Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 227126 times)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #375 on: April 02, 2013, 05:05:04 PM »
Hey LHG, it'd be nice if you could share some pictures.

Hey Sleepless... unless I am at the main internet cafes in town, my wireless internet connection is dog slow. I have to either be up before 6:00 AM for wait til after 10:00 PM to use it.  And even then, uploading and downloadking pics literally takes 10-15 minutes per pix. I will upload my pix after I get back, promise.

LHG

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 02, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »
Hello PH Family… Greetings from the “Land of a Million Elephants”

Arghhhh… I am so sorry for the short update last night, I told everyone it was a long day and that I was tired. But, what I did not say was that I had a pounding headache, the price I paid for drinking Beer Lao all afternoon. One thing about hangovers, they all hurt just the same, regardless of which continent or country you’re in. I am shock that I remembered to update you at all, let alone form understandable and complete sentences.

In Laos, family ties are still very strong, much stronger than their Hmong counterparts in the US, I believe. They depend and need on each other in ways that we can no longer understand or feel. For example, almost every relative that lived in KM52 came to help celebrate my “hu plig” ceremony yesterday. This is not an exaggeration, everyone, including the more distant relatives came to help cook food, eat and clean up. There were even some who came just because they were of the same clan name. It has always been this way, my grandmother tells me. During the planting and harvesting of crops, everyone offers a helping hand. If you’re done with yours, you go help your cousins, your aunts, your uncles or your in-laws. And if they are the ones to be done first, they come and help you. That’s just the way things are, all for the sake of the family and all for free. Only by doing things this way, could we have survived for so long my grandmother tells me.

Beer Lao comes in 330 ml and 640 ml bottles or 330 ml cans and is the national beer. In fact, it’s the only beer sold in Laos. After the main meal and after most of our guests have left, my cousin and I walked down to the corner store and purchased 2 cases of 12 – 640ml bottles and 4 bags of ice. Rarely, will you ever find a cold or refrigerated beer in Laos. Each case costs 90,000 kip or a little over 10.00 US Dollars. There were 5-6 of us, just talking, eating, sharing stories and having a good time. Soon, the beer was gone.

My young cousin, whom I am guessing has not been drunk many times before, decided to open the 1.75 liter of Jack Daniels I had brought him as a present from America. At some point during our drinking, a couple of the young ladies from the neighborhood had come to join us. Both ladies were recently divorced, probably in their late 20s and were living with their brothers nearby. Having a couple of women totally changes the dynamics of our conversation.. . we were now talking about relationships and heartbreaks. After a few more shots, the conversation turned to sex, lies and betrayals. I have never laughed so hard in my life. And wow!!! Can those ladies drink!? At one point, they even got my poor little cousin, who has never ever sung before, to “hai kwv txhiaj” on a dare.

My young cousin eventually got dragged away by his wife, the two ladies left and we all went to bed. Good times in Laos.

Today, I am going to explore KM52 and maybe find where the cheap hotels are, before May gets here.  I am only kidding, just kidding!

Talk to you all soon,

LHG

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:38:02 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

boO

« Reply #377 on: April 02, 2013, 06:18:44 PM »
I don't want you to kid around though... >:(

SleeplessBeauty

« Reply #378 on: April 02, 2013, 06:21:56 PM »
I couldn't help but noticed the few ladies that you've met are all divorcees.  I thought hmong americans are the ones with the high divorce rate but I guess not?  Is it just as common there?

NceegVaj

« Reply #379 on: April 03, 2013, 08:48:41 AM »
I couldn't help but noticed the few ladies that you've met are all divorcees.  I thought hmong americans are the ones with the high divorce rate but I guess not?  Is it just as common there?

Divorcees are prevalent only recently (starting 1998).  Mostly due to fly-by-night night sex stand.  What I mean by that is, western Hmong and Hmong Thai goes to Laos and dated these girls.  Arranged as "hog" purchase bribe (mostly are around $5,000) and took the girl around the country and have se.x every hotel they stay.   When he leaves Laos he can't take the girl so the girl stays behind with so and so relatives...so metime no relatives at all.  Thinking that they old man will return to pick her up the girl stayed over the years...and after 2 years the girl is abandoned due to immigration requirements, one-man one woman laws, etc.  So the far longer they are apart the more they likely to feel a distrust distant relations.  Eventually they lost connection and they both moved on.  The girl becomes burned meat.  After "no more money-gram" from the supposedly husband in the west...the only source of income she can gain is by prostituting or going on TojShit.com and con-Hmong american old men (once again).  Or they can play the deaf ear and screw newly arrived Hmong old men from the west for the new year.

