.

Well, the husband gave the newborn to some distant relative who couldn't have children.  The relatives do some shaman stuff, spiritually making the baby theirs, renamed her and everything.  Grandma just says,"Txiv neeb muab tus me nyuam rub los ua kawv tug, muab pauv peb pauv xeem, pauv ntsej pauv muag".  

My grandma said that about a few months after the dead wife died the third child was found, drowned in the water.  About a year after that the oldest child fell sick suddenly and died that very night.  Grandma said that she was there when the second child died, a few months after the oldest child passed away.  She said that it was the oddest thing.  One moment the child was happily playing and the next minute she was gasping, as though someone was choking her, within a few minutes the child was dead on the ground.  

Like I said before, they finally did ask a shaman to come and look into it.  The shaman told them that it was the dead wife who had came back and took the children with her.  He said that if they would've ua neeb right after the wife passed away, the children would've been alive.  As it was, it was too little too late but they did change the husband's name.  The only surviving child was the newborn who was adopted by the distant relative.  She survived only because the dead wife couldn't find her, having her name changed and everything.  

Grandma said that the dead wife did try to find the last child but couldn't.  A few months after the second child's death the dead wife came to grandma in a dream.  She said,"Kuv pais lawm es tseg kuv tus me nyuam qaib es nrhiav tsis tau, nej puas paub nws nyob twg os?" (Translation: I went but left my little chick and I can't find it, do you know where it's at?).  Grandma said that in her dream she responded,"Kuv tsis paub es, koj tus me nyuam qaib nyob twg kuv tsis paub os". (Translation: I don't know, where your little chick is, at I don't know).  The dead wife then went to several relatives and asked if they've seen the newborn or know where she's at.  None of them gave her the answer.  This went on for years and years until everyone went their separate ways in the war and they lost contact with that family.

______________ ______________

Sorry if it's long.  My grandma used to tell us this story when me and my cousins were little and she usually was able to scare us into behaving after that.  Just thought I'll share as so many of you have shared and I've enjoyed your stories.

It's way better when my grandma tells it in Hmong though, the words and the rhythms are just scarier.  She usually ends by saying,"If you guys keep on misbehaving, she'll come and take you in place of her fourth child....".

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: November 04, 2011, 08:52:37 PM »
Lol, TX 4 the trans lingo.lol made it easier to understand the hmoob lingo..

kyrie_eleison

« Reply #2852 on: November 04, 2011, 09:31:49 PM »
I don't know if i posted tis one yet... Back to Mt. Airy, there was tis famiy tat didn't live too far from my place.. anyways one day there was a strom tat came by and sumhow a power line was knock loose, so these kids was play'n on the hill "tis is wat the other kids told the OGs" the one kid told them tat he was gonna slide down the hill and grab the power line... Well we all knows wat happen, you v.s power line..you lose.. so the kid slide down and grabbed the core, and you know he got fried. So after they did the thingy stuff, they moved out of tat place. Well ppl tat still lives there still say tat on a rain day/nite. They can see/hear the kid sitting under those pine tree cry'n or sees a shadow walking back and forth. Dude there are so much strange things tat happen to me in Mt. Airy. Sumtime you wonder if ur eye were stripe eyes or you really see'n ghost... I also hear strange stuff from Mc Donna Homes, but i never really heard it cleary..
But Mt. Airy is tat shyt. If yoy wanna go see ghost...

Ič just glad tat i no longer live in tat spooky project homes...

yeah...I think I heard a similar story in the Enquirer.  If what you say is true, then it's a good thing we keep kryptonite around.

Roc

« Reply #2853 on: November 06, 2011, 10:54:31 AM »
yeah...I think I heard a similar story in the Enquirer.  If what you say is true, then it's a good thing we keep kryptonite around.
;D ;D ;D

molayang

« Reply #2854 on: November 06, 2011, 01:36:10 PM »
Ok I got one. Well I dont know if I told this or not cause its been awhile. hehe

like a year ago i kept on getting paralyzed and hearing things, but i didnt really care i just ignored it. Since i kept ignoring it, it went away for like almost half a year then i was dating my husband for like not even long then we got married. Just a week later during july 4th of this year that night i was sleeping on the edge and my husband was sleeping by the wall, i can hear something crawling near me and it got up and started talking to me, i wasnt really sure what it was saying to me but i know i was talking back to it. this went on for a few minutes and it just vanished. I got kinda scared cause i had never seen things, i only heard. well then i woke my husband up to go turn on the lights, i told him what happened so i told him to sleep on the edge.

