Advertisement

Author Topic: Lets Start A Post Your Fish Thread.  (Read 283718 times)

fish4keep

Re: Lets Start A Post Your Fish Thread.
« Reply #720 on: May 18, 2011, 09:33:54 AM »
Seriously?!  :o

Is the white bass population that bad there? What's the reasoning behind this? Link? I'm just curious. Thanks.

I don't know the reasoning behind it but here are some of my theory:

White bass
1. is not a native species.
2. veracious, taking over and killing native species.
3. over populate

Ca Dept of Fish and Game have purposely kill entire lakes/streams just to get rid of the white bass.  Once all the white bass (and other fish) are dead, they start restocking them.  There's only one lake in CA that has white bass that I know of but for that lake you have the option of releasing it right away or kill it right away.

That same rule also apply to Northern Pike. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

addisonlee

« Reply #721 on: May 18, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
That same rule also apply to Northern Pike. 

:o

Wow! That is just insane!  :idiot2:

I would think the Hmong population in CA is big enough to keep the whitebass population in check.  ;D

fish4keep

« Reply #722 on: May 18, 2011, 10:37:03 AM »
I would think the Hmong population in CA is big enough to keep the whitebass population in check.  ;D

i think hmong ppl would rather go for stripers since we have an abundant of those here???  but who know, only if we had more white bass. since we don't it's hard to say.........

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: May 18, 2011, 10:48:30 AM »
Don't the CA rules apply to those Muskies too?

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

fish4keep

« Reply #724 on: May 18, 2011, 10:57:04 AM »
Don't the CA rules apply to those Muskies too?

probably but musky is not in the list of species.  so i don't know if we have any of those in CA. 

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 18, 2011, 11:09:12 AM »
Seen the story in some fish news about invasive muskie problems in trout stocked lakes a few years ago.  The muskies were being disposed of.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #726 on: May 18, 2011, 11:50:31 AM »
Just because meeka people advised of killing them immediately doesn't mean we should, right? I think since most of us love eating them, we should conserve them ourselves. We take it for granted now but once they're gone, they're gone. Especially CA, you guys don't have 45,000 lakes like the Midwest.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:56:41 AM by bASS_BLASTER »

fish4keep

« Reply #727 on: May 18, 2011, 12:29:11 PM »
Just because meeka people advised of killing them immediately doesn't mean we should, right? I think since most of us love eating them, we should conserve them ourselves. We take it for granted now but once they're gone, they're gone. Especially CA, you guys don't have 45,000 lakes like the Midwest.
It's a DFG regulation.  For me (and assuming other hmongs), definately would love to see more places have them.  But once DFG finds out, they will try to get rid of it. I have yet to catch a white bass in CA.  Shoot, the state is being sued from some tree huggers for stocking fish (mainly trout). Too much political crap.......... ...

Addi:  http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2011/

Roc

« Reply #728 on: May 18, 2011, 05:25:16 PM »
Yea in CA our fisheries are run like crap. Thank your local DNR officer that they are running things right in the midwest. An example is that they are closing a lot of good shoreline along the coast to protect the fish (which they only block fishing and not other stuff like oil drilling or sewage pipes) but at the same time they are now increasing the bag limits on many ocean rockfish and reducing the size limit. Makes no sense at all (and the places they are closing are places closest to town instead of the hundreds of miles where no one lives and fishes). This means people can keep more fish from the few places that are open.

Another thing is that our state is in financial death, we barely have any wardens to catch poachers. They don't come when you call that someone is harvesting lobsters out of season etc etc. I remember my dad used to say that they would catch bonito off our piers (a type of small tuna), and now we're lucky if they come once in 5 years. The limit is 5 under 22 inches and 5 over 22 inches, and people would catch 10 inchers all day by the trash-bag load.

As for the trout, there is a private group suing the state department of fish and game because they say the stocked trout are breeding with the native trout and basically making them dumber and weaker. All stocked trout now have to be unable to reproduce by electro shocking when they are still in the egg. This one is hard to tell which side to join, because stockers are fun to catch, but natives are 100x better to fish, fight, and eat.

Oh and lastly, the whitebass lake has an overpopulation of whitebass. Like fish4keep said, you have the option of releasing the fish, or killing it right away to take home. You are not allowed to transport live whitebass. Hmong people don't fish the lake that much because it's way the hell in the middle of nowhere. It's 3 hours from me (and I'm 1.5 hours from LA) and at least 2.5 hours away from Fresno. They've got stripers in Millerton lake, and that's 30 minutes away from Fresno. Also, the lake is high in mercury from both natural and human sources (army base nearby). I hear that during the spawn up in the narrows of the lake, you can almost walk across the river on all the whitebass.