THese stories are very true and serious.  It's happening everyday.  I sense that there is an urgent problem with Hmong Laos today.

1.  Many Hmong girls prostitutes (already reported by Radio Free Asia in Lao Language)
2.  Many Hmong girls will not have proper burial upon deaths.
3.  Skyrocketing STD's and HIV in Laos and spread them across USA via old men with their wives.
4. Anger young Hmong men in Laos against Hmong in the west (already happening)
5.  Overly annoyed, angered Hmong women in the USA.
6.  Increase divorce Hmong families in USA...until the OG  are gone (OG by definition, are those born in Thailand or Laos and got to USA when they were between 5 and 15 years old).
7.  Distrust will increase between Hmong Laos/USA.
8.  More dysfunctional families in USA
9.  Now more than ever Hmong Lao will try to rip and profit from the trend yielding some riches at the cost of many poor.
10.  No more moral...but... money.  Money, material love is the next norm for most Hmong boys and girls in major cities in Laos.

WAR !!!

People acted upon two emotions:     DESIRES   -or-   FEAR.

PLEASE START ACT WITH MORAL CHARACTERS.

LHG --> give us your first impression about the social economic issue with young people in Laos today.  Please thanks!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:54:24 AM by NceegVaj »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 03, 2013, 11:22:34 AM »
I don't want you to kid around though... >:(

Easy there... I have just met her.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 03, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »

Hey Sleepless...

Those were my exact thoughts... how could there be so many divorcees? From what I have seen, they marry way too young here. 14-15 is typical. By they time they are 20-21, they have grown apart and find that life is not as easy as they once thought. Husbands cheat, disregard their duties, wives become discontent and all you have left is a formula for diaster. I will touch on this somemore later... but in None Hai, I know of 4-5 and here, there are 3 divorced ladies within walking distance.

Talk to you soon,

LHG

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:47:26 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 03, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »
Just a face in the crowd…

It is with great sadness that I mourn the passing of my nephew today… I heard of his passing shortly after my return from the market in KM52. His mother and I share the same great grandfather, and she and I are of the same “generation” according to Hmong culture.

I met the nephew during my “hu plig” ceremony yesterday, briefly. In truth, I barely saw his face and only heard his name. In physical size, he was small and skinny; and he looked no bigger than a comparable US teenager of 13 or 14 years old. My sister says he just turned 18 not too long ago. My sister is the older wife in a plural marriage and my nephew is a middle child in a family with 11 kids, from both wives. Today, I learned that that my nephew had dropped out of school about 3 years ago to help his father with farming duties, a common practice in Laos for young men who comes from large families. With so many mouths to feed, there is tremendous pressure on the older kids to support the family as well.

My nephew and my sister had an argument about 4 days ago, while I was still in None Hai, my sister tells me. The argument was about him not being home, about him being out with his friends and girlfriend. It is the start of planting season in Laos and his help was needed to clear land for rice planting. She scolded him several times, she told me, but did not feel it was enough to drive him to do what he did.

Today, while I was at the market and exploring KM52, my nephew visited all of his friends and had a quick chat with those that he could find, he then walked over to the elementary school where his younger sisters and brothers were, and gave them the last of what little money had left. From there, he came home, took some “cucumber fertilizer” pills and walked out the front door. My sister saw him briefly and asked him where he was going… he said somewhere that is better than here and left. A relative saw him sitting under a tree in a cow field behind their house, the boy was already twitching and gasping for air, the poison had already passed into his blood stream.

My nephew was already dressed in traditional Hmong clothing and laying in the middle of my sister’s living room when I saw him. My nephew wasn’t sleeping, he wasn’t sick, my nephew was dead. I can only imagine the pain and grief my sister must be feeling right now. I can only imagine the guilt and blame she must hold for herself. What can I say and what can I do, tears were running down her face? I gave her a hug and then I called May to tell her how much I missed her.

Maybe tomorrow will be a better day…

Good night all,

LHG

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:34:00 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

SleeplessBeauty

« Reply #383 on: April 03, 2013, 11:55:31 AM »
Wow. Sorry you had to experience such tragedy.

NceegVaj

« Reply #384 on: April 03, 2013, 12:53:35 PM »
LHG, sorry for the boy story.   hey, be sure to show them divorcee a good time so they are not so be "lonely Hmong Gal" okay?

