Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 227013 times)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #300 on: March 22, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »
Meaning of life or exhaustion from Lack of Sleep?... you decide.

I have not slept for 36 hours and I am sure I am delirious from exhaustion, but here I am with nothing but time on my hands and so I was just thinking about my life. I don’t own many Hmong songs, not because I am prejudices, it’s just that not many of them have meaning/lyrics I can relate too… however, 120 Xyoo by Reflections is an exception. I really like this song. Before you we go any further, imagine yourself alone in an empty airport at 2 AM in the morning in South East Asia while listening to this song, if any of this is to make sense. Lyrics to the song goes something like this…

Zoo li nag hmo
Kuv nyuam qhuav muaj kaum plaub xyoos
Ua cas hnub no
Kuv tseem siv muaj nais nkaum plaub xyoos
Kuv ua lub neej
Zoo li npau suav ib vuag
Kuv tseem siv txog ntawm no
Ib ntsais muag
Kuv tseem siv laus zuj zus
Kuv lub neej
Tsuas paub hnuj nyob
Nyob hnub no
Tsis paub tsis paub
Txog tag kis
Seb txoj hmoo
Puas txog 120 xyoo
Kuv tau yug los
Tsis paub txoj kev mob
Tsis paub xyov thaum twg
Yuav tso lub ntuj no
Kuv thiaj rau siab
Tsim kuv lub neej tab sis
Kuv tseem niaj hnub seev
Ib ntsais muag
Kuv lub neej
Tsuas paub hnuj nyob
Nyob hnub no
Tsis paub tsis paub
Txog tag kis
Seb txoj hmoo
Puas txog 120 xyoo
Ib ntsais muag
Kuv lub neej
Tsuas paub hnuj nyob
Nyob hnub no
Tsis paub tsis paub
Txog tag kis
Seb txoj hmoo
Puas txog 120 xyoo

I miss my mother who passed away… I miss ex, not for who she is now, but for who she was and for what we could have been. I miss my son. I miss the sound of the wind blowing in the trees. I miss the site of grass dancing on the prairie. I miss the sun on my back. I miss the sound of the ocean. I miss the feel of wet sand. I miss the smell of plumeria in the air. I miss the taste of warm rice in cold water. I miss the feel of soft dirt.

LHG

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:56:21 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #301 on: March 22, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »
Wow!!!  You're on your way to LAOS!!! OMG!! Im freaken jelous of you!  I wish I was headed back to Laos for a few weeks of worry free exploring again.   :(

Hearing you're stories of the Korea Airline, Korea Airpor, Hanoi Airport makes me miss Laos so much.  Because thats the same exact itenary that I was given when I went to Laos at the end of the year, 2012.  I too had a quick 1.5hr layover in Korean and then on to Hanoi where I had to sleep over the night.  But unlike you, it was the first time for me going to Laos so I traveled with a group. ehehe!  I thought during the time that it would be freaken LONELY traveling alone and know exactly how you're feeling.  I too went to the second floor of the Hanoi airport and slept on the empy seats.

***Tip for everyone before going from the Korea airport to the Hanoi Airport:  Remember to steal one of the blankets on the Korean Airline so you can use it as a blanket while you sleep like a bum in the Hanoi airport.  Also, if you have a lot of time in the Seoul airport, there's an international lounge which is totally free where you can take a hot shower (soap, towel, toothbrush, tooth paste all provided for free), sleep on a high quality lazyboy couch, and even get a massage all for free!!!

Have fun on your trip LHG!  Keep us all posted.  If you need some "Hluas nkauj" number, then just PM me and i shall let you know. ehehehe!  In that way, you wont have to feel so alone.  O0 

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 22, 2013, 03:57:51 PM »
I am in Hanio, Vietnam and it is around 4:00 AM in the morning. I am laying on the floor next to the window with no one in site, even the maintenance crew is now gone. I feel asleep for about an hour and it is still dark outside. I can make out some shapes in and around the street lights below but nothing more. Far off to the east, there must be a city nearby because I can see bright lights. It's warm but I have my hoodie on because I like the scent of fresh detergent from home. My laptop bag is my pillow and my carrry-on is at my feet. I can feel that the glass next to me is cool to the touch but not cold... I want to get some fresh air, but there are no doors that will open to the outside. My stomach hurts but I don't feel hungry or thristy.

I am listening to Train, Marry Me... almost haunting in this lonely airport at this hour. I wish there was someone here to talk to... a face to look at or someone's hand to hold.

