Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 227132 times)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #600 on: November 13, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
Have a wonderful trip! I wish I was going too.  I'll have eggs and ramen diet for the next two years and hopefully my wish may come true.  We'll see.

Hello Champa!

I hope you and yours are well. I wish you could come too... truly I do. Hopefully your wait will not be long and it will be worth it once you do go. Good luck.

LHG

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 13, 2013, 10:14:54 AM »
Demons in the dark.

What do you fear the most in life?  I don’t mean something like a scary movie or the fear you may experience after being in a car accident. What demons haunt you in your dreams? What keeps you up late at night? My greatest fear in life was to be poor.

Growing up, we were always poor. My parents came to this country with only the clothes on their backs and with no formal education; we were on public assistance for most of my childhood. Looking back, my brothers, my sister and I had to do without many of the things most of the other kids took for granted.

We only went cloth shopping once a year and it was usually right before school started. All the kids would get a pair of shoes and some clothing, usually 2 pair of pants and a couple of shirts, but that was the extend of our budget. We coveted brands like Reebok, Levi’s and Guess… like our lives depended on it. For a teenager with friends who came from working parents, it seemed humiliating. 

For the longest time, I blamed my parents; I blame them for being poor and for being uneducated. Most of all, I blame them for having me and bringing me into the situation we were in. It was not until later, much later that I realized the sacrifices my parents made to get us here.  I did not appreciate the things they did and that, what they did, was the best that they could have done given the resources they had.

All through college and evening into most of my adult life, I had to work very hard. While in college, I carried a full load while living off grants and working a part time job to support myself. My car was old and it did not have AC.  None of the tires matched and the car often overheated, sometimes leaving me stranded for hours. Even in the summer time, I had to turn on the heater just so the car would run. Sometimes, I did not have gas money and had to walk to school and work. I ate a lot of chicken and cup of noodles because it was cheap.  I visited a sit down restaurant for the first time after turning 25 years old.

Over the years, I have come to realize something very important and it has changed my life. We can let our fears overcome us or we can use fear as a motivation to better ourselves. We can see fear as an enemy, something to run away from or we can see fear as a friend who teaches us and shows us a way out. For better or for worst, fear has motivated me and has gotten me to be where I am today.  Of course, my journey is far from over, but now I know I am stronger today then I was yesterday.

In a little over 24 hours, I will be leaving for the airport. For this trip, I will be bringing my sister along with me.

Happy Travels,

LHG

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:17:54 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Like this post: +1

AOZ

« Reply #602 on: November 13, 2013, 10:53:39 AM »
safe traveling to you.

so it'll be one year since you seen may.   i'm sure that will be awkward and beautiful all at once.  dont' take to long to decide whether you want her here with you or not.  never know what tomorrow may bring.   O0

Gawmp

« Reply #603 on: November 13, 2013, 11:07:55 AM »
Have a safe trip and I hope you'd be much happier when you see May waiting for you at VTE. It would be nice to have that on video as a memorabilia.

I can just see the two of you + your sister travelling along that bumpy road to Non Hai. Soon (maybe next year) my wife and I will be travelling on that same road heading the same way to the same town as well.

couchpotato

« Reply #604 on: November 14, 2013, 04:23:32 AM »
Well, I am all packed... 2 large suitcases, 1 carryon and 1 backpack with my laptop and all of my electronics. I have my eticket in hand and got my passport back from the Lao embassy a few days ago. It will be exactly 7 days and 12 hours until my plane takes off from San Francisco.

I still need to visit the Postal Office and have them hold my mail, I still have to mow my lawn, I still need to visit my bank and withdraw some spending money and I still need to arrange for a ride to the airport.

It has not really hit me yet that I will be going to Laos. It still feels like it will be months from now.  I am nervous, scared and excited, all at the same time.

I will update this blog in about a week…

Happy Travels,

LHG

Safe travels LHG. :)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 19, 2013, 05:18:28 PM »
Good morning from the Lao People’s Democratic Republic… I hope this message finds everyone and finds everyone well.

It is a glorious morning here; the sun is just barely peaking out of the east, with beautiful shades of orange, red and light blue. The air is cool, moist and full of fragrance with just a hint of the Mekong River nearby. The streets below my hotel are still empty, the shops are still closed, and the tuk tuks are still silent.  I am in Vientiane, the capital of Laos and also the largest and most populist city. Even in a city of this size, I am still amaze at how quite and still the mornings can be.  I have not heard a single honking horn nor have I seen any flashing lights this morning. There is the absence of screeching tires and police sirens and there are no helicopters hovering over heard.

I love this time of the day... A new begining to all things and everything is possible. 

I think I will go downstairs and see if May is up… we have a big day ahead of us. We’re going to explore this city today!

Talk to you all soon,

LHG

Gawmp

« Reply #606 on: November 20, 2013, 08:14:54 AM »
Glad to hear you made it and glad to hear that you're close to the woman whom your heart yearned for  O0. How about a picture of the two of you in Vientiane? You can PM.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 20, 2013, 02:57:49 PM »
Good morning from the Lao People’s Democratic Republic… I hope this message finds everyone and finds everyone well.

It is a glorious morning here; the sun is just barely peaking out of the east, with beautiful shades of orange, red and light blue. The air is cool, moist and full of fragrance with just a hint of the Mekong River nearby. The streets below my hotel are still empty, the shops are still closed, and the tuk tuks are still silent.  I am in Vientiane, the capital of Laos and also the largest and most populist city. Even in a city of this size, I am still amaze at how quite and still the mornings can be.  I have not heard a single honking horn nor have I seen any flashing lights this morning. There is the absence of screeching tires and police sirens and there are no helicopters hovering over heard.

