Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong Ghost Stories  (Read 1590537 times)

ZongDauHang

Re: Hmong Ghost Stories
« Reply #3915 on: May 20, 2014, 04:39:14 AM »
second story.

when I was around 16. three of my very close buddies were killed in a serious car accident. They went out of town to visit some girls. On their way back, a drunk driver t-bone them at over 100 mph. two of my buddies died on impact, one was in critical condition where the firefighters had to cut the mangled up car to get him out.

I remember I just got my first car at the time, so I was washing it like everyday. lol while washing my car, one of my buddy drove over. I thought oh, hey whassup man? Thinking he was just cruising along and saw me and decided to stop. He got out of his car, walked over and grabbed my shoulder. I said what's wrong dude? and he said, So and So had passed away. My heart just dropped to the ground. I stopped washing my car. Sat down for a bit. We were both sad and mad at the same time. He said, he couldn't get a hold of me, so he stopped by to tell me. The rest of that day was just very very depressing.

So the surviving buddy was in critical condition and on life support. Several days after the accident, his family decided to take him off of life support.

The night before they made that decision. I was sleeping in my room unaware that the family of the friend in critical condition will be making the decision to take him off life support the following day.. I remember I was in a state of half awake and half asleep. I had a bunch of stuffs on my table. toys, electronic gadgets, like car stereos and speakers..lol it was just the thing at the time.. and I remember I felt two presence's in my room. they were fumbling around my stuffs on the table, and they said to me, they just come to say their last good bye and that they were just waiting for the buddy who's on life support, then they'll go together. Where? I didn't get a clear message but I'm assuming, crossing over.

and that was it. the next morning when I awoke. I looked at my table. and sure enough, all the stuffs were moved around. :-X okay, just joking. But this dream felt so real. their presence was strong. And the following day, learning that the friend in critical condition has been let off life support. The dream just made so much more sense then.

it definately gave me some comfort knowing they'll be okay.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

ZongDauHang

« Reply #3916 on: May 20, 2014, 05:16:04 AM »
okay, now if you're from the twin cities. Only read this in the daytime...I don't know how true this story is but perhaps some of you MN'er's can confirmed...ha ha

So a buddy tells me. A white guy, I guess he's like a remodel kind of person. He fixes old buildings and remodel them. So He decided that he would buy a vacant building, remodeled it and turn it into a funeral home specifically for Hmong people to use. (not sure which funeral home that would be, since Im not from MN)

Anyway long story short. When the white guy was just about to finish remodeling the building, he only had a few more things to work on. But he already had his first customers. And they had already brought over the decease and she was inside the funeral home. The white guy, a non believer in paranormal, thought, he's going to finish what he has left. When he went to the restroom, he saw an older Hmong lady in Hmong clothes washing her hands. He thought, okay maybe it's just the decease's family or relative since they been coming and going all day that day.

He didn't think much of it, until he walk into the main room and saw the portrait of the decease. He freak out so bad, that he sold the funeral home to Hmong people.

So MN folks? I'm sure at least some of you heard the same or similar story right?

:-X :-X

Snake

« Reply #3917 on: May 22, 2014, 07:13:43 PM »
There are quite a few of funeral homes in MN.  Maybe it could be the one on Dale street, but it's since been demolished.  That funeral home was definitely creepy.

Snake

« Reply #3918 on: May 22, 2014, 07:43:58 PM »
Speaking of creepy here's another story for your reading pleasure.

In the summer of 2010 I ended up in Hardingsburg, Kentucky for my grandmother's funeral.  The other time I had been up there was when I had been younger, and it was so that my grandpa could become a priest for my dad's current marriage.

Anyways I was in Kentucky for 5-6 days and spent every night at my cousin/aunt's (I am not really sure which she is) house.  Of the grandchildren who were "grownup" I was the youngest and ended up on babysitting duty for the majority of the time up there.  I stayed in a little trailer at the top of a hillock along with a bunch of my younger cousins.  During the day everyone would go over to my grandpa's and leave me there with the kids, and then come home for a few hours and put the kids to bed before heading back out to go and do God knows what.

I stayed up pretty late on the last night we were there.  The kids were in bed and I had the place to myself quite a while so I figured I would go and sit on the porch enjoying a cigarette.  As I walked out the door there was this God awful stench.  It was a metallic/rotten/shitty smell that is really hard to described, but I am sure if you had smell it you know what I saying.  It was just this gross ass stench that hit me like a ton of bricks when I got outside.  I started gagging and walked down the stairs of the trailer thinking I would get some fresh air off the porch.  As I got down I saw in the moonlight what looked like one of my younger cousins, Aiden. 

He was just kind of standing there with his back to me a good 50ft away from the trailer.  I yelled out to the little bastard that he needed to get back inside or his mom would skin him alive but he just kept standing there.  I kept hollering and walked up to him and as I got closer I noticed he seemed kind off.  He was standing but he had his knees bent at weird angles to each other and his head was cocked to the side a little.  I tapped him on the shoulder and he turned around.  Aiden had this crazy, maniac smile on his face and sweat was just pouring out of his little forhead.  He started shaking and it took me a moment to realize that he was laughing but no sound were coming out.  I tried to pick him up and carried him inside so I could look at him in some decent light and made sure he was okay, but he must of have stepped back as I tried to get him.

I snatched at him again and I caught him.  He just started screaming in this really freaky guttural voice I didn't think he could make.  It was just way too deep and gruff for a 5 year old to make.  While he was screaming he was also flailing his arms and legs around.  He ended up making contact with my groin so I dropped him and he ran off towards the trailer.  I sat there hunched over for a few moment getting some air before running up after him.

He was gone when I looked up so I ran inside hoping he would be waiting for me in the living room.  Well, he wasn't but after some looking around I found him passed out in the top bunk of his bunk bed.  I was confused as shit but I wasn't going to wake him up so I decided I would let his mom know about it when she got home.  When my aunt got home a few hours later I told her about it and she woke Aiden up to ask him about the incident ealier.  He had no clude whatsoever what we were talking about and we ended up sending him back to bed after giving him some juice.

My aunt thinks I must have had some crazy vivid dreams and made it up but the next morning while I was loading my stuff up into the truck, I smelt that same gross smell again and could of sworn I saw Aiden darting underneath the trailer.  Had he not walked out the front door a split second later along with the rest of the family I would have chased after him but I just told myself I was imagining things and didn't say anything to my family. 

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:51:25 PM by Snake »

Snake

« Reply #3919 on: May 22, 2014, 09:24:41 PM »
>Heading into woods on camping trip with college buddies
 >Me
 >Girlfriend (now ex) Sarah
 >Her friend Jill
 >Jill's roommate Rachel
 >Rachel was kinda weird; very petite, always wore an old army jacket that was too big on her, pixie haircut
 >She was orphaned at 14, refused to be adopted or fostered, basically struck off on her own at 16; did NOT like being touched and rumor was that someone tried to rape her when she was on her own; got free ride through college because "lol orphan"
 >My roommate Steve, the nerdy guy
 >My friend Fred; he was Japanese and his name wasn't actually Fred, we called him that because his freshman year he dressed like Fred from Scooby-Doo
 >Fred's roommate Bill
 >Bill had a reputation as a creeper, but he was a really nice guy, did charity stuff and would give you the shirt off his back. Before I really knew him well, I called him for help when I got stranded on the roadside; he drove three hours in the middle of the night to get me and he didn't even know my name at the time.
 >Bill was a survivalist and a nerd, so he was constantly bombarding us with random trivia and survival stuff. He once showed me some smoke grenades he'd rebuilt into chlorine gas grenades. Why? Because he could.
 >Bill, needless to say, had never been laid in his entire life.
 >We all head into the woods to stay at a cabin Steve's uncle had built
 >We get there and the cabin is... shit.
 >It's literally made of plywood with exposed insulation, there are no windows, and only three rooms. It DOES have a nice wood-burning stove though.
 >Set up sleeping bags on the old army cots in the two 'bedrooms', girls in one room, boys in the other
 >We start a fire in the wood stove to warm the place up and start talking about what we're going to do in the morning
 >Cook chili on top of stove
 >Fred and Bill start trading racist jokes aimed at one another; it's their thing. Bill is practically a white supremacist and Fred is so nationalist he thinks the Japanese Empire should have won WWII

