Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 227126 times)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #210 on: December 26, 2012, 02:43:19 PM »
Sweet Tears, Tham Hluas Nkauj is part of getting to know the culture too right? lol.  Regarding the subject of making money in the country, I dont know the specifics, but from what i saw this is what I saw;

1. Be a high ranking official (political or judicial), make average income & live an above average life
2. Get a higher education and work in a profession which pays an avg. of $100-$300 per month. (very hard to do especially if you cannot afford college, and there's no student loans, etc.)
3. Open up a store and provide goods and services (You'll see that small restaurants & shops selling drinks/ non-perishable goods are everywhere).
4. Be a farmer, grow crops, livestocks and just be happy with the simple things u have.
5. Retire there, with your 401k & Social Security and live off of your $1000-$2000 per month. Thats plenty to get by at the moment. I dont know about the future.  This is my plan!!  ;D O0

MenyuamHmoob

You are correct... I have not given much thought about living in Laos, at least nothing pass my first impressions of being there. Like most things, I am sure once the excitement and the newness runs out, I will feel different about it. Also my current life and living situation is so stressful now that I don't think I can even make an intelligent decision. I want to visit Laos again in a few months and if I still feel the same way as I do now I will look more closely at my options of living there.

I did notice that alot of people wanted to come here... but as you hinted, the grass is not always greener on the other side. Yes, we do have more opportunities here to make money... but at what cost. We're always stressed out about things... our commute to work, losing our jobs, paying bills, and making ends meets. Over there, they don't have very much, but they also don't need very much and have very little stress. Everyday is a life of hard work, but it is all physical... no one shots their boss at work, there is no road rage, and you don't have to worry about making credit payments on time.

I think your 1000 to 2000k estimates for living in Laos is far too conservative. Seriously... my cousin who is a teacher, makes about 100 dollars a month and his family of 4 is doing just fine.

Realistically, if you had a house (10k to 15K), some land for farming (10-15k more) and a vehicle (10-20K more)... you would not need much else. Rice is about 300- 400 a year... utilities are 10-20 dollars a month. I would say you can probably live very comfortably for 300-400 a month, aside from your initial 30-40k investment.

I am hoping to visit Laos again this summer... if I still feel the same way. I will let you know. Between my 403B, the sale of my house and my stocks, I should have enough to move back. HEHEHEHEHEHEHE HEHeee.

LHG

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:26:57 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 26, 2012, 03:18:22 PM »
LonelyHmgGuy, thanks for sharing your Laos trip experience.

NceegVaj

« Reply #212 on: December 26, 2012, 07:44:53 PM »
@ MenyuamHmoob and others

I was trying to leave this subject as part of a detail report to be published later on... but since you guys are asking, I will touch on the subject of "hluas nkauj" in Laos now.

*** Disclaimer to all. Before I offend anyone, everything I am about to say is solely based on a few weeks of observation, so please don't put too much weight on my opinion ***

Perhaps it is traditions or maybe it is the way they were brought up, the fact is most of the girls in Laos are very friendly. "Friendly" in the sense that everyone suitor who comes calling, regardless of his age or appearance is given the same attention, repect and affection. We can debate all day whether these girls are geniune or if there are hidden agendas to their motives... agreements will vary I am sure. For now, let's leave it alone and take it for what is is... the young girls in Laos freely give attention to those who ask. For most older Hmong men from the US, I can see the attraction of going to Laos. Over there, a 40 year old male can feel like he is 18. Here, huge age differences are a taboo and there are laws to restrict such differences. Over there, it is common practice for a 16 year old laotian female to marry a 32 year old laotian male. You do that here and chances are, you will end up in jail.

Not to justify what these girls are doing is right or wrong... but just an observation on my part. In Laos, 10-12 year old girls are already expected to care for the household... they are responsible for tasks like cleaning, washing, cooking, babysitting and helping with rice farming duties. It is common for a 16 year old to be married and 18 year olds are consider old maids. Mentally, the girls in Laos mature much faster than girls of the same age in the US, I would say 14-16 years there are more like 20-22 year olds here. So a condition exists that if you have the choice to leave a life of poverty, would you? Given a choice to live a hard life of back breaking work or a chance to see new places, do new things and to help your immediate family, I think most of us would gladly take the path of least resistance.

