Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 227005 times)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #315 on: March 25, 2013, 08:57:28 PM »
Good Morning All – I just went back and re-read some of my entries and I am sorry about all the misspellings and grammar errors. In my mind, I had a story to tell and in my mind, I knew exactly what I was trying to convey to everyone, but it would seem that did not happen. I apologize. I know I am not a very good writer and I was very tired from jetlag, but those should not be excuses for such poor writing. I am sorry; I will try to do better.

So…to catch everyone up to speed on where I am, I left Vientiane 2 days ago. I caught the 2:00 PM bus to KM52, a town that got its’ name from being exactly 52 Kilometers away from the city of Vientiane.

The bus ride from Vientiane to KM52 in of itself was uneventful, other than the fact that we left later than scheduled. One thing to always keep in mind when traveling in Laos is that schedules can change at a moment’s notice and often do. Our bus was schedule to leave at 2:00 PM, but we did not leave until almost 2:30 because we did not have enough passengers. There was only one way to get from Vientiane to KM52, Highway 13.  This main road runs from Vientiane to KM52 and to all parts north like Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang, and Phonsavan. In Laos, the number 13 does not hold the same superstitions and connotations as it does here in the USA. In Laos, it is just another road. Small towns dot Highway 13, with some homes and businesses built within inches of the busy traffic. Kids, pedestrians, animals, speeding cars and motorcycles, all are within inches of each other and all without the slightest conflict. I am sure this is normal for them and that my cause for concern is unwarranted.

I grabbed a sit in the front of the bus, mainly because of habit and because I wanted a view of the road ahead. As a kid, I got car sick easily and having a seat at the front with a view of the horizon helped out a lot.  Fortunately for me, as I grew older, my motion sickness subsided. Sitting next to me in the front row was a Laotian lady, she smiled as she sat down but we did not speak. Across the isle from me sat two young Laotian men, who I believe were good friends. Directly behind me were a young Hmong girl and her mother…  and the two of them carried a conversation during the entire trip to KM52.

Despite my best efforts to drum out the conversation between the young Hmong girl and her mother, and to only mind my own business, their dialogue drew me in. As it turns out, the young girl is engage to an American husband and her business in Vientiane was an interview with the American Consulate for a Fiancée Visa. For reasons not known to me, she did not pass her interview and did not receive permission to enter the USA. Her and her mother lived in KM52 and are on their way home after hearing the disappointing news. She was in tears and her mother, like most mothers, was trying her hardest to console her child who seem to be in great pain. I wanted to say something, but I could neither find the courage nor the right words to say. So, I kept silent.

As I sat there watching the beautiful road ahead of me, I am constantly reminded of the slow pace of life in Laos. The road is littered with cows and some occasionally stops in the middle of the road while crossing it, while trying to find greener pasture on the other side. The bus driver had to slow down often and used his horn many times. Water buffalos wallow in the empty rice fields, which were harvested months ago, and soaking in knee high mud. There was a fruit or Vegetable stall at every corner and turn in the road, with their owners taking naps inside. Banana leaves and coconut tress swayed in the distance. Suddenly,  I felt calm and peace again, suddenly, I knew why I have come back. And suddenly, memories of the sleepless from the days before melted away. I took a depth breath and I closed my eyes to take in the grandeur of this moment. I was in Laos again.

I arrived in KM52 a little before 4:00 PM; the trip took a little over an hour. The main KM52 bus terminal is located in the heart of town and sits directly behind the main market. We came to a stop, the doors swung open and a warm humid breeze rushed in. Everyone shuffled out, carrying only what they have brought in with them. I grab my laptop bag and my carry-on and step into the hot sun. Again, I wanted to say something to the young Hmong girl and her mom, but instead, I kept quite as they walked away and out of sight. Thankfully, my cousins had taken the 2 large suitcases filled with gifts and toys with them a few days earlier. It would have been a lot of work trying to carry 4 suitcases by myself. First priority after getting off the bus was to get to a Cell Phone vendor and purchase a SIM card… before my trip; I had hacked into my IPHONE and needed to get a SIM card so I can be on Laos’s phone network. I found a phone vendor on the other side of KM52 market and purchase a SIM card for 40,000 kip or about 8 dollars. I also purchased a phone card for 10,000 kip so I can call my cousin to pick me up, I was in town.

