Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 227116 times)

No regret

Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2012, 09:52:28 PM »
just

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:37:11 PM by No regret »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2012, 03:32:33 PM »
Anyone know what's the stndard electrical outlet used in Laos?  Ive tried looking it up and they use so many.   :-\

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »
just more pretty pics of vang vieng laos

WOW... Again, these are some awesome pictues. You're making me restless, I want to go now!!!! Man, I am so excited.

Thanks again for sharing. BTW - How far is Vang Vieng from Vientiane? Can I do a day trip there and back or will this require a over night stay???

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2012, 06:04:17 PM »
Anyone know what's the stndard electrical outlet used in Laos?  Ive tried looking it up and they use so many.   :-\

*** Voltage/Electronic Devices for Laos***

MenyuamHmoob - Great Topic

Here is what I found and I hope it helps you too...

Laos' electrical voltage (Wall Plugs) for those Hmong household that have it is 220 V, 2 prong plug. Standard US electrical outlets is typical 110 V, 3 prong plug. (See link below for exact picture)

Please keep in mind that most high end Laptops, Digital Cameras, and Cell Phones have a 220V/110V compatible charger. ( You can tell by looking at your charger, it will say in small fine prints - 220v/110v rated.)

All other electronic devices (Cheap Items) hair dryers, some portable TVs, Cell Phones, and curling irons are only rated at 110v and is not compatible with the outlet in LAOS. You will set your relatives house on fire if you use it!

If you have a device that is NOT supported, you will need to buy a 220V to 110V converter. It is about 10.00 dollars from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Simran-SMF-200-Converter-International-Countries/dp/B000W9DJ1Q

I have a HP EliteBook and it can use both 220V or 110V... I normally charge my digital camera off the USB port, so I should be fine. Hope this helps you!

Like this post: +1

No regret

« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2012, 12:55:17 AM »
WOW... Again, these are some awesome pictues. You're making me restless, I want to go now!!!! Man, I am so excited.

Thanks again for sharing. BTW - How far is Vang Vieng from Vientiane? Can I do a day trip there and back or will this require a over night stay???

Good things don't come easy, it's a good 4 hours of grueling bus ride away from Vientiane.  But there's nice vip bus with air condition to take, if you don't want to take the scrubby cheap bus.

Vang vieng has become a very popular tourist attraction, that's why you see all the white folks from all over the world hanging out there.  There's this dreamy little town nearby the river where most of the tourist stayed at.  The people there would stayed up all night, walking around and doing what ever.  There's many internet cafes, restuarants, bars there as well....and most of bars and restaurants plays that old sitcom "friends" all day and all night long.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:16:50 AM by No regret »

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »
I dont have Sprint phone service so SIM cards are not an option for me.  Anyone ever traveled to Laos before and know if one may buy a cheap, pay-as-you-go cell phone while you're in Laos?

How much does it cost? Can you recieve calls from the states? etc?

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »
I dont have Sprint phone service so SIM cards are not an option for me.  Anyone ever traveled to Laos before and know if one may buy a cheap, pay-as-you-go cell phone while you're in Laos?

How much does it cost? Can you recieve calls from the states? etc?

MenyuamHmoob - Another good topic.

***Cell Phones in Laos***

I sent my cousin my old IPHONE which I hacked and he was able to use. He purchased a Laos' SIM card and it works just fine. If you're a geek like me, you should be able to so the same thing.

On your second question... YES There are PAY AS YOU GO Phones in Laos. Prices range from 150,000 Kip to about 400,000 Kips... 20 to 50 US dollars. In Laos, as I was told, they DO NOT have monthly plans. Everyone is on pay as you go plans and the streets are litter with vendors who will sale you "Phone Cards". The Phone cards starts at 10,000 Kips and up... Calling internation (SEND/RECEIVE to the US) is possible. But keep in mind that the rates are crazy, a 10,000 Kip card will only give you a few minutes, about 5-10 minutes of talk time.

Phones calls from the US to LAOS is possible, depending on your plan and if it has international coverages to Laos. If NOT, you will need to purchase a phone card from your local asian store to call Laos. Prices for these cards range from 5 to 10 dollars and usually has 2-3 hours of talk time.

Calling Laos : 011 856 20 XXXX XXXX (cell/mobile phones) or 011 856 30 XXX XXXX (house phones). *** Please note that cell/mobile numbes are 8 digits and require the "20" code, while house phones only have 7 digits and requires the "30" code.

Hope this helps.

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2012, 01:20:22 PM »
Thanks for all the info Lonely! One more topic...

