Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 227026 times)

NceegVaj

Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #465 on: April 26, 2013, 02:28:52 PM »
Master Author LHG,

Before you go...questions .

1.  Tell us more about the bribe bags this time you went; did you have bribe them $10-20 again? why?

2.  Those little ladies, they are the mother of the 2nd wife of Hmong American aren't they?

thank.s

Until next time…

Entering and leaving Laos, as far as I can relate, is like dating and breaking up with someone. Seriously, bear with me for a second and I will explain the similarities. When I first arrived in Laos, on what seems like months ago, I was filled with excitement, joy, hope and happiness. Somewhat like the start a relationship with someone new. Everything, every detail seemed like a source of joy and happiness. As soon as the plane landed, I was on my feet and already looking around. I could not wait another minute to get off and to step onto the street. The anticipation of seeing my cousins, the smell in the air, the heat, the humidity, everything about Laos, I wanted to see. Simply put, it was pure joy.

Now, with the thought of leaving Laos looming, my mood had completely changed to one of sorrow, regret and despair. Gone was the excitement, gone was the happy mood and gone was hope that I have had just a few weeks before. Regrettably, my relationship with Laos was coming to an end… and like most breakups, I was lost and miserable. Like a heart broken lover, I wanted nothing more than to delay the end that I knew was coming. I thought about everything that would stop that plane from taking off. Give me one more hour, one more day, please, I begged!  Coming home was the last thing I wanted to. Rather dramatic, I am sure, but those were the thoughts racing through my mind that day.

I settled into a chair in the waiting room in front of Gates1 and 2 at Wattay Airport on Saturday afternoon, a little bit past 5:00 PM. My carry-on bag was at my side and my lunch of boiled chicken and rice my cousins had made for me was clutch tightly in my hand. The rice and chicken was still warm to the touch and only made me miss everyone I was leaving behind even more.

Sitting a row over and to the right of me were 4 little old Hmong ladies. Despite the heat and humidity around us, the 4 little old ladies had on multiple layers of clothes, thick jackets and long black polyester pants, the kind of pants my own grandmother would often wear. On their necks, everyone had a thick white string that had been tied into a necklace. And on that necklace was a laminated 4x6 card with their names and flight numbers on it. Unlike me, they were very talkative and full of excitement. Even while sitting down, I see that 3 of the 4 little ladies were still carrying their backpacks; like what 3 little girls would do before the start of a trip to the beach or to Disneyland. Seeing how happy they were bought a smile and laughter to my face.

As it turns out, the 4 little old Hmong ladies were coming to America. All 4 of them were from Xieng Khouang however they weren’t related. 3 of the 4 ladies were heading to Fresno, California and the last and smallest one was going to Madison, Wisconsin. I can only imagine the fear they must have and the excitement they must feel. I can only wonder how they will make the leap from South East Asia to 20th Century USA. I can only imagine the culture shock, the things they will do, the people they will meet and the places they will visit, I envy them! And I hope they will have a good visit and a great time in America.

The 4 little old ladies and I boarded the same plane heading to Hanoi. With a blast from the engines, our plane lifted off and for the second time in a year, I am leaving Laos again. As the plane leveled off, I peeked out my window. Below me, among the thousands of dimly lit houses was May and her little store. Down there, was someone I truly cared for.  Quietly, I whisper, “May, I will be back for you”.

Well, that’s my trip. The 4 little old ladies and I parted ways in Hanoi, their route included Japan than onto LAX, while mine was to South Korea and San Francisco.

As for Laos, despite what you have heard and think you know, unless you have been there yourself, you must not judge.  Laos is neither good nor bad, it is neither heaven nor hell, and it is definitely nothing like the stories you have heard. Laos is both beautiful and simple. The people are friendly and warm. It is what it is and nothing more. I truly hope you have a chance to visit Laos someday. And if you still need a reason, go find where your grandparents came from, go find your roots. Because like the old saying goes, “it’s your past that defines your future” and without knowing our past, how can we know who we are today. Again, go with an open mind and I promise, you will have a great time.

Until next time, good bye and good luck to you all… I promise I will stop by, from time to time, and check on everyone. Perhaps give you all an update on how things are going for May and I.

Happy Travels, LHG

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 27, 2013, 12:58:26 AM »
LHG, please don't go too long. ;) (Taken from your context)

TH - don't worry, I am not far away. If you ever need me, just call. I will come.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 27, 2013, 01:00:17 AM »
LHG

Thank- you for sharing your travels with us.

Be well and happy...

:)

Boo,

Thank you... It was a pleasure to share with you all a little piece of my life. I am glad you enjoyed it, it was fun telling my stories.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 27, 2013, 01:00:59 AM »
Master Author LHG,

Before you go...questions .

1.  Tell us more about the bribe bags this time you went; did you have bribe them $10-20 again? why?

2.  Those little ladies, they are the mother of the 2nd wife of Hmong American aren't they?

thank.s

Hello My Beautiful Hmong Girl...

