Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 227104 times)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #525 on: May 22, 2013, 09:55:45 PM »
Continued from April 24th 2013

So once we got to the border and crossing to the other side, first you get in line to get your passport and visa check, they check your luggage thru their xray and then finally a final check by the gates and then your finally stepping on Laos ground around 11am. Let me say it was super HOT and at that time i'm already sweating when i finally got thru the check. I can see my niam tais and her family already by the gates waiting patiently for us and I rushed over to get a hug. Finally at last we were in LAOS.... my first thought was "this is it!" lol. So once we got all our stuff we drove to Vientiane Talat Sao (mall). They are in the process of expanding the mall to make it a bit bigger. We stop there to eat first before heading to lav 52. First dish there I had was Papaya! I think from aside of all the papaya i had in Laos, the one at the Mall was the best... and with sticky rice. Had fresh young coconut drink and logans, lychees, mangos, and bananas.

After shopping at the Talat Sao we then left to lav 52. I think it was like a 45 min to 1hr drive. We went to my niam tais daughters motel where we stayed there. For those who have been there probably knows the place. I don't remember the name of the place but its a motel with a nightclub. We bought some food at the market in lav 52 to make later for dinner. That night we had chicken with my mom's favorite bamboo. We had finish eating dinner and I had brought the dishes to the kitchen to wash and the little hmong boy came and grab it from me and said "muaj kuv mam ua os". And I was suprise and told the little boy I was gonna do it but then he took it off me and washed it. I asked my cousin who he was and he replied that the boy was a worker who served beer and clean and washes dishes for them. the little boy's older brother couldn't come so he made the little brother come and work for him.

So going back to my cousins nightclub/bar/motel. I felt very bad at how the place is run with Prostitution and child labor. I understand that it's a easy way of making a living but i felt very disgusted and really didn't want to stay there but it's family so I had to just bear it. That night the weather cool down, the music was on full blast with lao and thai songs. You can see all the girls putting on makeup and dressing up to start their shift. There are at least 5-6 prostitutes waiting out by the gates waiting for business. Seeing girls going and coming out from the motel room. I saw Hmong Meka, hmong nplog and nplog trying to get prostitutes for a quickie with the girls. There will be some hmong og's as old as my grandpa there wasting their money on these prostitutes. I feel bad for those hmong meka who goes and look like dogs. I understand if they go and visit laos or relatives but when you know u have a family to support save yourself some face and do better. I don't blame it on the guys for the most part but I guess its just a way of living to get quick money for the girls. I asked my cousin why these girls became prostitute and they said that most of the girls are usually from the tojsiab who were sent there to make money to send back to their families and some just like the money. The girls will then make the money for themself and just provide my cousin the fee for the motel and beer. Whatever they make they keep. The girls live in a room that is in the corner and is provided with food for some part I guess. The bar closes at 12pm and all the girls are then lock back up in the corner of the house and the gates are closed and lock.

To be continued

Great Summary LindaVue...

Just a couple of comments and questions for you.

Did the Laos Border Patrol Clerks "ask" you for money? If so, how much and did you give it?

Interesting observation on being in Laos... what did you think it was going to be like. You sound disappointed? Was it not like what you thought? What was different than what you had imagined?

As for the "Call Girls" at the hotels, I did hear of them. But truthfully, I did not visit any of the hotels where the girls worked. I cousin jokenly asked me if I wanted to visit one before I left, but I told him no, because I have already met May at that point.

May did tell me that she personally knew several girls from her village in Phonsavan that also went to work at he "hotels". Here is how they see it... you either break your back working in the rice fields and open markets for 30,000 kip a day OR you go work at the "hotels" for 100,000k an hour. Which would you rather do? The allure of big money in a short time is too overwhelming for some girls and they can not resist. I don't pity and I don't blame the girls that are selling their bodies, they must do what they do because they have to survive. But I do applaud those girls, the ones like May that choose to live above the it. I applaud the girls who, despite all their adversity, still thrives. Maybe that is why I am so attracted to May and have come to love her so much.

Thank you for the updates, keep them coming.

LHG

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

lindavue

« Reply #526 on: May 22, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »
lindavue, i wonder what LHG has to say about this prostitution.  i'm sure he stayed of hotels like this. 

could have taken advantage of that opportunity to ask for $$$ from those men and give to those girls. 

Funny. I should had lol... jk in a millions i wouldn't even do it.

MenyuamHmoob

« Reply #527 on: May 23, 2013, 01:47:59 PM »
LindaVue, i think for the most part, those girls and guys who meet up at those bars/clubs/hotels see it as a win-win situation.  The girl makes more than she can ever make in a month and the guy gets whatever he satisfy.  Kinda like, you scratch my back and i scratch yours.  In situations like these, only the classiest (ahem ahem...LHG's May), can resist.  ;D

lindavue

« Reply #528 on: May 23, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »
Great Summary LindaVue...