So... what does all of this mean and how does it affect me personally? More importantly, would you believe me if I told you how I really feel? For me, there is not enough of me that is interested in the girls in Laos. I want more than a trophy sitting at home. I want depth and intelligent, I want someone who can match ideas with me... someone who can say yes or no and have the reasons to back them up. Yes, it would be fun in the bedroom... for awhile. But not everything happens in the bedroom and what happens when you're not in bed? Life is short, choose wisely.

LHG

Dang Lonely...you nailed it.  I want to marry you!! seriously!! That's what a MAN SHOULD think with his heart and not his dumb head.

Girls in Laos are mature early because of how they are brought up and put through.  It's been like that since my recollection.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2012, 12:21:09 PM »
One of my favorite movies is the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy and one of my favorite quotes from that movie is by Gandalf the White… saying good bye to his friends at the end of the movie, it reads: “My work is now finished. Here at last, on the shores of the sea... comes the end of our Fellowship. I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.”

Well, my time with you all has also come to an end, I started this blog five months ago in hopes of helping others like myself who has never travelled to Laos, but in the end, it was became something more. Ideas and thoughts were exchanged, knowledge and experiences were shared but most importantly, friendships grew from this blog… and for that I am most thankful. This blog turned out to be something more than I could hope to achieve. Thank you all… I will remember you all, always.

To summarize a few of the more important details of this blog:

1. Travel Arrangements – always check with a 2nd or 3rd source before booking.

A. Book 3-4 months before your travel dates to get the best prices.
B. Depart on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday for best prices.
C. CheapoAir.com and Vayama.com for air, Agoda.com for hotels.

2. US Embassy in Laos- Just in case you run into trouble and need help.

US Embassy in Vientiane
Location Laos 19 Rue Bartholonie, That Dam Road, Vientiane, Laos
Hours Mon - Wed: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm  and  1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Thu - Fri: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Contact Info Phone (856-20-2126 7055; 856 20-2126 7089

3. Passports and Visa

A. You must have at least 6 month left on your Passport to enter Laos.
B. Visas for Laos can be done before you enter Laos or upon Entry.

4. Border/Custom/Duties

A. Be prepare to “donate” 20-30 dollars to the customs clerk. He will not hassle you or check your bags, it’s well worth it.

5. What to Pack/Bring

A. Don’t bring anything white, dirt and dust is everywhere.
B. Jeans and heavy clothes are hard to wash by hand.
C. Sandals and shorts are a must, even in winter.
D. Memory and Charger for your cameras/camcorders.

6. Important Dates to Remember

A. New Years for Laos normally November for Phonsavan and December for KM52 and elsewhere. Check for the 1st day of the Lunar month.
B. November to February (Cool and best prices)
C. April to July (Hot and humid)
D. August to October (Rain and Wet)

7. Cash and Spending habits.

A. I ended up spending about 100.00 US dollars a day. Your habits and taste may very, but this is a good number to start with. Please plan accordingly.
B. 797,500 Kips to 100.00 US Dollar exchange rates. Exchange at the Airport for best deals. Small towns/villages are the worst.

8. Food and Drinks

A. Don’t drink public water, bottle water is safer and only cost 2000-3000 kips.
B. Don’t eat street vendor food if you have a sensitive stomach.
C. Fruits are in season all year round, but best in April and May. Enjoy!

9. Transportation in Laos.

A. VIP buses: KM52 to Vientiane (15,000 kips) KM52 to Phonsavan (95,000 kips). KM52 to Nong Hai (50,000 kips).
B. Scooters: 10 dollars per day.
C. Vans/Rental Cars: 40-50 US Dollars per day with driver included.
D. International Driving Permit needed if you plan to drive yourself. Obtain at AAA before you go.

