Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 227013 times)

Gawmp

Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2012, 01:01:19 PM »
You guys need to stop scaring LonelyHmongGuy with your laos stories. :2funny: :2funny:

;D well he did want travel tips and this is something that he needs to be aware off too. It doesn't mean that he has to marry someone from there and screw them over for them to do this, but anyone can be poisoned for various reasons. My suggestion to him is to only eat food that are cooked infront of him or at his presence. Only drink drinks that he himself opened.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Gawmp

« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2012, 01:05:59 PM »
Did you not read his reason why he wanted to go visit laos? LOL He's not going there to meet any girls. He already have me here in the USA! :2funny: :2funny: O0

;D oh yo....ces tu siab rau koj lawm os...he might come back with a gal over there waiting for him. I've heard and know too many guys that said the same thing but came back with a gal over there...lol...

kuv mam li pray for neb kom txhob yog li ntawd.

baddabing

« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »
You guys need to stop scaring LonelyHmongGuy with your laos stories. :2funny: :2funny:

He's gonna go there being a stingy azzz and won't even buy anything or give his relatives a dollar; they will make him a special drink said, take this it's very good for you hahaha. ;D

Just kidding. :)

No need to fear, if you go there peacefully nothing is going happen. O0

baddabing

« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2012, 01:16:25 PM »
;D well he did want travel tips and this is something that he needs to be aware off too. It doesn't mean that he has to marry someone from there and screw them over for them to do this, but anyone can be poisoned for various reasons. My suggestion to him is to only eat food that are cooked infront of him or at his presence. Only drink drinks that he himself opened.

By saying that, you will scare him. ;D

There's nothing to be afraid of, nobody will just want to kill you or poison....just be aware that some street vendor food or un-hygeinic  food can make you sick, so choose your selection of food wisely.  I would recommend getting a Typhio Shot before going there, that's to help your body deal with food over there cus it's not the same as the food here.

baddabing

« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2012, 01:21:11 PM »

I don't believe for one minute that he's the type like that. He's pretty generous and has a big heart.  O0

I have an elder lady relative who's in her late 60's.....she is one cheap/stingy person, she went there came back and told us stories of how she only gave 1 dollar to this relative person that she knew over there.  I told my mom to tell her, next time just don't give anything at all, it's better that way then to only give 1 dollar.  The least she could give is around 20 dollars.

baddabing

« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2012, 01:22:56 PM »

I don't believe for one minute that he's the type like that. He's pretty generous and has a big heart.  O0

Now you're gonna make him give a lot, let me contact some of relatives over there to go greet and welcome him into their homes. ;D

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:41:28 PM by baddabing »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2012, 01:50:11 PM »
;D oh yo....ces tu siab rau koj lawm os...he might come back with a gal over there waiting for him. I've heard and know too many guys that said the same thing but came back with a gal over there...lol...

kuv mam li pray for neb kom txhob yog li ntawd.

WOW... thread has gone wild since I last check.

Sweet Tears - Yes, indeed,  I do have you here already. No one dares to cross you!  :knuppel2:

Baddabing - I don't personally know of anyone who was poisoned in Laos or Thailand. I have heard of a couple cases in which their deaths were "suspcious", but nothing more. In those situation, the traveller was by themself and both were females. I do know first hand where someone was beaten up and hurt seriously. He was an older gentlemen who acted like a jerk and was flirting with a girl that already has a Hmong-Lao boyfriend.

So... a couple of things about me since everyone seems to be making accusations. Firstly, I am single, NOT married, legally or otherwise in the Hmong culture. Secondly, I don't have anyone lined up over there and I don't plan on meeting anyone there. I grew up here, educated here and for all purposes, would probably not be going back if my mother did not passed away. As for Laos, I seriously doubt anyone from the US can start a meaningful relationship with someone there over a 3 week period. If you do... better save up for marriage counseling and a good divorce lawyer, because you will need it later.