**Access to CASH MONEY!!!***
I've been told to just carry my stash with me the whole time and just buy a body wallet to keep all my money with me at once.  But common sense tells me I'd be stupid to carry 5k-10k on my body, in a country where i dont know wtf is going on.  Heck i dont dare carry it here in the US where I know what Im doing.

Here's what I'm thinking;

1. Withdraw all the money i will need from my bank and hand it over to one of my trusted family members here in the states.  Only take 2k-3k.  When I need more, call and ask them to send me some through Western Union/Monegram.  (It'll be easy, considering all the OG's send money so easily to their mistresses there, lol. Sorry, couldn't resist, No pun intended).

2. Traveler's Check, although this is known to me super costly!

3. Wire transfer from my Bank, this will also cost a fortune!

What do you guys think?  :-\

No regret

« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2012, 01:36:37 PM »
have no fear, it just makes it even more exciting to carry 10k around in your stomach pouch. jk ;D

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:41:11 PM by No regret »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »
Thanks for all the info Lonely! One more topic...

**Access to CASH MONEY!!!***
I've been told to just carry my stash with me the whole time and just buy a body wallet to keep all my money with me at once.  But common sense tells me I'd be stupid to carry 5k-10k on my body, in a country where i dont know wtf is going on.  Heck i dont dare carry it here in the US where I know what Im doing.

Here's what I'm thinking;

1. Withdraw all the money i will need from my bank and hand it over to one of my trusted family members here in the states.  Only take 2k-3k.  When I need more, call and ask them to send me some through Western Union/Monegram.  (It'll be easy, considering all the OG's send money so easily to their mistresses there, lol. Sorry, couldn't resist, No pun intended).

2. Traveler's Check, although this is known to me super costly!

3. Wire transfer from my Bank, this will also cost a fortune!

What do you guys think?  :-\

MenyuamHmoob - All good topics  today!!

***Money In Laos***

1. Yes, This is possible and you would have to trust the person here with your money. But keep in mind, that this can become costly too... 10 dollars or more per transaction.

2. My cousion who works and lives in Vientiane says that traveler's checks are a hassel. Only a few places in Vientiane will honor them and you can forget about it if you go into the outlying areas.

3. Wire Transfer... again, only good in very few places in Vientiane and can cost a fortune.

Personally, I think a combonation of all the things you listed above is needed. Please keep in mind that the official policy for LAOS (Border Customs) is that you can only legally carry 500.00 USD into the country. Not sure of how strict they are on this point. I plan on taking 2k to 3k on my body... the rest I will leave with my brother. If I should need more, I can always call him to Money Gram them to me. Also NOTE that if you're in the Vientiane area only, there are a number of ATM machines you can use. As with any vacation, just beware of you surrounding and the exchange rate before you use your atm card and to notify your bank before you leave. Banks don't like to see ATM usage out of the US.

At this time, I would advise against Wire Transfers to yourself and avoid Travelers Checks.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »
Menyuamhmoob, do what I do. Stick it inside my bra. hehehe. Btw, my sister and my bil visited thailand and they were able to use their regular cell phone to call home..

Sweet Tears... 3-4k in stuff into  your bra!!!!????? MMMMMMM.... those would be some nice looking tatas!  :) :)

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2012, 02:42:23 PM »
I guess its going to to be a combination of carrying some money with me and having my family send it to me via MoneyGram/Western Union.  Are you sure about the $500 limit you can bring with  you into Laos?  Thats an awful small amount considering you're traveling abroad. I will have to look more into it.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »
I guess its going to to be a combination of carrying some money with me and having my family send it to me via MoneyGram/Western Union.  Are you sure about the $500 limit you can bring with  you into Laos?  Thats an awful small amount considering you're traveling abroad. I will have to look more into it.

http://laos.visahq.com/customs/

Here is the official verbage and document on the subject... but Like I said earlier, I am not sure how strict they are in regulating this rule. Funny enough, you can bring 500 cigarettes, 2 bottles of wine, and 1 bottle of liquer ( for me, a bottle of Patron for my cousin). All without import duties.

BTW -When are you leaving???

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 03:47:54 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

No regret

« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2012, 09:46:29 PM »
Wow that's a lot of spend money (15k) to waste and throw away over there.
That's why no matter what, Laos isn't going to stop tourism...they be like, please work hard, save your money and bring lots of it to us in just a few weeks. :D

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2012, 08:15:52 AM »
@Real_Man...thanks for the manly advice. lol.  But I'm not sure if i would want to carry 15k with me in a third world country like Laos.  Heck, anyone can rob you and that'd be the end of the story.  BTW, 40 Cond.ms? Wow!!! What a beast!!! lol.

@HmongLonelyGuy, We're leaving around Mid-November. PM myself and we can maybe meet up in Laos somewhere.  :)

Advertisements