Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 226989 times)

boO

Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #345 on: March 30, 2013, 09:33:48 AM »
LHG,

:knuppel2:

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 30, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »
I am super happy for you. You will have a great time with your date!

Sunrise... it's only a date in the sense that we're going somewhere together. Nothing will come of it, I am sure.

Thanks for the well wishes.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 30, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »
I actually do. Relatives from my mom's side of the family and from my wife's side. The majority of my immediate family is in Luang Prabang. On my next trip that is where I am heading.

Gawmp... I thought I saw someone who liked you in None Hai. LOL!

Very cool, you should come back during PbeeMai, I hear Luang Prabang is the place to be during this celebrations. Too bad, I will not make it up there this time.

Talk to you soon!

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 30, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »
LHG,

:knuppel2:

Boo! Why beat me up? LOL.

Thanks for stopping by.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 30, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »
Shopping with May in None Hai.

My buddy emails me this link today… he’s cracking up and says that I should view it. I will have to admit, it is pretty funny!

So I borrowed my aunt’s scooter, a Chinese made motorcycle that costs about 800.00 dollars new. The engine is rated at 100cc and it can go as fast as 20-30 miles per hour. However, I highly recommend you don’t try it. Most roads aren’t paved and loose gravel will send you crashing. For most Hmong families in Laos, a scooter is their fist major purchase and the sole transportation vehicle for the family. I have seen whole families, 4-5 people, all riding on one scooter to get somewhere.

May was already waiting outside her shop when I got to her house a little before 10. She had skinny jeans and a pink t-shirt on, her hair tied in a pony tail, she looked beautiful. The shirt read, “living the single life”, but I doubt she knew what the writings meant. I smiled and she step onboard. She wrapped her arms around waist and squeezed tight, a feeling I have not felt for so long. It felt good to be held again. Back when I was still in college, I used to pick up my ex-wife in the same way. Memories came rushing back to me, as she leaned her head on my back. The rush of the wind was a relief to what seem like a hot day ahead of us. There is no other way to describe it, but there is a freedom that comes with riding a motorcycle and only those that have ridden one can appreciates it.

From my aunt’s house to None Hai, it was a good 30 minutes as we did not rush and there was no urgent need to be there. The market at None Hai is very similar to the market in KM 52 in size and feel. Towards there front, you will find clothing, tools, shoes, cell phones, dishes and everyday household items. On the back end, they sell fruits, vegetables, meat and livestock. And finally, along the back wall are a couple of sit down restaurants where you can a bowl of pho. 

I needed a phone card for my internet connection, so our first stop was at the cell phone vendors near the front of the market. Next was a couple of t-shirts, souvenirs for my brothers back home. May is a very savvy shopper, a trait she must have picked up after being single and having to support herself for so long. Without her usual smile, she bargained down 4 shirts from 20,000 kip each to 15,000 each. Later, she told me the shopkeeper was trying to rip me off as she knew I was from America. 20,000 kip was only 3 dollars to me and I would have gladly paid the asking price, it didn’t seem a big deal to me. I asked May if she had ripped me off too, when she sold me that bottle water a few days earlier for 8,000 kip. She giggled and smiled.

After an hour or so of shopping and when it seemed like the whole market was staring and following us, we decided to sit down and have a bowl of pho… as we were walking back to our scooter; she reached out and held my hand. Her warm palm was so inviting and sincere. I giggled and smiled.

That’s it for today, it’s late and I am tired. So, good night and see you all tomorrow.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 31, 2013, 01:29:37 AM »
Good Morning PH… greetings from Laos!

Tomorrow will be my last day here in None Hai as I will be heading back to KM52. My grandmother wants me home because she has prepared a “hu plig” ceremony for me, a very special honor in Hmong culture I am told. I have mix feelings about leaving None Hai, a part of me truly wants to stay.