10. Hotels and Lodging

A. Consider staying with relatives, you will enjoy the company and enjoy experience more.
B. 15 to 20 dollars per night, anything more and you’re wasting your money. Remember, this is Laos and you can bargain with them on prices.
C. Hot showers and Western style toilets for those that need it.

11. Areas of interest

A. Vientiane – Capital and most modern city in Laos. Busy streets and night life.
B. KM52 – Large Hmong Community with a Market and hotels. Quite town with very little night life.
C. Nong Hai – Smaill Hmong Community with a Market and hotels. Very distant town with no night life.
D. Vang Vieng – Where the white people hang out. Tourist trap with tubing, drinking, and over priced hotels. Huge night life and party town.
E. Phonsavan – Large Hmong Community with markets and hotels. Plains of Jars is a must. Lay back town with little night life.
F. Luang Prabang – Many temples and waterfalls parks. Great night life and pleasant. A cross between Vientiane and Phonsavan.

Social Issues to consider when you’re in Laos.

Please remember that you are a guest in a foreign communist country, a country that is years behind on social and economic issues. Yes, they are poor, but they are happy. They may not have very much, but they also don’t need very much. Life as they know it goes on without internets, TV shows or Wall Street. Don’t criticize what you don’t know or understand, rather go with an open mind and just enjoy the experience. Please be respectful and be polite in your actions and your words, you’re not in Kansas anymore Toto. Be cautious when spending money, no one likes a showoff, especially when you’re in public places. At the same time, please do support the local economy. Remember that they are making pennies compare to you and I.

Well, that is it for me… I hope that you have enjoyed this journey as much as I did. I hope you have also learned as much as I have. But most importantly, I truly hope I have inspired you to visit Laos as well. I did find myself there and so much more… Life, so it would seem, can happen at a slower pace and still be just as wonderful.  One last advice, please leave any preconceive ideas of what you may heard about Laos or what may or may not happen there… Bad people with bad intentions will do what they want, you can not help them. But if you go, go with an open heart and an open mind and I promise you, you will have the time of your life.

Thank you all and hopefully I will get to check on you guys once in awhile. Maybe when I do go back again, I will start an online journal... But by all means, please keep this blog going and continue to contribute any ideas you may have... the journey should go on without me. Good bye and good luck to all.

LHG

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:38:48 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

baddabing

« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2012, 04:54:05 PM »
spending 100 bucks a day?  Oh yeah...half of that money is for the girls I know...just kidding. :)

Alright, post up some pics...we want to see.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:27:47 PM by baddabing »

couchpotato

« Reply #215 on: December 27, 2012, 10:02:05 PM »
@LonelyHmgGuy, I totally agree with all of what you said about Laos.  However, when you really think about it, places are only fun & exciting when you're visiting or vacationing there.  Once you actually live there and have to go thru all the hardships and struggles, I personally dont think it would be as pleasurable.  If you haven't noticed, everyone there dreams of coming to the United States.  Like yourself, when it came the day we had to leave, a part of me was left in Laos.  But honestly, I can only see myself visiting the country, not living there.

Also, are you telling me that you have no "tham hluas nkauj" stories to tell us? Lol. Based on what i've observed, the ladies there are so much more friendly than the Hmong girls here in the states. I dont know if its an act, but it seems they have a lot more respect for guys. Im thinking this is the MAIN reason why all the guys in the US are going crazy for girls in Laos.

It's called you are their meal ticket.  :idiot2:

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #216 on: December 28, 2012, 08:18:05 AM »
It's called you are their meal ticket.  :idiot2:

Isn't that what every guy is to a lady when trying to find a perfect soulmate? Why do you think a women (USA & LAOS) will always ask about your education, career and financial status/credit background when you first get to know each  other?  ;D ;D O0

baddabing

« Reply #217 on: December 28, 2012, 12:18:36 PM »
Isn't that what every guy is to a lady when trying to find a perfect soulmate? Why do you think a women (USA & LAOS) will always ask about your education, career and financial status/credit background when you first get to know each  other?  ;D ;D O0

Right on, girls there and here are pretty much the same.

baddabing

« Reply #218 on: December 28, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »
***Back in the USA***

Wow! What a trip!  :(  and what a let down to be back. Argghhhh, I did not want to leave, they had to drag me back onto the plane for the ride home!