Why does your beautiful face haunt my dreams every night? I can't get you out of my head. So of course, for you, anything, I would be more than happy to answer your questions.

After departing the plane, everyone must pass the Borders/Customs Gate at Wattay Airport, which has two lines. If you have a Pre-approved Visa, you go to Left line, if NOT, you go to Right line. I went onto the Right side where an Immigration Clerk was waiting. Everyone in this line must have a passport photo and will need to fill out a "Visa on Arrival Form". The Visa Form comes in 2 parts; on one side is the "Entry" and on the other side is the “Exit” questionnaire. For faster processing, don't wait until after you have already filled have your Visa Application to get in line. I suggest you stand inline while filling out the form. Filling out the form takes time and the line will become longer as you wait.

On the right line, the "First Immigration Clerk" you see will the most important person in Laos. He/She will either approve or deny your Visa claim. 99.9999 percent of the time you will be approved for a Visa. I have yet to see anyone denial, although I have heard stories of with certain individuals. Typically, individuals who have VANG last names and are of the Vietnam War era. For "First Timers" to Laos, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get your VISA before you go!

After you’re approved for a Visa, you will have to visit a “Second Immigration Clerk". Here is where you will have to pay the 35.00 US Dollars processing fee. Exact change is NOT necessary as they will have US money in change for you.

After paying your processing fee for your Visa, you’re ushered onto a Third and final Immigration Clerk. At this third location, you meet up again with those people from the Left Line, pre-approved Visas. This last Immigration Clerk will ask you how long you will be staying and where you’re staying. He takes your picture, stamps your Passport for entry and takes the “Entry” part of your Visa Application. The "Exit" part of your Visa Application, you will keep with your Visa and needs to be in a secure place.

After the last Immigration Clerk clears you, you are free walk downstairs and claim your luggage. Because of all the paperwork, your bags would have already been out and a Laos porter would already have gathered them for you. Personally, I think the Immigration Clerks and the Porters are in a scam to get your money. The Immigration Clerks hold you for as long as they can, while the Porters assess your luggage to see if how much money they can extort from you... but again, just my person opinion. The Laos porters will demand 1 US Dollars each of your luggage, handling fee help you outside. 99% of the time, the Porters will take you to the Customs/XRAY room, where a Laos Officer is waiting for you. Regardless of what you have, if you don't want to get hassled and want to get out quickly, you best hand this guy a 20.00 Dollar. Just tell him in English, "I have nothing to declare" and hand him the money. (Conveniently) He's the only one in that room... so he just pockets the money and turns a blind eye to whatever the XRAY machine finds in your suitcases. For all he knows, I could have smuggled into Laos a nuclear bomb and he would not care, he waves me thru... (Luckily I did not a bomb, but I could have) :).

The 4 little old ladies DID NOT have son-in-laws in the US, I will explain this in a bit, they are just visiting their brothers, sisters, or in one case, her mother.

For some strange reason, A LOT of Visas have been approved to enter the USA, more than previous years. Either the rules have changed or the person doing interviewing at the US Embassy is being really generous. I heard some rumors, that officials are taking bribes, some as high as 8,000 US Dollars, that guarantees passage. In every town I was in, people are saying the same thing. Personally, I don’t know what to make of it. If anyone else has heard anything else, please let me know.

Hope this helps… sorry to be so winded in my answer, but now I hope everyone has a better idea of the Visa Process and “Palm” painting that goes on at the airport.

LHG

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:03:45 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

NceegVaj

« Reply #469 on: April 29, 2013, 01:01:07 PM »
oh, why, thanks for compliments.  I could really use them to boost my daily grievance.  Make me wonder on how I can peek at you, even for just a couple seconds.  I know better about going around stealing things someone has owned thought.

I appreciate the bribery bag explanation.  I just hate to bribe them hog at the airport.  I will be working on hatching a plan to get me the strongest and youngest Hmong bull I can find in Laos soon.  Us divorocee are toooooo distracted to find love in the USA here.   All the young bulls are always sniffing the young ones so chances are slim here.  Hence, need to know the techniques not to bribe anyone in Laos at the Airport so a save $$$ for better action things.

-Nceeg

Hello My Beautiful Hmong Girl...

Why does your beautiful face haunt my dreams every night? I can't get you out of my head. So of course, for you, anything, I would be more than happy to answer your questions.

After departing the plane, everyone must pass the Borders/Customs Gate at Wattay Airport, which has two lines. If you have a Pre-approved Visa, you go to Left line, if NOT, you go to Right line. I went onto the Right side where an Immigration Clerk was waiting. Everyone in this line must have a passport photo and will need to fill out a "Visa on Arrival Form". The Visa Form comes in 2 parts; on one side is the "Entry" and on the other side is the “Exit” questionnaire. For faster processing, don't wait until after you have already filled have your Visa Application to get in line. I suggest you stand inline while filling out the form. Filling out the form takes time and the line will become longer as you wait.