My cousins are still very poor, even by Laos’ standards. He and his family of 5 lives in a modest 2 bedroom house made mostly of bamboo sitting on a dirt floor. The house is located down a dirt road away from the Highway 13 on the north side of KM52, a good 15 minutes by scooter from KM52 Market. This house sits among 5-6 other houses, all without order and all with dirt paths leading to their front doors. On either sides of his house are sugar canes, bananas and papayas. In the back of the house is where they keep their chickens and a large pig that’s locked in his pen. Firewood is stacked neatly on the side of the house and there are cloths lines nearby where they can hang their freshly washed laundry. There is a communal water well about 30 yards away this is shared by all 6 houses and is their only source of water.

I arrived to a full house, about 15-20 people all cram into my cousin’s small home, a house that is no bigger than my living room. Everyone, it seemed, was staring and smiling at me. A hug here, a handshake there, everyone greeted me and not a single eye was dry. I opened the 2 large suitcases and passed the gifts I had, trying to remember exactly who got what. Everyone got something and soon both suitcases were empty. Everyone was so thankful and everyone had a smile, something that I rarely seen Hmong-Lao do. That night, I ate with people, I had conversations with friends, and I slept knowing that there were love ones nearby. It was good to be in Laos and to be with family again.

Until my next trip to the internet café…. Happy travels.

LHG

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:38:29 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

baddabing

« Reply #316 on: March 26, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »
Hey Baddabing! I was jus thinking about you and your famous CHEAP GIRLS in Laos! I could of used one of them last night!!! HAHAHAHA

Seriously, thanks for checking on me. I wish you were here, we could be shutting this town down! Anyways, thanks for the well wishes.

LHG

Traveling is the best medicine for life and best fun you can have. 

enjoy. :)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:14:13 AM by baddabing »

AOZ

« Reply #317 on: March 26, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »
how exciting!  hope all is well in Laos LNH. 

i'm very excited for my mil and her friends... they will be going to Vietnam and Laos in a few weeks!  they are so very excited!!  they will be there for almost a month.   life is so much more exciting with adventures! 

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 26, 2013, 11:59:34 AM »
It's very nice of you to bring us Phers along on your trip.. Thru your eyes, we've learned much too.  I've people who wanted to travel soon to Laos and i've researched on air fare, they are expensive.  Did you get a good rate on yours?  Did you go thru an agent?

Have a safe trip..

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 26, 2013, 07:22:09 PM »
Traveling is the best medicine for life and best fun you can have. 

enjoy. :)

Travelling???!!!, I am moving here! hehehehe.

Thanks for the well wishes.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 26, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »
how exciting!  hope all is well in Laos LNH. 

i'm very excited for my mil and her friends... they will be going to Vietnam and Laos in a few weeks!  they are so very excited!!  they will be there for almost a month.   life is so much more exciting with adventures!

AOZ -

I am doing great! Thanks for asking. Yes, life is about enjoying the simple things!

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 26, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »
It's very nice of you to bring us Phers along on your trip.. Thru your eyes, we've learned much too.  I've people who wanted to travel soon to Laos and i've researched on air fare, they are expensive.  Did you get a good rate on yours?  Did you go thru an agent?

Have a safe trip..

Hey Champa... This song reminds me of your name. Enjoy!

For this trip, I did not use a travel agent. I went thru Vayama.com. Here are the details.

SFO to ICN, ICN to HAN, HAN to VTE

San Francisco to Korean, Korean to Hanoi, Hanoi to Vientiane, with a 10 hour layover in Hanoi.

Price   Ticket Type
1 Adult(s) $ 762.00 
Taxes and Fees $ 147.70

Service Credit Discount $ -50.00 

Total $ 859.70 USD
   Electronic Tickets (Note: Your ticket should be issued as electronic. If for any reason we must issue Paper Tickets, we will notify you in advance.) 

Charges on your credit card
Vayama $ 859.70 USD 
I got a 50.00 dollar coupon by going to Vayama.com and filling out a customer survey. I only paid 859.70, flying out of San Francisco. It may be more if you're in the midwest.

