Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 227009 times)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2012, 12:51:08 PM »
It can become very stressful because you want to bring them stuffs but then you are limited to only so much bags and pounds. Just pack as much as you can. If you can't bring all of it, maybe tell your relatives that you will send it to them after you get back or buy it for them while you're in Laos. Do they have mall there? LOL

LHG, the request for a camping tent is probably for hunting. :D

Good luck! O0

ST - From what I have heard, there is a Mall in Vientiane called "Morning Market". It has 3 or 4 stories and have some of the latest electronics, clothes, shoes...etc. There are also plans for another Mall in Vientiane, a huge modern mall that is said to come on line in 2013 sometime.

But right now, as it stands, alot of the things sold at the Morning Market are made in China and are poor quality. Hence, the worst things here in the USA is way better than anything they have.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2012, 10:25:22 AM »
ST -

Funny you should mentioned this... This is not the half of it. With all the gifts for the family, both my bags are full. I am having a really hard time keeping my bags under 50 lbs.

***Packing for Laos***

This is kind of mean for me to say and I am sure most of you aren't like me... but DANG, Once the family in Laos knew I was coming, everyone has been calling and asking for me to bring them stuff. NOT expense stuff, just everyday things like jackets for the kids, digital cameras, batteries, flashlights, towels... the strangest request was for a camping tent.  My point is, all of this stuff takes up a lot of room and weighs alot. I am having a really hard time keeping my bags under the airline regulations.

I have consider shipping the stuff over there... but DANG, that cost alot too. I may have to take some of my stuff out and pack less for myself.

You guys have this issue?

You can do a little shopping over there when it come to those gifts......... I'm sure it is cheaper over there.  I remember when my sister was an exchange student in Thailand.  She went to visit our only uncle (mom's only sibling/brother)........she got one of the daughter a baby doll........ The following year my parents went to visited and she still drag that doll so tightly all ragging in photo.  I told my mom I was going to buy a few and ship it over there but decide if they have it over there they can just go buy it but at the same time you think if you give them $$$ they won't go buy what you use so it is just better to ship it.  I might think about doing it this year for X-Mas to them but then my uncle got 3 wives so imagine how many girls I have to get it for along with the daughter and son who are married....... .kids......... ..

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 24, 2012, 07:24:07 PM »
***See you guys in 4 weeks***

Finished packing last night... both bags are a little under 50 lbs each. Hopefully my home scale is somewhat accurate and I don't have to repack once I get to the airport or leave anything behind.

I just wanted to thank everyone for contributing to this blog... of course, some of you were more helpful than others...  ;D. Nonetheless, everything  that has been written will be remember and taken to heart. I will also stay connected, when and if I can get on the internet.

Heading out the door now, talk to you all soon.

sinister357

« Reply #183 on: November 24, 2012, 09:53:16 PM »
Seriously? why do you need to take toilet paper.. plenty of sticks around.. :2funny:   j/k But I'm sure they have toilet paper that you can buy?
yeah..i hear thats what they do over there...they sit in front of the public rest room and charge you by the perforated sections. ;D

IB THIAB NEEJ

« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »
Good luck dude!   O0

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 28, 2012, 01:54:30 AM »
I made it!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Wooohoooo

14 hours from San Francisco to Korea... Good Food on Korea Airline and we had two meals, Bathrooms were cramp, Leg Room/seats were Ok. Please make a note to bring a larger personal pillow. IPOD worked great, kept me company half way thru my trip before it die. Beautiful stewardesses.

Hanoi Airport... Small, two story, lots of little shops with everything from books, pearls, scrafs, handmand leather and a Burger King. 6 dollar for a Whopper and 10.00 for a combo. I had a bowl of PHO and a Coke for 5.00.Very small with very little meat (2 bite sizes)

Vientiane Airport... Smallest International Airport I have ever seen. Went thru Customs without much difficulty, went down to pick up my luggage and meet my cousins. Weather was perfect, warm and sunny... sweet smell of plumeria was in the air. There was a hint of humidity but very comfortable. Meet my cousins outside and had a cry fest then we rented a taxi, (motorcyle with 3 wheels and 2 bench seats on the back) and went to our hotel. Once at the hotel, we ate the boiled chickens my cousins brought with them. My first taste of Lao food, it was great!

Driving in Vientiane takes nerves, everyone and anyone will cross you and cut in front of you.... EVERYONE uses their horns. Lane changes happen when it happens, and everyone double parks. I thought we're crazy here in the US!

Today, we are resting,  after a visit to the Morning Market. Morning Market has two sections, a "new" and a "flea" market. Both have their appeals and their draw backs. Cheaper prices at the Flea market side.

Internet is extremely slow here... remember the dial up days, yup, that slow!

Tomorrow... Friendship Bride over to Thailand and Buddha Park. Talk to you guys soon!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:56:31 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 28, 2012, 01:55:03 AM »
Good luck dude!   O0

Thank you! Having a Great Time, wish you were here!

Like this post: +1

NceegVaj

« Reply #187 on: November 28, 2012, 08:59:39 AM »
I made it!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Wooohoooo

14 hours from San Francisco to Korea... Good Food on Korea Airline and we had two meals, Bathrooms were cramp, Leg Room/seats were Ok. Please make a note to bring a larger personal pillow. IPOD worked great, kept me company half way thru my trip before it die. Beautiful stewardesses.