Forever can never be long enough for me
To feel like I've had long enough with you
Forget the world now, we won't let them see
But there's one thing left to do
Now that the weight has lifted
Love has surely shifted my way
Marry me
Today and every day
Marry me
If I ever get the nerve to say hello in this cafe
Say you will
Say you will

Together can never be close enough for me
To feel like I am close enough to you
You wear white and I'll wear out the words I love you
And you're beautiful
Now that the wait is over
And love and has finally showed her my way
Marry me
Today and every day
Marry me
Say you will
Say you will

Promise me you'll always be
Happy by my side
I promise to sing to you
When all the music dies
And marry me
Today and everyday
Marry me
Say you will
Say you will
Marry me

Here I sit, here I am. I once lived a lonely here on this earth.

Offline Sith

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +322
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 22, 2013, 04:26:23 PM »
OK!

Now I definitely can't wait till my trip start.

::)

counting down the Months, Days, Hours, Seconds, Nano-seconds.........

Yesssssssssss, I'll be flying into Seoul, too. So thanks for all the heads up info  O0

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 22, 2013, 04:28:13 PM »
Wow!!!  You're on your way to LAOS!!! OMG!! Im freaken jelous of you!  I wish I was headed back to Laos for a few weeks of worry free exploring again.   :(

Hearing you're stories of the Korea Airline, Korea Airpor, Hanoi Airport makes me miss Laos so much.  Because thats the same exact itenary that I was given when I went to Laos at the end of the year, 2012.  I too had a quick 1.5hr layover in Korean and then on to Hanoi where I had to sleep over the night.  But unlike you, it was the first time for me going to Laos so I traveled with a group. ehehe!  I thought during the time that it would be freaken LONELY traveling alone and know exactly how you're feeling.  I too went to the second floor of the Hanoi airport and slept on the empy seats.

***Tip for everyone before going from the Korea airport to the Hanoi Airport:  Remember to steal one of the blankets on the Korean Airline so you can use it as a blanket while you sleep like a bum in the Hanoi airport.  Also, if you have a lot of time in the Seoul airport, there's an international lounge which is totally free where you can take a hot shower (soap, towel, toothbrush, tooth paste all provided for free), sleep on a high quality lazyboy couch, and even get a massage all for free!!!

Have fun on your trip LHG!  Keep us all posted.  If you need some "Hluas nkauj" number, then just PM me and i shall let you know. ehehehe!  In that way, you wont have to feel so alone.  O0

Yes... MenyuamHmoob

I am on the second floor... dark and cool. No one in site. A long ways from home.

Thanks for the well wishes man... hopefully you and I can do this together in the near future. For the time being, I will take you with me.

TTYL buddy,

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 22, 2013, 04:57:38 PM »
OK!

Now I definitely can't wait till my trip start.

counting down the Months, Days, Hours, Seconds, Nano-seconds.........

Yesssssssssss, I'll be flying into Seoul, too. So thanks for all the heads up info  O0

Sith,

You can do it alone... like me. But it's probably better as a group. BTW - Are you able to speak Lao?

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 22, 2013, 05:50:50 PM »
It is almost 6 AM and the sun is starting to peak out of the East... It is a beautiful morning. I can make out coconut and palm trees that line the streets nearby. The airport staff are arrieving, picking up trash and sweeping the floor. I am sure if I was outside, I could hear the rosters crowing. I am still alone on the second floor of Hanoi Airport.

They say everyone should at least see the sun come up every once in awhile. I forgot how beautiful everything and how peaceful it is at this time of the day. Seems like everything can start anew, a begining to all things and all things are possible. I am still alone on the second floor of Hanoi Airport.

In a few hours, I will be in Vientiane, unknown of to whats waiting for me. Excited and hopeful. In a few hours, I will be with families and friends again... and in a few hours, I will set foot on Laos. If only my other life was like this, if only I could know exactly who I was and where I was going... I am still alone on the second floor of Hanoi Airport.

I guess I will go find something to eat before my flight at 9:00.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 24, 2013, 11:06:19 AM »
Sabaidee from Vientiane, Laos...

It is 10:00 PM in Vientiane, Laos... sitting in my hotel room, Douang Deuane Hotel.

This is a video of the same hotel and similiar room to mine.

So, to recap everyone. I got to Vientiane at 11:15 yesterday. My plane was on time and the flight from Hanoi to Vientiane was about 1 hour, barely enough time for the stewardess to serve us some drinks. Basically, we went up in the air, got a drink of soda, water, or juice... and then we landed. It was that fast.

I did not have my Visa, so I had to get a Visa on Entry. Cost about 35 dollars and it was fairly easy and fast. The Customs Guard took be aside and asked 20.00 because he saw that I have a laptop bag. I gave him 20.00 and was on my way out the door.

The first breath of Lao air was incredible... full of fragrance mix with flowers, grass, and car flumes. It is hard to discribe, but like a welcome sign that I was back in Laos again. I miss it and it felt so good to breath it in again. Waiting for me was my cousin and his young wife. We hugged and they took me to my hotel. We ate some lunch they brought, boiled chicken, (kimchee) sour greens?, and some bbq pork I purchased from a street vendor. It was a very good meal with friends. After lunch at my hotel room, we walked over to the "Morning Market". I bought some clothes for my nieces, my cousin has two daughters. I also brought them their bus tickets home... and they promptly left me after we had some PHO for dinner.