Just a couple of comments and questions for you.

Did the Laos Border Patrol Clerks "ask" you for money? If so, how much and did you give it?

Interesting observation on being in Laos... what did you think it was going to be like. You sound disappointed? Was it not like what you thought? What was different than what you had imagined?

As for the "Call Girls" at the hotels, I did hear of them. But truthfully, I did not visit any of the hotels where the girls worked. I cousin jokenly asked me if I wanted to visit one before I left, but I told him no, because I have already met May at that point.

May did tell me that she personally knew several girls from her village in Phonsavan that also went to work at he "hotels". Here is how they see it... you either break your back working in the rice fields and open markets for 30,000 kip a day OR you go work at the "hotels" for 100,000k an hour. Which would you rather do? The allure of big money in a short time is too overwhelming for some girls and they can not resist. I don't pity and I don't blame the girls that are selling their bodies, they must do what they do because they have to survive. But I do applaud those girls, the ones like May that choose to live above the it. I applaud the girls who, despite all their adversity, still thrives. Maybe that is why I am so attracted to May and have come to love her so much.

Thank you for the updates, keep them coming.

LHG

LHG,

No we didn't pay the border patrol anything except for the people who we ask to carry our luggage for us since we had alot. We went thru the process quickly and smoothly.

And No I was not dissappointed but rather tired and exhausted. It's my first time so I knew it won't be as what I picture it would be. However, I personally think that if I was to live in Laos, I rather would live in the Tojsiab rather than in the city. Will tell you about it later in my stories....

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 24, 2013, 10:24:54 AM »
LHG,

No we didn't pay the border patrol anything except for the people who we ask to carry our luggage for us since we had alot. We went thru the process quickly and smoothly.

And No I was not dissappointed but rather tired and exhausted. It's my first time so I knew it won't be as what I picture it would be. However, I personally think that if I was to live in Laos, I rather would live in the Tojsiab rather than in the city. Will tell you about it later in my stories....

Linda,

I would have to agree with you about where to live in Laos, Tojsiab is way better... places like Vientiane, KM52 and even Nong Hai is way too hot, at least it was for me. The humidity and heat was just way too much to take in. Vang Vieng was the only exception, it was pleasant.

BTW - keep the blogs coming. I can't wait any longer. :(

LHG

Luang Prabang and Phonsavan is where I would settle in if I was to live in Laos.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 29, 2013, 09:56:28 AM »
LHG,

Lindavue,  Hope you're well. Have not seen any of your updates for awhile. Are you ok?

LHG

lindavue

« Reply #531 on: May 29, 2013, 12:50:45 PM »
Lindavue,  Hope you're well. Have not seen any of your updates for awhile. Are you ok?

LHG

I have actually been busy trying to catch up on work so I can fly out again to Laos in the next few months here lol. trying get all my pictures and vids organize. BTW let me know if u are able to find any cheaper deals to laos for me flying out from either MN or the west coast there. i'm probably looking in to fly around either 08/30/2013-09/08/2013 or 11/22/2013-12/01/2013. It will be a short vacay... but i think it will be worth it.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 29, 2013, 02:40:32 PM »
I have actually been busy trying to catch up on work so I can fly out again to Laos in the next few months here lol. trying get all my pictures and vids organize. BTW let me know if u are able to find any cheaper deals to laos for me flying out from either MN or the west coast there. i'm probably looking in to fly around either 08/30/2013-09/08/2013 or 11/22/2013-12/01/2013. It will be a short vacay... but i think it will be worth it.

How freakishly odd is this... I am also looking at just about the same timeframes for my travels. The best prices I have found for my 8/31/2013 - 09/14/2013 travel is on CheapOair.com flying out of SFO to VTE on China Eastern.  Total price is 1100 round trip. I am very close to making my decision... I just have a couple of lingering thoughts that is bugging me. 1. I have never booked with Cheapoair.  2. I have never flown with China Eastern before.

Today, I have an appt with one of the local Asian travel agencies. I am going to do some final price comparisons and will probably book my flights before the end of the month.

I bet I already know your reasons… but if you don’t mind me saying, 1 week is way too short to be traveling to Laos. Basically, you lose 2-3 days just do to traveling, which means you only get about 4-5 days to spend in Laos. If you can swing it, you should stay at least 2 weeks to make it worth your time and money. Just a thought I had.
I will update you again when I have something new to report. For now, good luck to you. For selfish reasons, (and only you can understand) I am your biggest fan right now!!!!