For the sake of arguement... I am sure most Hmong and Laotian are good people and have only good wishes for those of us that do travel there. On occasion, I am sure there are a few jerks and A*holes who will do things that are not appropriate. But that can be said of anyone and anywhere you go... if you're a jerk who disrespects the local culture, acts like a fool and throws your weight around, YES, bad things will happen to you. It happens here, you have seen it... throw the wrong gang sign or wear the wrong color at New Year and you get shot at. Don't tell me you have not seen this before.

Bottom Line... go with good intentions, go with good will and be respectful, nothing bad will happen to you.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:49:21 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2012, 02:09:49 PM »
By saying that, you will scare him. ;D

There's nothing to be afraid of, nobody will just want to kill you or poison....just be aware that some street vendor food or un-hygeinic  food can make you sick, so choose your selection of food wisely.  I would recommend getting a Typhio Shot before going there, that's to help your body deal with food over there cus it's not the same as the food here.

LOL.... NOT Scared... Yet. Good lead off to our next Topic...

***Medical Exam and Shots for Laos***

According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) The following Vaccinations are recommended for Laos.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/laos.htm#vaccines

Routine  - Recommended if you are not up-to-date with routine shots, such as measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) vaccine, poliovirus vaccine, etc.

Hepatitis A or immune globulin (IG) - Recommended for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in countries with an intermediate or high level of hepatitis A virus infection (see map) where exposure might occur through food or water. Cases of travel-related hepatitis A can also occur in travelers to developing countries with "standard" tourist itineraries, accommodations, and food consumption behaviors.

Hepatitis B -  Recommended for all unvaccinated persons traveling to or working in countries with intermediate to high levels of endemic HBV transmission (see map), especially those who might be exposed to blood or body fluids, have sexual contact with the local population, or be exposed through medical treatment (e.g., for an accident).

Typhoid -  Recommended for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in Southeast Asia, especially if staying with friends or relatives or visiting smaller cities, villages, or rural areas where exposure might occur through food or water.

Japanese encephalitis  - Recommended if you plan to visit rural farming areas and under special circumstances, such as a known outbreak of Japanese encephalitis, see country-specific information.

Rabies -  Recommended for travelers spending a lot of time outdoors, especially in rural areas, involved in activities such as bicycling, camping, or hiking. Also recommended for travelers with significant occupational risks (such as veterinarians), for long-term travelers and expatriates living in areas with a significant risk of exposure, and for travelers involved in any activities that might bring them into direct contact with bats, carnivores, and other mammals. Children are considered at higher risk because they tend to play with animals, may receive more severe bites, or may not report bites. 

I had my checkup last week with my doctor... I was told to get the H1N1 flu shot and a booster shot. I have been a good boy and was up to date on everything else.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:47:27 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

NceegVaj

« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2012, 09:02:46 AM »
Cool.  My first reaction is to hook up with someone at tojsiab.com and then have them guide you thru your dream vacation !!

On a serious note:

1.  Never respond to people who claims to represent where you bought the ticket from that your $$ is short on the ticket and need to make up there then.

2. Don't try to speak Lao; either English or Hmong.  They will know you are Hmong and rip you off while in Laos.

3.  Stay away from tooooo many cousins.  YOur $5,000 will disappear in no time.

4.  Those young girls and boys; stay way politely (unless you intended to ruin them); Don't victimize them.  they are naive and careless what's right---> $$$ in their eyes.

5.  Watch our for broken promisess

6.  Call me when you there...we miss you in PH board. (okay, maybe not that extreme).

------
First of All, I am not a travel agent and I am not out to offend anyone. Please don't have any preconceived ideas of what I may or may not do while I am over there. This is my first time to Laos and I will be visiting my grandmother on my mother’s side. I am just trying to document the process I am and will be going thru. Follow my thread me if you want and if this helps you too, than my mission was accomplished.