I came back to my hotel alone and slept for about an hour, at around 7:00 PM, I walked down to the Mekong River Bank for the Night Market. There were many vendors... some had clothing, arts, crafts, jewelry and more food. Head one of vendor playing "Gangnam Style", for a moment, I thought of home and it brought a smile to my face. I walked a little further down and saw some girls that I believe were Hmong. There we about 4-5 of them, all laughing and seems to be having a good time. Again, I smiled but did not speak. I walked some more and came upon some Hmong vendors who had "flower cloths" and Hmong hand bags... again I did not speak and just smile. The was a cool breeze in the air and the sun had just set over the Mekong, it was quit beautiful.

I found a bar near the river with some Lao/Thai music playing, I bought a Lao Beer and had a drink. It was cold and it was refreshing. A couple of the Lao girls came over and spoke to me in broken English and asked where I was staying and what I was doing in Vientiane. I told them I was on vacation and I was at a hotel nearby. Very pretty girls... and very friendly. I finished my beer and walked over to the Fruit stands and purchased 1 Kg of logon and some bottle water to bring back to my hotel room. Got back to my hotel room around 9:00 and sleep for a few hours... then got up at the crack of dawn. It is hard for me to sleep in a new place and a new bed. The bed was extra firm and the new smell make me uncomfortable.

I walked down to the street after getting dressed and found a Pho vendor and ate... 10.000 kip for breakfast. Food portions in Laos are alot small by USA standards, but I did not mind because my stomach did not settle well and I was not very hungry... So, early and for the first time, I am feeling alone again.

After Breakfast, I walked over to Anu Savali... it was still very cool and a short walk from my hotel. As it was a weekend, the kids were out of school and it seems like the hang out place for everyone. I bought a soda and just people watch for about an hour. At around noon, with the sun beating down on me, I walked back to the "Morning Market" and did some more shopping. I bought a Portable DVD player as a gift for my Grandmom, it was about 50 bucks, 15 in. I also bought some DVD... mostly Disney Cartoons, Transformer, Lord of the Rings, Spiderman and Batman... all were 5000-7000 each.. or a little less than a dollar.

I ate some lunch on the 3rd floor and walked back to my Hotel. For some reason, I was very tired, I am sure it was jetlag and the time difference that got to me... I slept for 3 hours and got up with a huge headache. That should teach me for sleeping during the day!

I can't believe how friendly the Hmong girls at the Morning Market were... I was alone and everyone of them had a smile and asked who I was and where I was staying and for how long... it was good to just have a conversation again. It was good not to feel lonely anymore.

During the evening, I walked down to the "Night Market" again, hoping to find the Lao girls again at the Bar, but they were gone. A new group of girls were there and a set of new faces... I meet a couple vacationing for Norway who spoke English and we had a beer. Watching the sunset over the Mekong, listening to Lao music, and just taking it all it. I want to be here forever, I feel like I belong. Here, I know exactly who I am. Here, I feel like I belong.

Tomorrow... I going to take a bus to KM52 to visit my Grandmom. Wish all you guys were here!

LHG

baddabing

« Reply #308 on: March 24, 2013, 09:06:36 PM »
is that girl in the video your laos girlfriend? ;D

Looks like somebody is hook on Laos haha.  But I don't blame you, when i went tp Thailand and laost for a few months a few years back, I had the best times of my life!!!  I don't regret nothing about it, I missed those times so much.  Im married now, I can't do it anymore.  It's only a blast when you're still single, so enjoy all you can while you're still single.

PRINCESS.

« Reply #309 on: March 24, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »
Awesome LHG, I hope you're enjoying yourself. Sometimes you don't need a destination, goal, or reason. You just pick a path and go along for the ride just because. Reading your updates make me miss traveling. I haven't left home in awhile.

Not all those who wander are lost.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:30:51 PM by PRINCESS. »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 25, 2013, 12:10:50 AM »
is that girl in the video your laos girlfriend? ;D

Looks like somebody is hook on Laos haha.  But I don't blame you, when i went tp Thailand and laost for a few months a few years back, I had the best times of my life!!!  I don't regret nothing about it, I missed those times so much.  Im married now, I can't do it anymore.  It's only a blast when you're still single, so enjoy all you can while you're still single.