Life in None Hai is very easygoing, something that’s in short supply in my life right now. Each morning, everyone gathers around the fire as breakfast is being prepared. And each evening, all the little girls gather around the well, waiting for their turn to draw water. Mothers stop to gossip about the days work. Kids play with marbles in the streets. Is it so bad to live like this, I keep thinking to myself. If given the choice, would I want to live here? Could I survive here? Would I still love it here after a month or a year’s time? Or would I fall out of love like we sometime do? Perhaps, some questions are better left unanswered.

May invited me to her house for dinner after I dropped her off from our trip to None Hai market. I know I have only met this woman a few days ago, but it feels like we have been life long friends. I happily accepted her offer.

May lives in an attached room behind her store. There are no windows, just a door that leads to the bathroom in the back. Inside her room sits her bed, a large dresser, her TV and a small refrigerator.  Her dinning table is made of bamboo and hangs on her wall when not in use. May has an electric rice cooker and a small wooden stove that she uses for cooking and heat, she tells me. Hanging on her wall are pictures of her families and friends, her mother is just as pretty as her.

Not wanting to raise any suspension with her neighbors, May also invited her aunt and uncle to join us for dinner. I guess in Hmong culture, it’s forbidden for an unmarried woman to have dinner alone with a man. They were very nice people and were very easy to talk to. Without their help and guidance, it would have been impossible to launch her store, May told me. She loves and cares for them dearly. Dinner was simple but good; we had deep fried pork skin boiled with green vegetables, chicken with tofu and pumpkin boiled in water, served cold.

After dinner, her uncle and aunt left. We sat at her store and talked long into the night, like two teenage kids. Being with this woman gave me great peace. I will miss her.

Today, we are at my aunt’s farm, pulling “qos ntooj”. It’s hot and it’s hard work, but right now it is also lunch time and some needed rest. 

Talk to you soon,

LHG

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:32:49 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 31, 2013, 12:11:54 PM »
Good Evening PH…    

Today was hot, the kind of heat that makes you lazy and slow, and if you stop to rest, getting up again seems almost impossible.

Here in None Hai, there are 3 types of crops that the Hmong peoples like to grow… qos ntooj (Manioc Root), Coix, and Rice. The manioc root and coix seed are considered “cash crops”, which means they are grown to be sold for money only. Rice, on the other hand, is grown for the family and only in very good years that any leftover are sold at the market. Most families will grow either Coix or Manioc root in addition to their rice farms. Some families, typically the larger and more ambitious families will grow all three in a single season. As you can already guess, this is very hard work and everyone must pitch in.

This year, in addition to her rice field, my aunt also grew some manioc roots. There is a modern tapioca factory just north of None Hai that buys the manioc roots. Prices range from 1800 to 2000 kip per kilo, not very much considering how much work was put into it. But in Laos, there are few opportunities to make money, so even backbreaking work is considered a blessing to some. We arrived at her farm in the same “thseb liaj” we used earlier to visit the caves. There were 10 of us in all, if you consider this slightly lazy American as part of the group. We worked from 7 in the morning until about 11, and then rested for a couple of hours to have lunch and escape the midday sun. Around 2, the work begins again and we were done by 5, just as the sun was starting to set in the west. I have never worked so hard in my life, pulling, digging and carrying manioc roots all day long.

Strange as it might sound, I enjoyed the manual labor; I might even go as far as to say I loved it. In my office back in the States, I sit in front of a PC for 8 hours with an hour for lunch in between. My only contact with people is an occasion hi or hello in the hallways, while emails and phone calls are the norm. I have a window that looks into the parking lot, there’s not a blade of grass or a clump of dirt. I can’t tell if it is hot or cold and I can’t smell the fresh air. My feet are never dirty. When I go home, my work comes with me in the pages and texts that I am constantly receiving on my phone. Sometimes, I wonder, who is truly living the good life, them or us?