>Naturally, Fred and Bill get along and that's why they became roommates
 >Girls are weirded out by their antics, except Rachel, who's ignoring us all and playing with a Zippo
 >Jill needs to pee, only place to do it is behind a bush
 >Girls go together for some reason and we can hear them giggling and talking while Jill squats behind the bush
 >Ignore them and laugh while Bill tells Fred his ancestors weren't nuked enough and Fred calls him a filthy gaijin roundeye
 >Girls suddenly come running back, complaining about a stench
 >What ste- oh, duck
 >It smells like road kill rotting in the sun and something metallic, like burnt copper or smoldering wire
 >Holy hell, did that come out of you?
 >Jill squawks in indignation
>We all head inside to get away from the stench
 >Bill and Fred finish their racist jokes aimed at each other and move on to mocking Jews and the Holocaust
 >Girls give them a look that says they will never get laid, ever
 >Suddenly, there's a loud screech outside the cabin
 >Sounds like a woman being murdered
 >Everyone but Bill jumps and looks at the door
 >Bill calmly announces, "it's a fox, chill"
 >Conversation and dinner resume
 >Everyone eventually heads to bed

>Spend the next day hiking and exploring
 >Find a pond, the girls (minus Rachel) want to swim in it
 >Steve points out that it's too cold to swim and the pond is stagnant runoff from the hills
 >Bill suggests plinking and I get out my .22 rifle and we shoot at our empty chili can
 >Everyone participates, except Rachel, who just sort of stands off to one side playing with her lighter
 >Bill suggests getting out his FAL and shooting with it, but the girls don't want to shoot a big gun; he's disappointed
 >I didn't even know he'd brought it, but this doesn't surprise me
 >Head back to the cabin to play Risk
 >Bill and Rachel end up wiping us all out and ending in a stalemate
 >Night falls, we build a fire in the stove again
 >Charades! Yes, we're THAT bored!
 >Steve is pantomiming when suddenly there's a loud shriek outside
 >"Was... was that another fox?"
 >Bill replies, "nope, that was a rabbit's death scream. That's the only time they make a sound, when they're dying."
 >Well, thanks for that creepy trivia, Bill.
 >Continue charades
 >Suddenly, horrid stench fills the cabin
 >Everyone complains and the girls retreat to their room to escape the smell
 >Thump against the door to the cabin, like a knock
 >wut
 Steve cautiously opens the door to investigate
 >Blood splattered on the door
 >There's a dead, disemboweled, skinless rabbit lying on the ground right outside the door
 >Did... did a fox throw a dead rabbit at our door?
 >Creeped out, decide not to tell the girls
 >Nothing else happens, stench fades away and we all go to bed

>Next day goes much the same as the first, hiking, exploring
 >Flirting with Sarah (my gf) constantly
 >Fred keeps hitting on Jill, who is doing her best to make it obvious she's ignoring his racist Asian ass
 >Bill keeps pointing out edible plants and other survival stuff to the group; I would suspect he was trying to impress the girls, but he ALWAYS did that kind of thing
 >"Did you know most praying mantises are actually agnostic?"
 >lolwut
 >Start a game of freeze tag in the woods
 >Girls cheat and combine tag with hide-and-seek
 >Everyone gets into it
 >Eventually, everyone has been discovered and tagged except Bill
 >Where the duck is he?
 >Give up and loudly shout for him to come out
 >Drops out of the tree we were all standing next to, grinning
 >You sneaky motherducker
 >Head back to cabin
 >Everyone else plays Risk while I make out with Sarah in the back
 >Suddenly, Steve runs in and I yank my hand out of her bra
 >"Dude, what the hell?"
 >"What?"
 >"How did you do that?"
 >"Do what?! Dude, could we get some privacy here?"
 >"No, seriously, how did you do that?"
 >"Do what?!"
 >"You were outside yelling for Bill to come out."
 >"When?"
 >"Just now!"
 >Clearly I've been in here the whole time and the only way in or out of the cabin is the front door
 >Dismiss it as a failed prank Steve was trying to pull on me
 >Back to sexy time
 >Yank my hand out of her bra a second time when Fred comes in and yells for us to come here quick
 >I'm pissed now

>"What the hell, guys?"
 >"Shh! Listen!"
 >I don't hear anything
 >"What are y-"
 >Suddenly I hear a voice out in the woods
 >"Ok, Bill, game's over! Come on out!"
 >It's the exact phrase I shouted earlier
 >Who the hell is in the woods repeating what I said?
 >Fred looks at me and says, "Dude, it sounds just like you!"
 >Whoever it is shouts again and it really does sound just like me
 >"Who the hell is out there?"
 >Steve cracks the door open to peek outside, doesn't see anything
 >"Who's out there?"
 >Silence. Then...
 >"Ok Bill, game's over! Come on out!"
 >Bill shrugs and steps outside
 >"I'm here! What do you want?"
 >Silence. Maybe whoever it is hadn't thought this far ahead.
 >Bill stands there for a minute, then comes back inside
 >"Dude, are you nuts? We don't know who could be out there!"
 >In typical Bill fashion, zero ducks were given
 >Instead, he calmly gets out his FAL, which is the biggest rifle I've ever seen, and slaps a 30 round clip into it and chambers a round
 >Then he turns on the flashlight clipped on the barrel and walks outside
 >"If I'm not back in ten minutes, leave without me."
 >Dude, WTF

>We wait, Steve standing watch at the door
 >We can see Bill's flashlight bobbing around in the trees; we watch as he pauses, scans all around him, then continues deeper into the woods
 >After a while, we can't see his light through the trees anymore
 >Sarah and Jill are getting scared and retreat to their room; Rachel hangs out with us three guys as we wait for Bill to return
 >Twenty minutes pass and no sign of Bill
 >"If this is a joke, it's not funny."
 >Fred swears it's not a joke, or if it is then Bill didn't tell him about it
 >I get my .22 rifle and load it, Fred retrieves a khukri knife from Bill's camping gear
 >Steve and Rachel are still standing at the front door
 >Suddenly, Steve calls out "Bill?"
 >"I'm here!"
 >Fred and I come running back to the door and look outside; we can dimly see the silhouette of someone standing just inside the tree line
 >"Bill? What took you so long?"
 >"I'm here!"
 >Start getting a creepy vibe
 >"Bill? What are you doing?"
 >"What do you want?"
 >The hell? "We want you to come back inside the cabin, dumbass!"
 >Then we see a dim light bobbing around in the trees, in the direction Bill went
 >Wait-
 >I'm suddenly deafened and partially blinded by the muzzle flash of a gunshot going off next to my head
 >Rachel has produced a snubnose revolver from somewhere within her jacket and fired a shot up into the air
 >"We have guns! Whoever you are, leave us the hell alone!"
 >We can't see the figure out in the darkness anymore, but the light is bobbing faster as the owner runs toward the cabin
 >Bill bursts out of the tree line with his rifle
 >"Why are you still here? I told you to leave if I took more than ten minutes! I've been half an hour! Who's shooting?"

>"Dude, where the hell were you?!"
 >"Something was following me down the trail, so I fish hooked to ambush it, but it went back the way I came. I waited a little longer in case it was trying the same thing, then I took my time coming back so I could hear it if it followed me again."
 >Then he gives us all a dirty look and says, "I told you to leave my ass if I was gone more than ten minutes. It's like you people have never seen these movies before."
 >Jill and Sarah are freaked out over the person imitating us, and then the gunshot
 >Rachel just calmly swaps out the spent round in her revolver for a fresh one
 >I'm not sure she's even old enough to legally own a handgun
 >Well, now we know how she handled herself living on the streets as a homeless person
 >Bill gathers us in the front room and insists on a rational discussion of what's happened
 >We eventually decide it's someone pranking us and they're just really good at imitating voices. And repeat the same phrases we shouted earlier. And is in the middle of ducking nowhere screwing with some college students
 >Right
 >We all eventually go to sleep, but I noticed Bill kept his rifle within arm's reach
 >The next morning there was a dead something or other with its skin missing and its guts splattered all over the front of the cabin; Bill thought it was either a possum or raccoon

>The girls are thoroughly creeped out now and insist on leaving
 >Sarah is convinced it's some serial killer and the dead animals are a warning or some sick gift
 >Bill isn't entirely convinced the dead animals weren't left there by a bobcat or something, but is also convinced there's a person out in the woods ducking with us
 >Steve and Fred don't know WTF is going on, but they don't think it's funny
 >We all eventually decide we're going to find whoever is messing with us and get them back
 >The girls are too scared to leave the cabin
 >Bill recruits Fred as his assistant and they spend the day building booby traps, digging pits, and rigging "perimeter alarms" from empty cans full of pebbles
 >Steve retrieves a hatchet from the wood pile and nominates himself captain of the Creepy Cabin Self-Defense Squad, since it's his uncle's place
 >Everyone basically ignores him and Bill becomes de facto leader since he seems like he knows what he's doing
 >Finally, he and Fred finish whatever the hell they were doing out in the woods and we all sit around the table playing cards
 >None of us really know how to play poker, except Jill, who wipes us out
 >Fred suggests strip poker, which the girls immediately veto
 >Then we wait
 >And wait
 >And wait some more
 >At this point, I don't care how creepy the motherducker is, whoever is messing with us BETTER show up or I'm going to be pissed
 >I regret that sentiment wholeheartedly

