Advertisement

Author Topic: laptop infected  (Read 4477 times)

valleygirl

laptop infected
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:46:32 PM »
So last night I was on a roll with downloading music from the music section here. All of a sudden my web internet disconnects and I got a message saying “you’ve been infected by 32 viruses…” My anti-virus subscription just expired over the weekend so I didn’t have any protection. Anyway, I tried re-connecting to the internet and I got a message saying “server.exe is damaged” so I was not able to connect. I then borrowed my brother's anti-virus cd. When I put the cd in and tried to run it, I got a message that said “Norton anti-virus.exe is damaged” so it didn’t run. I keep getting messages about the different viruses but I can’t do anything to fix it.

What can I do in order to get my laptop up and running again and be virus free? Taking my laptop in to get it fixed will be my last resort as I have a lot of sensitive information on there. 

Thanks in advance.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

xtcxyooj

Re: laptop infected
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »
best thing to do is try to save an much of your important info/file as possible then reformat. another good thing to do is get another hard drive to save your important stuff on that hard and use it as a backup in case ur main hard drive fail/get virus. at least that's how i do it.

C.Y.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »
So last night I was on a roll with downloading music from the music section here. All of a sudden my web internet disconnects and I got a message saying “you’ve been infected by 32 viruses…” My anti-virus subscription just expired over the weekend so I didn’t have any protection. Anyway, I tried re-connecting to the internet and I got a message saying “server.exe is damaged” so I was not able to connect. I then borrowed my brother's anti-virus cd. When I put the cd in and tried to run it, I got a message that said “Norton anti-virus.exe is damaged” so it didn’t run. I keep getting messages about the different viruses but I can’t do anything to fix it.

What can I do in order to get my laptop up and running again and be virus free? Taking my laptop in to get it fixed will be my last resort as I have a lot of sensitive information on there. 

Thanks in advance.

Similar to what happen to my sister's laptop. Download the free version of Malwarebytes (just google it) from a working computer to a usb drive. Start up your infected computer in safe mode. (Don't know how just google it) Plug in the usb drive and install that Malwarebytes software. When install run the anti-virus software to scan your laptop and that should get rid of it.

I recommend uninstalling the Malwarebytes after that and installing a few other anti-virus software and running it just to make sure.

Offline lifemystery

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:34:02 PM »
  Well I can't help you much here but I know a way how you can stop it next time if something like that happened again.
  When you are downloading stuff from the internet from websites and starting to seeing these weird messages that pop out from no where. Usually those message asking you to click on the message box; well do not. If you accidentally click on it or sometimes it does automatically without you clicking it (you'll see a quick loading bar); then press the ctrl and alt and delete the same time really quick, click Start Task Manager, next pick which task you want to end, then click on End Task button. It worked for me even though my ant-virus expired.

Tip: You have to do it really fast.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:36:52 PM by lifemystery »

Suav

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 11:37:40 PM »
download and run the latest combofix

Xeemxai

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 03:30:52 PM »
anti malwarebyte is free.  Download it and update the software before scanning.  You should log in with another admin account or go to safe mode. 

Offline TijLaugHmoob

• Sr. Poster
  • Keep my eyes on you...!
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:08:25 AM »
malwarebyte is not free...   make sure you know what are you doing.... otherwise you will get more virus....

Best thing reformat your system start from fresh.......

michaelvang85

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 11:03:10 AM »
Scanning and Cleaning with Malwarebytes is free. But as stated before, it has to be done under safemode, since that malicious-ware is labeling everything as a 'threat' to your system. It basically cripples your computer so it can't open anything.  Loading your computer up in safe mode prevents the virus from loading up and causing issues while you can clean your system with Malwarebytes.

I would recommend using Malwarebytes to get your computer back to a functional state so you can backup your important files, and then follow it up by re-formatting your laptop to ensure it's clean with no virus' lurking about in your system folders.

valleygirl

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »

Similar to what happen to my sister's laptop. Download the free version of Malwarebytes (just google it) from a working computer to a usb drive. Start up your infected computer in safe mode. (Don't know how just google it) Plug in the usb drive and install that Malwarebytes software. When install run the anti-virus software to scan your laptop and that should get rid of it.

I recommend uninstalling the Malwarebytes after that and installing a few other anti-virus software and running it just to make sure.

Scanning and Cleaning with Malwarebytes is free. But as stated before, it has to be done under safemode, since that malicious-ware is labeling everything as a 'threat' to your system. It basically cripples your computer so it can't open anything.  Loading your computer up in safe mode prevents the virus from loading up and causing issues while you can clean your system with Malwarebytes.

I would recommend using Malwarebytes to get your computer back to a functional state so you can backup your important files, and then follow it up by re-formatting your laptop to ensure it's clean with no virus' lurking about in your system folders.

thank your for your suggestion. I actually tried this. After it was done with the scanning in 'safe mode', it said I didn't have any infected files.  I then restarted in normal mode and I'm still getting the pop ups. I'm still not able to connect to the internet or open my files.

Json

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »
You should restore you computer to an earlier point.  That's what I do all the time. 

mronline

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 09:40:10 PM »

Thanks in advance.

[/quote)

make sure you update malwarebytes and then click on full scan. if not working, go to safe mode to scan it. if still not working, someone already mentioned to  you to do a  system restore. it should work if you are able to do system restore.. unless you have got bankerfox virus infestation.  still need help.. sos us.

michaelvang85

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 01:30:28 AM »

thank your for your suggestion. I actually tried this. After it was done with the scanning in 'safe mode', it said I didn't have any infected files.  I then restarted in normal mode and I'm still getting the pop ups. I'm still not able to connect to the internet or open my files.

If that's the issue, then I would recommend saving any of your important files over to a flash drive and reformatting your computer and start anew.

valleygirl

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 11:17:03 AM »
If that's the issue, then I would recommend saving any of your important files over to a flash drive and reformatting your computer and start anew.

I can't open any folders, will I still be able to save my files over to a flash drive safely? I know how to do that part, but the reformating part, I have no idea where to start. Although, I don't really want to, I was thinking about taking it in to Geek Squad or one of those computer stores. Do you know how much they charge to reformat?

I'm so clueless when it comes to computers :(

michaelvang85

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 02:48:56 PM »
I can't open any folders, will I still be able to save my files over to a flash drive safely? I know how to do that part, but the reformating part, I have no idea where to start. Although, I don't really want to, I was thinking about taking it in to Geek Squad or one of those computer stores. Do you know how much they charge to reformat?

I'm so clueless when it comes to computers :(

start you computer in SAFE MODE. you should be able to open folders and transfer your files to a usb drive or something.

did your computer come with a Recovery CD? If not, the Recovery program for restoring your computer to factory settings may be on your computer, which you can access by hitting f8 or f12 (someone correct me on this??) during system start up.

Geek Squad can do this stuff for you, but their prices might be steep.

buster_me

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 11:34:35 PM »
F8 or F11 as you bootup. you'll see menu. select factory recovery and follow it. not that hard. youtube it. geeksquad to reformat your HD is a waste

Advertisements