As soon as we got home, I ran over to visit May. She was getting ready to close up shop and smiled an uneasy smile as she greeted me. She noticed the blisters on my hands and asked how I was doing. I wanted to tell her how much I missed her, but I did not say. She brought me a glass of water and asked if I had eaten…I am not sure is it was just customary or if she really wanted to cook me dinner again. I told her I was not hungry and that I just wanted to see her. She told me she already heard the news that I was heading back to KM52 tomorrow. As she turned away from me, I could the tears trickling down her face. I wanted to hold her, but did not. I am sorry, I said.

We talked all evening, exchanging numbers and pictures. It was late and I said goodnight to May. I promised her I will visit in morning before I leave. So, here I am, sitting on my bed… for the first time in None Hai, I am lonely.

I am not looking forward to tomorrow.

LHG.   

boO

« Reply #352 on: March 31, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »
LHG

:'(

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 31, 2013, 10:07:36 PM »
LHG

:'(

No tears boo... it's not the end of the road.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 31, 2013, 10:10:31 PM »
Good Morning all...

This morning I am at a lost for words… I can barely form an idea or hold a thought in my head. It took me several minutes just to find the right words to start this blog. Nothing has changed, but everything about today, this morning and this minute seems different.

Late last night, a thunderstorm blew into None Hai, bringing rain, wind and a lighting show. A perfect reflection of how I was feeling, I am sure. This morning, the rain was gone, the wind passed, and the sky is as blue as the ocean. This morning, there is a cool breeze blowing and a beautiful sunrise came to greet me.

I love everything about the rain. It has a wonderful way of cooling things down, a welcome relief from the oppressive heat we felt yesterday. The rain has settled down the dust and has brightened everything in sight. Perhaps the rain is telling me it is time to leave, clearing the road of dust going back KM52.

It just amazes me how fast life can change… how really wonderful life is and how we must really live each moment. Sometimes, we are blinded by our needs for security and material things that we forget what’s really happen in front of us. Today is the perfect example of that… I could spend all morning being depressed about leaving None Hai and about leaving May, or I could take this opportunity to say good bye to May and tell her how I feel. I think I will go visit May now…

Next time you hear from me, I will probably be in KM52. Until then, happy travels.

LHG

PRINCESS.

« Reply #355 on: March 31, 2013, 10:27:28 PM »
LonelyHmgGuy, your stories remind me of Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist. If you want something badly enough, the world will conspire to make it come true.  O0

MilesDaddy

« Reply #356 on: March 31, 2013, 10:49:16 PM »
cool bro, cool stories and cool pics and videos... Thank you for posting her in Ph land but you should have made a BLOG, would have been more of a private place for you to share your stories and pics from your journey

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #357 on: April 01, 2013, 02:36:45 PM »
Alright LHG!!! Havent been back reading your blog for a while.  But you make me proud! I'm rooting for you and this girl May. :D  I visited None-Hai while i was in Laos too.  But most of my experience was only at the main market and a guesthouse nearby.  I was told there were plenty of pretty girls in Non-Hai, but i didnt even get the chance to see any while i was there. :(

I know how you're feeling bro.  Its the same exact feeling i had with this girl i met in Phonsavan.  Although we just met, it felt like we've already known each other for years already.  And her attitude, character and values were so attractive.  On the day i left, she made me boiled chicken and rice for my trip.  Her act of kindness set my heart trembling.

Speaking of traveling back, have you visited a town called Pak-Sa and Mueng Fueng that is in between None-Hai and KM52? The view of the Pak-Sa cliffs are breath taking.  Keep us posted!  And you should definitely go back to visit May!  Safe trip bro!

NceegVaj

« Reply #358 on: April 01, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »
Dang.  That video really screwed Hmong reputation.

Oh...LHG, did May and you made it?

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 01, 2013, 04:55:53 PM »
LonelyHmgGuy, your stories remind me of Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist. If you want something badly enough, the world will conspire to make it come true.  O0

What I really want is a FAN or AC right now... it is hot here! LOL.

I have not read The Alchemist, but sounds like a good book.

LHG

Advertisements