Hey Baddabing! I was jus thinking about you and your famous CHEAP GIRLS in Laos! I could of used one of them last night!!! HAHAHAHA

Seriously, thanks for checking on me. I wish you were here, we could be shutting this town down! Anyways, thanks for the well wishes.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 25, 2013, 12:12:09 AM »
Awesome LHG, I hope you're enjoying yourself. Sometimes you don't need a destination, goal, or reason. You just pick a path and go along for the ride just because. Reading your updates make me miss traveling. I haven't left home in awhile.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Hey Princess... Thanks for the well wishes and kind words.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 25, 2013, 12:34:59 AM »
Last Day, Last minutes in Vientiane!!!

Today, this morning will be my last day in Vientiane. I will be checking out of this HOTEL in a few minutes and will be taking a bus to see my Grandmother in KM52.

Got up with the sun this morning... or a little before the sun actually. I walked down to the street and jogged for about 3 miles along the Mekong River. I have always liked running, metaphorically speaking, running from my troubles. But as I am older, I realize, all the trouble/obstacles in my way ARE my life. They are apart of me and they are what makes me who I am. For better or for worst, I am thankful for the lessons in my life.

I came back to the Hotel, took a hot shower (probably my last hot shower for awhile) and went down the street to have breakfast. Breakfast was a loaf of bread with condense milk and a cup of coffee. Still, my stomach has not settle and I am not very hungry. There were very few people on the River today, as it was a school day and most of the kids were at school. I took some pictures of the River and try to imagine what it must like 30 years ago when my parents had to cross this river. I try to imagine what it must be like on that faithful night, when my parents rented a speed boat and begged a Lao couple to help my family cross the river... I can only imagine the fear my parents must have felt, carrying 2 small childrens on their backs and all their possessions in one bag. I can only imagine the desperation my parents felt, the need to survive, the need to give my sister and I a better life. At that every moment, before they step on that boat to cross the Mekong, I wonder if my parents could have imagine the incredible journeys ahead of them... the journey to Thailand, living in Ban Vanai, then settling in the USA. I wonder if this was all planned....

My own journey is still ahead of me, my part in this story has not ended and I am hopeful for tomorrow.

I am leaving for the bus station now... I will update you all if and when I on the net again. Until then...

Happy Travels,

LHG

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #313 on: March 25, 2013, 11:50:13 AM »
LHG, sounds like you're having yourself an awesome time so far!  The hotel you stayed at, i was wondering if it was close to Xay Soun Boun & Ca Lurn Xai hotel.  Those are the hotels I stayed at during my time in Vientiane.  It took me about 2 days to get used to the sewage-like smell in Vientiane.  The smell gave me a pretty bad migrane at first.

You should visit the morning market @ 4am.  It was an awesome experience for me see vendors of all sorts bring in their goods to sale for the day. But i guess you wont be doing that since you're going to KM52. lol.

Speaking of KM52, if you happen to stay at the Hmong motel, Xeng XaVan.  Just down the road from the KM52 market, you should say hi to a girl name KaBao Vang for me. Lol.  She works the lobby in that hotel and i've gotten to know her during my previous trip there. Just ask her if she rememebers the guy who she took out for some sour fish @ Dao Tao. :P

The motel  Xeng XaVan was pretty nice, but it kinda stinked as well.  Before coming back to the USA i discovered another motel that just opened up which had brand new matress and sheets and everything.  You should check out Motel/guest house, SALAK.  Up the street from the KM52 market. 

Stay safe, have fun, and Keep us posted on your trip.  O0

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 25, 2013, 08:52:51 PM »
LHG, sounds like you're having yourself an awesome time so far!  The hotel you stayed at, i was wondering if it was close to Xay Soun Boun & Ca Lurn Xai hotel.  Those are the hotels I stayed at during my time in Vientiane.  It took me about 2 days to get used to the sewage-like smell in Vientiane.  The smell gave me a pretty bad migrane at first.

You should visit the morning market @ 4am.  It was an awesome experience for me see vendors of all sorts bring in their goods to sale for the day. But i guess you wont be doing that since you're going to KM52. lol.

Speaking of KM52, if you happen to stay at the Hmong motel, Xeng XaVan.  Just down the road from the KM52 market, you should say hi to a girl name KaBao Vang for me. Lol.  She works the lobby in that hotel and i've gotten to know her during my previous trip there. Just ask her if she rememebers the guy who she took out for some sour fish @ Dao Tao. :P

The motel  Xeng XaVan was pretty nice, but it kinda stinked as well.  Before coming back to the USA i discovered another motel that just opened up which had brand new matress and sheets and everything.  You should check out Motel/guest house, SALAK.  Up the street from the KM52 market. 

Stay safe, have fun, and Keep us posted on your trip.  O0

Hey Buddy! Good to hear from you, across the ocean, across mountains and across borders! I will go visit Kabao!! LOL, I hope she gives me the same treatment she gave you. LOL... just kidding!

Thanks for checking on me! Wish you were here!

LHG

Advertisements