>Just before sunset, Bill instructs Sarah and Jill to shelter in their back room and has me and Rachel guard the door with our guns. Fred and Steve, being armed with a hatchet and khukri, are to guard the girls in the back while we defend the front door.
 >"What are you going to be doing?"
 >"I'll be up in a tree waiting to ambush whoever it is; they'll be expecting us all to be holed up in the cabin."
 >Explain why this is a terrible idea
 >Bill ignores me and tells us not to shoot unless we know 100% for sure it isn't him
 >He disappears into the trees
 >Crazy motherducker
 >Jill is insisting we all just go home (sensible) and keeps asking how we know Bill isn't just an idiot who's making shit up to look good
>Fred insists he knows what he's doing
 >We hear a rattle from one of our perimeter alarms
 >I crack the door open; I can't see anything outside
 >"Who's out there?"
 >"Come on out!"
 >It's my voice again.
 >"Who the hell are you? Come out where I can see you!"
 >"I'm here!"
 >Bill's phrase, but my voice still. I'm seriously creeped out now.
 >"Come out where I can see you!"
 >"I'm here! Come on out!"
 >Against my better judgement, I step outside the door and shine my flashlight at the trees
 >There's someone standing in the tree line with their back toward us
 >They're dressed the same as Bill, but they look filthy and the its hair is longer
 >"Who the hell are you?!"
 >No response
 >"Turn around so I can see you!"
 >Still nothing, it just stood there
 >"I have a gun! I'll shoot if you don't turn around!"
 >It didn't say anything, but whoever or whatever it was started convulsing, like it was laughing hysterically, but there was no sound
 >"You better leave us alone! This is our property! You better get out of here!"
 >It was still standing there with its back to us, but now it was jittering like... it's hard to describe, but it's like it was under a strobe light or something
 >I take a step forward, keeping the flashlight and my .22 aimed at it
 >"Do you hear me?"

>I was debating what to do next and wondering where the hell Bill was, when I smelled that stench again
 >It was so sudden and so foul, it was like being hit in the face with a brick
 >I gagged at the stink of a dead animal decomposing in raw sewage and mold and my eyes watered
 >I looked back at the cabin at the others and Rachel and Steve both shouted in shock
 >I spun around and the whatever-it-was was suddenly much closer, halfway between the tree line and cabin, with its back still toward us
 >I scrambled backwards toward the cabin
 >I will never forget what happened next
 >Fred holds the khukri over his head in a two-handed grip and, no shit, screams "BANZAI!"
 >Charges out of the cabin toward the creepy strobe light person
 >No wonder he gets along so well with Bill; they're BOTH crazy motherduckers
 >Fred runs past me, then immediately trips over a piece of stray firewood and faceplants into the dirt, dropping his bigass knife
 >The person is convulsing like something is crawling around under its skin and clothes, Rachel is shouting for us to get back inside the cabin and waving her revolver around, and suddenly the night is shattered by a deafening BOOM!
 >The creeper freezes motionless
 >BOOM! BOOM!
 >Even louder than the gunshots is an ear-splitting shriek
 >If a banshee and a cougar were slowly lowered into a wood chipper, it wouldn't sound half as loud or disturbing as whatever the hell this scream was
 >The creepy person vanishes like they were never there
 >Bill sprints into view, switches on the flashlight on his rifle, and scans the treeline
 >"I told you idiots to stay in the cabin!"
 >After some shouting back and forth, Bill and Fred investigate outside while the rest of us go back in the cabin
 >They find some blood where the thing had been standing... or at least they think it's blood, because it's pitch black
 >They can't find any footprints anywhere, and other than the alarm that was shaken when it first appeared, none of the booby traps were tripped

>They come back inside the cabin and the rest of us have decided "duck this, we're getting the hell out of Dodge"
 >Bill calmly loads three rounds into his magazine to replace the ones he shot and asks if we really want to load our stuff into the van in the dark with that thing out there
 >Good point
 >We all pack our shit anyway so we can leave at first light
 >Everyone is too keyed up to sleep and sits up
 >The stench returns, that dead animal and burning copper smell
 >"What the hell is that smell? Do you think it's the thing?"
 >"Probably, but we didn't smell it earlier when it was-"
 >THUD
 >Something just smacked into the wall of the cabin
 >Dead silence as we all grasp weapons, makeshift or otherwise, and nervously listen
 >After a long moment, something thuds against the wall again
 >We don't move a muscle
 >Something began scratching at the door, like slowly dragging your nails down the length of the door, then starting again after reaching the bottom
 >"Who's there?"
 >"I'm here! Come on out!"
 >It was Steve's voice this time, and he paled visibly when he heard it
 >"duck you! Who are you? What do you want?"
 >"Game's over! Come on out!"
 >That's when Rachel fired a shot through the door
 >Despite the ringing in my ears, I could hear what sounded like the world's nastiest cat fight as something screeched, hissed, spat, and slammed into the door repeatedly
 >She fired a second shot and the noise stopped
 >After a long, uncomfortable silence, we heard the screeching again, but far off in the woods
 >Bill opened the door and told everyone "get your shit in the van, we're leaving"

>As we started throwing shit into the van, I noticed Bill had disappeared around the side of the cabin that the thumps on the wall had come from
 >I tossed the last of my stuff in the van, then followed
>We found out what had thumped against the wall
 >There were two splotches of blood on the side of the cabin, and underneath each was half of a full-grown deer
 >Oh duck
 >It RIPPED A DEER IN HALF AND THREW THE HALVES AT THE CABIN
 >Bill tells me not to say anything about it because it'll scare the girls
 >I'm pretty sure they're already scared, dude
 >We rejoin the others as they make one last trip inside the cabin for the last of our stuff
 >Bill grabs me by the shoulder
 >"Steve, go start the van. Girls, go wait in the van. We'll get everything else."
 >The girls made no argument and got in the van with Steve, leaving Bill, Fred, and me in the cabin.
 >"That's almost everything. Fred, you go check the back and make sure we have everything."
 >Then Bill physically pulled me and Fred out of the cabin while we gave him a WTF look.
 >And then I saw someone else in the back of the cabin, wearing filthy clothes like Bill's, packing things up.
 >Oh duck, it was in the cabin with us.
 >Bill quietly pulled us out of the cabin, and I pointed my rifle at it.
 >I heard a pop like a firecracker going off and something smacked me in the leg; I looked down at my feet and saw...
 >Is that a ducking grenade spoon?
 >I looked up just in time to see Bill pull the pin from a second grenade, one of those big smoke grenade types, release the spoon with a pop, and throw it into the cabin.
 >Then he shut the door and locked the handle and the deadbolt with Steve's keys and stepped back
 >He looked at me and calmly said, "Thermite. Any second now."
 >Then he pointed his rifle at the cabin and waited
 >Steve got out of the van and joined us, asking WTF we were doing
 >Suddenly, we heard that ungodly screeching again, this time from inside the cabin

>It was like someone was electrocuting a burlap sack full of angry lynxes who all had their balls in a vice
 >Bill calmly explains to Steve that he had just set the cabin on fire with ducking homemade thermite grenades he'd brought along on a camping trip for reasons that made sense only to Bill
 >"What the duck, man?! You set fire to my uncle's cabin?!"
 >"Hey, my Risk set is still in there too." As if that made it even, somehow.
 >The screeching gets even louder and something slams into the door, HARD.
 >Bill calmly dumps ten or fifteen rounds of .308 into the door and wall of the cabin
 >The inhuman shrieks get even louder; smoke starts pouring from under the door and we can see an orange glow through the bullet holes
 >"Uh... can we leave now?"
 >"Nah," Bill casually responds. "Need to make sure we don't burn the forest down too."
 >"Dude, duck the forest! We can burn the whole state to the ground it kills that thing and anything else like it!"
 >"Also, I kinda want to shoot it if it breaks out of the cabin so it doesn't seek revenge. I don't want this shitty horror movie to have a sequel."
 >Realize this makes sense, and not just because Bill's acting as if we're in a horror movie
 >Inhuman shrieks and something slamming repeatedly against the walls of the cabin continue for a good twenty minutes before falling silent
 >The girls get out of the van and join us as we watch the cabin burn to the ground
 >The heat from the fire is barely tolerable, and we're standing thirty feet away
 >The cabin finally collapses and everyone but Bill gets in the van; he stands there watching it burn, holding his rifle like he still expects some monster to come charging out of the roaring inferno
 >I know for a fact he's going to be bragging to the entire campus about how he singlehandedly slew a monster when we get back