$988, Total $1102.42 China Eastern
$1229, Total $1334.82  Lao Airways
$1325, Total $1393.90  Vietnam Airlines

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:45:04 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Like this post: +1

lindavue

« Reply #533 on: May 29, 2013, 03:44:36 PM »
How freakishly odd is this... I am also looking at just about the same timeframes for my travels. The best prices I have found for my 8/31/2013 - 09/14/2013 travel is on CheapOair.com flying out of SFO to VTE on China Eastern.  Total price is 1100 round trip. I am very close to making my decision... I just have a couple of lingering thoughts that is bugging me. 1. I have never booked with Cheapoair.  2. I have never flown with China Eastern before.

Today, I have an appt with one of the local Asian travel agencies. I am going to do some final price comparisons and will probably book my flights before the end of the month.

I bet I already know your reasons… but if you don’t mind me saying, 1 week is way too short to be traveling to Laos. Basically, you lose 2-3 days just do to traveling, which means you only get about 4-5 days to spend in Laos. If you can swing it, you should stay at least 2 weeks to make it worth your time and money. Just a thought I had.
I will update you again when I have something new to report. For now, good luck to you. For selfish reasons, (and only you can understand) I am your biggest fan right now!!!!

$988, Total $1102.42 China Eastern
$1229, Total $1334.82  Lao Airways
$1325, Total $1393.90  Vietnam Airlines

This sure is freaky and I know its too short but its worth it for me hahaha. Do let me know what you find out...and Thank You!...

yoursunrise4ever

« Reply #534 on: May 29, 2013, 04:08:16 PM »
LHG,

I wish you well on your next trip back to Laos. Remember to keep us posted.

Always,

Sunrise

SleeplessBeauty

« Reply #535 on: May 29, 2013, 07:28:13 PM »

So going back to my cousins nightclub/bar/motel. I felt very bad at how the place is run with Prostitution and child labor. I understand that it's a easy way of making a living but i felt very disgusted and really didn't want to stay there but it's family so I had to just bear it. That night the weather cool down, the music was on full blast with lao and thai songs. You can see all the girls putting on makeup and dressing up to start their shift. There are at least 5-6 prostitutes waiting out by the gates waiting for business. Seeing girls going and coming out from the motel room. I saw Hmong Meka, hmong nplog and nplog trying to get prostitutes for a quickie with the girls. There will be some hmong og's as old as my grandpa there wasting their money on these prostitutes. I feel bad for those hmong meka who goes and look like dogs. I understand if they go and visit laos or relatives but when you know u have a family to support save yourself some face and do better. I don't blame it on the guys for the most part but I guess its just a way of living to get quick money for the girls. I asked my cousin why these girls became prostitute and they said that most of the girls are usually from the tojsiab who were sent there to make money to send back to their families and some just like the money. The girls will then make the money for themself and just provide my cousin the fee for the motel and beer. Whatever they make they keep. The girls live in a room that is in the corner and is provided with food for some part I guess. The bar closes at 12pm and all the girls are then lock back up in the corner of the house and the gates are closed and lock.

To be continued

Alright! after reading this, my significant other isn't going to Laos alone or ever!! Thanks for sharing.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 29, 2013, 08:49:53 PM »
Alright! after reading this, my significant other isn't going to Laos alone or ever!! Thanks for sharing.

Don't think that strategy will work. If your "significant other" wants to or is that type, he will get it done regardless of location as prostitution is easily accessible in pretty much every corner of the globe. In fact, if you tell him no, it might just motivate him to do it even more...kind of like telling a kid no drives him towards it more.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 30, 2013, 10:18:02 AM »
Don't think that strategy will work. If your "significant other" wants to or is that type, he will get it done regardless of location as prostitution is easily accessible in pretty much every corner of the globe. In fact, if you tell him no, it might just motivate him to do it even more...kind of like telling a kid no drives him towards it more.

SleeplessBeaut y

This is probably not the right forum or place for this discussion... so, I will be brief. I don’t condone cheating spouses, I think they are some of the lowest lifeforms on earth, next to divorce lawyers in my book. Having said that, I would have to agree with theKing. I believe that if your husband/wife is going to cheat on you, he/she will do it regardless of where you travel or where you live. If someone truly loves you, they should honor and love you dispite the temptations that may lay in front of them. Trust is the key. I would rather let my spouse roam, knowing that I can trust her completely than having her caged and having to worry if she will cheat on me when I have my back turned.

LHG

Like this post: +2

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 30, 2013, 10:29:51 AM »

This sure is freaky and I know its too short but its worth it for me hahaha. Do let me know what you find out...and Thank You!...

I met with a travel agent yesterday... 1100.00 is the lowest price. Good luck to you. I will book my ticket this weekend.

BTW - Please finish your travel journeys, we are all anxiously waiting to hear the ending.

LHG

AOZ

« Reply #539 on: May 30, 2013, 10:49:46 AM »
wow.... so both LHG and lindavue are going back?

i'm so happy for you two to have found love over there....

here's a song for both of you... to reunite with your loved ones soon.

Advertisements