Firstly, thank you all for the well wishes and comments. I did have a good time and took many pictures. I will share them as soon as I download them. I will also have a more detail blog in a few days... but right now, let me just say that my 3 weeks came and went too fast, days felt like minutes and hours felt like seconds... I was so bummed on my last day and did not want to leave.

So to recap... after my last blog about being in Nong Hai, we decided to travel up to Luang Prabang and spent 3 days there. From Luang Prabang, we went back down to Xieng Khouang and Phonsavan to start the Hmong New Year celebrations. After 4 days in Phonsavan, it was back down to KM 52 to enjoy the rest of Hmong New Years on an VIP bus.

Everyone jokes about it and we all have heard the stories about Laos... the good, the bad and the ugly. But let me just say that you must really go and decide for yourself. No matter what I or others may say, you must really experience it yourself... each of us is different and everyone will come away with a different view and a different take on how things are.

For me, Laos was beautiful, relaxing, and so peaceful... I can not wait to go back. Every morning started with an early breakfast for the whole family and every night ended with everyone talking and sharing stories around the family fire. Everything would seem a like struggle, especially for those of us who were born or raised in the US...  there were chickens/pigs/ducks to feed, cows to take out to pasture and fetching water from the well. Some families have very little to eat and others still lived in houses with dirt floors. There are no toilets, you squat over a hole in the ground to take a shit and every shower was a cold shower. The beds were hard, your mattress is a thin blamket over a straw mat for those that could afford one. Dirt and dust got on everything, nothing is ever clean. Yet, in spike of all of this, I fell in love with Laos.

I did not mind taking cold showers... after a while, I almost welcome it. There was NO TV and no news of the outside world, yet, life still went on. It was ok that I was not on Facebook and did not make changes to my fantasy football lineup. Life did not end just because I did get that latest stock numbers. After awhile, I did not miss any of the technologies I was so used to. Everyone knows everyone in the village, everyone is a cousin, aunt or uncle regardless of your lastnames. For the first time in my life, I can truly say I understand what my parents meant when they say they miss the "old life" back in Laos.

On my last day and before I step into the security area at Wattay International Airport in Vientiane... tears started to stream down my face. For a country I can barely remember, I did not want to leave. For the new families and friends that I have just met, I did not want to part. And for a way of life I have never had, I wanted more.

A full summary will follow in a few days... Talk to you all soon.

LHG

It's a whole new world to experience right?

Someday I'll go there again before I die. O0

NceegVaj

« Reply #219 on: December 28, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »

To summarize a few of the more important details of this blog:

1. Travel Arrangements – always check with a 2nd or 3rd source before booking.

A. Book 3-4 months before your travel dates to get the best prices.
B. Depart on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday for best prices.
C. CheapoAir.com and Vayama.com for air, Agoda.com for hotels.

2. US Embassy in Laos- Just in case you run into trouble and need help.

US Embassy in Vientiane
Location Laos 19 Rue Bartholonie, That Dam Road, Vientiane, Laos
Hours Mon - Wed: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm  and  1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Thu - Fri: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Contact Info Phone (856-20-2126 7055; 856 20-2126 7089

3. Passports and Visa

A. You must have at least 6 month left on your Passport to enter Laos.
B. Visas for Laos can be done before you enter Laos or upon Entry.

4. Border/Custom/Duties

A. Be prepare to “donate” 20-30 dollars to the customs clerk. He will not hassle you or check your bags, it’s well worth it.

5. What to Pack/Bring

A. Don’t bring anything white, dirt and dust is everywhere.
B. Jeans and heavy clothes are hard to wash by hand.
C. Sandals and shorts are a must, even in winter.
D. Memory and Charger for your cameras/camcorders.

