Advertisement

Author Topic: Those who went to the Hmong Music Festival...what do you think of it?  (Read 12508 times)

Offline Solemn Wind

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
For doing it the very first time ever...I think it was excellent. I had a blast!!! I didn't think I would stay the whole day and night there but I did...right until "Hmong Tsis Hlub Hmoob Leej Twg Tseem Yuav Hlub Hmoob" was sang and done with it. I can't wait til next year's Hmong Music Festival!!!!!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Solemn Wind

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
For holding if for the very time ever in the history of the Hmong...I think it was excellent. I had a blast!!! I didn't think I would stay the whole day and night there but I did even though I was one of the older spectator there. Hey I love music!!! Yes, I stay right until "Hmoob Tsis Hlub Hmoob Leej Twg Tseem Yuav Hlub Hmoob" was sang and done with. I can't wait til next year's Hmong Music Festival!!!!!

Offline autumnbreeze

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
i went there. not what i had expected at all. there was a LOT of little kids there, not as many older people like myself. not a lot of people when i was there and there was only two booths for food so the lines were long. i enjoyed the fashion show and the dances. i thought the dancers were really talented. i also love the few singers that sang too. other than that, there was really nothing to do or to watch. a lot of booth around, but they were boring. we left after a few hours. i think it was more fun at night and there were probably more people and more artists at night as well. :dontknow: i hope next year will be better with more people and more things to do.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:18:26 PM by autumnbreeze »

JakeSnake

For doing it the very first time ever...I think it was excellent. I had a blast!!! I didn't think I would stay the whole day and night there but I did...right until "Hmong Tsis Hlub Hmoob Leej Twg Tseem Yuav Hlub Hmoob" was sang and done with it. I can't wait til next year's Hmong Music Festival!!!!!

Missed it bro.  Fill us more as to the performers, estimated attendance.  Pictures would help too.

yamchild

I had a blast there too!  I was also there all day from when it started with the opening band New Breed until the end with the closing band Reflections and the artists collaboration.  I got a major sun burn too.  The MC was great.  Hangza was that his name?  He kept the crowd going.  All the artist's performances were awesome.  I agree with the MC when he said that Fresno is the Hmong Hollywood! 

I was there for the love of music to support the Bands and artists.  I loved the vibe there.  The crowd was great and really supportive of all the performers.  I'm glad that it was a young crowd and not like a typical Hmong concert or an OG party where sometimes it seems the band is just in the background.  Also glad that it wasn't like your typical Hmong new year.  Although yep they do need some more food booths.

The vocals, the musicians, the dancing during the performances was so awesome...I think this music festival really upped the ante in the quality of performances for Hmong musicians.  This should be the Festival that Hmong bands and singers want to peform at.

I got a few videos but only the early bands and performers because too bad my battery died.  I was so sad.  I'll upload them here later.

I love Hmong music!  Go H-Pop!  I can't wait for next year either!

Like this post: +1

yamchild

To those who were in Fresno and didn't go... you all missed out on one of the greatest Hmong events ever! 

The rock bands rocked it, the pop singers belted out the songs, the r&b singers were awesome & actually had back up dancers. 

New Breed

Cyrus Yang

Billy Xiong

Tee Vang

Shoe Box Confessions

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:55:53 AM by yamchild »

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
240p, we meet agian.

They all sound nice, finally folks are able to get people who can get the level's right.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline Solemn Wind

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Yamchild I'm glad you had a great time. I would be happy and willing to pay $50 just to watch the Hmong music show ALONE just like the one we've just been to at the first Hmong Music Festival. Like Hanza said, the next day we should call all our friends and tell them they really missed out on one of the greatest Hmong event/experience ever.

This Hmong Music Festival is so amazing at so many levels. First of all, it's unlike any Hmong concert or party I've ever been to and the energy level is intense. You not only get to see and experience great singing but almost all the artists put on an amazing theatrical show. It's obvious to see that they put in all their heart and energy into their singing/show. I don't know if you saw the band where one of the guitarist smash his guitar. I thought that was super intense, comical, and entertaining!!!