Good luck and Happy Travels,

LHG

PRINCESS.

« Reply #322 on: March 26, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »
I arrived to a full house, about 15-20 people all cram into my cousin’s small home, a house that is no bigger than my living room. Everyone, it seemed, was staring and smiling at me. A hug here, a handshake there, everyone greeted me and not a single eye was dry. I opened the 2 large suitcases and passed the gifts I had, trying to remember exactly who got what. Everyone got something and soon both suitcases were empty. Everyone was so thankful and everyone had a smile, something that I rarely seen Hmong-Lao do. That night, I ate with people, I had conversations with friends, and I slept knowing that there were love ones nearby. It was good to be in Laos and to be with family again.

Until my next trip to the internet café…. Happy travels.

LHG

Gosh darnit, who is cutting onions?   :'(

Thanks for sharing that.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 26, 2013, 07:32:37 PM »
Good Morning my PH Brothers and Sisters… I hope everyone is well this fine day.

So, I have been here in KM52 for two days now. Mornings are cool, afternoons are hot but not humid and the evenings are warm and comfortable. Every morning, I am up with the rosters. With so little time, I would hate to waste it on sleep. There is so much going on and I feel like I want to take it all in.

There is no other way to describe it, I love KM52. Even since my first visit here, I am fascinated with this town. Yesterday morning, I put on my jogging shoes and ran 2.5 miles to the KM52 market. It was an amazing site to see what everyone brought to sale at the market… old ladies with baskets of roots on their backs, young Hmong girls pushing hand carts full of vegetables, and mothers with their kids, carrying bundles of greens.

I stop by an old Hmong lady and her daughter, they were selling pineapples and sour mangos. The sweet smell attracted my attention, the pineapple that is NOT the girl. As I leaned over to take a sniff of the spinney fruit, the old lady smiled at me. We traded greetings and she asked if I like pineapples. Having had tart pineapples in the States before, I was reluctant to answer her. But I guess I a sucker for a pretty face because her daughter smiled and that was all the convincing I needed. Having turned my attention and conversation to the daughter, she told me that they started out at 5:00 AM and had walked all morning to get to the market. Whether this was true or not, the guilt was getting to me. I quickly pulled the emergency money I kept in my sweaty armband and asked her how much each pineapple was.

“8,000 kip”, she said with a bright smile on her face.

They only had a dozen or so of the pineapples…so, I told her I would take 5 and handed her my 50,000 kip bill. There is a lesson to be learned here, if you’re out jogging and see a pretty girl selling pineapples, think about how you’re going to carry 5 pineapples for 2.5 miles… BEFORE you buy them. It took me almost an hour to get home.

The old lady was right about the pineapples, they were very sweet!

At noon today, I will be heading to Nong Hai, another town with a large Hmong population. The trip is about 4 hours from here and I will be visiting my aunt there.

Talk to you all again when I get settle down!

LHG.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:40:45 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 26, 2013, 07:45:49 PM »
Gosh darnit, who is cutting onions?   :'(

Thanks for sharing that.

Hey Princess, No tears! Only good memories and good friends.

I don't know you very well, do you have family in Laos? Have you been here before?

It was a pleasure sharing with you and I am glad you took the time to read it. Everything written here is from the heart.

LHG

Visionary

« Reply #325 on: March 27, 2013, 10:42:07 AM »
LHG,

You write beautifully. I enjoy your reading about your adventures. Keep it up!  8)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 27, 2013, 05:01:33 PM »
LHG,

You write beautifully. I enjoy your reading about your adventures. Keep it up!  8)

Visionary - thanks for stopping by and thank you for taking the time to read them, appreciate the feedbacks.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 27, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »
Good Morning my PH Family…

Greetings from the town of Nong Hai, or is it None Hai? However it is spelled, it is a beautiful small town surrounded by vast fields of rice patties and rolling green hills. It is actually cold this morning. It is still dark outside but the sun is trying to come thru… and more importantly, my internet connection is up today.