So… to start off, about 5 years ago, after my mother’s death, I had an awakening. Her mortality made me question my life and who I was. In my search for myself, I realize, I needed to reconnect with my family including those relatives still back in Laos. Well, this year I am going to do it… I am going back to Laos, a place I left when I was just 3 years old.
1.  First thing first. I verified I have enough Paid Time Off at work and I have money for this trip.  Have my passport and importantly, it has more than 6 months left before expiration. Checked on PTO, about 300 hours left. Checked on cash on hand, about 4500.00. (Not sure if this will be enough.)

2. Requested time off at work and received approval for 3 weeks in December. Hmong New Years in Phonsavan is Nov. 14, 2012 and in KM52 is Dec. 14, 2012, according to the Hmong calender.

3. Started to look at Airline tickets back to Laos about a month ago. I will be flying from San Francisco (airport code SFO) to Vientiane (airport code VTE). Others codes of interest for Southeast Asia are TPE (Taipei), HAN (Hanoi), BKK (Bangkok), CNX (Chaing Mai), ICN (Seoul) and LPQ (Luang Prabang).

Very important note… All of my research seems to suggest that the best prices on international flights to Laos are in the Winter and are made 3-4 months before your travel date. In addition,  you must fly out on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to get the best prices.

Vayama.com and Cheapoair.com are two of the best sites for flights to Laos and Thailand, I am not using a travel agent for my trip. Keep in mind that these prices are cheap, but they ARE NOT transferable or refundable. Please also make sure that you have the correct names when booking... EXACT and CORRECT spellings. Changes are not allow after booking.

On August 30, 2012, the best prices for Laos were on Cheapoair.com. Please see attached screen shot. (HELP.... How do I attached PIC?)
932.52 per person. SFO to ICN to HAN to VTE.

Stay tuned for HOTEL updates and Visa preparations.. .

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2012, 04:22:12 PM »
Cool.  My first reaction is to hook up with someone at tojsiab.com and then have them guide you thru your dream vacation !!

On a serious note:

1.  Never respond to people who claims to represent where you bought the ticket from that your $$ is short on the ticket and need to make up there then.

2. Don't try to speak Lao; either English or Hmong.  They will know you are Hmong and rip you off while in Laos.

3.  Stay away from tooooo many cousins.  YOur $5,000 will disappear in no time.

4.  Those young girls and boys; stay way politely (unless you intended to ruin them); Don't victimize them.  they are naive and careless what's right---> $$$ in their eyes.

5.  Watch our for broken promisess

6.  Call me when you there...we miss you in PH board. (okay, maybe not that extreme).

------
First of All, I am not a travel agent and I am not out to offend anyone. Please don't have any preconceived ideas of what I may or may not do while I am over there. This is my first time to Laos and I will be visiting my grandmother on my mother’s side. I am just trying to document the process I am and will be going thru. Follow my thread me if you want and if this helps you too, than my mission was accomplished.

So… to start off, about 5 years ago, after my mother’s death, I had an awakening. Her mortality made me question my life and who I was. In my search for myself, I realize, I needed to reconnect with my family including those relatives still back in Laos. Well, this year I am going to do it… I am going back to Laos, a place I left when I was just 3 years old.
1.  First thing first. I verified I have enough Paid Time Off at work and I have money for this trip.  Have my passport and importantly, it has more than 6 months left before expiration. Checked on PTO, about 300 hours left. Checked on cash on hand, about 4500.00. (Not sure if this will be enough.)

2. Requested time off at work and received approval for 3 weeks in December. Hmong New Years in Phonsavan is Nov. 14, 2012 and in KM52 is Dec. 14, 2012, according to the Hmong calender.

3. Started to look at Airline tickets back to Laos about a month ago. I will be flying from San Francisco (airport code SFO) to Vientiane (airport code VTE). Others codes of interest for Southeast Asia are TPE (Taipei), HAN (Hanoi), BKK (Bangkok), CNX (Chaing Mai), ICN (Seoul) and LPQ (Luang Prabang).

Very important note… All of my research seems to suggest that the best prices on international flights to Laos are in the Winter and are made 3-4 months before your travel date. In addition,  you must fly out on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to get the best prices.