I love this time of the day... A new begining to all things and everything is possible. 

I think I will go downstairs and see if May is up… we have a big day ahead of us. We’re going to explore this city today!

Talk to you all soon,

LHG

Good to hear, thanks for the update! O0

baddabing

« Reply #608 on: November 20, 2013, 05:29:19 PM »
Hey Blablablablabl a,

Nothing to be envious over... I am not sure of your current life or financial situation, so I will only give you or anyone who's reading this just one advice. This is given from the heart.  :)

First, ask yoursrelf this question. 10 years from now, 20 years from now... or even 5 years from now. Will you be able to do things you're currently doing today? We often take our current situations for granted, I know I have... but everything can change at a moment's notice. So, if you're able to travel and have the means, you should do it. Don't save it for tomorrow. If you're single, go by yourself. If you're married, take your wife/husband. Go and see the world. Remember... in the end, what will you want to remember, being at work til 5:00 PM or being in Laos with your loved ones?

The choice is clear if you think about it... No one ever says they wished they had worked an extra hour of overtime on their deathbeds.

Happy Travels,

LHG

I agree with what you're saying.  O0

...go out and see other parts the world before you die, in other words enjoy life now while you can, don't say later, you'll miss out.

I am trying to get my mother to go back to visit Laos/thailand once again because she is old now.  She's scared of all the negative hypes about laos.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 21, 2013, 11:16:09 AM »
I agree with what you're saying.  O0

...go out and see other parts the world before you die, in other words enjoy life now while you can, don't say later, you'll miss out.

I am trying to get my mother to go back to visit Laos/thailand once again because she is old now.  She's scared of all the negative hypes about laos.

Hey Baddabing...

Good to hear from you... yes, by all means. Take your mom back, force her if you have too. :). Tell her don't believe all the hype. Laos is whatever she makes it.

Talk to you soon,

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 21, 2013, 11:17:03 AM »
Places to see and things to do in Vientiane… Part 1

The one thing to know about Laos is that this beautiful country is still developing; the roads are rough and not very well maintained, some houses and buildings are old and not up to code and there are no zoning laws whatsoever. However, to me, that’s part of the charm and allure that keeps bringing me back to Laos.  To us, the people who were born or raised abroad, living conditions in Laos may seem outdated and deplorable. But to those who live here, it is their way of life and the only thing they know. For those that live here, life is good and they are content. Please keep these thoughts in the back of your mind as you explore Laos… or any other developing country and I promise you, you will have a better time.

So, May and I headed down to Talad Sao (translation: Morning Market) to get some breakfast because I was starving for some Hmong food. My stomach was starting to settle down after my long flight and it wanted food. From our hotel, it was a brisk 15 minutes walk to Talad Sao through some narrow streets and back alleys lined with large trees cover in moss. Some roads were clearly marked and others were not, some intersections had signs and others were a free for all.  It was an awesome walk, holding May’s warm hands in the cool morning air.

Our first stop was the Khua Din Market, an open air market that sits directly across from Talad Sao and behind the main bus terminal in Vientiane. Unlike Talad Sao which is 3 stories high and in an enclosed building like most traditional western malls, the Khua Din Market is only one level and has no doors.  I would say it most resembles a flea market; everything is under a canvas, on the ground or in a shed. At the Khua Din Market, you will find fruits, vegetables, fresh meat, herbs and restaurants.  Most locals prefer to shop here as opposed to Talad Sao.

We found a restaurant that had Hmong owners. The restaurant was a small room in a cinder block building, probably no larger than 10X10. Inside, there was a large fridge filled with sodas and water and 3 small tables, all empty. Towards the back there was a bbq grill and on the floor stood 2 wooden stoves.  The wife stood near the front counter, next to 2 freshly boiled game chickens under a fishnet cover. There was a man in the back, grilling some bbq pork. The nice lady asked me if I had just come from America… I nodded my head yes.  For the life of me, I don’t know how they know it, but I swear we Hmong-Americans must stand out like sore thumbs; they can spot us from miles away. I sat down at the table closest to the street.

There were no table cloths, no menu given out to us and the floor was dirty. Flies were all around us and we can smell flumes from the nearby buses. I pointed to one of the boiled chickens and May nodded her head. We also had some bbq pork with some sticky rice... 2 bottles water help to wash everything down… it was a really good meal and my first taste of real food since leaving SFO.  Our tab, 100,000 kip or a little over 10.00 US dollars for the whole meal.

As we sat there, finishing our meal, I could not help but notice how beautiful May is. Her face was still soft, her eyes still bright and her smile still so warm. Only a few months has passed since we last saw each other, but somehow, it felt like a lifetime… we both have grown a little older and a lot closer too.

I love this woman.

Well, it is midnight… so good night all. I will catch you tomorrow.

LHG

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:43:14 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Like this post: -1

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 22, 2013, 09:41:25 AM »
How's the weather in Laos, still hot?  Enjoy and thank you for taking us, ph family, w/ you on your trip.

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

maipovci

« Reply #612 on: November 22, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »
hey lonelyhmgguy, a friend and i will be backpacking through se asian in couple of weeks. if you're still in laos, i would love to meet up. we'll be in laos on december 17th and through the 27th.

i'm excited for you.

boO

« Reply #613 on: November 22, 2013, 04:34:39 PM »
Hello friend...

Your stories warm my heart.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 22, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »
How's the weather in Laos, still hot?  Enjoy and thank you for taking us, ph family, w/ you on your trip.

Weather is awsome Champa... Cool in the mornings and evenings and mild in the afternoon. Wish you were here!

LHG

Advertisements