>Finally, the cabin has burnt to the point that it's just a crackling, smoldering pile of charcoal and ashes, not even a dim orange glow visible in the darkness
 >Bill stretches his limbs, then gets in the van and tells Steve to drive into the town so we can get gas and breakfast
 >We arrive in a town of maybe 400 people an hour later, and stop at a combination gas station/diner
 >As we walk in, Bill jokingly comments that if we were really in a horror movie, he'd have at least earned a blowjob from the heroine
 >Rachel grabs him by the head and pulls him into the back of the diner/gas station
 >We don't see them again until after we've ordered breakfast and our food has arrived
 >I only have Bill's word for this, but he claims she pulled him into the bathroom and blew him on the spot
 >They've been going out ever since, for almost two years now
 >Steve told his uncle that the cabin burned down because the chimney for the wood stove got clogged or something and caught fire
 >His uncle doesn't care since it was a shitty cabin he built in a single weekend and is just glad we're all ok and didn't burn the woods down
 >We've never gone back there, but Steve's uncle has gone camping there several times since, mostly during hunting season, and hasn't seen or heard anything odd
 >Other than the skeletal remains of a deer torn in half next to what's left of the cabin, that is
 >Bill is the only one of us crazy enough to go camping

Snake

« Reply #3920 on: May 22, 2014, 10:43:36 PM »
Last one for tonight....a very long one but good.

It was summer, 2001. I can't remember exactly, but it was probably June, maybe July. I wasn't taking any summer classes that year, and neither was my best friend “John,” who had been my best buddy since middle school. We went to a southern college that's known for football and partying, but there's a few of those, and that's as specific as I'll get.
John and I decided that it'd be fun to go camping. The weather that weekend was gonna be relatively cool for summer, so I prodded my not-very-outdoorsy girlfriend “Lauren” into coming along, and John got his girlfriend “Lisa” on board too.
Now Lauren and I had been going out for almost two years, so we were pretty close. John had only been dating Lisa for a month at most, and Lauren and I didn't know her very well. It seemed like they were getting serious, so we figured it'd be a good chance to get more closely acquainted.
Anyway, John's family is pretty country. They all fish and hunt and camp all the time. They also owned a boat, just a little fiberglass skiff with a center console. We decided that it'd be pretty cool to take the boat out offshore a bit (into saltwater, mind you) because there were lots of small islands nearby that we could have to ourselves for the weekend.
The island we decided on is known by two names. The first is what you'll generally see on charts or maps, and that's “Osprey Island.” There's probably a hundred “Osprey Islands” out there, so I'm not too worried about anybody figuring out which one I'm talking about. That being said, all the locals called it “Crab Key.” Once it was part of a small archipelago, but all of the other islands around it had washed away in a hurricane back in the 80's.

So Crab Key was a cool little island. Sand, obviously, with lots of pine trees and low scrub. It wasn't very big, but it was big enough that from one end, you certainly couldn't see through the woods to the other side. It was probably two miles long at the most, and only a few thousand feet wide.
We loaded up the boat with our tents, sleeping bags, a couple of coolers (my older brother bought us some beer, which was pretty exciting at the time,) and other necessities and set out on Friday afternoon. Crab Key wasn't far offshore, so we got there with plenty of daylight left.
We just ran the skiff up on the sand. It was high-tide, and since the boat was pretty light ,we could push it out into the surf easily. John tossed the anchor out on to the beach anyway, just to be safe. John and I had been to the island a few times before, always during the day, to fish from shore or just explore a bit, so we knew to pull the boat up near a trail that led into the palmettos. We grabbed the gear and started hiking on in. Like I said, the island wasn't very thick, so it was only about a third of a mile or so from where we beached to the spot we were planning on setting up camp.
Now, in hindsight, I really regret the spot we decided to post up, but at the time, we didn't think twice about it. You see, the island had been inhabited a looong time ago, by Indians. I can't tell you the name of the tribe, that's not what I studied in school, but there were actually quite a lot of Indian tribes throughout the southeastern US in the past, and a lot of them lived on the coast. One of the common archaeological features they left behind are called Oyster mounds.
Basically, it's exactly what it sounds like. They ate a lot of oysters, and oysters have shells. When Indians lived in one place for a long time, they tended to make huge piles of the old oyster shells. So that's what people had found there in the middle of Crab Key.

This mound wasn't huge. As an uneducated person, I'd suspect that the tribe that lived on the island probably didn't live there full-time. Like I said, it wasn't far offshore, so it might've been a seasonal settlement. Anyway, the mound was about seven feet high and big enough that the four of us, holding hands, only got maybe a quarter of the way around the perimeter. It was in the center of a clearing, and it seemed like a cool place to camp, so that's where we set up.
Now like I said, I don't know much about the Indians that made the mound. According to the older kids I knew, like our elder siblings, back in the “old days,” when they were young, you could still sometimes find neat little artifacts out on Crab Key, like arrow heads or pottery shards, but apparently so many generations of teens had gone out to the island to drink or screw that all the cool stuff had been found. I know we never saw any relics other than the shells.
We basically set up camp right next to the mound. John and I each had our own little dome tent, so it was essentially just two tents around a fire-pit we dug and the coolers. Pretty bare-bones. It was very early summer dusk, maybe eight o'clock, when we finished up our preparations. We had a big pile of fallen pine boughs and a fire going, we had the tents up, and John and Lisa had already popped a couple of Bud Lites. We were just about to settle in for a night of underage drinking when Lauren realized she had left her inhaler in the boat.
Understand that Lauren had pretty bad asthma. It wasn't bad pollen season, at least, but she still didn't like to duck around, especially on an island, a good three hours away from an emergency room or nebulizer, so we had to make sure her rescue inhaler was handy. Being the man, I told her I'd go get it, but she insisted she wanted to tag along. I was fine with that, as I figured it'd give us some alone time, so we set off down the trail to shore.

It took less than ten minutes to stroll from the campsite back to shore. We grabbed her inhaler from the console in the boat, along with her cellphone (none of us had a signal, but whatever.) I tried to put some moves down and get something going, but I didn't get any further than second base before she suddenly said she was feeling creeped out and wanted to head back to camp. I sighed and accepted it – like I said, she was not an outdoorsy kind of girl, it was edging toward dark, and it was utterly quiet out there except for a few bug chirps and the lapping of the waves.
We get about halfway back, right at the point where we can't see the shore or camp, and it's pretty dim under the trees. Lauren was wearing a t-shirt over a bikini, so to be honest, I was just watching her butt the entire walk back. All of a sudden she stops and turns around, her face all scrunched up. Just as she starts to open her mouth, the smell hits me too.
Now, I've read all the goat-man stuff, and it's always described as a weird coppery smell. This wasn't anything like that. A lot of times it's hard to describe a weird smell, but this one was pretty clear-cut. BO and death. It was as if that fat kid we all knew in school, who didn't shower or understand what deodorant was, had found a dead raccoon on the side of the road and rolled around in it. Lauren is moaning “What the duck IS that?” and I'm trying to take shallow breaths and not look like a pussy for gagging in front of her.
I look around and say “It must be something dead in the bushes.”
“God, I'm gonna barf. Why didn't we smell this when we came by the last couple times?” Lauren said. I shrugged and pulled my shirt collar up over my nose. She did the same.

Want to look for it?” I said. “It might be a deer or something, they swim out to the islands sometimes.” Lauren shook her head violently.
 “duck that, lets just get out of here,” she said. She started jogging away toward camp and I began to follow. Suddenly there was a violent rustling in the palmetto and scrub, not far from the trail. We both froze, staring toward the shaking plants. Whatever it was, it was quick and retreating, and the sound faded into the brush. “What the hell was that?” Lauren said.
 “Probably something eating whatever we're smelling. A opossum or something,” I said. We stood there for a few seconds, still trying to beat back the heebie-jeebies, and then without saying anything else, we resumed our jog back to camp.
After a few minutes, we rounded a bend in the trail and entered the clearing. John, who was standing by the campfire with his arms akimbo, whirled as we came up on him. We were both panting from the trot we'd maintained all the way back.
 “Where the duck were you guys?” He said. We were taken aback by how agitated he seemed.
 “What's your problem?” Lauren said. John looked at both of us for a second, probably wondering why we were both sweaty and assuming we had been doing something we hadn't, and then he turned back in the direction he had been facing a moment ago.
 “I don't know where Lisa went. She said she needed to pee right after you guys left.” He was taking half steps in a circle, looking out into the now-dark woods. “It's probably been a half hour by now. Didn't you guys hear me hollering?”
 I hadn't even thought about it until just now, writing this, but we hadn't. We hadn't heard anybody shouting anything at the time, and the island is small enough that you could hear somebody really shouting from anywhere. So that's something weird I hadn't even realized for the past twelve years.