Edit: And it's true about the pike/musky thing. There was a lake up north that pike were found in and after trying different ways, the fish and game with the community decided it was best to poison the whole lake and restart stocking again. The pike are too aggressive, and add to that the warm waters and fast growing times down here equals trouble for the other species. Their biggest problem now is dealing with carp. My local lake has opened up bow-fishing for carp, anyone have recommendation s on a bow? If I can use it to hunt deer/turkey it would be double good!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:33:58 PM by Roc »

Offline dianahmuas

• Elite Poster
  • i love when you love me...
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 19, 2011, 12:41:53 AM »
Yea in CA our fisheries are run like crap. Thank your local DNR officer that they are running things right in the midwest. An example is that they are closing a lot of good shoreline along the coast to protect the fish (which they only block fishing and not other stuff like oil drilling or sewage pipes) but at the same time they are now increasing the bag limits on many ocean rockfish and reducing the size limit. Makes no sense at all (and the places they are closing are places closest to town instead of the hundreds of miles where no one lives and fishes). This means people can keep more fish from the few places that are open.

Another thing is that our state is in financial death, we barely have any wardens to catch poachers. They don't come when you call that someone is harvesting lobsters out of season etc etc. I remember my dad used to say that they would catch bonito off our piers (a type of small tuna), and now we're lucky if they come once in 5 years. The limit is 5 under 22 inches and 5 over 22 inches, and people would catch 10 inchers all day by the trash-bag load.

As for the trout, there is a private group suing the state department of fish and game because they say the stocked trout are breeding with the native trout and basically making them dumber and weaker. All stocked trout now have to be unable to reproduce by electro shocking when they are still in the egg. This one is hard to tell which side to join, because stockers are fun to catch, but natives are 100x better to fish, fight, and eat.

Oh and lastly, the whitebass lake has an overpopulation of whitebass. Like fish4keep said, you have the option of releasing the fish, or killing it right away to take home. You are not allowed to transport live whitebass. Hmong people don't fish the lake that much because it's way the hell in the middle of nowhere. It's 3 hours from me (and I'm 1.5 hours from LA) and at least 2.5 hours away from Fresno. They've got stripers in Millerton lake, and that's 30 minutes away from Fresno. Also, the lake is high in mercury from both natural and human sources (army base nearby). I hear that during the spawn up in the narrows of the lake, you can almost walk across the river on all the whitebass.

Edit: And it's true about the pike/musky thing. There was a lake up north that pike were found in and after trying different ways, the fish and game with the community decided it was best to poison the whole lake and restart stocking again. The pike are too aggressive, and add to that the warm waters and fast growing times down here equals trouble for the other species. Their biggest problem now is dealing with carp. My local lake has opened up bow-fishing for carp, anyone have recommendation s on a bow? If I can use it to hunt deer/turkey it would be double good!

interesting... thanks for the info about cali... O0

"Be pain, Live prosperously, Be merried"

"Live pain, Be prosperous, Live merrily"

addisonlee

« Reply #730 on: May 19, 2011, 10:58:06 AM »

You seemed pretty informed and educated about what is happening in CA.

Have you joined a conservation club to help with the issues you've expressed concern about? What have you done to help your situation? (not meant to be offensive, just curious)  :)

If you want to make change, you have to take action.  O0

DeceiversChick

« Reply #731 on: May 19, 2011, 12:23:16 PM »
this past weekend i caught two small northern's on a local lake but i'm too embarrassed to post it up. It's not worth posting. ehehehehe

Roc

« Reply #732 on: May 19, 2011, 02:43:38 PM »
Sounds great, I love fighting northerns (the two that I have caught my whole life anyways haha).

As for what I've done, I attended the hearing about the closures with fellow recreational, spear, and commercial fishermen held in my city and voiced directly my concerns. The thing is though, that these public hearings were pretty rigged. A lot of the hearings were held in-land (like in Sacramento vs. in San Francisco) which is hours from the coast, most likely to make it harder for more people to come. Secondly, there are multiple lawsuits against this process; two major ones are that they haven't done the necessary research that this process will help the environment at all, and the second one is from a film-maker who was not given access to a meeting even though they are "public".

At first I thought this was all conspiracy stuff (which I don't really care for) but when you start reading it, there's a lot of shady stuff going on, namely that the process is funded by a private organization coming from the Packard Foundation (who definitely are looking for something in return for their $18 million investment). Most fishermen believe it is a move to get fishermen out of areas where elitists don't want us. Fishing down here isn't as much a family tradition as it is up there. Most people only know that meat comes from the supermarket. The idea of eating the fish I caught surprised almost all of my friends (they always ask, "you can eat that?"). In fact, many people will look at you in disgust for harming a poor little creature. It's a pretty tough battle, one which we fishermen are losing. The only thing I haven't done yet is donate money to the organizations fighting it (I should though, but it may be too late).

But enough ranting, haha, this is a post your fish thread not a political one, so post those fishies!

Here's two I got from the harbor messing around while taking a walk after dinner:

Shiner Perch, great halibut bait:

Opaleye, vegetarian fish, I caught it on peas:

A shot of the Harbor:

fish4keep

« Reply #733 on: May 19, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »
Roc, I always thought you were meeka......... ........  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
Your avatar on PFIC looks like meeka......... ....... ;D ;D ;D

Roc

« Reply #734 on: May 20, 2011, 03:29:04 AM »
Wha? No way man, hmong born and raised haha! iamfisherman is hmong too, but I think he kind of stopped posting. That's funny I didn't think anyone else was on those forums. What's your screenname on there?

Advertisements