My cousin, who had nothing better to do, had decided to come with me on my trip to None Hai… I wanted the company and needed a translator. We walked down the dirt road from his house to Route 13 and waited for our transportation . My cousin waved down an old Toyota Truck, which had been converted to accommodate bench seats and a roof covering the back but had no doors or windows. There was a Laotian sign on the front of the truck said “NONE HAI”. Already inside the truck were 2 Laotian ladies and a middle age Laotian man, an old Hmong man, and a young Hmong mother and her son, all heading in the direction of None Hai.

The bench seats were firm and the ride is bumpy in some parts. Having grabbed a seat that was facing the sun, I reach over to pull the cloth screen for some shade. Now with shade from the bright sun, I noticed a look of concern on the young Hmong woman’s face and that her child was slumping over, not at all active like a child of his age should be. Her nails were dirty and her hands were rough and coarse, evidence of her hard life, I assumed. She wore a Lao skirt that had numerous mending and a dark blouse that had been washed too many times. On her feet was a pair of tattered sandals. The small boy had dark circles around his eyes and there was evidence of tape marks on his arm.

I smiled and asked the young mother where she was heading. She told me they were on their way home, after spending the last 3 days in a hospital near KM52. The small clinic in her village was inadequate to treat her sick son she told me. Her son had a stone in his gallbladder and has not been able to eat in days. The hospital in KM52 released them because she was out of money and that the child seemed to be doing better. I told her I was sorry, which seem to be of very little comfort to a worried mother… my happy mood from earlier was now gone.

None Hai is directly west of KM52 as shown on any map. However, there are no direct roads heading west. You must travel up Highway 13 for about an hour, just before the town of Hin Heup, before turning west and making a huge U turn down to reach None Hai. For those that can remember, the bridge at Hin Heup is where a large group of Hmong people died, while trying to flee Laos in the last days of the Vietnam War. As a child, I remember my father telling me this story about a group of Hmong refugees, trying to flee Laos, trying to follow Vang Pao into Thailand. A group of Hmong soldiers, one that supported the communist party, had set up a road block at Hin Heup and was guarding the bridge. The refugees were told to turn back and go back to their homes and when they refused, they were fired upon and many were killed. My father also went on to say, our family crossed the Hin Heup Bridge just the day before the massacre occurred, an undertaking I am most thankful for til this day.

The road leading west towards None Hai, away from the Hin Heup Bridge, is only partially paved and can be very dusty in some areas. We travelled for another hour before we came to a large town with a rest stop. The name of the town eludes me now, but everyone said we were about half way to None Hai. Everyone exited the truck, except for the young Hmong mother and her son.

My cousin and I walked over to the food section of this rest stop to stretch our legs and to see what there was for sale. I purchased 2 sodas, a kilo of the BBQ pork, some sticky rice and 2 bottles of water before heading back to our truck. The driver was already waving us in as the last few people finished using the bathrooms. I handed the young Hmong mother the BBQ pork, sticky rice and bottle waters. An uneasy smile came across her face as she said thank you, her voice trembled. At that very moment, I could only think of my own son and knotted my head in reply. The young mother and her son exited at the next town.

Today, I will explore the town of None Hai; perhaps visit the hills and farms nearby.

LHG

Like this post: +1

SleeplessBeauty

« Reply #328 on: March 27, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »
Thank you for sharing your journey with us back at home. You write beautifully and through your words, I was able to travel with you and see the proverty in our hmong people. Makes me appreciate what I have here more.

PRINCESS.

« Reply #329 on: March 27, 2013, 06:51:48 PM »
Hey Princess, No tears! Only good memories and good friends.

I don't know you very well, do you have family in Laos? Have you been here before?

It was a pleasure sharing with you and I am glad you took the time to read it. Everything written here is from the heart.

LHG

Formerly PRINCESS. here.

Well, most of my immediate family members immigrated to the states before 1979. I wasn't born yet. I really have no desire to visit Laos and I've been given many opportunities to. However after reading through your blog, I do feel like I owe it to my dad and the ppl who sacrificed their lives to get us here. It's a big part of our history and perhaps I will visit one day.

Thanks for the updates. I enjoy reading them.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:50:21 PM by gnam »

Advertisements