Anyway, I asked John why he hadn't gone and looked for her, and he just shrugged. By now, I'd gotten over the creeps of the event back on the trail, so I suggested that Lauren stay in camp, and I'd go with John to find Lisa. It was only a little spit of sand, we could “Amish Search” the whole place by midnight, if we had to.
Luckily, we didn't have to. We'd barely left camp in the direction that Lisa had left in when we spotted her, her white t-shirt easily visible even in the twilight. She was standing in a thicket of palmetto, which was pretty dumb, considering how much a diamondback rattler might appreciate such a hiding place. She was facing away from us, toward the opposite shore. John called out to her, but she didn't respond. I called out to her, and nothing. We walked toward her, calling at her with rising apprehension, until we were on the edge of the thick shrubs. She was just standing there, back to us, staring into the dark.
John and I looked at each other, thoroughly freaked out, and then he waded into the palmetto.
He said her name once more, softly, just before slowly reaching his arm toward her. The moment his hand touched her shoulder, she jolted, and spun toward him, breathing hard. John jumped backwards.
 “John?” She shouted at him, seeming to be genuinely surprised. “What the duck, you scared the crap out of me!”
“What?” John said. “We've been calling your name for thirty minutes and you're standing here like a freak, and WE scared YOU?” She creased her eyebrows, confused, and shook her head.
 “I did not, I just came out here to pee--” She looked down. It was only barely noticeable in the dark, but there was an obvious wet stain in her khaki short shorts. “I – I...” she stuttered, clapping her hands over her mouth. She'd pissed herself.

We all stood stunned for a few seconds, and then John snapped to sense and walked back to her, taking her into a hug.
“Hey,” he said, “I don't know what the heck happened, but it's not big deal. Okay?” Lisa was speechless. So was I. It was the weirdest thing I'd even seen. I was thinking to myself about seizures or something. Meanwhile, Lisa starts crying softly into John's shoulder, and he turns to look at me with this “Go back to camp while I take care of this” look. So I did just that.
 I only had a minute or two to explain to Lauren what had happened before they reappeared at the edge of light from the camp fire. Lisa was looking at her feet, her face still deeply red, but John, without a word, went into their tent and came back out a moment later with some fresh clothes for her. She went to the other side of the oyster mound, and when she came back, she was wearing some jean shorts and a yellow tank top. I guess she'd thrown everything else she was wearing out into the woods, because she wasn't carrying any of her old clothes. The three of us had taken seats around the campfire, still silent, and similarly silent, she joined us.
It took some time, but after we'd all had a few beers, things lightened back up. The mood turned fun, we all got a buzz, and the rest of the night was what we had been hoping for. Jokes, making out, just a lot of bullshitting. We turned in sometime in the early morning, I got laid, and all was at peace with the world.
Until, of course, the sun came up.

I was awoken most unpleasantly by John shouting my name. I jerked upright from the deep, black sleep of the drunk and hungover, gasping for breath the way a drowning man does when pulled above water. John had unzipped our tent and was yelling at me from the circular entry. Lauren was pressed against me in the sleeping bag, nude, and moaning for John to “shut the duck up.” I couldn't even get a word out through my dry mouth, so I waved him off while nodding, trying to signal that I was getting up.
John backed off, finally quiet, leaving me to extricate myself from the arms of my naked girlfriend and the nice, comfy sleeping bag. I pulled on some shorts and a shirt, and groggily climbed out of the tent in the humid morning air.
John was frantically pacing around the blackened remains of our campfire. He whirled toward me as soon as I was out of the tent.
 “Dude,” he said frantically, “Lisa is ducking gone.”
Nothing was registering with me yet. I yawned and stretched. “What?”
 “Lisa is ducking gone. When I woke up, she wasn't there. I've been ducking shouting. How the hell did you not wake up?”
I shrugged, still not fully invested in the conversation. “I don't know... what?” It was starting to crystallize in my head. Lisa was gone. “Lisa is gone?” I said.
 “YES!”
I said something intelligent like “What the duck is her problem?” John had already turned around and started into the brush.
“Come on man, we've got to find her.”
I hesitated for a second, and then turned to poke my head back in to the tent. I doubt Lauren even heard me, but I told her I was going to help John find Lisa. She murmured something in her sleep.

It took me a minute to catch up with John, who was moving at a pretty frantic pace through the underbrush, calling for Lisa all the while. I didn't bother trying to talk when I caught up, just followed along, looking around us. The island is pretty wide open, nothing but straight-trunked pine trees and low scrub, so you can see a pretty long way. It isn't some twisted, gnarled old-growth forest, and it isn't claustrophobic at all.
“Liiiiiiiiiiissaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!” John was shouting. It seemed pretty silly, when I think about it. Like I said, the island is so small that a person standing at one end could probably hear a loud cry from the other end without a problem. How did this girl keep getting lost? John was shouting, and I was worried that she'd had another seizure or something and was busy choking on her own tongue in a bush somewhere.
This went on for an hour, at least. We reach one shore, followed it to one tip of the island, then cut back into the woods and followed an over-grown trail all the way to the far tip.
 It was on that far end of the island that we made our unpleasant discovery. At the fringe of the underbrush, right where the bush meets the sand of the beach, we found a big swath of flattened foliage, as if something big had rolled around there to make a bed. But all of the green brush was covered in a fan-spray of tacky, reddish brown blood.
There was no doubt about what it was. John and I had both hunted, him a lot more than I. But we'd gutted deer and hog. There was no doubt that something BIG had been completely mutilated here. But there was nothing but the tacky spray of blood. No fur, no bones, no half-eaten carcass.

We were completely mute. We were both thinking the same thing, but neither could think of anything to say. I'm sure his brain was running the same routine as mine – rationalize! It was a deer. There's a bobcat or maybe a panther out here? Sure, there's an adult panther on this tiny island who eats a deer and doesn't leave a scrap of bone okay okay okay okay. The air smelled awful. It was already hot, much hotter than the weather report had predicted, and the smell was exactly like what you'd expect from a goat-man story. But there was no mystical reason for it. No question. It was the coppery twang of blood. John gulped down a gag from next to me.
So we left. There was no reason to stay. We hiked through the woods, past the gore-covered matted clearing, back toward the camp. John grew more and more frantic, and I grew more and more annoyed. I'm not going to say I wasn't worried, I was. I really was worried about Lisa, but I barely knew her, and in the past twelve hours she had mysteriously disappeared twice and was pissing up what was supposed to be a fun weekend, and to top it off, was royally freaking me the duck out.
So we get back to camp, and guess what we see? I'm sure you already have. Lisa and Lauren are sitting next to the campfire, which is burning again, cooking up some bacon from the cooler. I sigh and mutter something profane under my breath, but John ducking loses it. He runs into the clearing, gibbering like a madman, yelling at Lisa.
“Where have you been!? We've been shouting for you all ducking morning! The duck is your problem!?” And so on. Lisa and Lauren look utterly stunned. Lisa just stares at him silently, eyes wide. But Lauren takes it for a couple seconds, and then jumps up and starts giving it right back

“duck you ****, why don't you settle the duck down? We haven't heard you shouting anything. Why don't you just relax!?” About halfway through her counter-assault, she starts glaring at me, like I had anything to do with it. So I walk up, put a hand on John's shoulder, and give him the kind of quick “calm the duck down” lecture that only a close friend can give. Afterwards, he shuts up, and sits down next to Lisa.
“Sorry... I was just really worried,” he mutters. Lisa just nods. So we sit around the fire for a bit. We eat some bacon, except for Lisa, who takes her share just stares at it. Some more awkward silence, and then Lauren grabs my shoulder and gives me a “let's go somewhere private” look. We make our excuses to John and Lisa, and head into the woods on the far side of oyster mound.
We get a few hundred yards down a trail, when Lauren spins around to face me.
“What the duck is up with them?” she says. I'm unprepared, and just throw up my hands in a “what, me worry?” gesture.
“First she disappears last night, then YOU GUYS disappear this morning, and she hasn't said a word since I got her out of the tent!”
I'm just shaking my head, having no idea what's going on. “Hang on,” I say, “John woke ME up because Lisa was missing this morning, and we've just spent the last couple hours tromping around trying to find her. Then we find you guys making breakfast like nothing ever happened. What do you mean she was in the tent?”

