Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 227028 times)

MenyuamHmoob

Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #255 on: January 25, 2013, 08:17:45 AM »
LHG, its great to hear that you're finally enjoying yourself after years of hard work.  And i hope you have a great time in LAOS.  I once read somewhere about some of the biggest regrets/advice people at their death bed had.  And one of it is that "having materialistic things (money, house, cars, tv, etc.) will give you instant short term gratification, but having an experience/memories will last you a lifetime."

I'm growing to an age where i see several friends/cousins work 24/7, pay bilils, go nowhere and get sick w/long term diseases.  Given that, im begining to realize that life is short and we're only living on barrowed time.   :( So while you still can, do something adventurous, go somewhere you've never gone before, and build those memories. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 25, 2013, 11:00:05 AM »
LHG, its great to hear that you're finally enjoying yourself after years of hard work.  And i hope you have a great time in LAOS.  I once read somewhere about some of the biggest regrets/advice people at their death bed had.  And one of it is that "having materialistic things (money, house, cars, tv, etc.) will give you instant short term gratification, but having an experience/memories will last you a lifetime."

I'm growing to an age where i see several friends/cousins work 24/7, pay bilils, go nowhere and get sick w/long term diseases.  Given that, im begining to realize that life is short and we're only living on barrowed time.   :( So while you still can, do something adventurous, go somewhere you've never gone before, and build those memories.

MenyuamHmoob - Yes Bro... Just a couple of weeks ago, a buddy of mine and his friends were out drinking. His Buddy was drunk and got behind the wheel, lost control and ended up hitting a light pole. My buddy was ejected and killed instantly. His buddy is now arrested for DUI... I am thinking, DAM, life flys by. Don't live dangerously, but DO LIVE. Have fun!

Here is a couple of videos of Lao Pi Mai in Laos... Hopefully I will have some videos of my own to post after it is all said and done. I am told that Pi Mai, similiar to the scenes below, happens ALL over Laos, not just one place and last for 3 days. I am looking forward to it.  :)

LHG

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:03:04 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #257 on: January 25, 2013, 11:29:39 AM »
yeah, i heard that during the "Boun Ntov Dej" its pretty fun too.  Some even say its more fun than the Hmong new year becuase its a nationwide celebration and everyone is off from work and school.  But i think i prefer the old school courting girls and seeing all my Hmong people at a new year. :) BTW, do you speak any lick of Laos?  I was lucky to have been traveling with a buddy of mine who knew Laotian, but this year, i was planning on traveling there with/without someone who actually speaks Laos this year, but wasn't sure how the experience would be like.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 25, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »
yeah, i heard that during the "Boun Ntov Dej" its pretty fun too.  Some even say its more fun than the Hmong new year becuase its a nationwide celebration and everyone is off from work and school.  But i think i prefer the old school courting girls and seeing all my Hmong people at a new year. :) BTW, do you speak any lick of Laos?  I was lucky to have been traveling with a buddy of mine who knew Laotian, but this year, i was planning on traveling there with/without someone who actually speaks Laos this year, but wasn't sure how the experience would be like.

MenyuamHmoob -

I don't know how much of the Lao New Year is celebrated by the HMONG people in Laos. My guess is that it is like 4th of July, Labor Day or Thanksgiving here for us... Some Hmongs celebrate it and for others it may just be another day in Laos.

I enjoy everything about Laos... maybe because my short life has taken so many paths. You see, I was born in Laos, migrated to Thailand when I was 3 and then moved to the US when I was 6. My family and I landed in the Midwest, Bible Belt country... for the first 10 years of my life in the US, my sister and I were the only 2 asians at school, probably the only 2 asians in the county. Life was tough and so we had to learn English fast...

Long story... short. I can not speak Lao, other than to say hi, where's the bathbroom and a few other words. I also can not read or write Hmong... Not very efficiently anyways. I don't understand Hmong culture very well either. It is sad, but I am almost 40 and I don't know how to say thank you at funerals or weddings. I fall into that weird generation, where I don't fit in with the older Hmong people and I have a hard time associating with the younger Hmongs that are born here. I probably have a hand full of Hmong friends... everyone else is meka.