On the right line, the "First Immigration Clerk" you see will the most important person in Laos. He/She will either approve or deny your Visa claim. 99.9999 percent of the time you will be approved for a Visa. I have yet to see anyone denial, although I have heard stories of with certain individuals. Typically, individuals who have VANG last names and are of the Vietnam War era. For "First Timers" to Laos, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get your VISA before you go!

After you’re approved for a Visa, you will have to visit a “Second Immigration Clerk". Here is where you will have to pay the 35.00 US Dollars processing fee. Exact change is NOT necessary as they will have US money in change for you.

After paying your processing fee for your Visa, you’re ushered onto a Third and final Immigration Clerk. At this third location, you meet up again with those people from the Left Line, pre-approved Visas. This last Immigration Clerk will ask you how long you will be staying and where you’re staying. He takes your picture, stamps your Passport for entry and takes the “Entry” part of your Visa Application. The "Exit" part of your Visa Application, you will keep with your Visa and needs to be in a secure place.

After the last Immigration Clerk clears you, you are free walk downstairs and claim your luggage. Because of all the paperwork, your bags would have already been out and a Laos porter would already have gathered them for you. Personally, I think the Immigration Clerks and the Porters are in a scam to get your money. The Immigration Clerks hold you for as long as they can, while the Porters assess your luggage to see if how much money they can extort from you... but again, just my person opinion. The Laos porters will demand 1 US Dollars each of your luggage, handling fee help you outside. 99% of the time, the Porters will take you to the Customs/XRAY room, where a Laos Officer is waiting for you. Regardless of what you have, if you don't want to get hassled and want to get out quickly, you best hand this guy a 20.00 Dollar. Just tell him in English, "I have nothing to declare" and hand him the money. (Conveniently) He's the only one in that room... so he just pockets the money and turns a blind eye to whatever the XRAY machine finds in your suitcases. For all he knows, I could have smuggled into Laos a nuclear bomb and he would not care, he waves me thru... (Luckily I did not a bomb, but I could have) :).

The 4 little old ladies DID NOT have son-in-laws in the US, I will explain this in a bit, they are just visiting their brothers, sisters, or in one case, her mother.

For some strange reason, A LOT of Visas have been approved to enter the USA, more than previous years. Either the rules have changed or the person doing interviewing at the US Embassy is being really generous. I heard some rumors, that officials are taking bribes, some as high as 8,000 US Dollars, that guarantees passage. In every town I was in, people are saying the same thing. Personally, I don’t know what to make of it. If anyone else has heard anything else, please let me know.

Hope this helps… sorry to be so winded in my answer, but now I hope everyone has a better idea of the Visa Process and “Palm” painting that goes on at the airport.

LHG

yoursunrise4ever

« Reply #470 on: April 30, 2013, 08:02:13 PM »
LHG, check your pm. :)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 01, 2013, 05:24:26 PM »

The Night Market in Vientiane, Laos. Located near the Mekong River.

Night Market Again, sorry about the glare.

Lao Beer where I met some Lao Girls.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 01, 2013, 05:30:56 PM »

Morning Market in Vientiane, Lao @ 6:00 AM

Morning Market, Meat Section

Leaving Morning Market

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 01, 2013, 05:35:40 PM »

1 Kg of Rambutan and Water for my Hotel room, Vientiane, Laos.

Outside my hotel, Vientiane, Laos

Lunch near the Mekong River, Laos

Victory Park, Vientiane Park, Laos

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 01, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »

Second Day at Talad Sao "Morning Market", Vientiane, Laos.

Bus Station Vientiane, Laos... going to KM52 and Nong Hai.

Jogging on a dirt Road in Nong Hai, Laos.

May's Store in Nong Hai, Laos

Like this post: +1

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 01, 2013, 05:47:33 PM »

Caves in Nong Hai, Laos, Back of May's Head.

Cave in Nong Hai, Laos.

Me coming out of the Cave in Nong Hai, Laos.

Dusty Road back to my aunt's village in Nong Hai, Laos.

LHG

yoursunrise4ever

« Reply #476 on: May 01, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
I want to sit by the mekong river and eat those rambutan all day just watching the boat and strangers passing by.

Thank you for sharing such beautiful pictures with us. Now, I want to go to Laos.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 01, 2013, 05:58:08 PM »

View from my hotel room, Vang Vieng, Laos.

Nam Song before PeiMai, Vang Vieng, Laos

View from Hotel Room, Vang Vieng, Laos

First day of Laos New Year, Vang, Vieng, Laos. Nam Song River

Laos New Year, Vang Vieng, Laos. Nam Song River

Nam Song River, Vang Vieng, Laos

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 01, 2013, 06:08:52 PM »

Storm outside my hotel, Vang Vieng, Laos.

Road heading back to Nong Hai to see May.

Nam Song, Vang Vieng, Laos

Bus Station, Vang Vieng, Laos

Exotic Street Food, on the road to Nong Hai, Laos

NceegVaj

« Reply #479 on: May 01, 2013, 10:51:48 PM »
 :)  Nice pictures  O0  we are now with you all the way to Laos and back.  Thanks for sharing you are the man !

oh, so time to go take my passport this Friday.

Advertisements