the next morning i was still thinking about what had happened so i called my mom and told her the story [she is a shaman by the way] i told her to check why it happened. and after that she told me that its because me and my husband went out to see the fireworks and when we was coming home that thing followed me home because that thing knows that i used to get paralyzed and it followed me and was trying to scare me because i used to just ignore it. after that my grandma tied a red white and black string on my feet it didnt happen anymore. =] sorry if im a bad typer. hehe

molayang

« Reply #2855 on: November 06, 2011, 01:43:07 PM »
So me and my husband is trying to make babies, but its impossible for us to have kids. So i told my mom to see why me and my husband cant have kids. she then did this shaman thing and she said that me and my husbands paper heaven of having babies are not at the same level [read it in hmong, it sounds better] and if we really want to have kids we have to ask a PRO shaman to fix that so we can have babies.

So now we are going to ask my husbands gmama to do a shaman thing at the end of November. wish us luck. =]

sahara

« Reply #2856 on: November 07, 2011, 01:52:26 PM »
So me and my husband is trying to make babies, but its impossible for us to have kids. So i told my mom to see why me and my husband cant have kids. she then did this shaman thing and she said that me and my husbands paper heaven of having babies are not at the same level [read it in hmong, it sounds better] and if we really want to have kids we have to ask a PRO shaman to fix that so we can have babies.

So now we are going to ask my husbands gmama to do a shaman thing at the end of November. wish us luck. =]

That's possible.  Hope they can you guys conceive and good luck.

bossymum

« Reply #2857 on: November 07, 2011, 03:36:59 PM »
It’s not a ghost story, it’s a dream. I heard that it’s bad when you dream of someone in hmong clothes or if you’re the one in hmong clothes.

I dreamt that me and my sis was getting ready to go to the hmong new year. We were dressed up in hmong clothes and my two brothers were waiting in their cars to take us to the new year. I got in my second oldest bro’s car and my sis got in my oldest bro’s car. Instead of driving us to the new year, both my bros dropped my sis and me off at a funeral home. My dress was kind of loose so I asked my sister to help me tie my sash on tighter. When she was tying on the sash, I looked around and no one else was in hmong clothes but me! The og’s were giving me the looks like “why is she in hmong clothes.” I wasn’t scared until I heard two hmong ladies saying, “ohh, tus tub Tommy no, lawv cia nws tus ntsuj plig ua si ib week xub ces nws ua rov qab los txhob ib tus neeg mus ua nws tus poj niam.” That was when I got scared because when I looked down on myself, I was the only one in hmong clothes and my hmong clothes were the traditional ones ( black shirt with blue cuffs, red sash and white dress).

I told my mom but she assured me that it’s nothing to worry about. She said in order to take away the bad luck I have to trade it…so she advised me to go buy a $1 scratcher so that I can trade my bad luck with it. IDK, that’s what she told me, I haven’t even done so.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:38:38 PM by bossymum »

wonders

« Reply #2858 on: November 08, 2011, 02:47:39 PM »
It’s not a ghost story, it’s a dream. I heard that it’s bad when you dream of someone in hmong clothes or if you’re the one in hmong clothes.

I dreamt that me and my sis was getting ready to go to the hmong new year. We were dressed up in hmong clothes and my two brothers were waiting in their cars to take us to the new year. I got in my second oldest bro’s car and my sis got in my oldest bro’s car. Instead of driving us to the new year, both my bros dropped my sis and me off at a funeral home. My dress was kind of loose so I asked my sister to help me tie my sash on tighter. When she was tying on the sash, I looked around and no one else was in hmong clothes but me! The og’s were giving me the looks like “why is she in hmong clothes.” I wasn’t scared until I heard two hmong ladies saying, “ohh, tus tub Tommy no, lawv cia nws tus ntsuj plig ua si ib week xub ces nws ua rov qab los txhob ib tus neeg mus ua nws tus poj niam.” That was when I got scared because when I looked down on myself, I was the only one in hmong clothes and my hmong clothes were the traditional ones ( black shirt with blue cuffs, red sash and white dress).