Now it was Lauren's turn to look confused for a second. “I got up after you left, and she was in their tent. I woke her up, got the fire going again, and we've been sitting there, awkward as hell because she won't SAY anything, waiting for you two to...”
We just looked at each other for a long moment.
“This is ducked up,” I said. Another long silence.
She nodded, digesting her own thoughts. “I want to go home,” Lauren said. Part of me wanted to disagree, wanted to man up and chalk it all up to silliness and get our weekend back on track. But all I did was nod.
“Okay,” I said. We headed back to camp. John and Lisa are still sitting right where we left them, still silent. For some reason, I feel like I need to explain to John what Lauren and I have been discussing, so I ask John if he can come down to the boat with me to get some stuff we left there, while giving Lauren an “I know what I'm doing” look. John agrees and we head off. Ten minutes later and we're standing by the boat, which is resting completely on the damp, low-tide shore, a good ten feet from the shallow, lapping waves.
“So John,” I say. “Lauren and I think we should leave as soon as we can.”
“Huh?” John responds. “How come?”
“How come? Seriously? How come your girlfriend frigging keeps disappearing?”
John starts shaking his head. “duck you man, that's not cool.”
 “Look, I don't know what happened last night. I'm thinking she's a secret epileptic or something. I don't know, but it doesn't matter.” We stare at each other for a few seconds. “Lauren says she was in your tent after we left.”
 “What?” John stammers.
 “Are you sure she was... you know...gone?” I ask, trying to make some sense of the situation.

“Are you kidding? I think I can tell if there's a second person in my ducking tent dude!”
 “Okay, okay,” I say, raising my hands in a “settle down” gesture. “Lauren just said that after we left, she got up, and Lisa was asleep in your tent. I don't know what the duck is going on, but I agree with Lauren that we should just call this a weekend and head back.”
 John was shaking his head, trying to figure out what he wanted to say, when I saw his eyes focus on something behind me, and widen. I turned, and immediately saw what had caught his attention.
The plastic housing had been yanked off of the outboard motor of the boat. It was laying in the boat, the clips that held it in place snapped off. The motor had been brutalized. Vandalized, really. The spark plug wires were yanked out, ripped and torn apart from the plug heads. Most of the other wiring was ripped to pieces. The prop was completely gone, as well as the pin. It took a few seconds to sink in, just how ducked we suddenly were.
 “What... the... duck.” We both said at the same time. Before either of us had had a chance to fully internalize what we were seeing, a piercing scream echoed out of the woods behind us, coming from the camp. Without a thought, we set off down the trail at a dead sprint. We found Lauren sitting in the middle of the trail, a hundred feet or so from the bend that entered the clearing. She was on her knees, knuckles in her mouth, hyperventilati ng. She looked at us as we ran up to her, eyes confused and panicked.
“Baby!” I said as I fell to my own knees next to her, putting my hands on her shoulders. I shook her and called her name. She blinked a few times, her eyes seeming to focus on mine. “What is it, baby?” I said again. She just shook her head and pointed. John and I turned to look. In a pile at the base of a palmetto plant, just on the edge of the trail, were a pair of jean shorts and a yellow tank top. They were stained dark red

“What the duck,” John said, moving toward them for a closer look.
“I-I...” Lauren stammered. “I was coming out to...” she leaned in close, whispering, “I had to poop,” she said into my ear. “I was coming back to camp and... and... goddamnit!” she shouted. She started hitting me, softly, in the chest, her hands balled into fists. “What the duck are you guys doing? What the duck is going on?”
“Dude,” John said from behind me, “These are Lisa's...” We stared at each other. None of us could think of anything better to do.
“I want to go home,” Lauren said. I promised her that we were, soon, but we had to go pack up. She looked very unhappy, but nodded. I helped her back to her feet, and we tromped through the pine-needles back to camp. I didn't have the heart to tell her about the boat.
We get back to camp, and there's Lisa, sitting calm as can be by the almost dead campfire. John runs over to her, almost as if he's surprised to see her still in one piece, and he takes her in his arms and starts whispering into her ear. Lauren and I can see from his face that he's going to pieces, but he seems to be doing his best (in a crazy way, at least) to comfort and get through to Lisa. We're both just glad that she is, in fact, in one piece.
We stand awkwardly at the edge of camp for a bit, watching John whisper reassurances to Lisa. Eventually I decide I need to fill Lauren in on the boat situation, so I lead her a bit away and tell her what we'd seen. I was expecting a Lisa-level freak out, but she took it more calmly than John or I probably had.

“It must've been an animal,” she said, completely matter-of-fact. “Raccoons tear stuff up all the time.” There was no questioning in her voice. I nodded.
 “You're probably right.” It only took a few second to convince myself. “It was probably a frigging raccoon.” Keep in mind that I had, in fact, experienced raccoon mayhem many times in my life. They can actually cause some pretty serious damage if they want to get in to or out of something, and it wasn't hard to make myself believe it. I debated with myself whether to tell Lauren about the blood stained clearing, but decided that she was taking things way too well, and there was no reason to duck that up. So we spent a few minutes discussing strategies for getting home. She asked if John and I could fix the boat – I said probably not. She asked if we could swim to shore – I said probably, if we were really desperate. She checked her phone for signal – she didn't have any. None of us did. We were still brainstorming options, none all the well thought-out, when John found us.
 “Guys,” he said, “I'm worried about Lisa.” That got our attention. “She won't say anything,” he said. He was looking at the ground, brow knitted. “I don't know what to do.”
 Lauren nodded. “She wouldn't talk to me this morning. I'm worried too. Maybe she really did have some kind of seizure or something. Has she ever said anything to you about... anything like that? Medical stuff?” Lauren sounded almost... hopeful. Hopeful for an answer that made sense.

“Nah,” John said, shaking his head. “I mean... nothing like this. I don't know what to do,” he repeated. We spent some time in a little circle, discussing “escape” plans, but nothing great came to mind. To reiterate, the island wasn't far terribly far from shore, and John and I were strong swimmers, so if we got REALLY desperate, we could make it for help. Still, the water was shallow in places, full of sharp-as-hell oyster bars, and potentially swarming with bull sharks, so that was a resort that we weren't freaked out enough to use just yet.
Anyway, we end up going back to camp. It's probably about eleven o'clock, maybe closer to noon. It's hot as hell, there's tons of biting flies and no-see ums, and there's no spirit of fun. Nobody wants to go swimming to cool off, nobody wants to tell jokes. It's just the three of us trying to make stiff conversation, while little miss sunshine is sitting there, still dead silent. Occasionally Lisa would look up at one of us, suddenly, and stare. Mostly she'd just keep her eyes locked on the dead fire.
At one point John left to go work on the boat. I was going to go too, but Lauren made it clear that she didn't want to be “alone.” There was no reason to point out that she wasn't alone – she was with Lisa. But that didn't need to be said. John was gone for an hour or two, and he came back looking dejected. I knew that was coming – the motor was trashed.
So the afternoon passes by, with the three of us basically stunned into inaction. I mean, looking back, I'm thinking the same thing anybody reading this is – why weren't you guys building a raft, or making a shelter, or tying up Lisa? I know, I know. But we were young, and, again, nothing outright crazy was going on. We were caught somewhere in the doldrums between calm and panic.

Twilight starts to come on, and we've spent the entire day doing basically nothing. At one point Lauren and I went and gathered more firewood, so we were set for the night. Around six o'clock, John led Lisa by the hands into the tent, and laid her down. I remember looking at her through the round door, just before John zipped it up. She was laying on her back, like a corpse, eyes wide open staring at the roof of the tent.
With Lisa in the tent, we started conversing somewhat normally again. We got the fire going again as twilight was coming on, popped a few more beers, and, for a little while, we forgot about the obvious problems and started having some fun. I mean, again, the boat was weird, but it probably WAS just a raccoon. We were easily within reach of land if it came to that, and it probably wouldn't, because there was usually a lot of boat traffic around the bay, checking crab traps, or fishing, or even coming to the island to hang out. The blood, I convinced myself, was just from some predation event. And Lisa, although acting weird as duck, was probably asleep in the tent and not actively bringing us down.
The good mood lasted until well past full dark. I don't know what time exactly, but it had been dark awhile. John got up to piss, but he'd only gone a few paces before he stopped.
 “Um, guys...” I remember he muttered. Lauren and I turned, both mid-laugh. The smiles drained from our faces like something you'd see in a movie. The door to John's tent was unzipped, wide open. And the tent was empty.
“You've got to be ducking kidding me,” Lauren hissed. We were both up instantly. John was in his tent, rifling for a flashlight. A moment later, I was in my backpack, grabbing the battery-lanterns I'd brought. I handed one to Lauren, who took it with hesitation. She obviously knew what it meant, and didn't like it.
 “We've got to find her,” I said. Lauren just stared at me, wide-eyed, and shook her head.