Vayama.com and Cheapoair.com are two of the best sites for flights to Laos and Thailand, I am not using a travel agent for my trip. Keep in mind that these prices are cheap, but they ARE NOT transferable or refundable. Please also make sure that you have the correct names when booking... EXACT and CORRECT spellings. Changes are not allow after booking.

On August 30, 2012, the best prices for Laos were on Cheapoair.com. Please see attached screen shot. (HELP.... How do I attached PIC?)
932.52 per person. SFO to ICN to HAN to VTE.

Stay tuned for HOTEL updates and Visa preparations.. .

NceegVaj and Everyone who has been on this Thread...

Thank you so much for all your good advices... I will keep them all with me as I go. All of you guys will be in my thoughts as I travel there... and so all of you will be with me. I am a little scared as the time is approaching fast and I am very nervous... but at the same time, I am very excited.

I will try to keep everyone up to date on where I am and who I am with if and when I get on the net.

I will be leaving in 4 weeks... Still packing and making sure I am under the 50 lbs limit.

baddabing

« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2012, 05:44:13 PM »
Let me add, it's best to try to blend in as a local there and don't act like you're a tourist because folks there will want to rip you off or charge you more for things.  Example something they sell there for a dollar only, they will charge you 2 dollars for it becus they know you're a tourst from another country and have money.

This applies to the girls too, they will treat you extra special, even if you're 60 years old and suffering from crazy foot attack. ;D

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:46:40 PM by baddabing »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2012, 12:57:21 PM »
Let me add, it's best to try to blend in as a local there and don't act like you're a tourist because folks there will want to rip you off or charge you more for things.  Example something they sell there for a dollar only, they will charge you 2 dollars for it becus they know you're a tourst from another country and have money.

This applies to the girls too, they will treat you extra special, even if you're 60 years old and suffering from crazy foot attack. ;D

Baddabing... LOL

I am only in my late 30s, don't know a single word of Laos, can barely speak Hmong and Single to top it off... does that mean I have an extra large target on my forehead? They must see me coming and are saying... SUCKER!!! LOL.

Seriously, thanks for the advice. I will be carefull over there.

baddabing

« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »
heard of a story, this old guy was all prepared and excited about his trip to laos and to go meet his young lover there.  Unfortunately just as he got off the plane over there, he got the crazy foot attack syndrome and his whole trip was ruin, he couldn't walk anymore.

This other story of two elderly women going there needing wheel chair assistance to make their flight connections, but by the time they get to the airport in Laos, the wheel chair assistants couldn't find them anymore, they were gone.  Turns out their boyfriends were there waiting for them, and they didn't need the wheel chair anymore and quickly ran off with their boyfriends.

What's really funny is these really old (60/70 years old) ladies going there to play and mess around.  And their boyfriends there would be horrified when they actually going there.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2012, 10:05:22 AM »
***Laos Border Customs***

I am hearing a couple of things from people who were recently in Laos...

1. If you carry a laptop, video camera, or electronic device on your person... the "customs guys" will trip to get a bribe off you.

My question is this... is this true? How do you get around it, or possible ways of getting around this corruption? Or is this just part of doing business in Laos?

2. The "courtesy Baggage handlers" will aslo try to get some money off you.

Again, is this true? How much are they asking for? Just Tips? Typically, in the us, Each baggage is 2.00 per bag? Same for Laos?

Please let me know...

baddabing

« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2012, 07:55:15 PM »
Badbagingingingng... you are one extreme traveler! :2funny: :2funny:  I don't think anyone would hire you to be their travel host.

what do you, mean? I htink people would love me as travel guide or advisor, cause I have the inside knowlegde to everything.  Of course some of the things I will only share it with you secretly, like which town has all the really hot girls, which town won't charge you a full 5k for marrying their daughters, etc.  And even which kinds a of girls are only out to scam you for your u.s. dollars. ;D O0

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 05:36:21 PM by baddabing »

Advertisements