I told my mom but she assured me that it’s nothing to worry about. She said in order to take away the bad luck I have to trade it…so she advised me to go buy a $1 scratcher so that I can trade my bad luck with it. IDK, that’s what she told me, I haven’t even done so.

OMG my mom tells me to do the same thing when I have bad dreams of losing out, she says to buy a lottery ticket and if you lose, you already compensated for it!

Fresno559

« Reply #2859 on: November 08, 2011, 03:24:28 PM »
“ohh, tus tub Tommy no, lawv cia nws tus ntsuj plig ua si ib week xub ces nws ua rov qab los txhob ib tus neeg mus ua nws tus poj niam.”

I'm sorry, but english please. I don't know how to read hmong.  ;) &' Thanks.

meiyouren

« Reply #2860 on: November 08, 2011, 09:54:58 PM »
“ohh, tus tub Tommy no, lawv cia nws tus ntsuj plig ua si ib week xub ces nws ua rov qab los txhob ib tus neeg mus ua nws tus poj niam.”

Not the best translation but something along the line of:

"Oh, they only let Tommy's spirit play for a week and then he has to come back/return and take another person to go be his wife"

kyrie_eleison

« Reply #2861 on: November 09, 2011, 02:22:17 AM »

...or english either. 

Hahahahahahaha

bossymum

« Reply #2862 on: November 10, 2011, 12:37:53 AM »

you should have taken hmong class! it's easy..anywho.. translate: " Oh, this son Tommy here, they're going to let his spirit play for one week only then he will come back and take a person to go be his wife."

bossymum

« Reply #2863 on: November 10, 2011, 12:40:37 AM »
OMG my mom tells me to do the same thing when I have bad dreams of losing out, she says to buy a lottery ticket and if you lose, you already compensated for it!

lol yes that's exactly what my parents say. I went and bought one and i lost badly. LOL. well, back to Ghost Stories!!!!

PaZong

« Reply #2864 on: November 10, 2011, 02:47:20 PM »
I've been reading these ghost stories at work...it's been 2 days and I've spent about 8 hours reading...fina lly on page 20 but let me share with you all my experiences.

When I was really young, we used to live in this house in Wisconsin (my parents still own the house, they rent it out) and this house was CRAZY haunted. There were so many instances that happened there and I experienced a lot. One time I was at a funeral and there were two funerals going on, a Hmong and Meeka funueral. I was stupid as a kid and always curiuos so I somehow found my way into the other side of the funeral home where the Meeka funeral was going on. I remember going up to the casket and seeing this old white woman laying in the coffin. Stupid me, I reached over and played with the bracelet on her wrist. A few nights later, I woke up feeling bothered, like someone was pulling or picking at the right corner of my head. I turned my head towards the corner of the bed (I always slept by the wall because I was always so scared) and there was this hand from the edge of the corner (there's always a gap at the corner of the bed when you position it against a wall) feeling around my pillow as if it was looking for me. I got sooo scared I jumped up and was on all four on my bed and threw the blanker over me. I moved away quickly from my pillow and peeked to see if the hand was still there (I had a twin size bed and I was sleeping alone at the time). When I looked, I saw the hand extending further looking for me still. I started scooting back on the bed and I could hear "it" talking underneath my bed...at first it started saying "A B C D E F..." and then the words were a mumble that I couldn't understand but I was scared as heck. By the time I reached the end of the bed with the covers still over me, the hand was still extended out half way, still searching for me. I’ll never forget how the hand looked like; it was blueish..kinda like it was bruised but it was the color of the hand. Then all of a sudden, I heard my mom in the kitchen because she always got up early to go do ginseng work with my Aunties. I jumped out of bed and ran into the kitchen and told my mom what happened. She brushed it off and changed the subject telling me to go wake up my siblings and when I went back in to the room, the hand was gone. Needless to say, where the hand was touching me (right side back corner of my head), it started scabbing up as if I had hit my head somewhere. I went to school and my teachers though my parents hit me which is why my head looked like that. The scabbing/bleeding went away and to this day, I have a huge bald spot (thank gawd for my thick hair) at the corner of my head, same spot the hand was touching me at. I believe it was the old woman who came back to teach me a lesson for touching her while she was in her casket. As a kid you’re stupid and you don’t before you do something…so I learned my lesson from that. I’ve got more to share, but I have to get back to reading the other stories. I’ll come back share one again later.

Advertisements