“We've got to find her,” I said. Lauren just stared at me, wide-eyed, and shook her head.
“How the hell did she unzip the tent and leave without any of us noticing? Or hearing her?” John said. His voice was tinged with panic, kind of high pitched. He was shining his mag-light beam in random directions, the white light cutting through the dark pine woods. “Let's split up,” he said.
 “Fuuuuuuck that,” was my instant reply. “I don't know if you've never seen a horror movie, but there is no way I'm leaving Lauren alone, and there's no way I'M going out there, alone, right now.” My speech might not have been that sensible, but it was something very similar. Lauren obviously agreed, so John formed up with us, and as a small triangle of bodies and flashlights, we set out down the weedy trail that started nearest to the tent.
To re-use the phrase, we went about this “Amish Search” for awhile. Arms pretty much linked, eyes and lights facing in every direction. We'd grown up on Scooby-Doo, we weren't letting anybody fall through a trap-door, or a reversible book-shelf. When we'd first left camp, we'd been shouting Lisa's name, but after about ten minutes, we gave up. She absolutely would have heard us, but she absolutely wasn't answering. So we searched in silence, girding ourselves against the seemingly inevitable horror movie moment where the cat leaps out of the closet while the guy with the hatchet is under the bed.
Anyway, we work our way around pretty much the entire island. If it was, hypothetically, midnight when we started looking, it was probably three or four in the morning now. I could tell from the sky that dawn was a while off. Suddenly we realize we've come around to the boat. Lauren breaks from the group a bit, and goes over to the boat. John and I, who are still peering into the woods, hear her gasp.

We both whirl around. I mean, our nerves are raw, and Lauren's gasp is probably the first human sound we've heard in two hours. She raises an arm to shield her eyes from the flashlight beams we've leveled on her, then gestures toward the boat.
“No way...” I remember John groaning.
The fiberglass had been scratched to hell. Deep gouges and shallow lines were etched into every surface of the boat. The cushions of the seats were shredded, fiber padding strewn from, literally, bow to stern. We ran the lights over the exterior of the hull, looking at the frantic, deep gouges in the material. It seemed, in hindsight, that there were ALMOST patterns there, but there weren't. I wish I could say something really 2-spooky, like they were cave drawings of mastodons, or 666, or skulls and cross-bones or something. But it wasn't. It was like a three year old scribbling in a coloring book.
 And then we noticed the broken oyster shells spread around the boat. It was somewhere between low and high tide, so water was lapping at the stern of the boat, but the bow was high and dry. And in the damp sand were dozens of broken shells, many with curls of plastic and fiberglass still stuck to the sharp tips.
I remember Lauren stifled a moan, and then started crying. I put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close.
“I want to go home,” she cried. I remember her face, turning red. Her eyes, pink, tears pooling and running down her cheeks. John wasn't doing any better. He had returned his flashlight beam to the woods, and he was whipping it around without any purpose. Panic was obviously setting in. It was nipping at me, but I guess I was just in a slightly better place than my friends. I started to say:
 “Guys, let's just take a few deep breaths and rel--”

And then John screamed, and then Lauren screamed. John's flashlight beam had stopped, and was illuminating Lisa. She was on the edge of the trees, her face pale and her hair a messy tangle of pine straw and twigs. As in response to John and Lauren's ejaculations, Lisa began screaming as well. I don't know how the duck I managed to hold it together, but I recall thinking something kind of silly. I thought “At least Lisa is talking again.”
So I started shaking Lauren by her shoulders. She dropped her lantern to the ground. John had gotten himself under control, as had Lisa apparently, because silence descended over the beach. The only sound, as usual, was the lapping of wavelets against the shore.
At this point, I'd like to make another hindsight observation. I can't believe I didn't think about it then, but I also realize my mind wasn't exactly functioning in a logical way right then. Maybe John or Lauren noticed it, but they never mentioned it to me. Lisa was, at this point, wearing the same khaki shorts and white t-shirt she had been wearing when we'd first arrived. The shorts she'd pissed in. The outfit she'd changed out of that very first night. And only now, looking back, do I realize that she'd been wearing that when John and I had first come back from the boat. The bloody clothes we'd found on the trail? Those were the clothes she'd changed in to that first night in the woods.
Sorry if this seems a bit contrived, but some of this is only just now seeming obvious to me, too. So, back to the story.

Now, Lisa starts gasping and crying, and then she starts sobbing John's name. John runs over to her, and wraps his arms around her. She does the same. They're wrapped in each other's embrace, and Lisa starts panting “What's happening what's happening what's happening” over and over. Lauren and I turn to face each other, both speechless, when from the woods nearby rips this utterly terrifying howl.
Again, John and I are both pretty woodsy. John more than I, but we're both campers, we're both hikers. He hunts with his family a lot. We were both stricken by this sound. The smell from before I could describe, but this sound I really can't. If you've ever heard raccoons mating, they make this wild, high-pitched ululating sort of screech. That's the base. Put on top of that a helping of fake bigfoot groans from those awful Animal Planet specials and a maybe some T-Rex from Jurassic Park, and you can kinda imagine what I'm talking about.
The four of us freeze. John and I, the only two still holding flashlights, spin to face the sound, but there's nothing there. I hear Lauren mutter “Oh god” from beside me. I reach out an arm sideways, the way a dad does to hold his kid back when he slams on the brakes in the car. The howl comes again, this time seemingly closer. John, who's still holding Lisa by the shoulder, starts to back up toward Lauren and I, who are nearer the boat. I hear John muttering “duck duck duck duck” under his breath.
Finally, the howl bursts out once more, this time WAY too close, and there's a frantic commotion from the underbrush. Something is definitely come toward us now, and fast. John twirls Lisa around by her shoulder and starts to run, trying to close the fifty odd feet between us. As he does so, I do the same to Lauren, spinning her and running for the boat.

Now, I have no idea WHY we all instinctively ran for the boat. It was a third beached still, and the motor was dead as dirt. But, hey, we weren't really thinking at that moment. So I'm basically throwing Lauren into the boat, when I hear the muffled scuff of something hitting beach sand, and a curse from behind me. I turn to see that John and Lisa have fallen onto the beach, and John's flashlight has tumbled away from him. At the same time, Lauren slips on the wet fiberglass of the boat, and falls down into the bow, taking my flashlight with her.
This is the point that I still find hard to believe or remember, but I'm going to type out the first things that come to mind, and trust it to be as accurate as possible.
I'm looking at the vague, dark forms of John and Lisa laying the sand, maybe twenty feet away from the boat. The moon is pretty dark, maybe a quarter moon. From the brush and scrub emerges this... shape. It's human, but it's not right. It'd be hard to describe, except...
 Well, Lauren and I saw a movie a year later that really “helped.” I remember when he appeared on screen for the first time, the character. I felt cold, and then a bit nauseous. Lauren simply stood up and left the theater. I followed a shortly after. It was actually one of the last times Lauren and I saw each other.
It was Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. And of course, the character was gollum.
The shape was, like I said, humanoid. Very pale. It almost shimmered in the faint moonlight. It padded across the sand four-legged, like an animal, but awkwardly. Its body was obviously not designed for quadruped locomotion.

I watched with wide eyes as it bee-lined for John's fallen flashlight. It leapt upon it like a cat on a bird, and began thrashing it against the sand, grasping it and beating it into the shore again and again. This all happened in the blink of an eye, really. John, staring at this occurring only a few feet from where he lay, managed to pull himself together and dragged Lisa back up, half running and half crawling toward the boat.
 I helped him toss Lisa in, and together we began shoving at the bow of the boat, trying to get it back into the deeper water. I didn't look back at whatever was happening on the shore just behind me. The thing was squealing now, like a pig in shit, as the saying goes. I could still hear the thumping of the light hitting the dense, wet sand. And there was the light itself, of course. The beam of light was slicing up and down toward us, illuminating the boat, then up into the sky, then back down.
And then nothing. It went dark. Immediately the thumping stopped. John and I had succeeded in getting the entire boat back into the water, but it was still very shallow. Our feet were wet, but the water wasn't even up to our ankles. The girls were now screaming from where they were laying in the bow of the boat.
And then the thing screamed from behind us. If it was terrifying before, from the woods, it was far worse when the thing was screeching down the backs of our shirts. I turned to look, and what I saw... well, I don't have any trouble remembering. THAT part of the story, I don't need any help to describe.