6. Important Dates to Remember

A. New Years for Laos normally November for Phonsavan and December for KM52 and elsewhere. Check for the 1st day of the Lunar month.
B. November to February (Cool and best prices)
C. April to July (Hot and humid)
D. August to October (Rain and Wet)

7. Cash and Spending habits.

A. I ended up spending about 100.00 US dollars a day. Your habits and taste may very, but this is a good number to start with. Please plan accordingly.
B. 797,500 Kips to 100.00 US Dollar exchange rates. Exchange at the Airport for best deals. Small towns/villages are the worst.

8. Food and Drinks

A. Don’t drink public water, bottle water is safer and only cost 2000-3000 kips.
B. Don’t eat street vendor food if you have a sensitive stomach.
C. Fruits are in season all year round, but best in April and May. Enjoy!

9. Transportation in Laos.

A. VIP buses: KM52 to Vientiane (15,000 kips) KM52 to Phonsavan (95,000 kips). KM52 to Nong Hai (50,000 kips).
B. Scooters: 10 dollars per day.
C. Vans/Rental Cars: 40-50 US Dollars per day with driver included.
D. International Driving Permit needed if you plan to drive yourself. Obtain at AAA before you go.

10. Hotels and Lodging

A. Consider staying with relatives, you will enjoy the company and enjoy experience more.
B. 15 to 20 dollars per night, anything more and you’re wasting your money. Remember, this is Laos and you can bargain with them on prices.
C. Hot showers and Western style toilets for those that need it.

11. Areas of interest

A. Vientiane – Capital and most modern city in Laos. Busy streets and night life.
B. KM52 – Large Hmong Community with a Market and hotels. Quite town with very little night life.
C. Nong Hai – Smaill Hmong Community with a Market and hotels. Very distant town with no night life.
D. Vang Vieng – Where the white people hang out. Tourist trap with tubing, drinking, and over priced hotels. Huge night life and party town.
E. Phonsavan – Large Hmong Community with markets and hotels. Plains of Jars is a must. Lay back town with little night life.
F. Luang Prabang – Many temples and waterfalls parks. Great night life and pleasant. A cross between V............. ....

Bold purple above...

Can you tell us of all the people made thru that check out...how many do you think just hand over $10 to $20 to bribe them?

and... what do you expect the consequences will be?

I hate to do the wrong thing and I am considering waiting for 2 hours for them to search....

Tell more about your opinion on this matter.  Is it really necessary?

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #220 on: December 28, 2012, 01:19:43 PM »
Bold purple above...

Can you tell us of all the people made thru that check out...how many do you think just hand over $10 to $20 to bribe them?

I hate to do the wrong thing and I am considering waiting for 2 hours for them to search....

I didnt hand over anything once i arrived at the airport.  But had to wait a good 30 minutes for my group to catch up with me in the baggage claim area.  Once i proceeded to exit the airport, the stupid Laos guy asked me to put my bag thru the x-ray system.  Coincidentally, I happen to be carrying a DVD player as a gift to my relatives.  He asked for $20 for it.  I guess it was some kind of import tax & getting hussled.  It was only $20 i was like fu.k it and just paid it and proceeded to exit.

Don't let the guys offering to help you with your bags, cause they will be expecting a tip.

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #221 on: December 28, 2012, 01:23:13 PM »
Right on, girls there and here are pretty much the same.

Yeap!  The girls in laos are looking for a ticket to the US & a better life.  The girls in the US are looking for a shopping spree at the mall & a man who can take her every direction.  ;D :P

baddabing

« Reply #222 on: December 30, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »
I don't approve tipping gate people, just rather act stupid about it.  Because if you tip them, they'll start expecting you to do it everytime,  which spells trouble when you or somebody doesn't tip them.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 31, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »
Bold purple above...

@NceegVaj

2 things at the airport that might cost you Money... 1- Custom/Border Agents. 2 - Baggage Handlers.

Customs Agents first. Laos has border agents, like most countries that you will visit, and they are there to make sure that you pay import tax or duties accordingly. Basically, they don't want you to bring in items of value without paying tax on it. It happens here in the US too, when you're on you way back. It's the little form they have you filled out before departing the airplane. The only difference is that in Laos, not everything is defined as taxable and even when it is defined, it is up to the discretion of the border agent.

