Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 227021 times)

baddabing

Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #420 on: April 16, 2013, 01:24:48 AM »
wont you share some nice pictures of Laos with us, you don't have to be in it.  Just some nice pictures will be appreciated.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 16, 2013, 06:38:59 AM »
LHG

;D

How awkward... :-[... I'm a female..

I do like girls but it's unfortunate I do not bat for the same team. I love *insert word* too much.

I wish may's there with you too.

Boo.. LOL.

Sorry... I am glad.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 16, 2013, 06:43:59 AM »
is it just the bars on/by the river shutting down, or the whole tourist area being shut down too?

It's sad that these white folks are so irresponsible and caused such problem to the area.  Now the locals there are afraid of the river and don't want to go near it, saying there's bad spirits in the river now that there's been many deaths in it.
Baddabing...

The tubing and kayak is still here, but all the bars, swings, and water slides are gone. NO more. For New Years, the city officials did allow a 3 day exception, but that ended today.

I was at the river side for the first day and had a blast, by my cousin says there is only 1/10 for the white tourist that usually comes here. I still had fun either way.

BTW - I am back in None Hai.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 16, 2013, 06:45:01 AM »
wont you share some nice pictures of Laos with us, you don't have to be in it.  Just some nice pictures will be appreciated.

PM your email and I will send you some. Uploading here is so slow.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 16, 2013, 06:58:11 AM »
Pandora's box

How does one pick up all the pieces of his life again, after so much has happen? How can one live the life he knew before, when so much has changed? When in your heart and in your soul, you know that things can never be the same again, things can never go back to the way they were? Think back to your own life and everyone has been here. A turning point in their life, that will forever shape your life. Whether it is your wedding day, your divorce, the birth of your baby, or the death of a love one, we all have has a defining point in our life. If NOT, I almost pity you and envy you.

Long ago, I remember the first time I lied to my mother and it broke her heart. From that point on, she knew I was no longer a child and my mother would never think of me as her baby again. In her eyes, that instance in my life, I have become an adult and a man. And not matter how hard we tried, she and I both knew we could never go back. Some wounds are just too deep and some doors can never be shut once opened.

Vang Vieng was all that I thought it would be and more... so much more. The limestone mountains are breathtaking. The weather was is mild and pleasant. The people are friendly.

Outside of my hotel room, the street is lined with kids, teenagers and even adults. Everyone has a bucket of water, a hose or a water guns in hand. As cars, motorcycles and pedestrians pass by, everyone is waved down and splashed with water. Some are offered a glass of beer and a sprinkle of tapioca powder. Load music fills the streets as truck loads full of people drive. Everyone is soaking wet and everyone has a smile on their face. If you ever want to be a kid or feel like one again, Pei Mai is your time and place in Laos.

Against my better judgement, I left Vang Vieng early, 2 days early. I am back in None Hai. I guess May had a bigger impact on my life than I thought. I am going to surprise her tomorrow when she opens her store!

Talk to you soon.

LHG

boO

« Reply #425 on: April 16, 2013, 07:00:41 AM »
LHG!

Yay! My friend and I predicted you'd follow May.  We are rooting for you.

Gawmp

« Reply #426 on: April 16, 2013, 07:48:20 AM »
LHG!

I believe May was the reason for the trip back in the first place  O0

LHG - share at least one pix of you and May even if the internet is dog slow. Just upload it and let it run and go chit chat with May and before you know it...it's done and posted...

Looks like you're having fun

lindavue

« Reply #427 on: April 16, 2013, 05:14:54 PM »
Does anyone how long does it take to get your passport and visa back from lao embassy in washington dc??

maipovci

« Reply #428 on: April 16, 2013, 06:57:03 PM »
Does anyone how long does it take to get your passport and visa back from lao embassy in washington dc??

two weeks max.

Gawmp

« Reply #429 on: April 17, 2013, 07:47:46 AM »

If you wanted faster, you can give them a call. On my last trip, I called and was able to talk to one of the hmong guy that was working there and he expedited mine and got it the next day.

lindavue

« Reply #430 on: April 17, 2013, 02:00:06 PM »
If you wanted faster, you can give them a call. On my last trip, I called and was able to talk to one of the hmong guy that was working there and he expedited mine and got it the next day.

I'm leaving this Saturday, and I have sent it last week with a prepaid overnight return envelope. Still I tried contacting them by emailing, calling and faxing and still no one seems to repsond to me. I did reach the hmong guy last week but he say he will call me back when he checks on it but no call. What's next if I don't get my passport back by friday? Anyone know another way i Can get it expedite or have them resend back my passport instead?

Gawmp

« Reply #431 on: April 18, 2013, 09:22:04 AM »
I'm leaving this Saturday, and I have sent it last week with a prepaid overnight return envelope. Still I tried contacting them by emailing, calling and faxing and still no one seems to repsond to me. I did reach the hmong guy last week but he say he will call me back when he checks on it but no call. What's next if I don't get my passport back by friday? Anyone know another way i Can get it expedite or have them resend back my passport instead?

Did you stress to him that you are leaving Saturday? If I were you, I'd call them back and tell them to expedite ASAP.

The hmong guy that i talked to was pretty good at getting back with me. When I called, I explained to him that it was getting really close to my departure date and I would like to have my passport and visa before my departure. He said he will check on it and told me to hold. He came back and said he will work on it and once he is done he will call me back. about 15-20 minutes later he called and said it was ready.

you only have today and tomorrow left....this is really pushing it....

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 20, 2013, 07:38:03 PM »
LHG!

Boo

I am glad I did not disappoint you! LOL. I hate to admit this, but you women have so much power over a man's heart.

LGH

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 20, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »
I believe May was the reason for the trip back in the first place  O0

LHG - share at least one pix of you and May even if the internet is dog slow. Just upload it and let it run and go chit chat with May and before you know it...it's done and posted...

Looks like you're having fun

I will share pictures, I promised! Right now, I am just too tired mentally.

Thanks for the well wishes.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 20, 2013, 08:05:05 PM »

Lindavue,

I am hoping you are already on your way to Laos with your passport. I apologize for not checking on this BLOG and not responding to you earlier.

For everyone else and for future reference, the process of getting your visa done with the Laos consulate in Washington should not take more than 2 weeks. However, there is no written policy or guarantee and you should allow yourself plenty of wiggle room.

Once the Laos Consulate has approved your Visa request, you will have 45 days to use it. This would mean you could send in your request as early as a month before your trip.

With my first trip to Laos, I took the same route you did and got my visa before heading to Laos. This time around, I got my visa "on arrival" and did not have any issues at all. Having done both now, I would highly recommend getting one "on arrival". It is fast, easy and a lot cheaper. In addition, you don't have to part with your passport and in your case, be in any danger of missing your flight.

LHG

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:11:53 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Advertisements