Hanoi Airport... Small, two story, lots of little shops with everything from books, pearls, scrafs, handmand leather and a Burger King. 6 dollar for a Whopper and 10.00 for a combo. I had a bowl of PHO and a Coke for 5.00.Very small with very little meat (2 bite sizes)

Vientiane Airport... Smallest International Airport I have ever seen. Went thru Customs without much difficulty, went down to pick up my luggage and meet my cousins. Weather was perfect, warm and sunny... sweet smell of plumeria was in the air. There was a hint of humidity but very comfortable. Meet my cousins outside and had a cry fest then we rented a taxi, (motorcyle with 3 wheels and 2 bench seats on the back) and went to our hotel. Once at the hotel, we ate the boiled chickens my cousins brought with them. My first taste of Lao food, it was great!

Driving in Vientiane takes nerves, everyone and anyone will cross you and cut in front of you.... EVERYONE uses their horns. Lane changes happen when it happens, and everyone double parks. I thought we're crazy here in the US!

Today, we are resting,  after a visit to the Morning Market. Morning Market has two sections, a "new" and a "flea" market. Both have their appeals and their draw backs. Cheaper prices at the Flea market side.

Internet is extremely slow here... remember the dial up days, yup, that slow!

Tomorrow... Friendship Bride over to Thailand and Buddha Park. Talk to you guys soon!

Lonely,

Keep writing...tell us the leeches when you come upon them!!  the beautiful ones too [or handsomes for those who are gay as me]  !!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:07:58 AM by NceegVaj »

AOZ

« Reply #188 on: November 28, 2012, 09:07:59 AM »
hey that's awesome that you made it there!!   O0  don't forget the pictures!

i remember when my FIL was there a few years ago... he got to his hotel room... he left $400 in his pocket... give his clothes to cleaning lady to go wash for him.... w/o taking out his $$ and he lost $400 just like that. 

someday... when my daughter is ready to settle down... i think i'll ask her to take me to Laos with her.... to look for a vauv of course.... or maybe in China... i'd like to walk on that great wall ppl keep talking about.  hehehe. 

baddabing

« Reply #189 on: November 30, 2012, 04:06:58 PM »
hey that's awesome that you made it there!!   O0  don't forget the pictures!

i remember when my FIL was there a few years ago... he got to his hotel room... he left $400 in his pocket... give his clothes to cleaning lady to go wash for him.... w/o taking out his $$ and he lost $400 just like that. 

someday... when my daughter is ready to settle down... i think i'll ask her to take me to Laos with her.... to look for a vauv of course.... or maybe in China... i'd like to walk on that great wall ppl keep talking about.  hehehe.

what's the matter, why your daughter need to go to laos to find a husband?  She has no game or what?

baddabing

« Reply #190 on: November 30, 2012, 04:14:44 PM »
See it's really fun right?, especially if you're single and just going there for a good time.

No other feelings like it, especially when u first arrive there and seeing all the crazy and hectic traffics.

Laos is the ultimate fun destination. O0   For me, even places like Vegas can't compared to Laos.

Enjoy yourself and have lots of fun. 

I missed Laos, will go again sometime in the future.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:17:50 PM by baddabing »

AOZ

« Reply #191 on: December 01, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »
what's the matter, why your daughter need to go to laos to find a husband?  She has no game or what?

;D ;D

hey... everyone's doing it!  the men are marrying women from there... why can't my duaghter marry a husband from there? 

daughter's too young to get married right now... maybe in 5-10 years she'll be ready to settle down...  but mean while... why should she just settle for USA men?   :2funny:

focker

« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2012, 01:52:20 PM »
I got back Nov 23.  Took lots of pics, unfortunately none of girls.  Will have to go back during New Years in the next couple of years.

few random pics...

baddabing

« Reply #193 on: December 06, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »
cmon you can take nicer and better pictures than those.

I bet mr. lonelyhmongguy is busy exchanging u.s. dollars and chasing girls right now. ;D

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 08, 2012, 02:54:05 AM »
***Greetings from Laos***

Hello to all my PH buddies...

I am still alive! Yahoo. So, to just to update everyone, I have been here for a little a week now.

First 2 nights was spent in Vientiane visting Victory Park, Buhda Park and going to the Friendship Bridge. Vientiane smells with lots of smog and open sewage. An occassion breeze is always welcome. The temperature is still HOT!!!!!!!!!! Humidity is high and you fell like you need a bath every 4 hours. But I love it, I am taking it all in. The Lao people are extremely friendly and only a few understands English. Hand gestures are the way to go here, just point to what you want to eat, where you want to go and what you want to buy.

We left Vientiane for Nong Hai on days 3 and spent the rest of our time in a small town... Puusan. Beautiful country, dotted with lime stone mountains... the rice was just recently harvested. Less traffic and totally lay-back!

Note to everyone... road to Nong Hai is Dusty!!!! Don't wear tennis shoes and don't wear white socks.

I miss everyone every much and hope to post some pics soon. Internet connection here is super slow... so I will take to you guys in a few days.... LGH

Like this post: +1

Advertisements