In a nutshell... they can hold you and will ask you about everything that's in your suitcase... digital cameras, camcorders, memory, cell phones... etc. So, you can sit there and explain everything to him with your official Custom/Border Crossing form... which can take hours and get out without paying a penny (if you're lucky). OR you can pay the customs agent the 20.00 bucks and have him wave you thru... the choose is yours.  For me personally, my time is too valueable and I don't want to be the grain of sand in the engine. I consider the 20.00 dollars part of the price of visiting Laos... Pay the guy the 20.00 bucks and 5 seconds later, you're out the door to your waitng relatives.

In my suitcase, I had 8 digital cameras, 1 IPOD, 1 Camcorder, 1 bottle of Patron, 1 bottle of Jack Daniels, 2 Remote Control Cars. On my body, I was carrying an IPHONE and 1 HP laptop. Again, I could have argue and may have gotten away without pay a penny... but I consider the 20.00 part of the trip and nothing more. Got out in 10 seconds and without a single word. In my book, that is well worth it.

Baggage Handlers... these are the guys who help you with getting your suitcases onto carts so you can wheel them out onto the street, to your waiting relatives or taxi. If you don't want help, just politely say no thanks. If you do need help... 1 - 2 dollars per suitcase is the normal tipping rate. This also happens here in the US, when you check into a hotel room or at the airport, so nothing new to explain here.

@ baddabing

100.00 dollars a day was my average spending budget. I was there 22 days and spent 2000.00 dollars. This included all of my hotel stays, food I ate and transportation . Please keep in mind that I had a personal driver and VAN for 10 days and rented a scooter for another 10 days.

Like I said, you can and will probably spend less if you want... or more. 100.00 was just my experience and having only been there once, it may not be the correct average among all travellers. For the rest of you who is trying to budget your trip... here are some of the averages for what everyday items costs.

Bottle Water - Small (2000 kip), Medium (3000 kip) and large Liter (5000 kip)
Pho - 5000 kip in small towns like Nong Hai and KM 52, 10,000 kip in large cities like Vientiane, Phonsavan and Luang Prabang.
Ready to eat meat - 70,000 kip for 1 Kg of bbq pork. 10,000 - 20,000 for a cooked tilapia and 50,000 to 60,000 kip for a whole chicken.
Fresh meat - 35,000 to 40,000 kip for 1 Kg pork. 40,000 to 60,000 kip for 1 Kg of beef, and 30,000 to 40,000 kips for a live chicken.
Soda -  5000 kip for a can, same for juices.
Beer - 10,000 kip for bottles, 5000 kip per can.
Rice with meat dishes - 15,000 to 25,000 kips is normal.
Street food - Chicken Feet, Chicken Hearts, and Chicken Stomachs are 1,000 kip per BBQ stick. Steam Buns are 4,000 to 8000 kip each. Boiled Corns are 4 for 10,000 kip . Rice cooked in Bamboo are 5000 to 8000 kip each.

I had a plate of fried grasshoppers for 15,000 kip... a plate of deep fried swallows (whole bird with guts) for 50,000. I was too scared to try anything else that was strange.

Current Exchange Rate for Laos... 797500 kip for 100.00 US dollars when I was a the airport last. Rule of thumb for me... 1 dollar is 8000 kips. Good luck and hope this helps everyone...

LHG.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:30:45 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

AOZ

« Reply #224 on: January 02, 2013, 05:47:41 AM »
zoo heev!   O0

a young male relative just came back from living in laos for 2 years with his wife and child.  he could not adjust to life there so he is back... working to get his wife and child here to the states.

since you are going back in 6 months... i would assume you prolly got married there... or engaged.  hehehe.  if that's the case.... congrats.

when my daughters are ready to settle own... i want them to marry hmong laos men... because they paub kevcai more and know hmong culture... and their roles as husbands more then those in US. 

tx for sharing.  may all your endeavors come true. 

Advertisements