I will be travelling alone this time. My cousin has agreed to meet me at the air port... he will then take me to my hotel in Vientiane... but that's about it. The rest of my time there will be up to me.

LHG

yangsha

« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2013, 04:10:47 PM »
I can't believe I read all 18 pages.  I learned so much O0  I'm planning on visiting my "friend" in Phonsavan for 2 1/2 weeks in mid December.  Thanks for all the info and the blog.  I truely enjoyed it!

population1

« Reply #260 on: February 26, 2013, 06:07:44 PM »
follow the 'old man's rule'. I know I will be when going to Laos. I have the guidance of the elders and parental discretion. China is also next on the list to visit suggested by my superiors.

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2013, 11:21:47 AM »
I can't believe I read all 18 pages.  I learned so much O0  I'm planning on visiting my "friend" in Phonsavan for 2 1/2 weeks in mid December.  Thanks for all the info and the blog.  I truely enjoyed it!

Wow!? You're going to Phonsavan? That is great! Is it to visit family or just for pleasure? Make sure you visit the food market, you'll find several vendors selling traditional Hmong & Laotian foods. Also, you'll get to sample all kinds of fruits.  There's another store on the opposite end of the street. But its mostly for clothes and nonperishables . O0

Also, there's two different mounds/hills that are not too far from Phonsavan which you can go and see the entire Phonsavan, Xienkuang area. You can also visit the Plain de Jars.  But i wasnt as impressed.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:24:58 AM by MenyuamHmoob »

yangsha

« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
Long story short...divorc ed and met a friend who introduced me to a nice lady from there.  Been talking to her for a while now and planning on going down there for the new year and spend some time with her.  But first, I'll stop by to spend a couple days with my uncle's fam down in Vientianne and then fly to Phonsavan.  I don't think I can stand riding the bus or taking a taxi for 11 hours.  I heard the new year in Phonsavan is around November but she did confirm that it's around December 14th this year.  It's 9 months away but it'll give me time to collect and prepare for my first trip out of this country.

You know, I've never been out of country so I am not sure what it's going to be like.  I'm afraid I may get home sick, like I did when I was out in California for a couple weeks.  I've done a lot of research but this thread has most info I'll need, thanks to those with experience adding their 2 cents.  I have not heard about the stores, sight seeings, or anything in particular.  But I can't wait to taste the food and fruits there!  Talking to my lady friend, it doesn't sound like she goes out much, if any, at all but we'll see where she takes me lol.  Thanks for the suggestions!  Much appreciated!  I will surely look into the mounds/hills as I'd love to see the whole XK area.

BTW, sorry to the OP for getting off topic :)

moscato

« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2013, 05:58:51 PM »
Long story short...divorc ed and met a friend who introduced me to a nice lady from there.  Been talking to her for a while now and planning on going down there for the new year and spend some time with her.  But first, I'll stop by to spend a couple days with my uncle's fam down in Vientianne and then fly to Phonsavan.  I don't think I can stand riding the bus or taking a taxi for 11 hours.  I heard the new year in Phonsavan is around November but she did confirm that it's around December 14th this year.  It's 9 months away but it'll give me time to collect and prepare for my first trip out of this country.

You know, I've never been out of country so I am not sure what it's going to be like.  I'm afraid I may get home sick, like I did when I was out in California for a couple weeks.  I've done a lot of research but this thread has most info I'll need, thanks to those with experience adding their 2 cents.  I have not heard about the stores, sight seeings, or anything in particular.  But I can't wait to taste the food and fruits there!  Talking to my lady friend, it doesn't sound like she goes out much, if any, at all but we'll see where she takes me lol.  Thanks for the suggestions!  Much appreciated!  I will surely look into the mounds/hills as I'd love to see the whole XK area.

I don't think there is a direct flight or airport in Phonsavan. You may need to fly into Xien Khouang.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »

All - Glad to see people are still reading this blog and still adding to it. Keep it going!

Yangsha - First of all, thank you for reading and congrats on your decision to go back to Laos. I hope you have a great time. I am also glad you found this blog useful. My intent was to help people like yourself and it brings me joy to know you found it helpful! Please add any useful information you may have as you prepare for your trip.