It was like a silver back gorilla. Not so thick and muscular, but the same pose. It rested on its legs, hunched low. Two stringy, muscular arms beat the sand around it in a rage. I couldn't see the face that clearly, after all, it was dark. But I was struck by a sense of humanity. There were two eyes, there was a nose, there was a mouth. Perhaps a bit distorted, but not so noticeably as the body. At least not in the shadows of the sliver of a moon.
Anyway, it howled again and seemed poised to charge at us. What I did next was purely reflex. I reached down into the bow, and yanked from beneath the prone body of my terrified girlfriend the lantern she had pulled from my hands.
At the time, I meant to throw it AT the thing. But I missed. I missed bad. The lantern whirled past its shoulder, and landed with a puff of sand at the edge of the beach, just short of the palmettos.
The thing seemed surprised, it sniffed the air. Then it turned, and in an instant, it was after the light.
John and I couldn't move for a few moments, but the urgency of the moment took over again. We were shoving at the boat, using every ounce of ability. Finally there was a squeak, and the boat was free of the sand. We pushed more, forcing it into hip deep water. Then we both climbed in, and turned, and watched.
We could still see the frantic movement of the lantern, just a beam of light, being pounded against the sand. Occasionally we would hear a squeal or a groan from the thing on the beach. Finally, after thirty or forty seconds, the light flickered and went black. Then there was silence. The only sound was the lapping of the water against the side of the boat.

The current, luckily, was taking us away from the island. We drifted for a few hours before the sun started to come up. By then, we were close enough to the mainland to entertain the idea of swimming in. Lisa, though, was still pretty much out of it. She was talking, and crying, but nobody thought it was a good idea to put her in the water. So we waited.
 Eventually we drifted near another boat, a charter fishing guide out with a client. We babbled some story to him. I'm sure he assumed we were just some dumb, drunk kids who got lost and almost died of heatstroke. Either way, he towed us in.
And that's about the entire story. Like I said, we told plenty of people. It wasn't some great secret among us, but nobody believed it. Lisa and John broke up almost instantly. They didn't even really break up, John just never saw or spoke to her again.
Lauren and I lasted a bit longer – we just stopped talking about the event one day, until that night at the movies. I drove her home. We talked a few times on Trillian, but we never saw each other again.
 And then eleven years go by, and some stupid stories on the Internet stir all this shit back up, and I get a bug up my butt to write it down. Sorry to add another creepy-pasta to the pile. Even sitting here, re-reading this, I keep telling myself it must've just been some cracked out homeless island bum, or even one of our older siblings playing the king of pranks. But I just don't know. And I guess I never will.

Sydney

« Reply #3921 on: May 23, 2014, 12:27:34 PM »
Snake, I was reading your story last night around 11:30ish and then went to bad.  I had nightmare about finding treasures and a decayed body in a hidden wall.  Fortunately, I'm an early riser.  The son woke me up at 6:00 this morning before the dream got too scary.  Maybe I should not be reading ghost stories before bed time, but I do want to compliment you for writing such a great story.  You should consider publishing your stories or writing a book.  It would be a great seller.   O0

ZongDauHang

« Reply #3922 on: May 30, 2014, 03:35:52 AM »
 I forgot where exactly but I stumble upon a video on a random website several months ago where it showed a funeral process taking place in a Hmong village in Laos or Thailand somewhere. A young man presumed decease after going underwater in a river. After a week or so, his family gave up searching for his body. So they went along with the funeral ceremony, without his body but a empty casket.

in the video, during the funeral, the video capture all these colorful, beautiful butterflies and other insects resting peacefully around the ceiling, walls, out on the porch, pillars. etc. I mean I have never seen any butterflies like that before. right on top of a pillar right above the casket, lye this giant pearl white butterfly.

The narrator of this video claims, when asked if the white butterfly was the spirit of the young man. They white butterfly flew down and landed on top of the casket. The narrator continues to say that by the next day, all the butterflies and insects mysteriously disappear peacefully. :-X

hmmm anyone else seen this video? I think it's in youtube somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. or just too lazy to find it...lol

Snake

« Reply #3923 on: May 30, 2014, 03:10:34 PM »
Snake, I was reading your story last night around 11:30ish and then went to bad.  I had nightmare about finding treasures and a decayed body in a hidden wall.  Fortunately, I'm an early riser.  The son woke me up at 6:00 this morning before the dream got too scary.  Maybe I should not be reading ghost stories before bed time, but I do want to compliment you for writing such a great story.  You should consider publishing your stories or writing a book.  It would be a great seller.   O0

Sydney, thanks for those kind words but these stories that I posted are NOT mine and I take no credit for them.  They are personal encounters/experiences from various people across the nation. 

Snake

« Reply #3924 on: May 31, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »
Creepy dab tuag story.

Runnin_with_Scissors

« Reply #3925 on: August 11, 2014, 03:14:40 PM »
The killing of cats, I thought I posted a story about it in here before but I guess some people just don't remember what they've read. Well, here we go again but this time I'll make it short. Back in Cali' North Side Sac' Town, H N S. There's this one lady that had a really retarded son of a, anyway the boy is always sleeping during the day time and up at night speed humping pots and pans like Viagra on Viagra. She met up with a shaman and asked him for why she has this weird child, the shaman looked into it (you know, however he does it? . . . however he does it . . .) and told her that it's because when she was a little kid herself she'd brutally torture a black cat back at the homeland of Laos and that's why her life is a living chaos. The kitty didn't die after she'd poked a stick from it's donkey hole through it's mouth and hung it on a tree near her parent's garden house, it just disappear. It went straight up into the air into heaven's ER and request to reincarnate as her son to retaliate but not to pull a 187. Nothing he can do to help, she's just gotta' live it through this life.  >:D

Bro,
Even though you posted this shizniz so long ago, I'm laughing like crazy at work.  And your tag line is hilarious.

-runnin

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: August 11, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »
On the early morning of Sunday, August 10, 2014, (around 1 a.m.) I was driving north just pass Marshall, Minnesota. I was on a fishing trip towards Lake Traverse.

It was drizzling and the road was quite slippery, so I was not going that fast on US 59.  Just as I was passing a sign between two corn fields, a car that seemed to have idling on the oncoming road turned right onto that side of the road, over some grass and into the corn field right below that grass field. I saw its tail lights blinking. Then the car disappeared into the corn field.

No corn was damaged. No road was there. The car just disappeared.

I think that was "their entrance" to their village or something.

Nawh, that didn't scare me. I just smiled and drove a bit faster up north.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: August 27, 2014, 02:04:25 PM »
Found in the woods in Laos on 8/22/14 after 13 days of this secret neck-hanging ceremony by this pair of Hmong lovers.  Now with the nyiav effect. Watch and listen at your own risk.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1468335593447352&fref=nf

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:06:23 PM by Reporter »

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: August 28, 2014, 07:04:28 PM »
I did warn you. ;D

"...

yinyangh22

« Reply #3929 on: September 04, 2014, 03:39:39 PM »
I've heard very similar stories at the projects on congress. Back then some of my cousins were playing hide n seek at night, the one that was finding the others thought he found his younger brother in the closet and was pretty sire it was him, he said that his younger bro didn't say anything and didnt come out the closet when he found him. So he shrugged it off and went to the others only to find his younger brother hiding on top of the fridge and his younger bro was askn who he was talkin to when he went to the closet. They got scared and stopped playing.

This is one of my creepy encounter as a youth.
This happened to me when I was around 10 years old.  At that time we were very poor and were living in West St. Paul's project homes located on Congress street. It was the weekend and my brother and I were watching movies late into the night.  At around 1AM my brother was tired and went to bed.  An hour later I also got pretty tired and decided I was going to sleep in the living room. 

I grabbed a pillow and blanket from the sofa, turned the TV off and slept on the floor. It was pitch black and I covered myself with the blanket from head to toe.  I was getting ready to fall asleep when I heard foot steps walking around me. I thought I was hearing things so I pulled the blanket off my head and looked around, just darkness.  I blew it off and covered my head with the blanket.

A few minutes later I heared the foot steps walking around me again.  I started to get really scared.  I got up looked around but saw no one.  I decided I go sleep in my room upstairs.  By this time my eyes had adjusted to the dark and could see evrything in the room.  I walked towards the stairs and as I neared it my dad jumped from the stairs and landed right infront of me.  It scared the crap out of me and I stumbled backwards a little.

I was like WTF dad?  He smiled at me then walked into the kitchen.  He did't turn the lights on which I thought was odd but what ever.  I walked upstairs and went into my parents room to tell my mom what happened. Since my dad was downstairs I thought my mom would be awake.  I walked into their room, turned the lights on and to my horror both my parents were asleep.  So who the phuck did I just saw downstairs. I shut the lights off and ran into my room and locked the door. To this day I never told my parents what I saw that night.  We don't live there anymore.

Advertisements