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #385 on: April 03, 2013, 03:15:46 PM »
LHG, your travel blog just did a 180 degree turn with the passing of your nephew.  My condolences to your family and your sister.  May he rest in peace.  There must be more to the story than just your sister scolding your nephew.  That alone would never drive someone to take his/her own life.

**Beer Lao***
I dont know about you, but drinking the Beer Lao was just like any other beer in the US.  Except the alcohol content was a lot stronger.  However, everytime I drink in Laos, there would be ice added, and that takes away most of the effects of alcohol.  I swore i never got a hangover in Laos, even after drinking 4-5 cases of those things with friends and family. Lol

Where exactly in KM52 do you stay? Is it in Nong-Nak?  I love the walks to all the little roads which weaves in and out of the village.  It was something i wish i did more of during my stay in KM52.  The market was just too hectic for me.

BTW, did you go say hello to KaBao yet? LOL!  Update us when May comes to visit.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 03, 2013, 05:30:42 PM »
Such a sad tragedy for a young man. My condolences to you and your family. May you all find comfort in eachother at this very moment.  :'( :'(

Thank you TH.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 03, 2013, 05:34:02 PM »
LHG, sorry for the boy story.   hey, be sure to show them divorcee a good time so they are not so be "lonely Hmong Gal" okay?

NceegVaj - You will be the first to know, I will PM you,  if *anything* should happen between May and I. OK?

Talk to you soon,

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 03, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »
LHG, your travel blog just did a 180 degree turn with the passing of your nephew.  My condolences to your family and your sister.  May he rest in peace.  There must be more to the story than just your sister scolding your nephew.  That alone would never drive someone to take his/her own life.

**Beer Lao***
I dont know about you, but drinking the Beer Lao was just like any other beer in the US.  Except the alcohol content was a lot stronger.  However, everytime I drink in Laos, there would be ice added, and that takes away most of the effects of alcohol.  I swore i never got a hangover in Laos, even after drinking 4-5 cases of those things with friends and family. Lol

Where exactly in KM52 do you stay? Is it in Nong-Nak?  I love the walks to all the little roads which weaves in and out of the village.  It was something i wish i did more of during my stay in KM52.  The market was just too hectic for me.

BTW, did you go say hello to KaBao yet? LOL!  Update us when May comes to visit.

Ya Bro... not what I was expecting or hoped for at all. But what can you do, it is what it is.

You're right, they don't have fridges here, so all the beers sit outside, in the heat all day. So when you go to drink them, you do have to put them in ice... just means it takes longer to get to my happy place.

I don't know what this town is called, but if you know KM52 at all, my cousins says it is where they used to have a bridge and collected a toll for crossing it. I hope that helps. I will ask him what the name is today.

I have not met Kabao yet.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 03, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »
Everyone…

I just wanted to say thank you to all, for all the well wishes. I very much appreciate them. No matter where we are or who we are with, life and death, the human experience still goes on. Again, I am gently reminded of how precious life really is and that no matter how rough things may seem, always, always have a second look.

I am still unsure of the real circumstances surrounding my nephew’s death but I am sure more will come out in the next few days. Regardless of what may have transpired, the fact is that my nephew is now gone and gone forever. He will never enter through his parent’s front doors again. He will never be sitting at the dining table for dinner again. And no matter how loud and long anyone calls his name; he will never ever answer. Right now, I am most concern about my sister’s part in this ordeal. She will forever have to live with her actions and the decisions she made. Regardless of her intentions or the outcome she wanted, I am sure she will always blame herself for what happen. In my opinion, the real tragedy in all of this is that she missed an opportunity to tell him that she loved him; instead, their last words together were spoken out of hate. And unfortunately, he left this good earth without ever knowing how much his mother loves him.

A lesson for the rest of us, never take any opportunity for granted. Tell your loved ones each and every chance you get, tell them what they mean to you and tell them you love them. As you have seen and as in my sister’s case, when her son walked out of their front door was the last time she saw him alive.

May and I talked briefly yesterday. She asked me how I was doing and if she should still come visit me. I told her I will probably be very busy the next few days. We both agree it would not be a good time for her to visit. I will see her on Sunday, a couple of days later than we had hoped, but that’s how life is sometimes. The best laid plans don’t always have happy endings.

I will be helping out with funeral arrangements for the next 2 days, so I will probably not be updating my blog as much. Thank you and I will talk to you all soon.

LHG

Advertisements