Happy Travels,

LHG

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:14:21 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2013, 09:22:20 PM »
Wow!? You're going to Phonsavan? That is great! Is it to visit family or just for pleasure? Make sure you visit the food market, you'll find several vendors selling traditional Hmong & Laotian foods. Also, you'll get to sample all kinds of fruits.  There's another store on the opposite end of the street. But its mostly for clothes and nonperishables . O0

Also, there's two different mounds/hills that are not too far from Phonsavan which you can go and see the entire Phonsavan, Xienkuang area. You can also visit the Plain de Jars.  But i wasnt as impressed.

MenyuamHmoob - Glad to see you again and to know you're still around and contributing to this blog. It is good to see everyone is still here and doing well.

As for Phonsavan, my grandparents live in this city so I can add a little to what you have stated so far. Phonsavan has 3 main markets. 1st is the "Dry Goods" Market, clothes, shoes, tools, electronics and beauty salons are found here. 2nd is the "Phonsavan Market" where you can find fresh fruits, vegetables, meat, and "jungle" meat like birds, snakes, squirrels, rats... etc. There are also spices and a few sit down resturantes here. 3rd is a small market and it lies on the other side of town.  If you're heading towards the airport or the Plain of Jars, you will see it.

The Plains of Jars is a good historical site and worth an afternoon... bring some food and have a picnic. Great place to take pictures too.

The hills around Phosavan are great for hiking and gives you a good view of the city. Will worth your time. Also a great place to make out... or so I have heard.

Happy Travels,

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2013, 09:32:41 PM »
I don't think there is a direct flight or airport in Phonsavan. You may need to fly into Xien Khouang.

A little confusing... but I hope I can explain about the airport(s) in Laos. To begin with, Xieng Khouang is the Province (in USA terms, it is the state) and Phonsavan is a city within Xieng Khouang. So think of Xieng Khouang as California and Phonsavan as Sacramento... hope this helps.

Phonsavan does have an airport, but it is NOT an international airport. This means, you can not get a direct flight into Phonsavan from the US, Thailand or Vietnam. Xieng Khouang Airport or XKH lies just outside of the City of Phonsavan in Xieng Khouang Province. There are daily flights from Vientiane and Luang Prabang.

Hope this helps...

LHG

moscato

« Reply #267 on: February 28, 2013, 09:59:44 AM »
A little confusing... but I hope I can explain about the airport(s) in Laos. To begin with, Xieng Khouang is the Province (in USA terms, it is the state) and Phonsavan is a city within Xieng Khouang. So think of Xieng Khouang as California and Phonsavan as Sacramento... hope this helps.

Phonsavan does have an airport, but it is NOT an international airport. This means, you can not get a direct flight into Phonsavan from the US, Thailand or Vietnam. Xieng Khouang Airport or XKH lies just outside of the City of Phonsavan in Xieng Khouang Province. There are daily flights from Vientiane and Luang Prabang.

Hope this helps...

LHG

sorry im not planning to travel in laos nor thailand. lol I'm a travel agent and we get alot of ppl that ask us if there is an airport in Phonsavan but because I don't see any direct flights I just tell them to fly into XKH. sorry ya'lls..

yoursunrise4ever

« Reply #268 on: February 28, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »
All this talks and pictures from Laos. Makes me want to go so bad. I long to see my motherland and all the beautiful places God has bestowed upon us. I can only assume that it's once in a lifetime experience! How I would love to walk without shoes in the red dirt road. Eat fresh hmong cucumbers out in the field after a long hot day. Drink water from a folded leaf (Don't know how safe). See childrens playing marbles on the street after a night fall. People sitting around fire and sharing folktales. How I long to visit my homeland one of these days...... Thank you all for sharing your experiences with some of us that may never set foot in Laos.

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2013, 09:16:33 AM »
sorry im not planning to travel in laos nor thailand. lol I'm a travel agent and we get alot of ppl that ask us if there is an airport in Phonsavan but because I don't see any direct flights I just tell them to fly into XKH. sorry ya'lls..

You're a travel agent and you dont know? Lol.  :2funny: :2funny:

Advertisements