There's so many things I want to say but before I forget I just want to say that I feel super impressed and proud of my Hmong people after witnessing the first annual HMF. Even though we as a people haven't been here that long in the United States we've come so far and there's living proof at HMF. I'm so happy and thrilled to see the many talented interracial bands and knowing that the frontman/woman, leader, vocalist of the band is a Hmong. Alley of Fields of Prey reminds me so much of Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac. Her voice sounds kind of line Stevie Nicks me...and seeing Proto-J with his great moves with so many black people on stage and knowing that Proto -J is the star is just exciting and comical at the same time.

Oh...and Hanza got it all wrong. Britney Spears is the Hmong Jade Lee. O0

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:17:07 AM by Solemn Wind »

JakeSnake

Yamchild - Thanks for the videos bro.  I must be in the older generation because I don't know most of these artists except the band from Oroville lol.  They need to separate newbies from legends next year.  How was the attendance bro?  The weather was too nice to get away to Vegas for me haha.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
I was suppose to attend but had to switch over for last minute emergency meeting for a funeral for someone since they told us that we got the life insurance for that person so they will let our side deal with it.

kouasupra

I was suppost to go and take pictures, but unfortunately I found out I couldn't bring my "professional" camera inside so I decided not to go at the last minute. BTW, did anybody else bring "professional" cameras in to take pictures besides the staff there?

Elfy

Super awesome. I heard there was like a thousand people. I was involved in a performance with a sold out show here in Milwaukee too of a thousand, so that's that. I wasn't there. But yes, I heard great news about this event. Hats off! I think we as a community are starting to understand and get the message. To more future festivals. This is the beginning. Great work. Woohoo!

yamchild

Jake the snake...next year you should make the trip to come for the festival.  At first the attendance was a little low.  But as the day went on more people came.

Elfy, wished you could've been there!

Next year I hope they make it a 2 day festival.  For more music and more bands and performances!  Where else could you see so many Hmong bands and singers performing in one place.  This should be the event that Hmong bands and musicians want to perform at.

One of the acts I really liked was Hilltribe from MN.  They were a really fun rap group and really got the crowd going.  It was so fun watching them!  I'm still trying to find video's of their performance on youtube.

For4th Seal.  They really put on a show.  The singer was sexxy and she rocked the stage with her singing.  The guitar players were awesome.  This video really does her no justice.

A little compliation of some of the later acts...

I'm glad the last band Reflections closed out their set with the song "Kwv Tij Hmoob".  And it was epic when Za Moua showed up on stage!  I was almost crying.  OMG.

Big ups to the MC!  Hanza!  He kept the crowd going for 12 hours!

I could talk about this festival for ever.  I'm still on a high from watching the show. (^_^)

yamchild

Solemn Wind, I'm like you... I was super impressed and so happy for the Hmong community that we had so much talent to feature.  Yes I could go on forever talking about the Hmong Music Festival and gush on and on about it.  I'm still on such a super high from attending the festival and seeing all the performances.

Yes I saw that one band Last Minute as they smashed their guitar.  Also first time I ever saw a Hmong band play with no shirts on and try to light their guitar on fire too.  Alley Her had a great rock voice!  Loved her pink hair.  For4th Seal's singer also has a great rock voice.

About the dancing let's see the singer Pagnia Xiong had a guy in red body paint come dance on stage with her! It was weird but fascinating at the same time.  And then Pagnia Lo was such a great dancer during her song!  Very sexy although I think she was lypsynching through her set most of the time.  Proto J and Jade Lee also had some great dance moves during their set as they sang and danced at the same time.  Very Impressed.

Was so happy to see Julie Fang from Whyteshadows performing her old songs.   She had such a cute personality and liked it when she was throwing the cd's into the crowd and they landed only like 3 feet from the stage.  That was so funny.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:19:19 AM by yamchild »

HunnayDew

From the pictures that I saw and reviews, I wished that I was there!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements