Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 227062 times)

yoursunrise4ever

Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #285 on: March 12, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »
Darkest of the night, the stars glimmers so bright. You can almost reach up and touch the moon. Is that true?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 14, 2013, 09:39:50 PM »
I bet I noe who that hmong agent is.  ;D

LOL since im based in mpls, i only know alot of hmong ppl that travel out of MN. But im sure many folks travel out of CA too.
Plane tickets -- it just depends on when u want to travel. different seasonality = different prices
majority of ppl stay at least 3 weeks.. some ppl even stay 6+ months.
I don't know the average age since we don't get that info from passengers. But men def travel more than women.

LOL... Moscato, do you have any interest in going back to Laos? How old are you? Were you born here? Sorry for being so upfront... I am just curious.

I have younger brothers who were born here and they all don't seem to have any interest in going back either.  I am just thinking outloud here, but I wonder if only those of us that were born in Laos are interested in going back?

Maybe I should take a poll?

BTW - 2 more weeks and I head back to Vientiane!!!!

moscato

« Reply #287 on: March 15, 2013, 12:32:35 PM »
LOL... Moscato, do you have any interest in going back to Laos? How old are you? Were you born here? Sorry for being so upfront... I am just curious.

I have younger brothers who were born here and they all don't seem to have any interest in going back either.  I am just thinking outloud here, but I wonder if only those of us that were born in Laos are interested in going back?

Maybe I should take a poll?

BTW - 2 more weeks and I head back to Vientiane!!!!

Yes I was born in the U.S. but I'm pretty open-minded so I wouldn't mind traveling to Laos if given the opportunity. I heard Thailand is beautiful also. I noe that for the younger generation Laos is probably not their top countries to visit. lol But sometimes you'll come across some younger folks who just want to go for pleasure or they are traveling with their parents/families.

nice! have fun and be safe  :) O0

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 15, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »
Yes I was born in the U.S. but I'm pretty open-minded so I wouldn't mind traveling to Laos if given the opportunity. I heard Thailand is beautiful also. I noe that for the younger generation Laos is probably not their top countries to visit. lol But sometimes you'll come across some younger folks who just want to go for pleasure or they are traveling with their parents/families.

nice! have fun and be safe  :) O0

Good to hear... hope you do get a chance to go back to Laos too. I did hear that Thailand is also very beautiful and much cheaper than Laos... in regards to car rental, food, and fuel. So Thailand is next on my list, along with Vietnam.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHH... so many places, so little time!!!!!

BTW - do you get a discount from where you work if you do go? LOL, that would be awesome if you did! Do you mainly deal with South East Asia travel?

Thanks for the well wishes... I am still packing and still have some more shopping to do.

LHG

moscato

« Reply #289 on: March 15, 2013, 02:11:13 PM »
Good to hear... hope you do get a chance to go back to Laos too. I did hear that Thailand is also very beautiful and much cheaper than Laos... in regards to car rental, food, and fuel. So Thailand is next on my list, along with Vietnam.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHH... so many places, so little time!!!!!

BTW - do you get a discount from where you work if you do go? LOL, that would be awesome if you did! Do you mainly deal with South East Asia travel?

Thanks for the well wishes... I am still packing and still have some more shopping to do.

LHG

Yes I do get discount thru work but not much for international travel. I fly free if its within the 48 states (Alaska & Hawaii not included) Yes i deal with the southeast asia market.. occassionally i'll help with europe & south africa market.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 15, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »
Yes I do get discount thru work but not much for international travel. I fly free if its within the 48 states (Alaska & Hawaii not included) Yes i deal with the southeast asia market.. occassionally i'll help with europe & south africa market.

Wow... how lucky are you! You know what you should do.... (if you have not already), travel to all 48 state! Heheheehee

Seriously, those are really good perks! I envy you. I love traveling and would kill for bennefits like that. You should take advantage of it and travel.

BTW - does your spouse get the same bennefits? If so, I am single! :)

moscato

« Reply #291 on: March 15, 2013, 04:36:15 PM »
Wow... how lucky are you! You know what you should do.... (if you have not already), travel to all 48 state! Heheheehee

Seriously, those are really good perks! I envy you. I love traveling and would kill for bennefits like that. You should take advantage of it and travel.

BTW - does your spouse get the same bennefits? If so, I am single! :)

LOL I have not but yes that would be awesome.. So far i've only gone to California, Florida, and Michigan because I have family there.
haha sorry but I am married and my spouse and I both travel together.  :)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 20, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »
*** Packed and Ready to Go***

Well, I am all packed and ready to go. I am nervous as hell. I am going stay up all night tonight so maybe I will be tired during the flight and maybe I catch some sleep while on the plane. But I doubt that will happen.

What I packed this time....

Cloths:
8 short, 4 cargo and 4 Bermuda
2 swim trunks
14 t shirts
2 pairs of jeans
8 boxers
5 pairs of socks
1 sandals
1 pair of water shoe
1 tennis shoe
1 light hoodie
2 polo shirt

Food:
3 packages of Costco Beer Jerky (this was a big hit last time)
2 batches of home made brownies (Chocolate was a big hit too)
2 Dr. Pepper, 2 Mountain Dew, 2 Root Beer, 2 Orange Crush ( My cousins wants to try American Cola)
2 boxes of Chocolate Bars (72 bars total)... Mars, Sneaker, M&M, Hershey Bars... etc (For all the kids in the villiage)
1 bottle of Jack Daniels 1.75 liter (for cousin's birthday)

Toys and gifts:
3 barbie dolls (for nieces)
2 RC Trucks with batteries (for nephews)
2 WaterWarriors Collosus Water Guns (for me, for Laos Water festival)
3 Casio watches, 2 men and 1 women (for my cousins)

Personal and misc stuff:
toothbrush and toothpaste
2 rolls of extra soft toilet paper
1 flashlight
1 first aid kit
1 bottle of hair gel
1 Ipod
1 Laptop
1 point and shot digital camera (will leave behind)
1 cannon slr camera

My suitcases are full and heavy but all are under 50 lbs. To be honest, I am a little scare this time around as I will be going alone. Hopefully, I will meet other Hmongs along the way. It still amazes me, 4 years ago, before my mother passed away, I would have never thought about doing stuff like this. I was comfortable in my ways. I went to work, I came home, I ate, watch some TV and went to bed. On the weekends, it was drinking with the inlaws. That was my world... Now, I am going to travel half way around the world, going to a country I barely know. I can barely speak the language and know every few people there. If it matters down the road, I am glad I am going...

I guess the old saying is true.... "get busy dying or get busy living", we all only live once and each of us must make the best of the time given to us. So, if you're are at a place where you don't want to be right now, change it. Get up and walk out your front door.

I will see you guys in about 4 weeks.... and I will update everyone as best I can while I am there.

LHG

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:50:48 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

yoursunrise4ever

« Reply #293 on: March 20, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
LHG,

Good luck and happy traveling!

Offline Sith

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +322
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 21, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »

wow. I just read all 20 pages.

LonelyHmgGuy,
thanks for all the Info.

moscato

« Reply #295 on: March 21, 2013, 01:58:47 PM »
LHG -- good luck and have fun!  O0

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 22, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »
Good Evening from Hanoi, Vietnam... or is it good night??? Either way, hello to my PH brothers and sisters.

Just got off the plane after a 14 hours flight from SFO to South Korea and another 4 hours flight from Korea to Hanoi... The flight from SF to Korea was exhausting and there was little time to explore Icheon once I landed because it was a mad dash to my next flight. With only a 1 hour and 20 minute layover in Seoul, I had to hurry just to make it to the transfer gate for my next flight, which was on the opposite side of the terminal. To top it off, we were order to go thru Security Check again... Dam, what a hassel! But through it all, I am still smiling and keeping my sense of humor.

This is my second time with Korean Airlines and I am still very happy with them. So, to start off, once you board the airplane, there is a bottle of cold water and a blanket already waiting for you in your seat. VERY NICE,! Boarding was orderly and the staff were very helpful and some can speak English, which is a big help. There was plenty of overhead storage for my laptop and carry-on. I found plenty of leg room for my small size, I am 5'5", 170lbs. \

Despite my best planning, I could not sleep on board, NOT very well or very long anyways. I guess I was just too excited  and too anxious to sleep. But I did not let it bother me much. I passed the time watching people and listening to my IPOD... a little PINK, some Greenday and some Bruno Mars to waste the time away. While onboard, we had two meals on Korean Airlines, first was dinner... choice of Bimbim bap or beef stew. I choose the traditional Bimbim bap, it is was very good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibimbap

After dinner was about an hour of much needed sleep. I was exhausted, because I had the stupid idea of staying up the night before!!! Went to bathroon twice, one to go potty and the second time was mainly to stretch my poor tired legs. For breakfast, I have an egg omelet with fruits and a baguette, nothing special.

After my breakfast, I found my IPOD drained... but as luck would have it, there was a USB port charger in my seat, how cool is that for us geeks, THANK YOU Korean Airlines! While charging my IPOD, I browsed and watch a couple of free movies... Ratatoille and The Dark Knight Rises... then it was back to my IPOD again.

Finally and just when you think you're never going to land, the pilot comes on the PA and announces that we're making our final approach into Seoul! Just like that, Korea appeared ahead of us like an island jumping out of the vast Pacific Ocean. Just like that, there was land and trees, homes and factories, high rises and concrete freeways again. And just as fast, we were on the ground and everyone was scrambling to get their luggages down from the overhead bins.

The Airport in Seoul is HUGE and very busy... which reminded me of the Hmong funeral songs that the old Hmong people sing at the funeral places. This is what it must be like for the dead, a lost soul trying to navigate his way back home to his ancestors. For the final journey home, the soul will have to find the right gate and the right plane to board. It seemed like everyone had a purpose, an understanding of where they must go. Everyone was busy searching and waiting for their turn to board their plane and fly home, to their final destination.  Some people ate their meals and others had none. Some people had many luggages and others only carried themselves. Some passengers were travelling with families and others were alone.  I can only imagine to myself, this is what it must be like for a soul after death?! For a moment, I felt alone.

From Seoul, it was another 4 hours flight to Hanoi, Vietnam. A huge contrast by all comparisons, Hanoi is small and empty. Here there are no Gucci or Prada signs and the ever present noise has been replaced with an eerie silence. Perhaps it was late in the evening, but Hanoi only had a trickle of passengers. There are a few souvenir shops, but nothing high end like Seoul. Many of the seats in the waiting areas were empty and there was only 2 terminal, A  and B. I found an empty area on the second floor next to a PHO Resturant with free wifi, and so I am here writing to my friends on PH.

I will be here until 9:00 AM tomorrow morning, at which time, I will board another plane for Vientiane, Laos. Until then, it seems like I have the entire airport to myself.

More to come...

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:29:20 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 22, 2013, 11:57:57 AM »
wow. I just read all 20 pages.

LonelyHmgGuy,
thanks for all the Info.

Good to hear... more to come!

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 22, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »
LHG,

Good luck and happy traveling!

Thank you

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 22, 2013, 11:59:13 AM »
LHG -- good luck and have fun!  O0

Thank you, I will.

Advertisements