Advertisement

Author Topic: Yep, it's CARP and it's on sale for $3.99/lb  (Read 1551 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1334
    • View Profile
Yep, it's CARP and it's on sale for $3.99/lb
« on: March 22, 2021, 10:03:09 PM »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: Yep, it's CARP and it's on sale for $3.99/lb
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 01:08:05 PM »
Many city people can find fish only in the stores, not the rivers or lakes.

They also don't know that one can hunt doves for very little money.

https://www.buywildgamemeats.com/dovemeat2birds.html

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 01:43:43 PM »
I was reading on the invasion of Asian Carps on rivers/lakes in the Midwest...but this type of fish seem unpopular among fishermen so not sure how it tasted.  If I was at the super market, I'll pass.....

I'd rather get goldenn Pampano,one of my favorite fish.

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 01:48:33 PM »
I want to try the invasive carps (formerly derogatorily labeled Asian carps).

Pompanos, tilapias, white daces are all very chemicalized because of the fish farm feedings. But they do taste good. Invasive carps are natural and are more healthful.

I was reading on the invasion of Asian Carps on rivers/lakes in the Midwest...but this type of fish seem unpopular among fishermen so not sure how it tasted.  If I was at the super market, I'll pass.....

I'd rather get goldenn Pampano,one of my favorite fish.

"...

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 01:51:29 PM »
I want to try the invasive carps (formerly derogatorily labeled Asian carps).

Pompanos, tilapias, white daces are all very chemicalized because of the fish farm feedings. But they do taste good. Invasive carps are natural and are more healthful.
Yes, I try to stay away from tilapias but I thought Pompanos are from the ocean, no? 

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline one-tai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 01:54:55 PM »
Nope! "GRASS CARP" not the same as common carp.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 02:00:40 PM »
Fish farmers can put a little saline in their farms and keep those thriving for sale, Dok. Some are raised right in Florida, not all from Thailand and China only. Nor are they caught by the Japanese and Norwegians off their oceans.

Yes, I try to stay away from tilapias but I thought Pompanos are from the ocean, no?

"...

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 02:21:14 PM »
Fish farmers can put a little saline in their farms and keep those thriving for sale, Dok. Some are raised right in Florida, not all from Thailand and China only. Nor are they caught by the Japanese and Norwegians off their oceans.
Hmmmm, need to pay more attention to the fine print.  But still, many types of food in this country are filled with chemicals of some sorts from fruits to veggies to fish, to meats, to so many things.  Is ocean caught truly means ocean caught and organic truly means organics anymore.  The best way to know is produce your own food - get your own fish, grow your own veggies, raised your own livestock, etc..

Some folks in CA catch their own pampanos, I hear.  I wonder if they have to take a boat into the ocean or can just hook a fishing line by one of those piers...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 02:31:08 PM »
We really can't tell if anything is truly organic anymore. Stores try as much as they can to assure us of organic stuff but that's not that reliable. For example, the young coconuts from Thailand, for examples, we know they are farm-raised with chemicals but the American whole foods stores sell them as organic drinks just because they are natural-looking.

The venison we get from the wild here, we think they are natural. But do you know what deer eat? Corns and soy beans from chemical farms around their environments. Our fish from the lakes and rivers around the Midwest? Find a non-polluted lake or river or soil and we might have truly natural, organic meats and veggies. But otherwise, those factories that have polluted our airs and waters have contaminated the drinks and breaths of our food animals.

Oceans aren't that clean anymore. So, those in Cal and New Jersey or Florida that catch from the seas get some that aren't all natural or clean.

At most, we know that if we catch or pick things from the wild, we might a lesser chance of eating chemicals. Nothing that would be 100% pure.

Hmmmm, need to pay more attention to the fine print.  But still, many types of food in this country are filled with chemicals of some sorts from fruits to veggies to fish, to meats, to so many things.  Is ocean caught truly means ocean caught and organic truly means organics anymore.  The best way to know is produce your own food - get your own fish, grow your own veggies, raised your own livestock, etc..

Some folks in CA catch their own pampanos, I hear.  I wonder if they have to take a boat into the ocean or can just hook a fishing line by one of those piers...

"...

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 02:43:23 PM »
We really can't tell if anything is truly organic anymore. Stores try as much as they can to assure us of organic stuff but that's not that reliable. For example, the young coconuts from Thailand, for examples, we know they are farm-raised with chemicals but the American whole foods stores sell them as organic drinks just because they are natural-looking.

The venison we get from the wild here, we think they are natural. But do you know what deer eat? Corns and soy beans from chemical farms around their environments. Our fish from the lakes and rivers around the Midwest? Find a non-polluted lake or river or soil and we might have truly natural, organic meats and veggies. But otherwise, those factories that have polluted our airs and waters have contaminated the drinks and breaths of our food animals.

Oceans aren't that clean anymore. So, those in Cal and New Jersey or Florida that catch from the seas get some that aren't all natural or clean.

At most, we know that if we catch or pick things from the wild, we might a lesser chance of eating chemicals. Nothing that would be 100% pure.
exactly.  Maybe the next chapters in our life, we should be farmers - good for health and grown own food.  It's ironic though when you think about it, we escape Laos to avoid being farmers but now we yearn to be farmers ;D ;D ;D We should never have left Laos ;D ;D ;D ;D Just rambling thoughts.  But, I understand your point exactly.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 03:10:14 PM »
Why would you wait till the next life? You can be a farmer even this May. In fact, you can start this week.

I'm glad we left Laos. There were two  reasons for it: political and advancement into modernity.

exactly.  Maybe the next chapters in our life, we should be farmers - good for health and grown own food.  It's ironic though when you think about it, we escape Laos to avoid being farmers but now we yearn to be farmers ;D ;D ;D We should never have left Laos ;D ;D ;D ;D Just rambling thoughts.  But, I understand your point exactly.

"...

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 04:16:15 PM »
Why would you wait till the next life? You can be a farmer even this May. In fact, you can start this week.

I'm glad we left Laos. There were two  reasons for it: political and advancement into modernity.
Part time farmers Yes but what about full time? enticing idea?

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 05:16:20 PM »
You can be full-time farmer, since you seem to regret leaving Laos so much. You will have plenty of organic foods to live on and will have a lot to share with the rest of us, too, right?

Part time farmers Yes but what about full time? enticing idea?

"...

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 05:20:14 PM »
I've caught and ate my last carp about 20 years ago. 

It is not because it tastes bad or any.  It just the fact that there were hardly any meat on mine.  So what is it that you are paying for here?  The bone is heavier than the meat. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1334
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 05:26:18 PM »
Nope! "GRASS CARP" not the same as common carp.

NOPE! Crawling back to prove me right because I made him cried mommy the hardest is "not the same as" ..."I love the ignore feature"..

Advertisements